8 replies to this topic

#1 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:11 PM

This video provides a look at the Scouting Game Mode for Faction Play in MechWarrior Online. Including is a brief explain of the mode, direction on how to access the mode in the user interface, and game play examples for both defending and attacking.

#2 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 11:08 AM

Been loving the new mode.

My only complaint with it is that, even when your are on the side whose objective is to get the intel and get out, 90% of any rewards are still based only on combat. I know they already added some C-Bill and XP reward for capping intel points instead of no reward like it was at first, but it is very little and has NO LP/RP rewards at all. I've had several successful scouting drops where we went in with Locusts/Spiders/etc., grabbed some intel and got out avoiding much combat and literally got 0 Reputation Points for the mission even after collecting 10-11 intel on just my mech and making it out. We won the mission objective, but because we avoided combat, the rewards stunk big time.

Basically, it has the same problem as Conquest and Assault in Quick Play. You get all your rewards off of combat and not for playing the mission objectives. This leads to even the side with no combat objectives rushing into a 4v4 skirmish half the time instead of actually caring about the missions/game mode because that is where the rewards are.

#3 Desert Scout

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:06 AM

Thanks for the video, great information. It was just what I needed to give it a try.

#4 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:03 AM

First off, AWESOME play! We are 0-14 in scouting missions.

It SEEMS like they have a lot of defenders. I'm glad to see there is a chance to see the other team. I've yet to see a mark on the map for the dropship, all I see is green smoke. They seem to know where we are and they hunt us down.

To give you an idea. I noticed that you had what I assume is a percent chance of winning of 41%. I'm assuming that is what those numbers mean. Attacker 41% / Defender 59%. Ahhh, that is the percent of scouting info...well, we still tend to have little.

Yesterday I went through 14 scouting missions where our high was 31% and our low was 12%. THAT was depressing.

Now I know that the data points spawn at certain places but I'm still learning the maps and really I have no idea where they are.

I'm making a mistake I think by playing the one Mech I own which has a top speed of about 100 and I have seen a number of times that I simply need more speed. (yours, for instance, is 55% faster than mine I'm using)

Feel up to answering some other scouting questions? I do not want to hi-jack your thread.

#5 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:22 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 30 April 2016 - 10:03 AM, said:

First off, AWESOME play! We are 0-14 in scouting missions.

It SEEMS like they have a lot of defenders. I'm glad to see there is a chance to see the other team. I've yet to see a mark on the map for the dropship, all I see is green smoke. They seem to know where we are and they hunt us down.

To give you an idea. I noticed that you had what I assume is a percent chance of winning of 41%. I'm assuming that is what those numbers mean. Attacker 41% / Defender 59%. Ahhh, that is the percent of scouting info...well, we still tend to have little.

Yesterday I went through 14 scouting missions where our high was 31% and our low was 12%. THAT was depressing.

Now I know that the data points spawn at certain places but I'm still learning the maps and really I have no idea where they are.

I'm making a mistake I think by playing the one Mech I own which has a top speed of about 100 and I have seen a number of times that I simply need more speed. (yours, for instance, is 55% faster than mine I'm using)

Feel up to answering some other scouting questions? I do not want to hi-jack your thread.

It's here for questions. I think faster mechs are better for this mode, but that's a play style issue. It's equally valid to bring heavier machines to destroy the other team faster. Finally there are 40 data spawn points per map with 20 randomly populated.

#6 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:45 AM

I can't shoot well so I thought I'd be a "heavy" scout. I thought my spotting helped others on my team find, target and kill enemy Mechs.

I'm a bit confused about the different items and what they do

What about ECM. Does it find other Mechs or keep you from being found? I bought a Stormcrow and realized last night that i cannot get an OMNIPOD that has an ECM hardpoint which kind of pisses me off but you live and learn.

I also bought a Clan Narc system and it has been disappointing. No one cared and I was only hitting 10% of my shots. I wonder if the best way to use a narc (since they are so short ranged) is using a light, really fast mech who can run in, strike and run away. I was being killed TRYING to shoot a Narc. I'm sure I also need to be able to talk to a missile truck about it. One day when I get better and can act more like a teammate I still hope to use it.

I also have the active probe which I think I understand.

#7 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 11:07 AM

ECM prevents you from being detected by enemy sensors. If you are within 90 meters of an enemy it will also jam their sensors preventing a target lock for lrms and ssrms. If you switch to counter mode it will cancel one enemy ECM, but you'll lose the previously mentioned benefits. Based on your post there is something that I want to make very clear. ECM DOES NOT hide your mech. You just don't have the red triangle anymore. You are still plainly visible. Some players have special piece of equipment called the human eyeball mark 1. If they see a mech without a red triangle with the eyeball mark 1 it sends a message to the human brain mark 1. At that point the player is aware the mech without any IFF is a valid target. I've blasted a lot of mechs with ECM with direct fire weapons only to be accused of hacking because I can see them. It not because of hacking, it's because I always bring my eyeballs.

The crow is a good mech. Keep tuning your loadout. IMO it's one of the best Clan mediums.

I would not use a NARC system unless I was running in a team. All it does is provide targeting lock and tracking bonus for LRMS. It is also blocked by ECM. It's very powerful if you have good LRM support, but if your dropping solo you may not have that. So can be good, just be aware that if your dropping solo the team make up may render it useless.

Active probe breaks one ECM and will find shutdown mechs that are close.

Finally, seems like you may have other questions. Check out my youtube channel. I have a ton of tutorials.

Edited by Spike Brave, 30 April 2016 - 11:08 AM.

#8 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:24 PM

I keep hoping I'll find somewhere that I can read all i need to know, lol. I still have several of the books in this series(and I'm 55 years old) so when I found this I was excited. Funny enough, I happened across a YouTube video of Mech Online and I was..what? I was recovering from eye surgery and was just wasting time since I could not stress my body (can't wait to get new glasses). So please give me a link if you can.

One thing I still hate about Madden NFL is that they do not state anything, everything is a guess. At least here they give reams of stats and facts. Which honestly is part of the game which is great. I've changed my loadout 243 times Posted Image .

OK "[ECM prevents you from being detected by enemy sensors. If you are within 90 meters of an enemy it will also jam their sensors preventing a target lock for lrms and ssrms." So staying within 90 m is silly but I like the factor. And now I know why I saw Mechs with no signal on them. And also now I understand they often sneak up. And now I'm 100% sure that i should kill them

I like what the active probe does, it is soild.

OK, so it seems like my scouting does not really do that much unless I'm in radio contact. I really thought I was finding enemy Mechs for my team and I was just wasting time.

So the big question for you (and others). What is the job of a light/scout Mech? Should I be hunting down and killing the enemies Scout mechs? If I am not helping my teammates see and find Mech better then what is my role?

And I do like the Crow, it's big fault is that it has no ECM hardpoint on any Omnipod which sucks. I really wanted the Active Probe and ECM on the same Mech. And it took all my cash for a long time.

[P.S. How do you get the monocle?

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 30 April 2016 - 02:26 PM.

#9 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:36 PM

Finding enemy mechs is good. Even if you can't relay targeting info, use chat to tell your team where they are. Light mechs should support the team. Spotting is always good. Stay close enough so you can help the assaults if they get a light on them. If it's conquest and a big map, cap.

Any mech can equip the active probe so just find one with ECM for that combo.

Not sure what you mean by the monocle. If you have seen it in someone's mech, it's a cockpit item you can buy for MC in the mechlab.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users