- - - - -

Getting Back Into Mwo

6 replies to this topic

#1 SummonerNGV

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:27 PM

Now that I have a mouse again, I want to start a new account. Worth it or no?

Also, can someone help me find a good med/heavy? I like dakka, if that helps...

(No dam blackhacks or cheesecrows)

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:59 PM

View PostSummonerNGV, on 28 April 2016 - 08:27 PM, said:

Check your account now for the following:
Mechs with (L) in their names.
If you have them, then not worth a new account.

If you don't, this really depends on how hard you think it would be to get the funds to do other mechs.

If you like Dakka and Clan mechs, try the Hunchback IIC or the Orion IIC?

#3 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:38 PM

And don't forget mechbays. Got more than 4? Ask yourself if you want to grind CW for those again.

Got any Pilot Skills unlocked (the ones which unlock only with GXP)? Do you want to earn those again?

Often times it is not a good idea to start a new account. Unless you've got loads of time on your hands and a willingness to spend it on MWO of course.

If you'd simply like a name change (because you regret your current pilot handle for instance) you can contact Support. Everyone gets 1 free name change in this game.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:49 PM

View PostSummonerNGV, on 28 April 2016 - 08:27 PM, said:

is it worth giving MWO another try? yes absolutely, it is a free game, all you have to loose is the time it takes to download.

what do you have on the old account?

starting a new account will get you about 12 million cbills for the cadet bonus from the first 25 games which you cannot get again on your old account however if you have a few Mechs unless you hate them all there is no point starting a new account, in that case keep the old one.

when you start do the tutorial, that will get you 5 million cbills, the first 25 games on the account will get you 12 million cbills.

#5 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:01 AM

You can change your name easy by going to profile and clicking on name. No need to contact support anymore. First time is free after that it's 4500 MC.

Unless your goal is to have a loyalist account for both clan and innersphere then haveing 2 accounts is just more work.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:57 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 28 April 2016 - 11:49 PM, said:

starting a new account will get you about 12 million cbills for the cadet bonus from the first 25 games which you cannot get again on your old account however if you have a few Mechs unless you hate them all there is no point starting a new account, in that case keep the old one.

There's actually a possibility of getting them again, actually. Names that go unused for a lengthy time turn 'newbie blue'.
But that seems to be about 1 to 2 years of dissuse and hardly worth the time it takes for it to happen.

#7 Elendil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:51 PM

I just started playing again after a couple years, and I'm having a pretty good time (for now).

If you're hoping that things have changed, they haven't.
The coolest things that seems to have happened are all the new mechs, and scouting matches.
  • ACs are all nerfed to hell and back, so lasers are the way to go at the moment. ER PPCs are okay, but not as good as lasers.
  • Also clans are nerfed to hell and back, so Inner Sphere is the way to go (IS have shorter laser duration than the Clan, among other things, and they added a bunch of "Quirks" to IS that bring their mechs up to par).
  • SRMs wreck stuff.
  • LRMS are okay in non-group matches. Experience and ECMs make them basically useless later, but for lower tier randoms they'll farm you some decent cash.
  • In general, sniping is fairly ineffectual. Medium range brawling and alpha strikes are what works.
  • There's a bunch of talk about Factions and Faction Warfare, but it's mostly crap still. And for some reason the leaderboards are completely useless for estimating the skill, worth, and population of a faction. I dug through those thing looking at stats and ratios and numbers of units and planets captured and the sizes of units and all that, but it turns out it's mostly useless data. Really the only thing that matters is who has more of MercStar on contract for their side.
  • Oh, and if you join an IS house, you can only use IS mechs in Faction Warfare, if you join a Clan you can only use Clan mechs. I'd recommend a merc unit, because even though they can only use mechs of the faction they're contracted with, they can switch sides when they sign new contracts and use the other type.
I'd still recommend playing though, at least for a couple weeks. There's a lot of bullcrap that breaks from canon, but frankly Battle Tech was always broken as hell and needed to be beaten with a huge nerf-stick.

Not sure if that helps, but good luck.

Edited by Elendil, 29 April 2016 - 06:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users