How Do You Like Windows 10?

22 replies to this topic

#1 John Stryker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:41 PM

I keep getting win10 upgrade requests on occasion. I am considering it, but would like the opinion from fellow gamers if its a good idea to do so. Any help appreciated.

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:33 PM

View PostJohn Stryker, on 26 April 2016 - 03:41 PM, said:

I keep getting win10 upgrade requests on occasion. I am considering it, but would like the opinion from fellow gamers if its a good idea to do so. Any help appreciated.

It works fine. If you're on 7, it's more of a change; if you're on 8 or 8.1, then there's absolutely no reason not to upgrade.

Ultimately, you're going to have to upgrade sooner or later no matter what, you may as well do it while it's free.

But as far as MWO goes, it doesn't impact performance at all.

#3 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:01 PM

I'm using it. I think it's a good upgrade. It solved several hardware integration issues I was having. I would strongly recommend the upgrade while it's free. MS has stated this will be the last OS release they will be doing under a single purchase licensing agreement. They are planning to move to the model used by Apple for OS X. Take that for what's worth, they may change their minds in the future. If they do stay with that, I'd upgrade now to save hassle when the upgrade pass in less clear and your in danger of having an unsupported OS.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 26 April 2016 - 11:59 PM

As an IT technician, most of my experience with Windows 10 is people upgrade then find something important stops working, so I have to roll back or instruct them how to roll the installation back to Windows 7/8, the problem is that Windows 10 comparable device drivers for a lot of older equipment do not exist, so upgraded PCs are sometimes missing something like the sound driver, network driver or graphics driver which in many cases no compatible driver seems to exist, if MS had put something along the lines of a compatibility check to ensure you had Win 10 compatible drivers before the install my major problem with it would not have existed.

I had to roll back the installation on my PC because there was no audio driver available.

if it is a new PC you will be fine, if not check the manufacturers website(s) to make sure everything is compatible or upgrade but make sure you have instructions on how to roll back available.

otherwise Windows 10 is OK, but if you use the start menu a lot the new style will take some getting used to.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 27 April 2016 - 11:00 AM.

#5 Ghos7bearD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGermany, Hamburg

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:01 AM

W10 is a no go, i don't want a MS Settop Box for my PC. W7 for MWO and Linux fot the rest.

#6 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:06 AM

I've found no problem switching between Win7 at work and Win10 at home. Works the same way.

Even on Win8 I've never had a problem adapting, I just treated the "Start menu" in Win 8 as a full screen menu instead of a small box in the corner, so I don't know what the fuss was all about. So it might be just me.

#7 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:28 AM

Overall I like it better than Windows 8.1 (at least it does not seem to have a tablet OS on your 24" sized desktop PC like windows 8.0).
There are some things that I do not like, first of all the use of your connection when the OS wants (e.g. you cannot turn off / delay windows updates - if you do not have a fast internet connection it can be a problem)

#8 DaRkInLiGhT

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 75 posts
  • LocationTacoma/Seattle WA

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:58 AM

10 has been running solid as a rock for me after figuring out drivers, I would consider it a safe bet to use. I've yet to find anything that 7 couldn't do personally.

#9 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:25 AM

Overall, I like it.
Windows 10 + (free) Classic Shell works for me. That creates a desktop similar enough to the Windows 7 where I can still easily get around while at the same time get used to the newness.

It is Windows, and not entirely without problems.

My first learn-the-hard-way experience was due to the new way Windows handles activation. About a week after I upgraded to Windows 10, my new motherboard came in. Swapping the board went without issue. Surprisingly, Windows 10 did not screw up the (Linux - Grub) master boot record nor did it blue screen on me when the underlying disk controller changed (that's a first). However, the next day I started getting notices that my machine was no longer activated!?!?!? WTF? Yeah, Microsoft creates a hardware signature for your machine. Change too much of the hardware and the signature is no longer valid. You no longer have a registered operating system. Since the only product key I had was Windows 8 (not 10), I had to roll back to Windows 8, and then start the upgrade to 10 all over again. What a time waster.

On the other hand, since it activates via hardware signature, that means you can rebuild the os as many times as you want and, as long as you don't change the hardware, you won't ever need to enter a product key. This came in handy after I ran into another Windows 10 issue....

Second issue I ran into was my mother in-law's laptop. All seemed well after the initial upgrade from 7 -> 10. Some time had passed when one of the more significant updates, which was a newer build of Windows 10, would fail every time. Naturally, I Googled the error code, but was not able to get the update to apply. Trying to upgrade the build from Windows media flash drive failed the same way too. Wow, really? Ultimately, I got tired of trying to troubleshoot the issue, formatted the drive, and reinstalled Windows 10.

Edited by knnniggett, 27 April 2016 - 04:27 AM.

#10 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:02 AM

Did the upgrade as a test on one of my machines a couple months ago. No issues so far. Honestly I see no reason to upgrade my Win7 PCs to Win10, but any of the Win8/8.1 boxes in the house will probably get the upgrade.

I have not gone to Win10 on either of the machines in the house that get used for MWO.

MS has said that machines running Skylake processors that do not upgrade to Win10 will only get critical updates after later this year instead of all available Windows updates. They say it is for possible stability issues. Basically they just want to get all the Win7/8/8.1 boxes all to Win10 so they have less versions to worry about patching down the road.

Edited by LadyDanams, 27 April 2016 - 09:02 AM.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:12 AM

Better placed under the Hardware thread as it's computer related.

That said: It mixes the only good things about Windows 8 with a Windows 7-like interface.
Turn off all the special graphic effects, set to Windows Classic theme... it'll feel like windows 98 with all the best features of Windows 7 and 8 put together.
Truth be told with every new iteration of windows (except 8), I put it on a classic theme and turned off all the worthless effects for the best performance out of my computers.

That said... Windows 8 was the worst thing I have ever experienced. What kind of a "Windows" can only handle one window on screen, had to full screen every application, and didn't have an actual start menu...and couldn't run most built-in programs without running advertisements?!

So if you have Windows 8, JUMP TO 10 NOW! Never look back and for the love of god get off that OS!

Windows 8 is like using a Locust with no armor, armed with a single TAG, and an XL 60 engine, with no quirks or skill tree. 32 kph, slowly waiting to die....when the other team finally gets done laughing. They'll get around to it...eventually...maybe.

Edited by Koniving, 27 April 2016 - 09:13 AM.

#12 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 27 April 2016 - 09:22 AM

I'm going to leave the win8 stuff aside, because it's just not important anymore. Much like complaining about Vista now (and like Vista, most of its issues where overstated or fixed pretty quick, but the damage was done).

But 10? I mean, you could go classic shell if you fear change, but the new start menu works just fine. if you even bother to use it, I never understood why people even used the start menu in win7; the whole concept was terribly designed and executed from Win95 on.

It LOOKS different, but functions similarly.

The "set top box" comments are moronic. Win10 functions exactly like Win 8 or 7 when all is said and done. You've always been able to use windows exactly like you did before. Even in win8, you didn't have to use the silly "Metro" interface or everything full screened, in fact, there was little reason to use any of that stuff at all.

It's always good to wait ~6 mo the to move to a new OS, though. Driver issues predominantly as Rogue Jedi said above. That's not a win10 failing so much as some manufacturers being slow at updating their drivers, and pretty much always happens with EVERY OS update.

#13 WildVector

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:18 AM

Before you make a choise, watch this and PAY ATTENTION to what is said about SOME WINDOWS descriptions.

Do keep in mind that IF you optimize a Win10 on newer rigs it MAY be more effective IF EVERY single component is properly compatible and the drivers are there BUT it isn't so easy to achieve ESPECIALLY since it isn't easy to keep Win10 from runing stuff in the background. AND EVERY UPDATE will try to alter the programs permissions Posted Image

So you either try the hassle to try and optimize a so so product, or you stick to a tested and proven system.. your call. Posted Image

Edited by WildVector, 27 April 2016 - 06:03 PM.

#14 Zirakss

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationGermany, Kiel

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:11 AM

I have it on my laptop, which can transform into a tablet. It scales better with high DPI displays then windows 8. So I would say it's a good OS for anything that can go tablet mode.

As an OS for a gaming PC I use in the moment windows 7 and see no reason to upgrade.

When you want windows 10, DON'T simply upgrade and leave it there:
  • make a backup
  • upgrade
  • get your licence key out of the registry
  • get an install image
  • install fresh from that image with your key
  • make a backup of your fresh and clean
  • put your favorite set of programs for your alldays work on it
  • make a backup with your important programs installed
As some already told, older hardware and peripherie can be a problem. Don't be astounded if your scanner, soundcard or whatever does not work any more. It's nothing new and happend with most windows versions. Just remember which hardware manufacturer supports their old stuff and which don't.

#15 vocifer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 284 posts
  • LocationMordor borderlands

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:01 AM

An old IT wisdom says:

If it works, do not touch!

#16 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:31 AM

Ok, i have a Q about win 10 for ya.. I read that they are going to stop updates on win 7, i think in 2020, so basically that is just a few years away right? But I really like my win 7, and just don't feel like updating it now. I will most likely wait another year or so and do a graphics card upgrade, and by that time it might be nice for a fresh install.

My big Q is, Can i upgrade my licence to win 10 while it is for free, BUT keep my win 7 install for the time being, and upgrade to 10 down the road on a fresh install? Also, do you know how to DL a a fresh copy on the win 10 install, so i could put it on a flash drive, or burn it to a DVR, so i could just start with a fresh win 10 install, not a win 7, then over write to win 10..

am i making since? :)

#17 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:51 AM

Never change a running system.
If you buy a new pc well...maybe.
But atm win 10 is still something with enough privacy and security issues regarding password security and other stuff I would never consider replacing my win 7 with that stuff.
BTW upgrading from a running already existing win installation is always a bad idea because you are carrying over to much trash.
If you want win 10 make a clean install at least.

Edit:
I would consider win 10 when they start to enforce the buisines version. Thats the moment you can start to expect it to be remotely matured for use. Before that point youre just abused as beta tester anyway.

Edited by The Basilisk, 28 April 2016 - 08:55 AM.

#18 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:53 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 28 April 2016 - 08:31 AM, said:

Ok, i have a Q about win 10 for ya.. I read that they are going to stop updates on win 7, i think in 2020, so basically that is just a few years away right? But I really like my win 7, and just don't feel like updating it now. I will most likely wait another year or so and do a graphics card upgrade, and by that time it might be nice for a fresh install.

My big Q is, Can i upgrade my licence to win 10 while it is for free, BUT keep my win 7 install for the time being, and upgrade to 10 down the road on a fresh install? Also, do you know how to DL a a fresh copy on the win 10 install, so i could put it on a flash drive, or burn it to a DVR, so i could just start with a fresh win 10 install, not a win 7, then over write to win 10..

am i making since? Posted Image

Once you tell it to do the upgrade it is going to download and upgrade itself. You'll want to wait until you are ready to do it. It wont be free after July 29. So your time is limited anyway.

You can get the media creation tool here:
https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

#19 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:16 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 28 April 2016 - 08:51 AM, said:

Never change a running system.
If you buy a new pc well...maybe.
That's kind of silly. If you back up important stuff, then there's no risk. Worst case scenario (and always possible with ANY OS update) you have to wipe and do a clean install.

To never change a running system though, if you're not on a closed network with production software, you're eventually going to be sacrificing security and performance as they stop updating the old OS. Sooner or later, you basically have to.

You just do it knowing that while most systems upgrade from 7 or 8.1 in place just fine, there's always a chance that you'll have to wipe and do a clean install, and take the relevant precautions if they're necessary.

Unless you have REALLY old or very obscure hardware, drivers are no longer an issue. There's been lltsnof time for things to get updated.

#20 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:44 AM

I am scared to upgrade

Most of my PC games that I loved went by the way side because of so called upgrades

Which do nothing for me but make me miserable

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users