#21 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:59 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 27 April 2016 - 02:19 AM, said:

Yet the GPU can not be ingored - if it can run Crysis 3 barely at 25 FPS with a very good CPU how should it be able to run MWO with a mediocre CPU ?

That CPU should be able to deliver twice the FPS!

If your a fan of AMD you may think that, in reality it's a little different, those APU's are described as mediocre at best for light gaming. They certainly aren't something to build a gaming machine around.

Edited by Oderint dum Metuant, 27 April 2016 - 04:10 AM.

#22 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:07 AM

When MWO was in Beta i played it with a Phenom x4 9850 @2,5 GHz in a 1920+1200 Resolution having all High Settings and getting 30 to 60 FPS out of it - GPU was the Radeon HD 6950.

By any means is an A10 able to do the same if not better!

Edited by Thorqemada, 27 April 2016 - 07:07 AM.

#23 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:43 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 27 April 2016 - 07:07 AM, said:

When MWO was in Beta i played it with a Phenom x4 9850 @2,5 GHz in a 1920+1200 Resolution having all High Settings and getting 30 to 60 FPS out of it - GPU was the Radeon HD 6950.

Log Files or It Didn't Happen®

#24 Svarn Lornon

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:32 PM

I know the AMDs are sadly not that great anymore compared to the Intel CPUs but seriously: this CPU together with the GTX 750 should be able to provide better FPS then 17-25fps.
To me it sounds more like either the integrated GPU is running or the settings are just way to high.... I think they weren't mentioned yet, or did I miss them?

#25 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:21 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 27 April 2016 - 02:19 AM, said:

Yet the GPU can not be ingored - if it can run Crysis 3 barely at 25 FPS with a very good CPU how should it be able to run MWO with a mediocre CPU ?

That CPU should be able to deliver twice the FPS!

On low settings this game only cares about the cpu.

I used to play with a gtx 470, which is about as fast as the 750, and it had no problems keeping fps high, but my cpu (at the time a 4 GHz i5-750) still did.

I've seen somewhere turning on HPET in bios improves performance, probably won't do much, but worth a shot dr lao.

#26 BloodScorpion

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:41 AM

I'm not 100% sure but you have an option in your bios >>>Uncheck integrated gpu and check if PCI-e Lane is active.This should go automatic but you never know. I think that r7 gpu should do better then your gti 750. Try both Posted Image

#27 Svarn Lornon

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:11 AM

Actually the GTX750 is vastly superior to the integrated Radeon 7660D. Compared to the Intel GPU the AMD solution is nice and actually allows you to play some games without an extra card but as soon as you spend 100-150$ on an extra card it iwll be better.

View PostBloodScorpion, on 28 April 2016 - 12:41 AM, said:

I'm not 100% sure but you have an option in your bios >>>Uncheck integrated gpu and check if PCI-e Lane is active.This should go automatic but you never know. I think that r7 gpu should do better then your gti 750. Try both Posted Image

#28 Odinson

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:58 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 27 April 2016 - 07:07 AM, said:

By any means is an A10 able to do the same if not better!

I sincerely doubt this, since my old PC had the exact same processor and GPU and I was lucky to squeeze 25 fps max with drops to the 10-17 range.

I got my hands on a 3.1 ghz core i5, same amount of RAM as the old PC and used my old GPU, and now I'm running 45-60 fps consistently.

I know at first glance it seems like a 3.8 ghz processor should perform better than a 3.1, however that AMD APU doesn't appear to have an integrated L3 cache, whereas my core i5 has 6MB of L3. That alone could make a whole world of difference. Clock cycles don't tell the whole story, and neither does the number of processor cores. In the world of multi-core processors there is WAY more determining performance than just clock speed.

All of that being said:

Dr. Lao, my recommendation would be that you make sure you have at least 8 gigs of RAM and a modern GPU, and that your system is properly using the GPU and not the integrated APU graphics.

If you've done that and you still are having performance issues, you will be unable to avoid needing a different processor and motherboard.

In the event you end up replacing the CPU and motherboard, DO NOT GET AN APU!!!! Get either the AMD Vishera series or an Intel Core. You do NOT need a core i7, an i5 will do the job and as my current hardware setup proves you can even run an old Sandy Bridge i5 and it will run just fine.

No matter what route you choose, you're going to have to upgrade that GPU eventually anyway, because you're going to want hardware that can take advantage of the optimization and low-level APIs in DirectX 12. I know I need to upgrade mine, I just don't have an extra $300 laying around right now and I'm not going to waste money on budget GPUs that will only offer a modest performance increase... but I'm going to have to suck it up and do it at some point, because I'm going to need the horsepower for VR.

By the way, tried out Elite: Dangerous on a rudimentary VR setup a couple weeks ago and it blew my mind. If MWO could implement VR in a similar fashion it would be AMAZING. It was literally the coolest gaming experience I have ever had; it's the kind of thing I have day dreamed about since I was a little kid... and it wasn't even on a high-res display like the Rift.

Upgrade your GPU, even if you also have to upgrade your processor. You'll be glad you did.

Edited by Odinson, 28 April 2016 - 07:27 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users