6 replies to this topic

#1 Pineapple Salad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 142 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:14 AM

I don't know if this belongs to new player help because the guys I'm playing with are supposed to be at least tier 3. But either way, here's a real pro tip: Turning your back to the enemy and running away is not a good idea if you want to win the match.

Also, if you can't see any enemies where you're running at, then you should be able to tell that they must be somewhere else with basic deduction! This isn't rocket science, stop running away from the enemy if you care about winning.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:13 AM

"We don't retreat, we beat feet."

Run away at an angle and shoot the enemy as you "maneuver for a better position."

#3 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:13 AM

This is maneuver that lose any battle in humans history. It's avalanche - first runner takes two they takes four and so on. Game is over.
It's happens when people don't watch for tactical situation. If any lose armor he goes to back lines then other MUST cover his retreatment. Then they will have 5-6 seconds to fall back. Back lines must turn to enemy ant shoot. And so on.

#4 Elendil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:36 PM

Retreat is an extremely valuable tool in this game... It's one of the most basic survival tools that every player should learn.
Nearly every time that I die and it's my fault, it's because I didn't retreat when I should have.

Happens all the time:
You set up to snipe, you're surrounded by allies, 30 seconds later they've moved somewhere else and you're facing down the entire enemy team.
You'd better believe I'm going to run...

I also like playing light mechs and harassing/picking off lone enemies, so I frequently stumble into their whole group, wet myself, and flee like a frightened Zoidberg (I have as much armor on the back of my light as the front).

I also hide a lot. Every player should learn how to hide too, another vital skill. "Spotting" isn't very useful to your team if you get your face shot off in the first 2 minutes of the match.

I would MUCH rather have a living ally who ran than a dead one who stood his ground like an idiot and accomplished nothing.
There are plenty of cases where standing firm is the appropriate action though, and if you run you should be TKed. Like if you abandon an ally you could have saved. Or if you're in an assault for some strange reason... (since they are incapable of running)

But 90% of the time running and hiding are the most valuable things you can do for your team.

#5 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:32 AM

the OP isn't talking about poking or maneuvering, he's talking about the fact some players who player a shooter game, doesn't seem to understand the concept of shooting back.

I've seen more than my fair share of players who run away at the sight of a few small lasers. It's not even funny when you see 6 mechs turn and hightail it when the front mech gets hit by a few pew pews. i guess it's really difficult to grasp that when someone else is being shot, you're not, so the other 5 of you shoot back at the MF who was shooting at your ally.

#6 Agent005

Rookie

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:03 AM

I think a lot of it probably has to do with people carrying baggage over from other shooters, because I do this a lot too, although I'm getting better at it. It's that instant panic reaction of "oh crap I'm being shot at, I need to move". It's very hard to unlearn after years of playing other, more traditional shooters. Admittedly, though, it is kind of humorous to see heavies and assaults run like headless chickens at the sight of a few small lasers (and decidedly less humorous when the enemy team surrounds you and decimates your entire team in minutes).

#7 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:44 AM

View PostElendil, on 29 April 2016 - 05:36 PM, said:

Happens all the time:
You set up to snipe, you're surrounded by allies, 30 seconds later they've moved somewhere else and you're facing down the entire enemy team.

Don't snipe then. Take a brawler and get in there!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users