Why Do Clans Get 90% Scouting Wins On Every Planet ?

89 replies to this topic

#21 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:43 AM

Strange concept, but IS can get a "win" by taking as many cap points as possible and forcing an early dropship.

If the Clans only come away with 2-3 cap points, thats a lot of extra matches. IS just have to win their own attack by a larger margin.

#22 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:44 AM

Go on guys, face the truth and admit it: Clan mechs are crap, all IS mechs are overquirked monster machines.

We IS players just don't have the skills and the brains to win against them.

Btw, Dear PGI, can us Steiner players pls use a REAL scout lance pls?

Posted Image

#23 maniacos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 777 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:51 AM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 21 April 2016 - 12:28 AM, said:

Oh boy do you overstate things. Ive played both sides and they are just as bad as each other when it comes to pugs. I just saw a kitfox in a scout mission, nuff said.

Why is that even, that KitFox is a bad mech? Why can't PGI balance the mechs so that every mech has it's role, is a valid alternative to another mech. They keep adding machines that may or may not have any use, as if they never test their gamemodes against the builds that are possible with the options provided. Or as if gamemodes are tested once in a metabuild and if the test player wins a match it's released.

#24 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 01:56 AM

View PostCount Zero 74, on 21 April 2016 - 12:05 AM, said:

My point exactly, Clan players are just so much smarter and better than us. Can we have a surrender button pls PGI ?

Call it a draw, let them have Terra and all go home ?

Btw, what I always wanted to know: Is there some kind of test u have to take before u can join the Clans?
Cause your average Joe McClanPug is like a 1 man army but its IS counterpart behaves like a lump of goo.

Don't know how I could stand it here for so long, playing together with all those IS noobs.

It's simple, IS mechs cost less C-Bills, lower barrier to entry =lower skill level players. Not that there aren't veterans out there wrecking face, I saw a thread below yours where a Ghost bear was complaining about the FRR wrecking faces with SRM Griffins and hunchbacks.

I say, if you want to win more scout matches, get ye a four man and go in there to win! Also, pugs need to realize that you have to stick together to beat most clan pugs (they tend to group up looking for a fight)

#25 BSK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:01 AM

At least you have a higher rank in the leaderboard when the Long Tom isn't stealing all your kills, so why complain?

#26 habu86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:04 AM

View PostAresye, on 21 April 2016 - 12:33 AM, said:

We had three 4-man teams for scouting missions in SJR last night.

Aren't there, like, laws against that sort of thing? Something about disproportionate force or cruel and unusual punishment? Posted Image

View PostDee Eight, on 21 April 2016 - 12:52 AM, said:

I have no interest in wasting my time nor any interest in MWO's make believe version of the invasion lore from 26 years ago.

Wasn't the invasion a curbstomp until Wolcott and Twycross?

Anyways, we were discussing the same thing ourselves during drops yesterday. Clans hadn't yet gotten Satellite Sweep 3.5 hours into the NA attack phase on the GB planet that FRR was attacking, but they were about halfway there so it didn't look like the fights were going well in the scouting queue.

In the end, Clans have only a handful of truly viable chassis and large streak launchers are a good default loadout for most situations in this game mode. The answer is simple, bring stuff that can take on SkillCrows, SRM Jenners, and ACHs (i.e. BJ, GRF, CNH, WVR, HBK-SP, maybe some SHDs), focus on working together and keeping track of your position (i.e. don't let yourself get surrounded by streak boats), do your best, and you'll be fine.

Edited by habu86, 21 April 2016 - 02:04 AM.

#27 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:18 AM

View Posthabu86, on 21 April 2016 - 02:04 AM, said:

In the end, Clans have only a handful of truly viable chassis and large streak launchers are a good default loadout for most situations in this game mode. The answer is simple, bring stuff that can take on SkillCrows, SRM Jenners, and ACHs (i.e. BJ, GRF, CNH, WVR, HBK-SP, maybe some SHDs), focus on working together and keeping track of your position (i.e. don't let yourself get surrounded by streak boats), do your best, and you'll be fine.

Simple yeah, bring stuff theat can take on SkillCrows. Never would have thought of that.

Do u have a simple answer to this one too : How can I bring pilots that can take on SkillCrows ?

Edited by Count Zero 74, 21 April 2016 - 02:19 AM.

#28 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:21 AM

View PostCount Zero 74, on 21 April 2016 - 02:18 AM, said:

Simple yeah, bring stuff theat can take on SkillCrows. Never would have thought of that.

Do u have a simple answer to this one too : How can I bring pilots that can take on SkillCrows ?

Drop 2mans in scout queue. Expect to lose a lot but take that time to talk to the 2 bads that dropped with you. Tell them mechs, tell them simple strats to take.

Expect to get ignored most the time but human nature is that after they get beaten down for a while they'll remember that advice and give it a try.

Have not just a TS to point them to but some very simple, one-page, easy to use/easy to read directions on 'Good mechs/bad mechs' 'things to do' 'things not to do' you can point people to.

Then you do that for ~3 months to effect critical change in the population.

#29 habu86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:28 AM

What Mischief said.

Sorry, but there is a learning curve and, even beyond it, everyone gets their face smashed in from time to time, no matter how good they are.

The difference is that if you plan on encountering StreakCrows and bring something that can take them on, you'll be in a much better place to live long enough to learn how to best employ it. If you bring whatever and hope for the best, you're just going to end up a losing a lot of matches without having even learned anything from them.

Edited by habu86, 21 April 2016 - 02:29 AM.

#30 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:33 AM

When i logged on this evening it was about 50% scouting wins on my available attack planets.

Also free lancers with IS mechs can join the clans in faction play now (if there are spots),

While there have been a few games with shockingly bad IS players like ravens that just run up to you and stand infront of you, the same applies to bad clan players. Most of them were lost adder players who were just wandering around confused. I'm not seeing any massive skill discrepancy on either side yet.

#31 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:42 AM

On the scouting matches I helped at your Steiner Planets yesterday (mainly Wotan) 90% of the clan 4's I encountered were coming from one unit (so all 4 were coordinated) while 90% of the time the defending IS scouts were a mixed bag of pretty much every IS faction, tagged and non-tagged.

In other words: IS units didnt bother to scout (coordinated), while Clan premades did. Next time get some of your big units to help out on the IS scout missions instead of letting only the solos handle with them.

Edited by TexAce, 21 April 2016 - 02:44 AM.

#32 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:46 AM

View PostTexAce, on 21 April 2016 - 02:42 AM, said:

On the scouting matches I helped at your Steiner Planets yesterday (mainly Wotan) 90% of the clan 4's I encountered were coming from one unit (so all 4 were coordinated) while 90% of the time the defending IS scouts were a mixed bag of pretty much every IS faction, tagged and non-tagged.

In other words: IS units didnt bother to scout (coordinated), while Clan premades did. Next time get some of your big units to help out on the IS scout missions instead of letting only the solos handle with them.

Strats really need to be to drop a 3man unit, pick up 1 pug to train/educate, secure a good 60-70% lead in intel and then start the invasion. Then even if your pugs are getting rolled you've got the time to grind the world out before losses on the scouting side start putting you in trouble.

#33 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:47 AM

View Posthabu86, on 21 April 2016 - 02:28 AM, said:

Sorry, but there is a learning curve and, even beyond it, everyone gets their face smashed in from time to time, no matter how good they are.

Yeah, and what a steep learning curve even !! Lock on target ( ok, I admit that looking on can be hard for a lot of players ), press moise button, rinse & repeat. Takes years to master that skill set.

Edited by Count Zero 74, 21 April 2016 - 02:47 AM.

#34 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:54 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 21 April 2016 - 12:52 AM, said:

Its a question of automatic hitting firepower... multiple streak sixs which merely need locks, not actually being aimed at the mech when fired...six at a time on a crow...times 4 crows...

Yes, but who actually has enough skill to take on a masterrace streakcrow with 7 streak 6 launcher?
In an inferior scrub IS medium mech? Against 8 streak 6 on every streakcrow?
I mean, come one, if those 9 streak 6 hit you, you're as good as dead anyway and they have freaking 4 of those 'mechs!
Just do the math, that's over 50 Streak 6 launcher on 4 stormcrows each drop.

I know what i am talking about, if seen such a streakcrow.. once...
respect my authority and buy my mix-tape!

#35 Ibrandul Mike

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:22 AM

Ok, now I know the problem and the solution.

First learn to count! It is really important ... let me help you. 1 SRM6 in the right Arm ... remember 1 ... 1 SRM6 in the right torso ... so we have ... yes ... got it? Right ... 2 SSRM6 ... None in the head ... which is quite sad ... still 2 ... none in the Center Torso ... still 2 ... 2 (OMG a bigger number!) in the left torso ... we now have 4 SSRM6! ... and one in the left arm. Now of course we have at least 25 SSRM6 on the Streak Crow! Because 1+1+2+1 is 5 ... I mean 6 .,, 8 ... 25 ...

Is that a lot of firepower? Of course! And ECM is not really saving your life, because every Streak Crow should have BAP ... sorry, Clan Active Probe.

And just because I read it again ... 4 Stormcrows together have 50 Streak 6 Launcher ... because ... do the math! 4 times 5 is 50!!!!!!

We now know where the geniuses are located ... so yes ... the clan breeding program is superior!

BUT ...

We in the IS can do one thing like no clanner! We can run like hell. And yes I saw a few matches, where the IS won by running ... getting data .. .getting out ... one or two distracted the clanners ... win.

Storm Crows are not fast enough. They need too much time to get you, if you see them early enough. That´s if you are in a light. If you are in a medium ... you have a good chance to kill the crow.

So just believe me ... storm crows are killable! Even in a light (ok, that might be mostly luck).

Clanners have much less viable mechs. So they can´t do as much wrong as IS. If I drop against clans and we are the Attackers (Gather Intel), the first thing I say is ... don´t stay together ... outrun them.
Most clanners move in a blob. Why? Because they feel insecure. And to be honest ... if one Cheetah finds 4 enemy mechs at once and tries to fight ... he probably won´t survive till the rest of the team is at his position. So at least the crows stay together.
You can get the Intel needed and to the extraction zone, if you play smart. Often you don´t really have to fight that hard.

As a Defender I wouldn´t want to play against Clans ... 4 Cheetahs running around collecting the points? All with ECM, small, fast? Ouch ... but hey ... you can kill them, if your team is good.

For the initial question:
No, both sides have their brain removed players, both sides have their normal players ... both sides have their good players.
Both sides have mechs, which are good at countering the other sides options.
Yes, Clans have way better SSRM Units (they have better SSRM launcher too!), but SkillCrows are not a sure win.

And for the Steiner Scout lance ... It would be fun to play against them, if they are the Defenders on Polar Highlands :) 4 Cheetahs/Raven/Jenner/whatever hunted by 4 Atlas ... yeah!

#36 gloowa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 645 posts

View Postmaniacos, on 21 April 2016 - 01:51 AM, said:

Why is that even, that KitFox is a bad mech? Why can't PGI balance the mechs so that every mech has it's role, is a valid alternative to another mech.

Because it's not how Battletech was designed. In BT, heavier mechs were better. Period. Even BT creator(s) said that while they aimed for lights to be way better than heavies at the game of hide-and-alphastrike, it didn't work in TT to the extent they wanted. So unless you re-design every light and medium mech from scratch for the purposes of MWO, give them either more weapons with less heat or more armor, there is only so much that can be done.

For lights to be useful, maps would need to be at very-low-minimum the size of polar highlands, and optimal size would be 4 polar highlands next to each other in a square. And the gamemode would need to be objective based. Only then there is a need for scouting. In current MWO maps, you just post at the center of the map and you see everything and can hit everything. So unless you are prepared to play 1h long matches that involve 30 minutes of forces closing in on each other and trying to get terrain advantage, you are going to have to accept the fact that only srm boat lights are worthwile.

#37 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

? The stormcrow only has a max of 5 missile hardpoints. Ive run 4x and 5x streakcrows before...its only good against lights, even mediums can easily out tank you due to all the spread damage you are doing.

A BJ boating lasers can easily take on a streakcrow.

#38 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:23 AM

View PostLOADED, on 21 April 2016 - 02:54 AM, said:

Yes, but who actually has enough skill to take on a masterrace streakcrow with 7 streak 6 launcher?
In an inferior scrub IS medium mech? Against 8 streak 6 on every streakcrow?
I mean, come one, if those 9 streak 6 hit you, you're as good as dead anyway and they have freaking 4 of those 'mechs!
Just do the math, that's over 50 Streak 6 launcher on 4 stormcrows each drop.

I know what i am talking about, if seen such a streakcrow.. once...
respect my authority and buy my mix-tape!

Now there's a man that gets it !

Every Streak is guided by the hand of Kerensky himself !!

Edited by Count Zero 74, 21 April 2016 - 03:23 AM.

#39 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:24 AM

idk. Me as a lonewolf I played on both sides quite a bit and I have never won as the clans. The IS just spammed 40-55 tonners meanwhile most of my team is 30-35 tonners and a few arctic cheetahs, kitfoxes, and jenners can't out brawl a Hunchback, Shadowhawk, Griffon, etc...

#40 McHoshi

• 1,163 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:34 AM

Never run a Streak-Crow because it´s kind of boring... But damn it´s just so much fun to Pulse them all away Posted Image

This comes just fresh from "your average Joe McClanPug" ;)

Edited by McHoshi, 21 April 2016 - 03:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users