Scouting Missions Force New Meta?

34 replies to this topic

#21 happy mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:11 AM

1. clan weapons are op, and stormcrow has best upgrades and least crap equipment to make use of it
2. comparing usefulness of a 20 ton and 55 ton mech is just laughable, make whole deck with X tonnes limit and let players fill it with any mechs as they want, or there will be no balance as usual

#22 Pepito Sbazzeguti

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:03 PM

At the moment as IS is 5spls Ice Ferret I fear the most, 140 Kph with 30 pinpoint damage. That thing has agility and speed to dodge attacks, can overrun IS meds and has enough armor to duel with any IS scout, then 16DHS make it really hard to overheat respect a Cheeta or a Jenner with a similar speed.

For sure I will use it when I'll change contract to clans.

#23 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:05 AM

View Posthappy mech, on 01 May 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

1. clan weapons are op, and stormcrow has best upgrades and least crap equipment to make use of it
2. comparing usefulness of a 20 ton and 55 ton mech is just laughable, make whole deck with X tonnes limit and let players fill it with any mechs as they want, or there will be no balance as usual

4 lolcusts loling so hard while stealing intel that your fat turkeys won't haeve much to do.

adobt to what works, and play it right, thats all you need.

best counter the clanners have is the IFR and the Jenner IIC. ecause the only ones having speed and punch.

It's really cool that the IFR is now a rather good mech in this mode, just sad its one of the most ugly mechs in the entire BT universe.

#24 SamuraiPope

Rookie

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 12:15 PM

srms and lb 10s are the best counter to crows in my experience, me and my unit really struggled for the first day or so in scouting against the clans, now we can often crush a group of crows before they realize how screwed they are =]

#25 Jack Shayu Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 12:22 PM

No way, I rock the Nova. Been teaming up with guys from EPSI and running two Novas a Jenner IIC and a cheetah. that's been working out great.

#26 SamuraiPope

Rookie

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:02 AM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 02 May 2016 - 12:22 PM, said:

No way, I rock the Nova. Been teaming up with guys from EPSI and running two Novas a Jenner IIC and a cheetah. that's been working out great.

love playing against nova groups, your arms are so tasty it feels wrong =p

#27 Wywern

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:28 AM

Honestly, I think the problem is really the mechs clan has access to, or their hardpoints and weapons to be exact. IS just can't cope with the amount of SRMs the clans can boat with such light mechs. Also, before anyone starts talking about skill, when 2 pug groups are fighting, you can't expect much tactical gameplay from either and as such the one more suited for direct combat will many times win.

#28 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:23 AM

View PostFM Red Legs, on 20 April 2016 - 11:01 PM, said:

My unit has actually been having a lot of success with 2 novas, a storm crow and either a jenner or cheetah.

Bravo - Glad to see the Chevy Nova get some love. What are the loadouts that you run on them?

#29 Commander A9

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:51 AM

Not always.

My Jenner and Nova have been rocking the fields.

#30 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:38 PM

Well, all new battles force us to adapt and adjust to find out what works.

This will persist for awhile until something changes, then we'll adapt. It's just what we do.

#31 Commander Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:27 PM

it may have to do with the scarecrow being one of the better clan mediums.

#32 ManaValkyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 507 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 01 May 2016 - 08:58 AM, said:

Actually ran into a 4 man of kurita last night than ran pure fast mediums (at least one 2N and some Shadowhawk) but they were packing flamers and stun locked us to good effect. Most of these meta clan mechs depend on high heat- high alpha builds to counter their fragility compared to IS mechs. You have to cook yourself or chain fire to fight them, giving them an edge unless you really know how to play your mech. Kudos to them.

And remember, its only meta until someone out-metas it...

That was my unit (and the group I was in at the time) as I remember you commenting on it. We actually started running a couple of flamers on 1-2 mechs because of the fact, we counted on the high-heat of clan mechs, plus close in brawls with srms and spls. So we figured flamers would be useful especially in close quarters brawls.

Have seen a lot of other players now rocking Flamers, even some clan groups, because funnily enough a lot of the IS chassis are high heat builds with.

#33 The Puggernaut 216

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:54 PM

A lot of people saw this mode and just assumed the max weight was 55 so why NOT bring a SCR? It's 55 tons, decent armor, lots of options.

Not too many people look at the Nova for scouting though even though it's a pretty solid powerhouse itself and makes for an excellent support mech.

While it's not as fast the Nova seems to automatically spread damage because of how ugly it is. The boxy arms and wide torso hitboxes and the legs make SRM's a minor/medium threat.

I run mine like so

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ae36db1bfe49608

40 damage close range alpha that doesn't generate very much heat at all. You're taking two cool shots so you can blow something up. Mguns great for crit on the open srm racks or ammunition and they work well when paired with someone who has more splat than on-point damage.

The jumpjets aren't much of a help in most cases but better to have them. As for the BAP I found that it's useful to cancel out solo ECM. You can replace it with a targeting comp but honestly with the machine guns it's not really needed.

Edited by The Puggernaut 216, 04 May 2016 - 09:56 PM.

#34 Kyria Clearwater

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 02:04 PM

Yes scouting missions have there own "Meta" game, but funnily enough as one of my friends puts, the game mode is like rock, paper, scissors.

You can take certain mechs and builds into a match that will do well or are equal to other mech designs are poor to deal with other mech configurations.

For example Polar Highlands, take Nova's/Stormcrows and the enemy has all lights and you will struggle to catch them/stop an endzone rush, unless your well co-ordinated.

Take a streakcrow because you have run into nothing but lights, drop into your match and face nothing but splat-griffins/shadowhawks.

Sometimes you plain just get unlucky.

This mode for me and my friends is incredibly fun, and we mix up strategies a lot, one to keep it interesting and secondly because sometimes something just doesn't work right on a given day.

Both IS and Clan have mechs that are relatively comparable in performance. Clans have some medium mechs that are a little slower but can bring an array of differing weapons systems. The IS has more fixed weapons choices, but a little more speed in their mediums and a wider choice of chassis. Clan currently has 2 lights that I consider worthwhile for scouting, the artic cheeter(s) and the jenner-IIC variants. Both of these are comparable to the commonly run IS chassis.

Personally I prefer the Nova over the Stormcrow for Scouting, however sometimes, it may be the better choice for the fights dependent upon the group I am with and what we have routinely run up against.

#35 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:03 PM

Don't forget IS mechs are generally sturdier than clan, most having structure/armor quirks of some type...

So funny people worrying about streak boats... pick a fast, tanky medium and the damage just speads all over... like lrms, streaks can't target components. Streaks also take an eternity to reload.

I would be more concerned about the 4 ASRM6, 4SL crow...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users