Help Me

17 replies to this topic

#1 Dibujor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:57 AM

So now that we have this event I've decided to try FW for the first time. I've never tried because I didn't think I was prepared to the more competitive frame, not wanting to ruin matches for my team because I don't really know what's what I'm suposed to do.

But with this event I guess there will be more noob players so it doesn't matter as much.

Now, the problem is I don't know what would be a good deck for invasion and a decent mech for scout missions. Not that I have much choice anyway. So I need your help with that.

I only have:

Ravens: 3L, 2X, 4X

Hunchback: 4G, 4J, 4SP

Warhammer: basic pack 6R, 6D, 7S

All of them elited. No champions, no heroes. And I don't have more free mechbays. Just 6 mill. Cbills.

I know that's not much to work with but that's why I need your help, it's those mechs and the trials.

Thoughts?

Thank you :)

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:14 AM

Go Inner Sphere, take a contract with one of the houses, I think you will need to create a Merc unit to do that. any combination of 4 of those Mechs except 3 Ravens and a Hunchback will make you a drop deck within tonnage limits for Invasion, pick your best variants and make a deck.

If playing scouting bare in mind you will need a Mech able to fight Light or medium Mechs, in my experience the HBK 4G or 4SP would probably be best for that out of your available Mechs.

For invasion you are likely to want to go heavier, probably the 3 WHMs with your favourite Raven or HBK, but ultimately the deck layout is up to you.

If you want to do well in this game the most overpowered things possible to have are coordination and teamwork, if you are with a large group ask them how you can help, and try to work with them.
Do not be afraid to sacrifice your Mech to give your team an advantage, on the other hand do not needlessly through away a Mech in good condition.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 29 April 2016 - 10:14 AM.

#3 Dibujor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:35 PM

For scouting I was thinking on the HBK-4SP (2xSRM6 and... 5xML I think)

So they merged the solo queue with the group again?

So now there's no reason to not make a one man unit because you'll end up in group queue nevertheless, and freelance has no reason to exist so if you don't want to be a loyalist and you play solo you must create a one man unit, right?

Given the rules for the event and how the things are going I don't think I'll be able to get all the rewards but seemed like a good excuse to try FW at last.

#4 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:32 PM

Definitely give the scouting matches a shot. Faster queues and fewer people to focus-fire you.

Also if you enjoy being able to win without firing a shot...your RVN-3L with ECM and max engine will be very good on the Gather Intel matches.

#5 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:36 PM

The Hunchback 4SP should be rock solid for the scouting games. It's one of the best medium brawlers, and those work well for the scouting games in general.

#6 Dibujor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:32 AM

I don't really know how this works but, perhaps the raven 3L if I'm "attacking" (ie collecting intelligence) and the hunchback 4SP if I'm defending in the scout missions?

#7 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:49 AM

View PostDibujor, on 30 April 2016 - 01:32 AM, said:

I don't really know how this works but, perhaps the raven 3L if I'm "attacking" (ie collecting intelligence) and the hunchback 4SP if I'm defending in the scout missions?

That's about what I'd do :)

#8 Dibujor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:12 PM

This is what I thought for a scouting raven 3L: RVN-3L - SCOUTING

XL275 is the biggest XL engine I own so, there's that

#9 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:19 PM

Obviously you can run 3 warhammers and a raven to make your dropdeck. Load them up however you want.

Any of the hunchbacks will do for defense scouting and an ecm raven is great for collecting intelligence.

If your in the hunt for more mechbays, stay merc and max it's loyalty points out. Then choose a faction and go loyalist till you max it out.

#10 Werner Budtke

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:31 PM

HB 4SP is prolly a good choice for scouting missions if u load SRM and focus fire.

#11 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:39 PM

Yee.. Merc max rank is about.. 1.000.000 LP??... and you become.. what.. an about 10-30 LP/Scouting... So.. I think you should do just for the first or the second free Mechbay and switch..

And try to play some Invasion games... that should give you a much higher LP pro game.. I think..

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:10 AM

View PostSky Hawk, on 30 April 2016 - 01:39 PM, said:

Yee.. Merc max rank is about.. 1.000.000 LP??... and you become.. what.. an about 10-30 LP/Scouting... So.. I think you should do just for the first or the second free Mechbay and switch.. And try to play some Invasion games... that should give you a much higher LP pro game.. I think..

you can no longer do that.

There is now a single Merc reward tree, each faction still has the per faction tree but you have a 10 game probation period on joining a faction before you are officially accepted, and if you break a "permanent" contract there is a 1 week cool down before you can take another, net result is instead of being able to get the 10 free Mechbays in 10 weeks you are now looking at more like 20-30 weeks.

#13 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:18 AM

View PostDibujor, on 30 April 2016 - 01:12 PM, said:

This is what I thought for a scouting raven 3L: RVN-3L - SCOUTING

XL275 is the biggest XL engine I own so, there's that

I like it. It's very similar to a CDA-X5 I've used as my main scout mech, just with the benefits of ECM. Nice combination of stealth, speed to gather intel, and ability to take down mechs. If it were mine, I'd replace the 2xMPL with 3xML + 1 DHS, to get some ranged poking ability and some tactical flexibility, but really that's up to personal preference.

#14 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:09 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...15a439e60ae4079

If you're playing IS, go fast. At least on attack, you can evade the defenders until the dropship comes and charge into the square at the last second.

you won't be able to fight with most of your light/mediums

#15 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:18 PM

The reason I said go merc first is that every other rank is a mechbay ( I think) , it also allows you to try factions out till you find one that you like the people in and that fits your playtime best, and keeps you relatively free to accept a unit invite to a loyalist unit if you are looking to go that route.

I am stuck playing merc, with 200 mechs, split about even half clan half Innersphere. If I had nothing but mechs from one side I would be a loyalist.

#16 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:31 PM

A solid all-round deck: 2x WHM, 2x HBK (4SP and 4G)
More consistent, can replace an hbk with the 4J if you want lrms. It's more consistent than the alternative.

Alternate deck: 3x WHM, trial locust. The locust can't really do much, so I recommend dropping it 2nd. If you had any 65 ton heavies, you could run 2x WHM and that then a Raven.

For scouting, the hunchback SP is pretty solid for both modes, the ravens are only really good for gather Intel. There's not much use for a large Las sniper and ravens tend to evaporate in a brawl. Only the 2x or Huggin can hack it at close range.

#17 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:06 PM

View PostStarbomber109, on 01 May 2016 - 10:31 PM, said:

Alternate deck: 3x WHM, trial locust. The locust can't really do much, so I recommend dropping it 2nd. If you had any 65 ton heavies, you could run 2x WHM and that then a Raven.

He can go with 3XWHM (210 tons) and a Raven (35 tons) and still missing 5 ton. No need for the locust...

#18 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:08 PM

View PostStarbomber109, on 01 May 2016 - 10:31 PM, said:

A solid all-round deck: 2x WHM, 2x HBK (4SP and 4G)
More consistent, can replace an hbk with the 4J if you want lrms. It's more consistent than the alternative.

For scouting, the hunchback SP is pretty solid for both modes, the ravens are only really good for gather Intel. There's not much use for a large Las sniper and ravens tend to evaporate in a brawl. Only the 2x or Huggin can hack it at close range.

Pretty much what I was gonna say. HBK-4SP in the first slot, and use it for scouting. WHM-6D in the second, with 5 LLs and arms stripped of armor and the biggest engine you can fit. Third and fourth, doesn't matter which order. Take the HBK-4G and WHM-6R. -4G should be pretty obvious--take the AC/20! And the WHM-6R, go with dual AC/10 and 4x ML, all in the torsos (strip the arms again) and a big engine. OR get daring and dual-Gauss that thing, but be CAREFUL. OR stuff some PPCs into the side torsos. A pair of PPCs and a pair of AC/5s will mach up pretty well for velocity and range.The cooldowns don't sync up well, but that's okay.

NOW, the temptation may be to take the RVN-3L for recon. THIS IS WRONG AND WILL END IN TEARS. Not a BAD mech, per se, but between the challenge event and just how a lot of people play Scouting, it more often than not devolves into 4v4 Skirmish. Your RVN-3L is not equipped for that. It's simply not a DPS machine. If you DO decide to take it, though, do not run the Champion build (twin ERLL). Try to get an Artemis SRM-6 in the RT, and 3x MPL (1x RT, 2x RA), ECM, and the biggest engine you can still fit.

Now, here comes the challenging part. You want to take ammo along in Invasion like for Quick Play--enough to kill all 8 mechs in Testing Grounds. But in Scouting, that's a BIG waste of tonnage and space. If nothing else, I'd rebuild when switching between Scouting and Invasion, taking less ammo and more heat sinks in the former. You'll only have, AT MOST, four targets to engage, and all will be 55 tons or lighter (with the armor and structure of mechs weighing 55 tons or less). Enough ammo to kill three TBRs, really. Go to Testing Grounds, find the three heaviest mechs in there, and core them with just your ammo-dependent weapons. How much ammo did that take? That's all you need in Scouting, AT MOST, rounding DOWN to the half-ton. Plus or minus a half-ton.

For example, in the JR7-O Oxide hero mech, I'll usually run 4.5-5.0 tons of SRM ammo for its four SRM-4s. That's in Quick Play or Invasion. In Scouting, that's easily two more tons than I need. I can swap up to a heavier engine and/or more double heat sinks. And when transitioning from Scouting to Invasion, switch back to the 12v12 build with more ammo, and with a little less speed and heat efficiency.

EXAMPLE:

HBK-4SP for 12v12 Invasion
HBK-4SP for 4v4 Scouting

Small change. OR, you can forego the extra DHS and bump up the engine by a ton for a little more speed.

In case you DO roll RVN-3L, try THIS. The ol' Champion build works fine (as Ravens go) in 12v12, but in Scouting you almost never have to deal with those sorts of ranges. Take something ALMOST brawl-worth instead, and be sure to switch-up which leg you show your enemy frequently--RVN legs are pretty easy to pop nowadays. That left arm is pretty much useless to you, so no point wasting armor on it. If you have to shield, give 'em the LEFT side and preserve the weapons on the right even at the expense of that Guardian ECM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users