Mad Dog Or Marauder?

8 replies to this topic

#1 MobMessenjah

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:02 PM

Hey guys, just started playing MWO and currently, I'm playing as a Nova. I chose this mech as my first simply due to nostalgia. I used this mech all the way through MW2, and all the way through MW3 until I was able to get a Supernova and was very disappointed to find it gone in MW4. It's one of my favorite glass cannon mechs, but not really something you want on the front lines. You have to play smarter in this mech and tweak it, to get it where you need it.

So, I'm looking at my next mech. I kind-of want something I can push on the front lines a bit, that will take a bit more damage but doesn't drag it's feet while doing it.

I used to play Daishii (Dire Wolf) in MW4, because that was what everyone seemed to use. I could sport a bunch of guass cannons and added a missile rack or two for good measure. Not sure if I can get that same build in MWO. It was a slow moving power house but was a lot of fun to just demolish enemy mechs with. Guass cannons have changed a bit, so I want to re-think my strategy a bit.

I'm looking at maybe trying a marauder or a mad dog for my next mech. Not really a fan of upright mechs. Not sure why, they just bother me a bit.

Anyway, looking for some suggestions on some good builds for these?

#2 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:09 PM

If you want to "push the front line" DO NOT get mad dogs. They have side torso that are 1/2 enemy fire magnet and 1/2 warm butter.

Marauders can be tanky as crap and offer a variety of built options despite not being omni.

Edited by MovinTarget, 24 April 2016 - 01:10 PM.

#3 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 02:08 PM

Since you are new and you seem to be a clan wolf. Are you going to do FW(faction warfare) or just stick quickplay? are you loyalist or merc atm? How you planning to get extra mech bays? paying MC or archiefment or mix of both?

If it playing FW, loyalist, archiefment. You might wanna look only clan only mech since you won't be able to drop IS mech in FW clan side.

I would recomend the ebonjaguar over the maddog since it has much more potential in variation builds and seems to be same height?

#4 Auton

• PipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:17 PM

Ebon Jaguars and Timber Wolves are good Heavy Clan Mechs. For Medium Clan mechs I would say Stormcrows.

Of the 2 choices you have in your topic I would say go with the Marauder. It can be tanky and deal a lot of damage (MAD-5D with 3 Large Pulse Lasers and 2 SRM4 does some great heavy damage. Also does not require an XL engine so you can take a lot of damage). I would also look at the MAD-5M and Bounty Hunter II to get Jump Jets so you can jump over terrain.

Mad Dogs are great if you are running lots of LRMs or SRMs.

#5 A Villain Behind Glasses

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 05:25 PM

I also use the Nova quite frequently, but I love running Mad Dogs and Marauders. MovinTarget is right, though; Mad Dogs fall apart under fire very quickly. Mad Dogs, such as the short range build that I often use, are glass cannons, very much like the Nova.

The Marauder, on the other hand, can be very tanky. My current favourite is a MAD-5M with an AC/20 and five medium lasers, with jump jets. I end up using the jump jets to manoeuvre into a good position, and even to fall back if necessary, so it actually works in a similar way to how the Nova should be played, in some respects.

I can't really give any useful advice on the Dire Wolf, as I have yet to buy one... but I can emphatically state that the gauss rifle is still really fun in MWO, and definitely worth mastering, at least in my opinion. It's a very satisfying weapon to use well.

#6 Auton

• PipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 05:36 PM

Oh... If you want to run lots of Auto Cannon fun you can do amazing things with the Dire Wolves. 5 Ultra AC/5 is fun but having 4 Ultra AC/10s (2 RT, 2 LT) is just deadly. You can open up assault mechs like a can opener. Also you can run multiple Gauss with the mech too very easily. It is one of my favorite Assault Mechs in MWO. They are just SLOW

#7 Mordin Ashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:38 PM

All UACs are terrible, too many shells simply warp away or disappear. Hitreg is full of bugs lately so avoid them until it somehow gets better.

#8 Tronword Furey

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 61 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:46 AM

The Mad Dog is an outstanding platform for LRM's or SRM's, you can also piecemeal a U/AC build for it, the omnipoints offer you an outstanding array of versatility. With discipline, ultra auto cannons are your best friend. Do not listen to naysayers who cannot practice good trigger pull when an IS barbarian is bearing down on them.

Goodluck on your decision.

-Oathmaster Tronword Furey

#9 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:26 AM

Mad dogs are super squishy and dont have many build choices since they simply dont have enough tonnage. But they are one of the few clan mechs with mobility quirks which means they don't handle like pregnant cows for their weight class. They are also very very large for a 60 tonner...they are like the height of a warhawk for some reason.

Marauders are super tanky because they have a very small CT relative to the side torsos and is a much better mech overall.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users