Player Population And Retention. Here Are Some Ideas.

Achievements Gameplay Social

149 replies to this topic

#21 Endimra

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:08 AM

View PostRampage, on 27 April 2016 - 09:31 AM, said:

I sort of agree with this but the skill tree does add another layer to the customization and an additional RPG element to the game that I would hate to see go away. The game is already pretty one dimensional ie. Skirmish Skirmish and more Skirmish. The Mechlab and skill trees provide interesting diversions. They need to stay but I do think that they need some attention.

It doesn't really add any customization though, you just take all of them every time. Customization would be if you could re-spec, and had to choose what you wanted. Ideally with some drawbacks so while you could use skills to suit a mech more to your playstyle, it would have some penalties. Like if speed tweak reduced your turn rate, or fast fire came with some kind of heat penalty.

Something like that would be perfectly fine, even if certain skills turned out to be overpowered. But right now, the skill tree is nothing more than a barrier to entry, and this game has enough of those without it.

#22 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:11 AM

View PostSky Hawk, on 27 April 2016 - 10:01 AM, said:

OK.. suggestions... as new player (in a really low Tier).. I had rebuild my Mechs after almost every match.. mostly enjoyed it.. but it cost sooo much CB's... damn... And there were some Mechs, which I can't play.. like Viktors (Ye.... there are still in my Mechlabs far corner.. those are really-really not my style..).. And.. I hadn't been in any Forum in the first half year of my gameplay... simply, because, I didn' know (and care) about it.. So... I would have suggest:

1. About.. [3-5] "I want Sell my Mech BACK at 100%" Free Token... for new players.. (So.. they can sell [3-5] their "really-not-fitting" Mechs on full price back, and even can keep the equipment..)

2. A second version of the MWO-Academy or Training Ground, with a hugh scroll list of "Community Recommended Builds" (with descriptions), with least 4-6 WORKING builds for EVERY Mech variants (examples for every major playstyle, from brawler to supports, even could be there some near troll variants too.. ).. The players could just choose a suggested a build and could run with it some free round, without the need to buy every stuff.. (So, a largely extended version of the Trial Mechs, but just for the Training Grounds/MWA..)

3. IN THE MECHSHOP there could be another pop-up window text, like:

"For more info to this Mech, please look at 'here: Web-adress of the MWO-FORUM-build help page'. Do you want to see it now? [Y/N]" (Or least something similar...)

I cant stand the whole trial mech idea even a little bit. BUT the idea of a test drive on testing grounds in a stock mech isn't bad at all.

The idea of a dedicated mech store with the whole point of selling mechs is not a new one. Desciptions maybe, pointers how to pilot the given mech and back story?

This maybe the single mistake this game made to a degree. Making it about having mass amounts of mechs rather than the focus on single mechs. With the talk of skill tree redone and a few other things, that situation may improve.

View PostRyokens leap, on 27 April 2016 - 10:06 AM, said:

A lot of players come and go because they are part of the button mashing console hoard and MWO is not compatible with that demographic.

Sorry no. That's a cop out for failed games. Players like a rich atmosphere, amazing battles and in depth game play and all the good stuff. If games cant provide that then that's the problem. Hype works for some games but that only travels for so long.

Edited by Johnny Z, 27 April 2016 - 10:16 AM.

#23 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:27 AM

Johnny I have tons of video game addict friends I've tried to get into MWO. They all say the same thing- I just want to relax and play to have fun, not study builds and tactics and work hard for a win. I like all these thing and that's why I like MWO, it's got more to it than a console game.

#24 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:09 AM

View PostFreebrth, on 27 April 2016 - 08:37 AM, said:

We NEED better chat modules in the game. Better integration with the interface. I'd make it "room based" chat so that units or even small groups of friends can have a "club house" that can be visited by others wandering through, or locked for privacy. Better in game "profiles", notes in my friends list (so I remember who's who - who's this guy again?).
- I'm a huge advocate for a "place to hang out", make the game community easier to access.

http://mwomercs.com/...23#entry5012123

Soooo... Jump ships and walk in station?

#25 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:17 AM

View PostRyokens leap, on 27 April 2016 - 10:27 AM, said:

Johnny I have tons of video game addict friends I've tried to get into MWO. They all say the same thing- I just want to relax and play to have fun, not study builds and tactics and work hard for a win. I like all these thing and that's why I like MWO, it's got more to it than a console game.

If your suggesting video games are addictive then you guys are just about as desperate as I thought. Working class thinned out a bit to much maybe? Video games are a habit yes but everyone has habits. Everyone. Books, movies, eating, coffee, tea etc.... Yes I know you guys go after peoples habits.

The rest of your reply is just as false.

Edited by Johnny Z, 27 April 2016 - 11:27 AM.

#26 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:27 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 27 April 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

If your suggesting video games are addictive then you guys are just about as desperate as I thought. A habit yes but everyone has habits. Everyone. Yes I know you guys go after peoples habits.

Wow, I guess u are operating on a different level then I am. Have fun with that.

#27 QuePan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 109 posts
  • Locationcapital district NY

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:33 AM

im a apart of a Gaming community that plays all sorts of MMOs , F2P games and some subscription games . ive tried to get them to adopt MWO to fit with the crowd that likes to play games like WoT . WoW ,war thunder and the like . but few of them looked at MWO and one of the issues is mech bays and trying to find a mech meta they like , the other is the TTK inconsistency from match to match . im a battletech fan and MWO is fun for me . for them entry seems to be very intimidating .
if you look at it , what you need to do and whats given dont mesh well (you given x amount a bays , but need x amount of mechs chassis to master, you have 4 different weight classes , and 2 separate tech factions to consider )
im a fairly new player to the game , but ive been following the game for a long while .

#28 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:35 AM

View PostRyokens leap, on 27 April 2016 - 11:27 AM, said:

Wow, I guess u are operating on a different level then I am. Have fun with that.

I have little patience for that level of what ever it was you were trying at and I have more to say on the matter to. :)

#29 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:43 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 27 April 2016 - 11:35 AM, said:

I have little patience for that level of what ever it was you were trying at and I have more to say on the matter to. :)

By all means enlighten us.

#30 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:46 AM

View PostRyokens leap, on 27 April 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

By all means enlighten us.

I know why you started trolling me on this page in this topic. Get more obvious?

I am getting a small laugh from this. I will check back later though. Maybe try harder.

#31 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:53 AM

View PostQuePan, on 27 April 2016 - 11:33 AM, said:

im a apart of a Gaming community that plays all sorts of MMOs , F2P games and some subscription games . ive tried to get them to adopt MWO to fit with the crowd that likes to play games like WoT . WoW ,war thunder and the like . but few of them looked at MWO and one of the issues is mech bays and trying to find a mech meta they like , the other is the TTK inconsistency from match to match . im a battletech fan and MWO is fun for me . for them entry seems to be very intimidating .
if you look at it , what you need to do and whats given dont mesh well (you given x amount a bays , but need x amount of mechs chassis to master, you have 4 different weight classes , and 2 separate tech factions to consider )
im a fairly new player to the game , but ive been following the game for a long while .

The MechLab is a double-edged sword. On one hand, I love being able to build and experiment with load-outs to make them fit my play style completely. On the other hand, balancing the game would be much simpler if all Mechs had to run stock load-outs for each of their variants. That, by itself would go a long way towards solving the Alpha meta problem, boating problems and a lot of other balance issues.

MWLL, for example, was better balanced without a MechLab. The game worked well because the combined arms were balanced against one another as they were produced and adjusted as needed. With MWO the balance target keeps moving as players find different builds that dominate.

I would hate to see it go but I do understand the reasoning of those who call for stock configurations only.

#32 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:00 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 27 April 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

If your suggesting video games are addictive then you guys are just about as desperate as I thought. Working class thinned out a bit to much maybe? Video games are a habit yes but everyone has habits. Everyone. Books, movies, eating, coffee, tea etc.... Yes I know you guys go after peoples habits.

WAT?!?!?
Sorry but your reply makes no sense.
Talk about Left Field!!!
Your are not even in the same City!

Did someone forget to take their Meds?

Edited by Render, 27 April 2016 - 12:10 PM.

#33 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:00 PM

View PostZakerystrife, on 27 April 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

I've been playing this game since the beginning. I've been around since closed beta. I'm not the best pilot, or claim to be that good. I am a Barely Adequate Gamer after all! But now that Community Warfare Phase 3 has come and is now in the tweaking / balancing phase, I think we seriously need to address the player population.

The new players are coming and going at an alarming rate, and the steam player numbers are less than stellar, and constantly dropping, often below 2000 players, as I am typing this its under 1000. Half the problem here is KEEPING your players in the game. My friends and I have discussed a few issues that we believe could easily fix the issue with player retention, and overall casual player enjoyment.

When we play as a group, MOST OF THE TIME we are matched up against highly skilled players, and they are usually in a pretty large group. Our group mostly consists of tier 3 or 4 skilled players, and a few 2 and 1's. But if we ever group with T2 or T1, we almost ALWAYS get matched against much higher skilled players. One of the big issues here is the lack of tiers. I understand that they are the way they are because of the amount of players, but we thought of a few ways to fix this issue.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aside from adding more ranks to the PSR (Tier) system, we also believe that group sizes MUST be limited back down to 4 maximum. Community Warfare is the place to run your 12 man groups, not public match making. By doing this, it will not only give us quicker matches, but it would reduce deathballing a considerable amount. 4 groups of 3 is not nearly as powerful as two groups of 6. Communication in this game is a huge advantage, and for the public group queue, its really hurting the casual / newer players.

Another feature we think would be amazing in this game is dynamic match sizes. Based on the PSR system / amount of time to get into a match, you could see match sizes anywhere from a 8v8 to a 12v12 (These numbers are only an example). That way you get into matches much quicker, and they are more evenly matched. I've seen other games do this, the first that comes to mind is War Thunder.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A big issue I hear from many pilots is that they bought their first mech and just DO NOT like it. The issue here, is that it's a pretty huge purchase for a new player, and if its something they do not enjoy as soon as they are entering the grind phase of the game, they simply have no reason to keep playing. So what we suggest is that you allow players to build a loadout and TEST any mech in either the training grounds or against AI bots (I know they aren't in yet). That way the pilot is a lot better informed about the mech they are buying. (Also add mechlab tutorials).

Since so many mechs are now in the game (over 300+) we also believe that the amount of starting mech bays either needs to change, or allow the player to EARN mechbays for playing casually. Example - after 25 matches you also get a new mechbay, and also earn them by achievments, it doesn't have to be much, maybe only 2-4 to unlock, but give the player a GOAL to work towards. With the current system you CAN earn mechbays through Community Warfare, but you can't seriously expect a new player to be joining Community Warfare just to earn mechbays.

I understand mechbays are the bread and butter of the game, but it doesn't really matter much if the players are leaving before you can convince them to buy anything.

------------------------------One more thing we would like to see is a salvaging feature, collecting parts of mechs / weapons / engines, and allowing the player to build or sell this salvage, with a "Factory" section. Giving the player something to look forward to keeps the player engaged, and wanting to play more. "I just need the Cicada 2A right torso, and I could build the mech in the factory!". Something along those lines. Keeping new players engaged, and give them goals, means more long term commitment. A great example of this is Warframe.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Building a mech from salvage would cost c-bills, but a considerable amount less than buying the mech new. Also the parts would be pretty rare, so it would take a long time to collect these parts. We have more ideas for salvage and the factory, these are only examples. But you must remember this is a game, we believe it would make it more fun for the casuals / new players.

Lastly is the pilot skill tree. As it is now, is well, not good. But what we decided would help, is a buyout option for the skills. Instead of investing A LOT of cbills into mechs just to mastery them, you could also have the option to buyout the 2x / elite / mastery slot with a lot of mech EXP. We wanted to remove the 3 chassis limit altogether, but since some people do want 3 of a certain chassis, instead decided a buyout option would be better.

Example - make it so you have to earn the basic tree, then to unlock the next section, the TOTAL amount of the basic tree to unlock the next section, etc etc. This would allow the free to play players to keep mechbay space, but grind a bit more to get skills. There is a trade-off, but I think it would be worth it.

One last thing that I literally just thought of, is the mechlab. When a new player is experiencing the mechlab for the first time, it can be extremely overwhelming. Obviously a tutorial would help, but on top of that, how about a "Suggested Loadout" button? I know for every mech that would be a lot of work, but adding a simple button into the mechlab, allows the player to have a fairly decent loadout for the mech they just bought, and be an enjoyable experience with little effort. Then they can decide to tweak the loadout, or completely change it, when they feel a bit more comfortable in the mechlab.

That's about it for now, I think most of these ideas should be coming into the game no matter what at this point. If you want to keep new players, and long term casual players, I believe it would help tremendously. If you have any other suggestions please discuss. Right now I think PGI needs to seriously shift focus a bit here, because the game seems to be suffering from lack of population, and I personally want to see this game succeed. Without a strong base population, this game wont have a very big e-sports scene.

Please excuse my spelling / horrible grammar / scattered thoughts. Lets keep this post active, positive, and lets get the devs noticing this post!

I'll agree with most of what you have said, because most of us here have already made those suggestions aside from 4 player cap... DO NOT EVEN GO THERE!!!

Other than that carry on. Remember it's a team game if you want to play with friends you need to accept some people have more friends than you.

Edited by Imperius, 27 April 2016 - 12:02 PM.

#34 THE ERASER

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:04 PM

On the Mechbay Situation. I'm all up for to increase the free starting mechbays up to 8 or 12 so you can have 3 Chassis variant of your liking. And then add a option to earn Mechbays. We have a ton of Mechs and so increasing the Starting Mechbays is only fair.

#35 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:05 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 27 April 2016 - 11:46 AM, said:

I know why you started trolling me on this page in this topic. Get more obvious?

I am getting a small laugh from this. I will check back later though. Maybe try harder.

I am far from an MWO forums troll Johnny, I was commenting on Zacs post and u quoted me.

#36 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:10 PM

Damn since 3 or 4 years ( I lost track of time ) I'm typing that, MWO wants to keep the players in, retain the new ones... PVE.

they can learn, experiment, have fun, not bother about units, factions and stuff, bring a buddy along and fool around.

Edited by TheLuc, 27 April 2016 - 12:11 PM.

#37 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:13 PM

View PostTheLuc, on 27 April 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

Damn since 3 or 4 years ( I lost track of time ) I'm typing that, MWO wants to keep the players in, retain the new ones... PVE.

they can learn, experiment, have fun, not bother about units, factions and stuff, bring a buddy along and fool around.

That's been my stance and push for years as well, but Get Stomped Harder Phase 3 was more important *rolls eyes*

#38 Zakerystrife

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:43 PM

View PostImperius, on 27 April 2016 - 12:00 PM, said:

I'll agree with most of what you have said, because most of us here have already made those suggestions aside from 4 player cap... DO NOT EVEN GO THERE!!!

Other than that carry on. Remember it's a team game if you want to play with friends you need to accept some people have more friends than you.

I completely disagree with that, I believe having more than 4 players per team is directly causing an imbalance in the game. You can't sit there and tell me that a group of 10 people does NOT have a massive advantage over 3 groups of 4, who don't know each other, don't talk to each other, don't know what each other are running, don't have similar play styles or strategies.

I could care less how many friends you have, want to play with more? Go play private matches, or CW / FW. If its directly hurting casual balance, then its going to be scaring your new player base away. Yes it is in fact a team game, which is why I said communication is very important. You are forcing a pretty big imbalance with huge groups vs small groups. A leader telling 9 others to attack Alpha, will melt that mech very fast. Whereas a leader telling 3 others to attack Alpha might hurt the mech, but who knows what the other 8 people are doing. That's a lot of firepower difference.

#39 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:46 PM

having something more than a shallow, repetitive, arena shooter might help

View PostZakerystrife, on 27 April 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

I completely disagree with that, I believe having more than 4 players per team is directly causing an imbalance in the game.

Having a 4 man player cap devistated the player population last time they went there so if youre looking to not have that happen, then thats the opposite of what you want.

#40 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:50 PM

View PostZakerystrife, on 27 April 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

I completely disagree with that, I believe having more than 4 players per team is directly causing an imbalance in the game. You can't sit there and tell me that a group of 10 people does NOT have a massive advantage over 3 groups of 4, who don't know each other, don't talk to each other, don't know what each other are running, don't have similar play styles or strategies.

I could care less how many friends you have, want to play with more? Go play private matches, or CW / FW. If its directly hurting casual balance, then its going to be scaring your new player base away. Yes it is in fact a team game, which is why I said communication is very important. You are forcing a pretty big imbalance with huge groups vs small groups. A leader telling 9 others to attack Alpha, will melt that mech very fast. Whereas a leader telling 3 others to attack Alpha might hurt the mech, but who knows what the other 8 people are doing. That's a lot of firepower difference.

Then I will give you the same advice you game me. Go PLAY SOLO queue if you can't handle the big boy queue.

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 27 April 2016 - 12:46 PM, said:

having something more than a shallow, repetitive, arena shooter might help

Having a 4 man player cap devistated the player population last time they went there so if youre looking to not have that happen, then thats the opposite of what you want.

He probably wasn't around then though his badge says he was... Ignorance is bliss I guess...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users