- - - - -

Are "narcs" Direct Fire?

20 replies to this topic

#1 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:28 AM

Or are they shot like LRMs? What is their range? (clan)

Thanks

#2 Quintus Verus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:15 PM

They are a direct fire single beacon fired like an SRM. Range for the Clan narc is 600. IS range is 450.

Here is a complete break down of range, heat, rate of fire, etc... for you to use.
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/equipment

Edited by Quintus Verus, 28 April 2016 - 12:16 PM.

#3 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:18 PM

More like a SRM, so direct/dumb fire.
NARC has better range than SRM at 450m (compared to 270 for SRM).

Basically, hit 'R', line up your shot and fire. Watch the rain as your target frantically dances around looking for hard cover. Posted Image

EDIT: ninja'd... what he said ^^

Edited by Morggo, 28 April 2016 - 12:19 PM.

#4 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:23 PM

Thanks! You need to be brave to get close enough to shoot a narc, lol.

As far as i know, i've never seen one used in the pick up battles I'm doing.

A more questions please. As far as "tag", do you need to hold it in a direct fire mode? And does tag and narc help everyone on your team? And does simply spotting with ecm?

AND, how the heck do I get rid of the trial mech in my bay and move to the one I own?

#5 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:24 PM

NARC beacon can be destroyed by AMS in flight.

#6 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:23 PM

View PostVlad Striker, on 28 April 2016 - 12:24 PM, said:

NARC beacon can be destroyed by AMS in flight.

Can be, but has a lot more health than an SRM. I don't remember how much, but it MAY be that a single AMS is insufficient. At close range, certainly, AMS won't have time to destroy it, but from max range, I don't know.

But yeah, once a target is NARC'd you don't need to keep looking at it, and your whole team can target that mech until the beacon falls off. TAG is MUCH less useful, as you need to keep the laser actively on the target until missiles arrive... and it's a visible beam, which makes you a target.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:34 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 28 April 2016 - 02:23 PM, said:

Can be, but has a lot more health than an SRM. I don't remember how much, but it MAY be that a single AMS is insufficient. At close range, certainly, AMS won't have time to destroy it, but from max range, I don't know.

3 health.

A single AMS needs either AMS overload or at least 2 seconds of firing time against the AMS NARC to take it down.
Twin AMS need a full second to take down a NARC.

The closer you are, the harder it is to shoot down.

Edited by Koniving, 28 April 2016 - 02:35 PM.

#8 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:11 PM

Mechs, and Clan Mechs that can take narcs are seeming to be hard to find. Is there a list or easier way to find out then to do a loadout on each one? I'd like more like Medium Mech that can use a narc.

#9 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:51 AM

I'm fairly certain NARC only requires a mech have a missile hardpoint to mount into.
Shouldn't be mech specific (like ECM is, etc).

#10 Quintus Verus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 184 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:19 AM

Narc can go in any missile hard point you have space and tonnage enough to mount it with ammo. I run narc on a lot of builds that might only have 1 or 2 missile hard points if I have spare tonnage for it or helps with the role of that battlemech.

#11 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:44 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 28 April 2016 - 05:11 PM, said:

Mechs, and Clan Mechs that can take narcs are seeming to be hard to find. Is there a list or easier way to find out then to do a loadout on each one? I'd like more like Medium Mech that can use a narc.

Medium Mechs which can use NARC include the Cicada X-5, most Vindicators, most Centurians, the Hunchback 4J or 4SP, most Shadow Hawks, most Wolverines, most Griffins, Kintaro, Ice Ferrit, Shadow Cat, Nova, some variants of the Hunchback IIC, and the Stormcrow

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 30 April 2016 - 04:18 AM.

#12 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:11 AM

Technically Jenners are Lights at 35 tonnes, however I've found my JR7-K makes a stunningly good and enjoyable Narc'er. Wicked fast, plenty of narc ammo, and even some SPL for kicks while making narc runs.

Anytime my lancemates pull out their missile boats or I'm just feeling the need to help make it rain, I pull her out and have a blast. :)

#13 Dibujor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:24 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 28 April 2016 - 12:23 PM, said:

AND, how the heck do I get rid of the trial mech in my bay and move to the one I own?

To choose the mech you bought you must go to 1 (select mech) and then select 2 (owned) and you'll see it there

Posted Image

#14 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:27 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 28 April 2016 - 05:11 PM, said:

As stated elsewhere above, any M hard point can accept a NARC launcher. NARC ammo is 12 shots per ton, and 1 critical slot per ton. IS NARC is HEAVY and kinda big. Clan NARC drops 1 ton and 1 critical slot, and gets the range advantage mentioned above, with no drawbacks. Two recommendations...

1.) RVN-3L. It's the only mech in the whole game, IIRC, that is quirked for NARC. And its NARC quirks are RIDICULOUS! (+100m NARC range, +15 seconds NARC duration)

2.) Enhanced NARC module. Increases the NARC beacon's speed in flight by 20%, and increases its duration by 30%. That's +0:09 to duration, and that's a LOT of information. Oh yeah, and on the RVN-3L, that stacks. Total duration of 00:54. Yes, almost a whole minute of target information and faster lock-on and all that. And the faster flight speed means it's less likely to be shot down by AMS, and it requires less lead on a moving target to hit.

Practice with it too, by the way. A recent patch finally fixed Testing Grounds and the Mechwarrior Academy, so that NARC and TAG both function correctly in there. SO now you'll FINALLY know if you hit your target!

#15 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:04 AM

One thing I should add that hasn't been said already, hitting with a NARC at range is hard, NARC beacons are fairly slow and they're not exactly easy to see so it's going to take quite a bit of practice before you're nailing mechs with them at the maximum range. That they're not easy to see also means that if you score a hit when nobody is looking at you there's a good chance you won't be spotted.
Also if you don't have the ability to lock a target you should always check for nearby ECM mechs, they can prevent you from locking on with or without NARC so go for those first, NARC disables their ECM.

#16 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:30 AM

View PostSister RAbbi, on 29 April 2016 - 10:27 PM, said:

1.) RVN-3L. It's the only mech in the whole game, IIRC, that is quirked for NARC. And its NARC quirks are RIDICULOUS! (+100m NARC range, +15 seconds NARC duration)

2.) Enhanced NARC module. Increases the NARC beacon's speed in flight by 20%, and increases its duration by 30%. That's +0:09 to duration, and that's a LOT of information. Oh yeah, and on the RVN-3L, that stacks. Total duration of 00:54. Yes, almost a whole minute of target information and faster lock-on and all that. And the faster flight speed means it's less likely to be shot down by AMS, and it requires less lead on a moving target to hit.

I second the above recommendations. Dropping as a NARC carrier is a big commitment, and you'll want all possible force multipliers. Stack the RVN-3L NARC quirks and the NARC module effects, plus add the speed and stealthiness (ECM) of the RVN-3L, and you have the best NARC carrier out there.

You can even pack perfectly decent armament for a light-class 'mech, while zooming around at 147 kph, under ECM, and carrying NARC with 30 reloads.

Best of all, the RVN-3L champion is available free from the ongoing event!

#17 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:21 AM

View PostMorggo, on 29 April 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

Technically Jenners are Lights at 35 tonnes, however I've found my JR7-K makes a stunningly good and enjoyable Narc'er. Wicked fast, plenty of narc ammo, and even some SPL for kicks while making narc runs.

Anytime my lancemates pull out their missile boats or I'm just feeling the need to help make it rain, I pull her out and have a blast. Posted Image

I ground most of the skills on my JR7-K by running it as a NARC harasser pre-quirks. Then it got MPL quirks in the Original Quirkening.

Still, with one high-mounted missile hardpoint, why not make the most of it as a total pain in the neck, if the alternative is being a completely inferior JR7-D?

I had fun with it, anyway. Made for a nice change of pace while grinding the JR7s.

View PostSister RAbbi, on 29 April 2016 - 10:27 PM, said:

As stated elsewhere above, any M hard point can accept a NARC launcher. NARC ammo is 12 shots per ton, and 1 critical slot per ton. IS NARC is HEAVY and kinda big. Clan NARC drops 1 ton and 1 critical slot, and gets the range advantage mentioned above, with no drawbacks. Two recommendations...

*pushes nerd glasses up on the bridge of his nose*

Akshuallee, TBT-7M has the exact same NARC quirks.

There are other mechs that are quirked for it, but none is so heavily quirked as the RVN-3L or the TBT-7M.

Source: Smurfy main page quirk listing

Top NARC Kek:
RVN-3L range +100, duration +15
TBT-7M range +100, duration +15

Moar NARC Kek, ClanTech Edition:
KFX-D, right arm, range +50, duration +10
SMN-B, left torso, range +50, duration +10
WHK-B, center torso, range +50, duration +10

A Little Moar NARC Lol:
KTO-19 duration +15 (Poor KTO-19, it doesn't even do it's lore-based job very well)

#18 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:16 PM

View PostVirlutris, on 01 May 2016 - 09:21 AM, said:

I ground most of the skills on my JR7-K by running it as a NARC harasser pre-quirks. Then it got MPL quirks in the Original Quirkening.

Still, with one high-mounted missile hardpoint, why not make the most of it as a total pain in the neck, if the alternative is being a completely inferior JR7-D?

I had fun with it, anyway. Made for a nice change of pace while grinding the JR7s.

*pushes nerd glasses up on the bridge of his nose*

Akshuallee, TBT-7M has the exact same NARC quirks.

There are other mechs that are quirked for it, but none is so heavily quirked as the RVN-3L or the TBT-7M.

Source: Smurfy main page quirk listing

Top NARC Kek:
RVN-3L range +100, duration +15
TBT-7M range +100, duration +15

Moar NARC Kek, ClanTech Edition:
KFX-D, right arm, range +50, duration +10
SMN-B, left torso, range +50, duration +10
WHK-B, center torso, range +50, duration +10

A Little Moar NARC Lol:
KTO-19 duration +15 (Poor KTO-19, it doesn't even do it's lore-based job very well)

Thanks for setting me straight there! Figures. Only one other mech in that list (besides RVN-3L) that I've owned a single instance of (WHK, of which I only own -C so far).

Let's call NARC quirks 'uncommon' then, eh? Unlike missile velocity quirks, where virtually EVERY IS missile mech gets a +10%.

Anyhoo, NARC is cool when you can work it. Even if your team isn't LRM-heavy, having someone tossing NARC around accomplishes a couple things...

1.) NARCed mechs KNOW that they're NARCed, and will usually seek cover immediately and stay close to cover until the NARC wears off. That, or they're begging to get crushed.

2.) NARC lets your whole team know where a mech is, what condition it's in, and so on. Great way to blow the whistle on enemy movement, by NARCing one or two mechs in the main body of that movement.

#19 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:20 PM

View Postjss78, on 01 May 2016 - 08:30 AM, said:

I second the above recommendations. Dropping as a NARC carrier is a big commitment, and you'll want all possible force multipliers. Stack the RVN-3L NARC quirks and the NARC module effects, plus add the speed and stealthiness (ECM) of the RVN-3L, and you have the best NARC carrier out there. You can even pack perfectly decent armament for a light-class 'mech, while zooming around at 147 kph, under ECM, and carrying NARC with 30 reloads. Best of all, the RVN-3L champion is available free from the ongoing event!

I doubt I'm winning any rewards, lol But this sounds like what I want. Although it would not work for Clan. I want to carry a active probe, ECM, Narcs and be very very fast.

And I will have to go back to the practice areas. I made the jump too soon but...who can't.

#20 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:00 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 01 May 2016 - 07:20 PM, said:

I doubt I'm winning any rewards, lol But this sounds like what I want. Although it would not work for Clan. I want to carry a active probe, ECM, Narcs and be very very fast.

And I will have to go back to the practice areas. I made the jump too soon but...who can't.

ECM, Active Probe, NARC, and speed? Would you like a few of the game's best mid-range weapon to go with it, along with great hitboxes? Jump Jets, too? Have I got the MECH for you!

Also, you can scrape 1/2 ton of armor off the right arm for an additional 1/2 ton of NARC ammo. One of the best light mechs in the game, if not THE best light mech chassis. Clan ERMLs hit for full damage at 400 meters, WELL outside the range of Clan Streak SRMs even with the level 5 range module. With ELITE skill level unlocked, you can keep firing those ERMLs for almost a half-minute before you overheat. Add Enhanced NARC and an ERML cooldown module, and they're fairly close to synchronizing with the NARC launcher. Pop up or around, fire NARC, immediately alpha the lasers, hide, reposition, and repeat. Friendly LRM boats will send you flowers. Enemies will curse your ancestors. Salt will flow. All will be right in the world.

Seriously, it's the best that the Clans can do to meet your four conditions (ECM, AP, NARC, and speed). Also, that example uses all 8 omnipods from the same variant, so you ALSO get a 2.5% bonus to XP earned. You're welcome!

Oh yeah, and here is the runner up. (Second Place is First Loser, or so they say; Such is the lot of the SadCat.) Not as fast. Heavier armament. More armor and structure. MASC. 15 tons heavier for your drop deck, and a different weight class that's just a LITTLE bit harder to drop in quick play (but still very manageable). Bigger, and with not-as-good hitboxes. Overall, yeah, not as great a solution as that ACH, but still a SOLID performer for what you want. You'll recognize the primary weapons configuration as that of the Shadow Cat CHAMPION mech. Also, in addition to increased range and alpha strike, those LPLs benefit from a Mk I Targeting Computer. You can drop that for another DHS if it's too toasty for ya. OR get RISKY and swap the LPLs for ERPPCs, for an actually decent pop tart experience. Convergence is almost a non-issue with the weapons being on the same side of the mech, and one of the two big ones is in a side torso so it's better protected. That left arm has nothing in it, so there's no point in armoring it unless you have tonnage to spare (SHC does not). An alternate to this would drop the LPLs to ERLLs, saving four tons. Add the head and LA armor back in, and use the other 3 tons to drop an ERML and a couple heat sinks in. That twin-ERLL build netted me my first 5-kill match, including a DWF. Not to be underestimated.

Or, just wait another couple months and the Viper will be here. THAT thing should be pretty sick at what you're wanting it to do. Basically, everything except the ECM, with the same build as the ACH (more jump jets though). It's gonna be interesting for roles other than brawling, and basically a 40-ton Clan light mech. Should be fun!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users