So...
This was the timing given by PGI for match timings

ASIA AND OCEANIC (SINGAPORE)

6:00 PM
6:30 PM
7:00 PM
7:30 PM
8:00 PM

I'm going to be pretty honest about this based on our MRBC timings thus far.

These timings will only work for us (GMT+8) on the weekends. I'm going to make a sweeping generalization for the players I know and play with in the region.

Most Singaporeans/Malaysians/Indonesians/Philippine players I know do not usually get home till around 7.30pm - 8pm most weekday nights. Which means most drops on weekdays don't happen especially if and when we need to play agains the AEST crowd due to the +3 time difference.

So, dear PGI, if you are ok being a ref for our matches on the weekends I'm pretty sure we should be able to get a match. Weekdays are however going to be more challenging.

These timings should be ok for the AEST crowd I reckon.

My $0.02

#2 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:04 PM

What days ?
what if teams does not want to play one day or can not work out a day ?
what is the fall back time and date?
What about +12 time zone forcing the +8 and lower to player within work hours ?

Most teams are good and flexible but there are always some that will force a team to get an advantage or forfeit.

#3 Kageru Ikazuchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:31 PM

While this is not perfect, with such a wide range of time zones to consider, it's a pretty good compromise.

For a start time of 8 pm in Singapore, it's midnight in New Zealand.

#4 Old Lancer

• Pip
  • The Messenger
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:47 PM

I agree with mr bear's point.
My unit is based in Singapore.
As working adults, most of us are online 10pm (Singapore) onwards.
We usually drop in CW from 10pm to 12 midnight on weekdays and 8pm on weekends.
I kindly request PGI to look into having a better timing for most of the players in this timezone.

Edited by Old Lancer, 21 April 2016 - 11:49 PM.

#5 Stoneblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 574 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCCAF Feng Yun

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:00 AM

I don't want to be "That guy" but here it is: If you want to compete in something, then do it. Find a way to do it. That is what a tournament is about. Be professional. If you were a professional body builder: would you complain about a competition that you had no guarantee of winning but wanted to compete in? NO. Times are set, you either show up or you don't. Be professional, don't be a whiner, GG.

#6 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:03 PM

As soon as I saw the times set, I already knew that any matches involving Asian teams would have to be done on weekends. So either that has to happen or PGI can just tell Asian teams to piss off unless their team members are students or have flexible work schedules.

#7 BattleUnitX

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:08 AM

I wouldn't go that far to comparing it to any professional tournament. This is a tournament in a game. No big cash prize at the end of the road. If someone can't take part due to timezones, it's just frustrating. Sounds to me that future tournaments need a better solution to offer players from all 3 timezones an equal shot at any tournament. If it stay's like this you'll likely give players living in asia the wrong impression, that they aren't as valued as the us or eu players.

Just my 2 cents.

Just checked the prizepool, and there is a big cash prize. I was wrong and it is indeed a professional tournament in my book. It's still a handicap for players with unfavorable timezones, but in the end Stoneblade is right.

Edited by BattleUnitX, 23 April 2016 - 02:06 AM.

#8 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:47 AM

View PostBattleUnitX, on 23 April 2016 - 12:08 AM, said:

... If it stay's like this you'll likely give players living in asia the wrong impression, that they aren't as valued as the us or eu players.

EU will have the same problem (if not worse).

#9 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:25 AM

Actually, the EU time zones are not too bad, they could be worse. Of course you will be facing problems with play times for shift workers, but all in all, most players are in GMT and GMT+1 and are able to get home by 19:00. The player numbers in the outlying timezones (Iceland and Israel will have more of a problem though).

#10 wDraco

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 132 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:08 AM

Same problem with the scheduling in central European Time, due to the limited time, the last time scheduling for my time zone will be at 8pm.
Almost every one on my team is working until 7pm (yes its normal), so that lives one hour to get home do everything else and start playing on the last schedule.
No way this can work, this problem will be happening in Irland, UK and Portugal.
Later games have to be implemented.

#11 wDraco

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 132 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:16 AM

View PostStoneblade, on 22 April 2016 - 11:00 AM, said:

I don't want to be "That guy" but here it is: If you want to compete in something, then do it. Find a way to do it. That is what a tournament is about. Be professional. If you were a professional body builder: would you complain about a competition that you had no guarantee of winning but wanted to compete in? NO. Times are set, you either show up or you don't. Be professional, don't be a whiner, GG.

I´m sorry to be that guy that call you stupid but... because I am a professional and have family to support i cannot say to my boss that I am going home to play some video game.

#12 Paradox42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:32 AM

Dude, right now you ARE "that guy". In case you haven't realized, people here are not complaining that they are not guaranteed to win. All they are asking for is to schedule on hours that are possible for the teams. There is not a single real sport, that doesn't take into account when players are available. Or have you ever seen something like an amateur soccer game scheduled during work hours on weekdays? And what we are talking about here when we are talking about mwo is a game that is played by people during their free time. Right now there is not a single professional player in mwo. If you are a tournament organizer, and I have been one for real sports tournaments on national and continental scale, it is your responsibility to find times that suite your community and give out information about times and dates before you ask people to sign up for your event, so they can make plans to attend.

#13 AngelusDD

• PipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Participant
  • WC 2018 Participant
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 01:46 AM

afaik the mode played (tournament wise) is round robin, where typically a team plays only 1 match against every other team in its "division/region". numbers of wins and losses of all games make the standings in the championship table.

View PostPrimus of ComStar, on 05 April 2016 - 05:06 PM, said:

In order for us to keep as many variables constant for fair gameplay, we will be selecting only one of the maps listed below to be used throughout the round robin process.

if that is what PGI is going for, then this means you have to fight a number of games depending on team registered. currently are 172 teams listed worldwide. so currently you have about 60 fights in 16 weeks, that is about 4 fights a week.
(but i guess number will rise abit until may 1st)

i hope PGI is so clever to allow teams with timezone problems to arrange alternative dates with pgi/referees. so any team who has really no option to fight on weekdays can schedule it to a weekend.
also it depends on the number of available referees.

Edited by AngelusDD, 26 April 2016 - 01:48 AM.

#14 mr bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 328 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:01 PM

The point of my original post is that, given the time constraints, pls be realistic and flexible and temper your expectations when trying to organize matches as everyone is going to be in different time zones with different commitment issues due to real life.

#15 Hades Trooper

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationWillow Tree, NSW

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:29 AM

well 1st off you gonna be putting off east coast Australians with those times, as Singapore is +8 GMT and East coast Australia is +10 GMT. so a 8pm match in Singapore would be 10pm for east coast Australians.

so all AEST teams would need to lock in a 6pm Singapore time or it's unworkable.

Edited by Hades Trooper, 27 April 2016 - 03:24 AM.

#16 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:46 AM

The times stated are based Singapore time (+8GMT/UTC). So 22:00 for AEST players is correct

http://mwomercs.com/...atch-time-intel

#17 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:17 PM

I understand your view but where I see an issue is how many matches can you really do this way. I plan on taking time off work if needed but if it have to do this every week for 2months it's not going to happen.

#18 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:44 PM

View PostHades Trooper, on 27 April 2016 - 01:29 AM, said:

well 1st off you gonna be putting off east coast Australians with those times, as Singapore is +8 GMT and East coast Australia is +10 GMT. so a 8pm match in Singapore would be 10pm for east coast Australians.

so all AEST teams would need to lock in a 6pm Singapore time or it's unworkable.

Most comps are played around 9 PM AEST ATM

#19 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 996 posts
  • Locationbetwixt the seen and heard, underneath the upperhanded, above the underhanded. Sunlit with a cloudy background.

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:36 PM

So many good points. I hope it works out for everyone.

It is so cool that the option To "HAVE" these problems. Right?

Just sayin...Gl HF

#20 Old Lancer

• Pip
  • The Messenger
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:03 PM

Unfortunately, most Singapore teams will not make it for a 6pm-7pm match.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users