23 replies to this topic

#1 Gut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNear Dallas, TX

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:03 PM

I'm sure this discussion will be split, but I like the idea of increased roster limit (for the entire duration of the tournament) as long as PGI is firm in the amount of people they will pay tickets to come to Canada for:

Reasons for:

1. Allows teams a buffer over an extended period of time to allow for real life circumstances and team leavings without having to change rules or make allowances in the future.

2. Allows medium sized teams who won't send two teams into the tournament a deeper pool of talent and more participation.

Reasons against:

1. Possibly less teams involved.

Arguments against reasons against (Since I'm on the side of "reasons for":)

I don't feel like there will be too many teams that split off or merge from their main groups, and certainly fewer than those will continue in these new groups past tournament time. Meaning, lower group size limits will not increase the total amount of competition in the game overall in any meaningful lasting way.

My suggestion is to max out team sizes at 8 core + 8 sub, so at the very least if a team is able to fill their roster, they can practice playing against themselves 8v8 on the tournament build.

#2 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:35 PM

(After thinking about this I think I like the second option better. Keep the 12 total but allow swaps at some point later if people have to leave etc.)

The 8 core + 8 sub (16 total) sounds like a good compromise.

Another option is to let teams add people part way through.

Edited by XX Sulla XX, 11 April 2016 - 03:34 AM.

#3 Kamikaze Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationStay on Topic... STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:36 PM

I like the 8 + 8 suggestion.

But an alternate might be to allow a limited number of roster changes (locked in before the finals)

#4 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:16 PM

Have we found out whether any roster changes will be allowed yet? It's almost impossible to be sure that 8/12 players will be able to make a specific match time 5 months away when they won't find out the time until close to it.

On the other hand, a much larger roster limit would mean half the team wouldn't get to go to the finals. (are they flying in 8 or 12?)

#5 signal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:24 PM

Couldn't agree with increasing it more. I think this is the biggest reason why the 228th EU section is hesitant to sign up. Things change, and even those of us that could make every single MRBC match this season can't guarantee that we'll be avaliable for half a year. A bigger roster wpuldn't be mpre expensive in the finals either, since subs dont go for free.

#6 Better Call Saul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 144 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 01:31 AM

Agreed only 12 spots for 5 months is going to be hard on people especially if PGI designate the times @ which the games should be played.

#7 mrpetzold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:30 AM

12 spots might work if there are more possibilities to change both the 8, and the 4 reserves until the final. But one shouldnt be allowed to be at one team for the start, and another for the final f.ex. One should only be allowed to participate for 1 team.

#8 Gut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNear Dallas, TX

Posted 11 April 2016 - 02:02 PM

Reddit thread where there is a tremendous amount of discussion.

https://www.reddit.c...nt_roster_size/

#9 mr bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 328 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:22 PM

Frankly,
I think 8+8 will work better than 8+4.

Taking part in MRBC has only reinforced how badly you need a large roster for last minute cancellations by players.

#10 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:54 AM

View PostGut, on 10 April 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

I'm sure this discussion will be split, but I like the idea of increased roster limit (for the entire duration of the tournament) as long as PGI is firm in the amount of people they will pay tickets to come to Canada for:

Reasons for:

1. Allows teams a buffer over an extended period of time to allow for real life circumstances and team leavings without having to change rules or make allowances in the future.

2. Allows medium sized teams who won't send two teams into the tournament a deeper pool of talent and more participation.

Reasons against:

1. Possibly less teams involved.

Arguments against reasons against (Since I'm on the side of "reasons for"Posted Image

I don't feel like there will be too many teams that split off or merge from their main groups, and certainly fewer than those will continue in these new groups past tournament time. Meaning, lower group size limits will not increase the total amount of competition in the game overall in any meaningful lasting way.

My suggestion is to max out team sizes at 8 core + 8 sub, so at the very least if a team is able to fill their roster, they can practice playing against themselves 8v8 on the tournament build.

We agree, the roster limit of 12 will be difficult to maintain over the course of time. We are already trying to predict memebers schedule forward (known vacations, school, work, etc).

#11 F i s s i o n

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 02:40 PM

I'm with Gut on 8 + 8 fully. I'd personally love to participate in this tournament, but with only 4 subs I'm simply not confident enough in my schedule to risk potentially putting my team in a more difficult position should I be unable to attend. 4 more slots would afford many teams much needed flexibility and I hope this change is made directly.

#12 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 April 2016 - 03:46 PM

I like this idea. Very much.

#13 F i s s i o n

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:22 PM

Only a few days left and still no response from PGI on this?

#14 ALKALIN3

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 246 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:42 PM

The lack of any response from PGI here is irresponsible. Please open up dialog with the player base on this issue!

#15 Bilson

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • 8 posts
  • LocationOn An Island

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:42 PM

The limited roster size is exacerbated by having the rosters already locked in when:
  • There is no word on how scheduling is done
  • There is no word on what dates/days matches may be scheduled on
  • There is no word on the number of matches in the qualifiers. We can probably guess it will be 5 pools and infer the pool size, but we don't really know.
The "highest skill tournament in esports" is going to come down to Team Availability rather than Team Ability.

#16 MaxFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 339 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 08 May 2016 - 12:12 PM

It's going to be highest "no life" -skill tournament in esports. Luckily, I have high skill in having no life.

#17 ALKALIN3

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 246 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:45 AM

Still nothing? SMH...

Posted Image

#18 RjBass3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 635 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationKansas City MO.

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:49 AM

The 12 man total roster is fine, but not allowing swaps is what really hurts. Out of my team of 12, due to work shift changes, hardware and network issues, and one pilot who has had to bail out completely, I am now left with only seven active players. I think there needs to be one day, about a week before the tournament start date where we can swap out up to four players, otherwise I predict many teams won't be able to field the players needed on a regular basis, and if the rules are as they imply, a team will be disqualified from the tournament if they can't field 8 players for a single match.

#19 Hunter Watzas

• PipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:12 PM

I mean they talk about a 12 man roster and 4 man substitute but yet there was never an area for setting up substitutes when i was registering my team.... so i mean PGI failed at that and its directly in the rules (or they hid it very well)

#20 MaxFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 339 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:30 AM

No, that part was clear, it was 8+4=12, those 8 called core players that you had to have to participate and the 4 called as substitutes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users