31 replies to this topic

#21 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:58 PM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 04 May 2016 - 03:24 PM, said:

Yeah most people I have met can't stomach reading LotR (I can read it within a day when I try hard enough). The problem with LotR is that it is written in Epic language which is generally painful to read (hence why most people hate classical works).

Game of Thrones' use of old time words and spellings bugs me too. Luckily my brain always has this "take in context" thing going on in my brain so for some reason most books that use "wrong" spellings of words and such don't bother me to much (for instance I am the only person I know who enjoyed reading the Scarlet Letter or Count of Monte ******).

It is all subjective though. Most people I have met praise Hunger Games as being one of the best written novels and greatest pieces of literature to come out this decade. I personally find it to be nothing but drivel lol. Granted I have very unorthodox tastes... I mean I liked the Scarlet Letter and own two copies of it and have a copy of the Lord of the Rings in every room in my apartment.

Tolkien's diction or reputation as a blowhard who never met 50 pages of exposition he could say no to never bothered me. Some of the songs in his stories are irritating because its impossible to get the cadence or tune from the text alone. I liked the way reading LOTR made it feel like you travelled somewhere and had taken a trip.

Classic books like The Count of Monte ****** are awesome if you can get past the first 40 or so pages which tend to be extremely boring. Hunger Games, Divergent and The Force Awakens are overrated a bit because they portray female characters who break the damsel in distress mold.

#22 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:48 AM

Back on topic;
a Battletech movie could easily follow a unit like the Crescent Hawks or now that I think about it a TV show would be better as it could allow for more to be covered instead of just what could be mashed together in a two hour or so movie.

I also think comics would work as well because iirc fans loved the comics.

#23 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:45 PM

#24 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:23 AM

I have issues with anything that doesn't go with lore tech, such as Coolent Vest or Nero helmets.
besides I think Coolent Vest clad female warriors would get the heart pounding for some viewers, lol

Also details are a big part of things for me, like damage to Mechs, which we have seen in MW 3 when you lose a limb and all those wires hanging out or the intro movie for that game, shows what can be done(if not better thanks to modern technology we have).

*shutters* that wanna be atlas ugh one of the many reasons I HATE mechwarrior Dark Age clicky game...

@ Wiz
Thank you,
hmm, could you maybe list a unit.. and yes I am willing to go with non-canon units as long as they adhere to Lore tech and so on.

Edited by VinJade, 09 May 2016 - 05:33 AM.

#25 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:52 PM

sounds like a good one.
question for you Wiz, what do you think about stories around the Wolf Dragoons as well.. maybe filler like we seen with bleach?

#26 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:44 PM

@Wiz
I agree ELH would be a worth it as well.

#27 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:11 PM

I read Ghost of Winter. 1st half was well written and solid.

2nd half -- once the depot was discovered kind of declined.

It was probably an excellent story for the era in which it was written. Little things like Kintaro not being searched by the pirate's before they put him in the cell and managing to keep a derringer concealed in his boot stand out. That might've worked for that era when John McClane could tape guns to his back in the 1st Die Hard movie, not so much now when fans are so overzealous in nitpicking every little detail.

I think I'll read through the GDL, Blood of Kerensky, FedCom Civil War novels and whatever else I can find. It'll be slow going though.

Edited by I Zeratul I, 10 May 2016 - 08:12 PM.

#28 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 07:42 AM

@Z
don't forget to try and get your hands on the Jade Phoenix Trilogy it is an omnibus that covers a large chunk of Jade Falcons(and the only JF I ever respected was Aidan Pryde).

#29 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:08 PM

@Wiz
Wow, I didn't know that, its my third favorite.

#30 Valar13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 784 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:43 AM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 27 April 2016 - 11:03 AM, said:

Some of the straight characters would have to be gay, transexual, bisexual or lesbian to appeal to younger generations and remind everyone why its important to *hate religion*.

Wow, seriously?

#31 Valar13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 784 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:57 PM

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 15 May 2016 - 08:02 AM, said:

Probably. BT is written where most of all characters are straight, lots of basic racism in the series (seriously whites vs the Japanese and Asians who all live in their own factions). They would also have to invent or play up a lot of female characters to bring in the female crowd more.

I was more referring to the passive-aggressive equation of not hating gay people to hating religion.

#32 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:35 AM

View PostValar13, on 15 May 2016 - 06:43 AM, said:

Wow, seriously?

I don't know.

Would coldplay have played the superbowl halftime show if they weren't gay?

Also if you kept reading you might have noticed the words: "On a more serious note..." at the bottom.

I wonder what it means when someone says.. "on a more serious note"? Maybe it means they weren't being serious?

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 16 May 2016 - 04:35 AM, said:

Oh. Well yeah that was... yeah I won't remark on that much. That comment was very stupid and a violation of CoC if I recall (not yours the one we are talking about... just though I'd clarify). Frankly religion is very important in BT also.

Is religion a banned topic of discussion via CoC?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users