101 replies to this topic

#41 ThatGuy539

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 372 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:38 AM

I'm not sure if this is a good idea....as I just thought of it...but what about adding a chance to knock down mechs that are in the Long Tom affected area.

It's been a long time since I saw mechs get knocked down. Kinda miss it a bit.

On second thought, maybe not. Might be a bit too irritating to get Long Tom'ed, survive but get knocked down, and then get shot at while you get up.

#42 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:40 AM

Great,...justgot disconnected from the servers as a ghost FW drop was about to happen, now my drop deck is locked and even after multiple re-logs and re-do's of the whole client... no rejoin button.

#43 ThatGuy539

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:49 AM

I wonder if you'll get a time penalty on the next drop. (for disconnecting and not reconnecting)

Edited by ThatGuy539, 21 April 2016 - 09:50 AM.

#44 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:34 AM

can we get a mini-map icon for the Long tom?

i have been killed by a friendly tom three times in one drop because i was unable to see the smoke through terrain and obstacles, a simple icon could avoid this by telling us where the shell is going to land and how large the blast will be.

Posted Image

#45 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:47 AM

View PostThatGuy539, on 21 April 2016 - 09:49 AM, said:

I wonder if you'll get a time penalty on the next drop. (for disconnecting and not reconnecting)

I did.

#46 DoctorDetroit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:57 AM

Good start. What about better reasons to spend coffer cbills other than overpriced unit invites?

#47 avenger cannon

• PipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:06 AM

I dunno if this is a bug but on my CRB-27SL I fired my 2 ERPPCs and then my 3 ML and then my 2 ERPPCs and then my 3 ML and had to overheat shutdown despite having the increased heat threshold and twelve heat sinks. Is there something I'm missing? I was on Grim Plexus and I don't see how I should have over heated so severely from 80 total points of heat generation.

On Caustic Valley my passive standing heat jumps from 5% to 30% when firing a single ERPPC

Walking at 9% I went to 50% or so with firing a pair.

Edited by avenger cannon, 21 April 2016 - 11:16 AM.

#48 ThatGuy539

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 372 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:12 AM

View Postzudukai, on 21 April 2016 - 10:34 AM, said:

can we get a mini-map icon for the Long tom?

i have been killed by a friendly tom three times in one drop because i was unable to see the smoke through terrain and obstacles, a simple icon could avoid this by telling us where the shell is going to land and how large the blast will be.

I like it! Posted Image

I've heard that some teams are rushing the other team when they know that the LT is going to hit. To cause the LT to hit that team as well.
Could the LT be made to avoid hitting an area if friendlies are in the zone?

Or maybe add a a Long Tom TAG laser, or a Long Tom module that would allow it to work like calling a normal Arty strike (should be easy to do).
It would suck if you dropped and there was no Long Tom available to use. But on the flip side, if there is a Long Tom, it would add some tactics as you could call in Long Toms to specific areas when they were ready.

Would be good for ECM scouts to use. Help avoid FF incidents. And add some control and tactics to how it's used.
Sneak in and BOOM!!

#49 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:26 AM

View PostNunatak73, on 21 April 2016 - 03:24 AM, said:

Give PGI time to make small adjustments via hotfixes.
Nothing is worse than knee jerk overkill reactions.

Besides...if one faction is putting in the time and effort to scout the HELL out of a planet,
it should give them a significant tactical advantage. If you don't want to face the LongTom,
do your scouting pre-invasion work. Posted Image

This.

#50 Freebrewer Bmore

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 64 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD, USA

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:50 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 21 April 2016 - 09:40 AM, said:

Great,...justgot disconnected from the servers as a ghost FW drop was about to happen, now my drop deck is locked and even after multiple re-logs and re-do's of the whole client... no rejoin button.

I thought they said this was already fixed? Happened to me on Tuesday but got fixed later that night.

View PostMcgral18, on 21 April 2016 - 08:41 AM, said:

They could make damage 1/7, and it would still have a 200M Instant Kill Zone (with some oddities), theoretically. As long as it deals that 33 damage, it will blow your face out.

Yeah, they should distribute the damage proportionally to component surface area or something, rather than however they do it now that keeps decapitating people. Plus they should give you some benefit for having terrain obstructions between you and the blast.

View PostNometh, on 20 April 2016 - 11:07 PM, said:

Besides, there are already weapons in the game that are next to obsolete. When was the last time you used Streak 2s or SRM2s or MGs outside of a Pirate's Bane or Ember? Oh and don't get me started on LRMs. With the current game mechanic they are next to useless. Lastly, did you really ever think about a game "Oh this game does not turn me on at all, but if it had more weapons, I'd be totally into it"?

IS Streak 2's? I've been using them constantly over the past couple days on Scout missions (aka StreakWarrior Online). And it's not just my bright idea: last night I was on a team of all PUGs and 3/4 of us happened to bring different chassis each loaded w/ SSRMs (KTO, CN9, SHD).

SRM2's are fine on variants with lots of spare missile hardpoints. Their short cooldown make them a huge bargain in terms of DPS-per-ton, and having 3-4 of them either offers a serious boost to a mid-range mech's brawling potency (which is how I use them on my DDC) or offers a long-range mech a respectable secondary armament with which to fend off lights for minimal weight investment (STK-3H w/ 4xPPC+4xSRM2 is pretty fun).

And sure, LRM effectiveness is inversely proportional to opponent quality, but they're not useless.

Anyway, yeah, I think adding weapons should be pretty low priority. They aren't going to really transform the gameplay for the better, and might even make it worse until rebalanced. On the other hand, making unpredictable, non-linear, non-MOBA, strategically interesting new map designs could massively improve the whole game experience.

Edited by Freebrewer Bmore, 21 April 2016 - 12:51 PM.

#51 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:40 PM

For consideration of fixes with the 4 vs 4 intel gathering minigame...

Placement of the beacons.
In the few examples of the mode I've tried, the locations of the beacons make absolutely no sense.
"Derp, look its data to be found in the middle of the snow plain..."
Why not data to be found overlooking a base from up high?
Why not data to be found while nearby an airfield? Or by tank/mech hangars? By anti-air guns? Overlooking tunnel entrances?

Why is it in the middle of nowhere with no visual 'target' to be collecting data of other than a random spinning pillar.
It's like the enemy's attempt at counter intelligence is to load their diabolical evil plans into several spinning antennaes and then send 4 mechs to close the 'trap'.

And why is the extraction zone so close to the data? There's no chase, they just appear and it's a bullet spam-fest until one team dies.

#52 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:53 PM

Those patch notes, sounds pretty good. Love the new Faction Play so far, both scouting (awesome hunt and getting hunted feel) and grouping Posted Image

#53 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:59 PM

View PostFreebrewer Bmore, on 21 April 2016 - 12:50 PM, said:

IS Streak 2's? I've been using them constantly over the past couple days on Scout missions (aka StreakWarrior Online). And it's not just my bright idea: last night I was on a team of all PUGs and 3/4 of us happened to bring different chassis each loaded w/ SSRMs (KTO, CN9, SHD).

Streak 2s are some of the worst weapons in the game currently.

Just because you like to use subpar weapons it doesn't mean they are good.

#54 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:34 PM

Will be placing previous post and this one into the feedback as well.

How I (Koniving) would have done this Recon Raid style "intel gathering" mission.
  • First: Deploy raiding party at one edge of the map. For ideal variety, have it be a random 'choice' of 4 to 8 points along the edge of the map to spawn in that the server decides on.
  • Next: Placement of "data beacons" (renamed to Recon Positions) adjacent to particular areas on the map that could pass as "observation points". So that data collecting feels like "Scouting." Ideally, these locations may have some sort of doodads conducting activity going on that may or may not react. If the mech is spotted by these doodads, the timer for collecting data may be penalized and the spotted mech could be fired upon.
    • There is just barely 40 seconds more time than would take for the party to split up, reach all 4 (or 6?) points, collect data and retreat to extraction point.
    • The intention of this very restrictive timer is to make it impossible to collect an adequate amount of data AND move in a deathball. At best the players might move in 2 mech teams but risk returning with only half the data. The objective is to collect intel, not duke it out.
  • Meanwhile: Two defenders are spawned in separate locations from one another, positioned near or within -- but not overlooking -- points of interest (preferably within hangars) positioned and spawned as soon as a spot occurs or within a set amount of time after the mission starts. The other two defenders are spawned along an edge of the map in one of several logical locations (which appears to be a path leading away from the map, there are several on each map and they cosmetically are pleasing as spawning points), their spawn should also be triggered by either the first spotting or by a set amount of time into the match. This means you have two mechs powering up in defense of facilities and two mechs either on or returning from a patrol.
    • Between the necessity to split up in order to "observe" as many positions as possible within the time limit for any to greater success and the split pursuing forces, the "extraction" and even part of the scouting observations will always be under threat of a chase (and not a standing kill zone).
  • Extraction Phase: The Dropship comes at a set amount of time OR at a certain amount of data collected. Total data collection is obviously better, however partial data collection can still pass.
    • Once the dropship is enroute for extraction, do not have a countdown. Instead, have the dropship physically fly to the extraction point from the opposing end of the map or at least the center of the map (descending as it goes) and once it is in position it will start taking in mechs. Note: Any mech arriving at the dropship and able to wait '15' seconds (fair time to pretend to be 'picked up') will count as extracted.
    • Mechs can be collected ("extracted") individually, left to watch their teammates struggle to get extracted.
    • Dropship will NOT wait longer than 1 minute after arriving at extraction zone due to risk of being shot down.
      • Should dropship not receive a single mech within the time limit of the extraction, dropship gives comms about having to leave and is promptly shot down by a salvo of Arrow IV missiles or a planetary cannon or a passing Aerotech attack. Whatever visual proves visually satisfying, leaving the only possibility of any partial success in defeating the intercepting lance.
      • Should the dropship receive at least a single mech within the time limit of the extraction it will tell the remaining forces they are on their own and abandon them. Only data that makes it onto the ship counts; the rest are left to fight it out in a final stand of glory.
      • If at least # of observation positions have been 'collected' and brought to the dropship, there is a victory. If all points have been collected and make it back there is a major victory. The amount of victory shows in the results.
      • If no data makes it back to the ship, even if mechs (without data) have returned instead of perished, or if the ship itself does not make it back the match counts as a major victory for the defense allowing them to count against the intel gathering efforts of the offense.
    • The extraction point is deliberately chosen by the server from a selection of possible points as the FARTHEST point from the invader mechs, which it will reach in a somewhat realistic amount of travel time without arbitrary or forced timers.
    • During flight, the dropship will attack any force along the route without losing track of its primary goal of extracting mechs with data.
    • This means that the mechs will now have to run with the data, and dying will cause the data that specific mech has collected to be lost.
The thrill of getting away with scouting is the chase that ensues, which will feel VERY different from the typical camp and shoot fests that plague MWO. Thus a setup that ensures a chase will occur in almost every possible scenario will allow for this thrill to be experienced.

Edited by Koniving, 21 April 2016 - 02:58 PM.

#55 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:38 PM

Good suggestions Koniving, even better and different experience. And yeah, the scout missions I've had really made some tense and thrilling experiences. Having clanners hunting you while you are the last one and about to get to the dropship and safety. Its a refreshing game mode for FW.

#56 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:03 PM

View PostTordin, on 21 April 2016 - 02:38 PM, said:

Good suggestions Koniving, even better and different experience. And yeah, the scout missions I've had really made some tense and thrilling experiences. Having clanners hunting you while you are the last one and about to get to the dropship and safety. Its a refreshing game mode for FW.

I haven't had the luxury of that. My experience is a few Polar Highlands-like maps (seriously all 3 matches have been polar highlands)...

and the first time I found myself confused as to knowing when I'm capturing or succeeded in capturing the data.. Then rather literally the enemy team appeared to spawn in a deathball about 500 meters away (one second it was empty, next they just appeared about 20 meters off the ground and 'fell' into place)... A moment later there's a big marked ring to enter, dropship coming in... and in less than 10 seconds we're all inside the square, told to last a minute for extraction, and we're already surrounded with nowhere to go because "we're waiting to go."

Felt like chickens in a coup with the gate shut and some kids with shotguns just beyond the wall.

My sequential experiences weren't much better. :(

Maybe if I keep trying.

#57 Fobhopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 344 posts
  • LocationClan Nova Cat agent working for Davion

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:28 PM

View PostNometh, on 20 April 2016 - 11:07 PM, said:

More weapons means more balancing needed, which means more resources need to be allocated for balancing. And frankly, PGI's record of balancing isn't that great so far, so I doubt more weapons would be a true benefit for the game.

Besides, there are already weapons in the game that are next to obsolete. When was the last time you used Streak 2s or SRM2s or MGs outside of a Pirate's Bane or Ember? Oh and don't get me started on LRMs. With the current game mechanic they are next to useless.

We will be getting more weapons in the near future, things like heavy lasers and such are going to come, but they are holding out on an engine upgrade before they start introducing new stuff to the game.

SSRM's and MG are getting a second life thanks to scouting mode. Between the stampede of streak-crows, and tonnage limitations forcing barely used mechs into a new role, light weapons have gotten a new lease on life. Yeah they may not be of much use in Quick Play or Invasion, but I tell you those SSRM's are a damn lifesaver in Scouting. Have you ever tried to hit an Arctic Cheater Cheetah's with something other than SSRM's? Its nearly impossible to keep a solid track on those mechs even in the best of circumstances. I have tried running around in cicada's and locusts, and I get my *** handed to me. I jump into my centurion with lb10x and 3 ssrm's, and its like I'm a dwarf among gnomes, slaughtering jenners left and right.

#58 Cox Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationTryhard dimension

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:31 PM

Fixed an issue where slots would revert to Trial 'Mechs after any Mission.

Not fixed.

Edited by Cox Devalis, 21 April 2016 - 03:32 PM.

#59 tee5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:49 PM

Made one CW-Match 12 vs 12. Drop Deck was reset to Trial Mechs.
Makes no fun, to resave my mechs after every match.

Yeah I know sombody posted it, but the more people post it, more likely PGI will read it.

#60 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:53 PM

View PostNunatak73, on 21 April 2016 - 03:24 AM, said:

Give PGI time to make small adjustments via hotfixes.
Nothing is worse than knee jerk overkill reactions.

Besides...if one faction is putting in the time and effort to scout the HELL out of a planet,
it should give them a significant tactical advantage. If you don't want to face the LongTom,
do your scouting pre-invasion work. Posted Image

Only problem with the Long Tom and spending 2hrs grinding out scout points, is it's now getting used against you.

24hrs in - you've got 12 man teams just running in 3-4 lights to use the Long Tom against you (particularly with randoms who have NFI half the time).

I mean yeah it's tactical but it's hardly worth spending the time grinding it out before doing bigger drops if it hit allies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users