Scouting Missions Force New Meta?

34 replies to this topic

#1 Victus B

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:38 PM

Am I missing something or are scouting missions pretty much All Scarecrows All the time?

Is there a reason to bring any mech other than the scarecrow unless you just don't own one?

Am I the only person who doesn't use the Scarecrow who has noticed a 100% lose rate when matched against 4 Scarecrows?

Edited by Victus B, 20 April 2016 - 08:46 PM.

#2 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:41 PM

Funnily seen quite a bit of variation on the IS side of things.. ..yet all I hear of clans is the SCR. Symptom of SCR OP or other clan mediums just under performing so badly in comparison....

#3 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:41 PM

3 skillcrows and a light works well, was doing it last night.

Its focus fire and coordination that is the key, you dont have that u loose every time.

#4 Victus B

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:48 PM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 20 April 2016 - 08:41 PM, said:

3 skillcrows and a light works well, was doing it last night.

Its focus fire and coordination that is the key, you dont have that u loose every time.

fair enough. I am rather new and not so good I know. But have been trying to stick to shortrange lights for ECM and scouting assits OR Shadowcats for ECM and longrange support (doesn't seem useful in scouting missions).

Just wondering if I was hindering my team by not being another Scarecrow.

#5 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:59 PM

All depends on how good or bad you are in the mech u are taking as to whether you are a hindrance or not.

ECM should always be welcome, crow brings da fire power but there should always be room for utility.

Edited by Carl Vickers, 20 April 2016 - 09:00 PM.

#6 JaidenHaze

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 738 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:06 PM

The best composition in my opinion is 3 Crows and 1 Jenner IIC.

The Crows should have 4 SRM 6 and 4 SPL with 2 Flamer. This may seem hot, but with enough fireing accuracy, Streaks are just redundant. SRMs are doing more DPS and you need that, if youre up against Wolverines, Centurions and Griffins. The Flamer are just a 1 ton filler and counter perfectly any build we are seeing right now. SPL are for finishing off any units, because running pure SRMs is risky. The team is lacking any form of pin point damage. You wouldnt believe, how many times i lived because the enemy had only SRMs. Finishing a match with less then 30% health and only one lost component wasnt uncommon.

The Jenner IIC brings the real deal to the table. You play with 6 SRM4, 2 Jumpjets and the 295 XL Engine for 146 KM/H Speed after tweak. That lets you chase down any pesky Locust or Commandos and you can even bully Cicadas. The amount of damage is insane, if you take 2 Coolshots and just pound them.

As of last Night, i reached something like 80 KMDD and 4 deaths playing Scouting with a Jenner IIC. Doing a couple of solo and small group Invasion games obviously tanked that stat a little bit, but it is really insane how good you can do, if you can play a Jenner IIC the right way.

#7 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:30 PM

^^^ I like that. JR7-IIC(O) is a fun one anyhow. Dropped my Streaks on the SCR for splat, with some SPLs to back it up, and had far better results. I've seen some folks doing alright in Novas, but the team really needs to seize the initiative for those to work well--you strip a Nova's arms, and it's gonna get left for last to be farmed.

I'm sad that the SadCat can't hold up better in this mode. But then, without MASC it only runs the same speed as a SCrow. It's lighter and has fewer hard points (and all that locked gear). This isn't the mode for the SadCat, unfortunately. Too much brawl.

ACHs should be able to do better, though. You'd think they would, anyhow. :-/

Well, gonna blow the dust off that JR7-IIC again over the weekend, and maybe tweak the build a little.

#8 Red-Mattila

• PipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:01 PM

My unit has actually been having a lot of success with 2 novas, a storm crow and either a jenner or cheetah.

#9 BSK

• Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:45 AM

4SPL and 3Streak6. Weaken one of their legs with the SPL and when they try to run away you send the streaks after them who kill the leg.

#10 KittenKrusher Prime

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:17 PM

Im running a SCR-D 3xSRM4 2XSRM6 artemis 1xMed pulse....Shooting for the legs, Seems to work for CCCD =D

#11 ejw0508

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:20 PM

In scouting I run a shadow cat 3sml pls 2 srm6 with artemus and ecm to support the storm crow.

#12 Quaamik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:11 PM

It is sad that there is too much brawl for the shadow cat.

Currently the game mode requires the attackers to run all over gathering data points, while the defenders just have to find and kill them. Since you don't know which you will be doing until launch, it pays to bring firepower more than ECM / Speed. And since even the fastest light or hardest hitting medium is toast if it runs into 4 mechs alone, it pays to deathball around the map.

The things I think would help:
- Change the mode:
---- require each mech to gather at least 1 data point to get rewards, that includes the defensive side.
---- Make the game match end immediately on the attackers losing all mechs, and the dropship immediately come in on the defenders losing all mechs.
(------------ These two combined would make the defensive side spend some effort gathering data points prior to engaging the attackers and destroying them all.)
---- allow the drop commander on the attackers to trigger the dropship return before the default times, say after 5 minutes into the match. This allows the attacking side to scoot if they have gathered data (scout and leave) and the attacking scouts to withdraw if they are being chopped up (rather than one last lone mech trying to run and hide for 5 - 10 minutes.
---- add a bunch of small lasers / small pulse lasers to the dropship. Enough so a "defending" mech is almost instant toast if its on the prop point while the dropship is there for pickup, but where they can be as little as 100 m off the drop point with no more damage than they currently take. Forces defenders to kill the attackers before they reach the drop ship, or to stand off a bit.

Changes tot he Shadow Cat specificly to make it more viable in this mode:
--- Give it a varient with more hard points. 3 energy on each arm, or 2 energy and a ballistic on each arm, or a missile and an energy on each arm would do the trick.
----

#13 Arctcwolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 12:43 AM

if scouting for points...2 crows and 2 jenners or cheetahs makes most sense. get to 11, get the dropship, form up, and handle the defenders.

if defending, 3 crows and 1 jenner or cheetah.

i find a 3x streak/mpulse layout crow makes sense. doesnt overheat and handles quick lights. sucks for invasion tho.

#14 Mordin Ashe

• 1,505 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:19 AM

Anything that can brawl well is viable in scouting. Streakcrows, sadly, are really not the case here. Having some might help a lot though because Oxide is far too common to be completely ignored. SPLs+streaks or SRMs+some streaks works very well.

Many experienced IS teams try to leg you with BJs so be prepared for that. Having at least one light is beneficial because some maps are too big for SCR to cross safely.

#15 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:23 AM

The reason for so many Stormcrows is simply = omnimech. Just because you see 4 stormcrows every game doesn't mean the loadouts are all the same. Yes, the Skillcrow (streaks) seem to be highly prevalent, but they are also one of the easiest to kill by organized fire (that high cooldown of clan streak 6's gives a nice long window for focused fire to leg/torso the skillcrow). IS will always have a higher mix of different mechs because the different medium IS mechs all fit different roles/loadouts, while the Crow being Omni can do it all (but not all at once).

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 25 April 2016 - 10:24 AM.

#16 Belkor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 385 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:43 AM

Are laser vomit stormcrows viable in scouting or do you have to take SRMs?

#17 KrocodockleTheBooBoxLoader-GetIn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:11 AM

Haven't played a lot of scouting, just enough to realize my laser vomit mechs aren't that great. And the instant win LZ kinda sucks. I hope they put 10-15 sec timer on it.

As for builds i haven't tried it yet but i wonder if IS will switch to ER lights in response to stormcrow brawlers

#18 demoyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 354 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:01 AM

View PostBelkor, on 01 May 2016 - 05:43 AM, said:

Are laser vomit stormcrows viable in scouting or do you have to take SRMs?

The traditional laser vomit SCRs (3 lpl or 1 lpl and 4 erml) are not viable in scouting. Almost all fights happen within 200 or 300 meters.

Edited by demoyn, 01 May 2016 - 08:02 AM.

#19 Gyr Falcon

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:06 AM

Srms and streaks seem to be OP in Scouting. Oxides, GRF 2N, and Cents seem good on the IS side with Oxides being the best really...hard to hit, hard hitting back. Clan I can't say but a streak crow did knock me down very fast

#20 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:58 AM

Actually ran into a 4 man of kurita last night than ran pure fast mediums (at least one 2N and some Shadowhawk) but they were packing flamers and stun locked us to good effect. Most of these meta clan mechs depend on high heat- high alpha builds to counter their fragility compared to IS mechs. You have to cook yourself or chain fire to fight them, giving them an edge unless you really know how to play your mech. Kudos to them.

And remember, its only meta until someone out-metas it...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users