7 replies to this topic

#1 Pineapple Salad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 142 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:04 PM

A hardware retailer near me has a sweet deal on a same model GPU that I currently have, which got me thinking about getting an SLI setup to bump my FPS up a bit and generally stabilize the performance more.

Given that MWO is the game that I spend most time with, my main concern is how does this game handle SLI? Any experiences?

#2 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 03:26 AM

From what I've heared it's bad with this game.

#3 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 05:51 AM

SLI would sometimes (rarely) work perfectly for me, but most of the time it was awful. Going from SLI GTX 660 TIs to a single GTX 980 was a major difference in visual quality, stability, and playability.

#4 healybob

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:39 PM

Running 2X980s on an older 2500k at 4.6ghx I get 60-80 FPS on most newer maps. On the older maps (Canyon Network and Frozen City) I get around 100-110. On most CW maps it hovers between 70-80. Settings are mostly Ultra, no AA, Afterglow off, PP medium, Shadows high. Res is 1440.

Single 980 I never saw it pass 90 FPS, most of the time I was seeing 60-70 FPS with occasional dips into the 40-50 range. (All of this was Pre-redesign on River City/Forest Colony.)

But with SLI, it is only worth it if you are already running a top end card. If you have something lower end like a 970 or 960 spend your money on a 980ti. Always go with the highest card you can afford before you add a second card.

One thing I forgot to mention, is that this game is horribly optimized and the maps have a lot of excessive and poorly used particle and texture effects that will bog down cards with lower memory counts, like the 950 and 960.

Edited by healybob, 22 April 2016 - 10:42 PM.

#5 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:48 PM

If you're going to SLi, make sure you use Nvidia Inspector to modify the MWO profile. This is the SLi compatibility bits that I used to get SLi working on my dual GTX 765m Laptop:

http://imgur.com/jy6r3FR

(for some reason the forum won't let me directly inject the image into the post anymore)

Also, I force AFR for one of the settings further down as well (not on the laptop atm, so can't take another screenshot)

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 22 April 2016 - 10:50 PM.

#6 GTV Zeratul

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:42 PM

Well it seems to be luck of the draw then, I've been gettinng similar performance as healybob but with all max settings/MSAA @ 5770x1080. I've never played with the Nvidia profiles as I wouldn't know what I was doing.

As for the badly optimized game, this has been majorly improved somewhere in the last 4 months. Before this optimisation I was lucky to reach 60FPS.

All this on a i7-3770 and two GTX 780's.

Edited by GTV Zeratul, 29 April 2016 - 02:43 PM.

#7 Destructicus

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:56 PM

Dual 970's here

When I finally got got it running I was actually disappointed I didn't see all that much of an improvement over my single card performance, it wasn't the boost I was hoping for.

That being said, in my experience it's not any worse than a single card, it definitely keeps.

tl;dr SLI works fine, but not as much as it does for other games.

#8 Dyhalto

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:16 PM

This game is about 75% CPU driven, try getting in a drop and pushing Rshift + F11. If your FPS increased significantly then your GPU is already being held back and the biggest gain you'll get is from a CPU with high clocked cores not lots of low clocked cores.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users