Secrets To Being Good.

38 replies to this topic

#1 Remains Intact

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:45 AM

While there are other possibilities they are usually niche builds that only work on a frame or two.

As a general rule, if you want to be successful do the following:

1. Ignore all weapons systems aside from lasers.

2. Equip up to 6 medium lasers and 2 large pulse lasers. Equip applicable range extension modules.

3. Corner/ridge peek from a flank, Alpha your opponent from 650m away, then cool down for a few seconds.

4. Profit.

#2 pwnface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:52 AM

Are you even good though?

Your post reads like a personal entry that should probably stay in your diary tucked underneath your pillow.

#3 Remains Intact

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:06 AM

65+% win rate in my try hard mechs in soloQ, a couple thousand games logged with them.

#4 DemonicDonut

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:41 PM

3 large pulse if IS.

Meta laser vomit is all you are suggesting. . .

#5 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:07 PM

View PostRemains Intact, on 21 April 2016 - 11:06 AM, said:

65+% win rate in my try hard mechs in soloQ, a couple thousand games logged with them.

I've got over 10,000 matches logged and play in competitive MWO (MRBC Div B winner this season).

View PostRemains Intact, on 21 April 2016 - 10:45 AM, said:

While there are other possibilities they are usually niche builds that only work on a frame or two.

As a general rule, if you want to be successful do the following:

1. Ignore all weapons systems aside from lasers.

2. Equip up to 6 medium lasers and 2 large pulse lasers. Equip applicable range extension modules.

3. Corner/ridge peek from a flank, Alpha your opponent from 650m away, then cool down for a few seconds.

4. Profit.

1. Ballistics and SRMs can be great weapons if utilized correctly in the right situation. Lasers are not the only good weapons. There are plenty of situations where running Dakka heavy builds are favorable or SRM brawling is the superior tactic.

2. When running laser vomit it's almost always the best idea to run as many Large Pulse lasers as ghost heat will allow. This means 3xLPL for IS and 2xC-LPL for Clan. Depending on the chassis and the amount of available hardpoints and heatsinks it may be a good idea to run additional medium lasers to supplement your firepower. You should prioritize Large Pulser Lasers over medium lasers whenever possible as they have more reach and do more damage per heat.

3. It's always a good idea to try to trade from a flank or corner where the enemy isn't looking. Reusing the same peeking spot will be costly if your opponent dials in on your position. Alpha striking at 650m is a complete waste of heat as your medium lasers won't be doing anything. IS medium lasers reach out to 270m and Clan C-ERML reach out to 405m. Using your heat wisely by only firing the weapons that are effective at a particular range is going to net you much more success.

4. Practice a lot and get good and you'll profit.

#6 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:01 PM

Dear OP,

I respectfully Disagree.

~Leone.

#7 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:46 AM

View Postpwnface, on 21 April 2016 - 04:07 PM, said:

IS medium lasers reach out to 270m and Clan C-ERML reach out to 405m.

That's not exactly true. 270m and 405m are optimal range where they still deal full damage. IS medium deal damage up to 540m and clan ER mediums up to 688m, where they deal 0 damage.
(not taking modules and quirks into account)

That being said, it does not change your point: shooting medium lasers at 650m, even clan lasers, is 99% of the time a waste of heat.

Edited by epikt, 22 April 2016 - 12:47 AM.

#8 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:04 PM

View Postepikt, on 22 April 2016 - 12:46 AM, said:

That's not exactly true. 270m and 405m are optimal range where they still deal full damage. IS medium deal damage up to 540m and clan ER mediums up to 688m, where they deal 0 damage.
(not taking modules and quirks into account)

That being said, it does not change your point: shooting medium lasers at 650m, even clan lasers, is 99% of the time a waste of heat.

Yep, I wouldn't use ML or C-ERML beyond 400/500m respectively.
Waste of heat that you might need if you are forced into a closer range situation.

#9 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:52 AM

So, Title of this thread fished me in, but all I see above is a reiteration of the discussions of threads that address the so-called meta builds (e.g. for the most part: IS, slap on 3LPLS and a few ML if possible keep heat efficiency reasonable (see BK and Ghopper); Clan do similar with 2LPL instead of three and maybe some SRMs (see Timber); yes exceptions exist). This advice is understood and found in perhaps a thousand or more threads in these forums (i.e. NOT a "secret").

So anyone want to share such game play tips, piloting techniques, map specific tactics, or other aspects of the game that you think are pretty novel or perhaps even "secret"? I'm serious, cuz I for one could use all the help I can get in these areas and like I said, the whole "run meta builds" thing aint exactly a secret.

#10 Dar1ng One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 227 posts
  • LocationArena Contender Royal

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:12 AM

Now now bois,

This troll account has a point. It's true. Unlimited Ammo, + Convergence + 3 X Lg Pulse (Inner Sphere) = good damage and good scores.

However, this does not make one good.

A good Mechwarrior, can fight in any mech decently, if he works with the team and uses timing and positioning correctly.

#11 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:08 PM

I can't laugh because it's ******* true.

#12 Captain Alt F4

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 65 posts
  • LocationDesktop

Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:22 PM

Personally I find Gauss and LPL/ERML vomit to be most disturbing to the enemy.

I also find 5 SRM 6's to be most disturbing.

I also find twin UAC10's + UAC20 + 3 ERML to cause mental meltdowns in my enemies.

You get the point, there isn't just one good build. The 'secret' is to practice, learn, find out what weapon systems/builds you are good with, review your matches, figure out what you could have done better, find out what you did wrong if you died early and horribly.

#13 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:20 PM

Well, you aren't wrong either, and for the record, hill humping is only a way to farm damage. (And, the most optimal las-vomit builds for IS are usually 3xlpl and 4xmlas, its a bit different for clan mechs but then again clans don't have the Black Knight or the Grasshopper which is kinda what MAKES IS laser Vomit.)

Its not like there aren't other builds available, its just they aren't as easy to pick up and they tend to have weaknesses. Laser Vomit's only weakness is flamers, which have way less range than medium lasers.

#14 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:05 PM

Step 1: equip dual gauss

Step 2: aim for cockpit

Step 3: let 'er loose

Step 4: get accused of hacks

Congratulations, you git'd good.

I'm still hung up on step 4, myself.

#15 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:33 PM

I followed your build advice. I guess I'm good now.

#16 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:34 PM

The secret = practice

#17 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:11 AM

I disagree with it all, to be a truly good mechwarrior You have to have a few things that you cant buy

You need to have a firm understanding of chassis builds.. you need to be able to quickly glance at a hostile target and formulate what possible configurations that target is equipped with then be able to make a tactical decision on whether your going to stay and fight or GTFO of there

you need to be able to control your mech in every which way... there should be no thought to where your legs are.. you feel it... *if you still got that arrow pointing to the front of your lower torso... Im sorry scrub the clans would not waste new technology on such a worthless waste as you.... But do not worry.. I will not tell anyone of your incompetence

you need to have a full understanding of weapon systems.. what the can and cant do where they can be mounted safely and where they are dangerous to use

and last... you should be able to adjust to the "NEW META" which seems to come with every patch..

I leave my mechs how they are once they are in the proper config... so when you see my running a glass ship duel guass k2 kat, you can say to your self... "god that guy is ********" or you can say " I remember when that thing was unstoppable"

jack base This is jack 12 Im approaching the reported radar signature, nothing on scoop jack base

Edited by Burnin2nd, 25 April 2016 - 12:15 AM.

#18 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:00 PM

View PostWraith 1, on 24 April 2016 - 10:33 PM, said:

this is gold.

#19 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:04 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 23 April 2016 - 03:52 AM, said:

So anyone want to share such game play tips, piloting techniques, map specific tactics, or other aspects of the game that you think are pretty novel or perhaps even "secret"? I'm serious, cuz I for one could use all the help I can get in these areas and like I said, the whole "run meta builds" thing aint exactly a secret.

Be super aware of your positioning. Know where your team is and where the enemy is or are likely to appear.

Being a good MWO player is:
90% positioning
5% not having potato quality aiming
5% having fast reflexes/hand eye coordination

Also look for opportunities to 2v1 or 3v1. What I mean by this is, try to put yourself is a position where you can shoot the same enemy the guy next to you is shooting at while forcing the enemy to choose between multiple targets.

3 people shooting 1 guy always beats 1 guy shooting 3 people. The better you are at finding and exploiting these opportunities the more success you'll have.

Edit:
Don't use LRMs.

Edited by pwnface, 25 April 2016 - 01:05 PM.

#20 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:40 PM

View PostWraith 1, on 24 April 2016 - 10:33 PM, said:

Well that doesn't seem too bad though I donno how you fit all that onto a....

Oh....it has no armor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users