- - - - -

3 Factors

10 replies to this topic

#1 ghost of char

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:33 PM

As an experience player, I have collected at least three factors which determine your victory and defeat in quick play.
1. coordination. If you attack a lone assault, in a far away map, You have 5 other light mechs scouting with you, but if there is only one mech which following you to attck the deserted asssault, and on the last minute you then realized that the whole enemy's team were not too far away from the deserted mech, running away seemed impossible. If all of the five other mechs were following you, your chances to have confidence is higher, so whatever happened next seemed easier. So make sure ;NOT to attack enemy/es alone or by yourself- which to me this mistake was contributing most of my defeats.

2. waiting sucks. that's right, sometimes I want to just rushed into enemies map and just taking chances in shooting the enemies. But most of the time, you have to wait, especially if you don't have a huge mech. well I guess it happened to all of the mechs. so wait. wait for the opportunities or gather a few mechs to have a planned attack.

3. why lose? because either you suck, or your team suck, sometimes I don't want to believe this theory but well.....I hate to admit it....more often than not, if your team played good, you will have a better motivation to win. who agrees with me?

Edited by ghost of char, 29 April 2016 - 05:35 PM.

#2 Elendil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:23 PM

Pretty much, yeah.

I could distill it down even further:

Don't die.
Avoid doing things that will probably get you killed. Make "not getting killed" your highest priority, with dealing damage being a secondary priority. You can't deal damage when you're dead.
Even if you accomplish nothing, the mere presence of your mech on the battlefield will make the enemy more cautious, which helps save the lives of your allies.

Coincidentally, the best way to not get killed is to stick with your allies and not run off to "scout" or "spot".

#3 ghost of char

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:11 PM

View PostElendil, on 29 April 2016 - 06:23 PM, said:

Pretty much, yeah.

I could distill it down even further:

Don't die.
Avoid doing things that will probably get you killed. Make "not getting killed" your highest priority, with dealing damage being a secondary priority. You can't deal damage when you're dead.
Even if you accomplish nothing, the mere presence of your mech on the battlefield will make the enemy more cautious, which helps save the lives of your allies.

Coincidentally, the best way to not get killed is to stick with your allies and not run off to "scout" or "spot".

I really love......to have my pointers green.........that's all......

#4 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:17 AM

View Postghost of char, on 29 April 2016 - 05:33 PM, said:

As an experience player, I have collected at least three factors which determine your victory and defeat in quick play.
1. coordination. If you attack a lone assault, in a far away map, You have 5 other light mechs scouting with you, but if there is only one mech which following you to attck the deserted asssault, and on the last minute you then realized that the whole enemy's team were not too far away from the deserted mech, running away seemed impossible. If all of the five other mechs were following you, your chances to have confidence is higher, so whatever happened next seemed easier. So make sure ;NOT to attack enemy/es alone or by yourself- which to me this mistake was contributing most of my defeats.

2. waiting sucks. that's right, sometimes I want to just rushed into enemies map and just taking chances in shooting the enemies. But most of the time, you have to wait, especially if you don't have a huge mech. well I guess it happened to all of the mechs. so wait. wait for the opportunities or gather a few mechs to have a planned attack.

3. why lose? because either you suck, or your team suck, sometimes I don't want to believe this theory but well.....I hate to admit it....more often than not, if your team played good, you will have a better motivation to win. who agrees with me?

Is this an alt account for you? Otherwise, I'm not sure how you can call yourself an experienced player with only 3 posts.

Having said that, there are some errors here that I feel need to be addressed:

If you're talking about pug drops, you're not going to have 6 lights on one side. If you do, and you're all together, that's not scouting. Lone mechs scout. Also, one light should be able to take out one assault unless the assault driver is really good and/or is loaded with streak 6s and/or LBXs. Otherwise the light should easily dispatch the assault.

Rather than not attacking alone, maybe better advice would be to press R and look at the enemy loadout before attacking. Longer range weapons are generally harder to aim close up. But, this also depends on what weapons are on the light. Personally I HATE light snipers on my team, but if you're in a light sniper and the enemy has short range weapons, stay far away and plink at their armor until something changes.

Yes waiting sucks. There is a time for patience, and there is a time for movement. One of the most important factors to winning is knowing when to do what. When the friendly assaults are gathered in one spot and the location of the enemy force is known, the assaults MUST move forward and attack a single target until he is destroyed. If the assaults stay in one place too long they are inviting an enemy flank, which unless it is quickly countered usually results in an enemy win.

Your 3rd point should simply be deleted.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:59 AM

1) going after a lone heavy or assualt Mech in a Light is fine provided you know its loadout and are confidant you can take it, especially if you know where the rest of the enemy team is, however whatever you do do not go chasing that lone Light or fast medium Mech as it will often try to lead you back to its teams firing line.

2) agreed, waiting can be boring, it is especially problematic in solo queue, if you know that your team has a plan which requires patience it is not a problem for me but if the team is just hiding while the enemy bombard us that is a serious problem

3) it is quite possible to loose without you or your team doing anything wrong, sometimes you just get outplayed, a single mistake by a single player can cost/win you the match.

saying someone sucks is usually the retort of the bitter the player who ran off on his/her own and got killed early with minimal damage.
if the team looses please to not tell them they suck if you want other players to respect you.

the key factors to victory are coordination, information and aggression, however charging the enemy firing line is not usually a good idea.
You always have options beside charging the enemy firing line, if the enemy defend a location in skirmish then send your faster Mechs to attack the firing line from the rear/side, then while they are distracted push with the big Mechs, if on assault, conquest or domination just play the objective to force the enemy to give up their superior position, if on invasion for the defenders to setup a good enough firing line to guarantee your loss from one direction that means another approach is unguarded, if they have all the gates well defended have a few people grab a Light Mech for the next drop and have the lights kill the gens while they are killing your heavy/assault Mechs.

if you want tactical options never vote skirmish it is the most tactically boring mode and you will get it about half the time anyway because at current it almost never looses the vote if it is available

#6 ghost of char

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:35 AM

View Postmailin, on 30 April 2016 - 02:17 AM, said:

Is this an alt account for you? Otherwise, I'm not sure how you can call yourself an experienced player with only 3 posts.

Having said that, there are some errors here that I feel need to be addressed:

If you're talking about pug drops, you're not going to have 6 lights on one side. If you do, and you're all together, that's not scouting. Lone mechs scout. Also, one light should be able to take out one assault unless the assault driver is really good and/or is loaded with streak 6s and/or LBXs. Otherwise the light should easily dispatch the assault.

Rather than not attacking alone, maybe better advice would be to press R and look at the enemy loadout before attacking. Longer range weapons are generally harder to aim close up. But, this also depends on what weapons are on the light. Personally I HATE light snipers on my team, but if you're in a light sniper and the enemy has short range weapons, stay far away and plink at their armor until something changes.

Yes waiting sucks. There is a time for patience, and there is a time for movement. One of the most important factors to winning is knowing when to do what. When the friendly assaults are gathered in one spot and the location of the enemy force is known, the assaults MUST move forward and attack a single target until he is destroyed. If the assaults stay in one place too long they are inviting an enemy flank, which unless it is quickly countered usually results in an enemy win.

Your 3rd point should simply be deleted.

yes, I have multiple accounts, and I have 300 plus hours on my steam, yeah 300 flying hours for a pilot perhaps not as experienced as years of playing this game, but I like MWO, why I change my account? because I got broke of cbills and I just try something new.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:02 AM

Not sure why you'd use an alt created just yesterday to give pointers when you can use an account that has been around since...whenever?

The three factors in the first post are... somewhat broken in their meaning. While I get the gist the sentences are really unnatural the point that it requires a forced level of processing to understand.

Your average new player is already under a major amount of information overload even with messages that easy to read and understand. If you want to give advice, please remember that your average reader doesn't want to spend more than 3 minutes reading a huge post and one as short as yours should be read and processed in under a minute.

I lost track of how long it took me to grasp what you were trying to say, and in that time someone went from the next town over to my backyard before I could get up to put a shirt on.

So, for a quick critique or a TL;DR: Take a few moments to read over your own post before you send it and ask yourself: "Can I read each individual sentence without pausing? If not, how can I make it smoother?"

#8 ghost of char

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:25 PM

View PostKoniving, on 30 April 2016 - 07:02 AM, said:

Not sure why you'd use an alt created just yesterday to give pointers when you can use an account that has been around since...whenever?

The three factors in the first post are... somewhat broken in their meaning. While I get the gist the sentences are really unnatural the point that it requires a forced level of processing to understand.

Your average new player is already under a major amount of information overload even with messages that easy to read and understand. If you want to give advice, please remember that your average reader doesn't want to spend more than 3 minutes reading a huge post and one as short as yours should be read and processed in under a minute.

I lost track of how long it took me to grasp what you were trying to say, and in that time someone went from the next town over to my backyard before I could get up to put a shirt on.

So, for a quick critique or a TL;DR: Take a few moments to read over your own post before you send it and ask yourself: "Can I read each individual sentence without pausing? If not, how can I make it smoother?"

yeah...my laptop login automatically on my older account and I just pressed the enter button, when I realized, I already type the answer, yeah by the way I never see you on any matches, konniving, what tier are you?

#9 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:48 PM

Koniving has his own tier.

In all seriousness He's at least tier 2, probably tier one though. As I never saw him till I hit tier 3. Same for alot of streamer/you tubers it seems. Quite a few guys in units play group drops only so that may limit your chances of seeing him, the beef, gman, Sean lang and a few other names if you are not in a group.

Tier really isn't all that, if you play good games long enough you will end up in tier 1. Playing exceptionally well will get you there faster though. On the other hand you have to do extremely poorly to significantly have a drop in tier. I know cause I tried it on an alternative account. By no means am I knocking anyone's skill lvl though. Some people are just better pilots than others.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 11:48 PM

The people I usually play with are tier 3 and 2, a few of our former members are tier 1. Myself with a lapse of play to go by, was put into the bottom tier at the time (4). Bottom is now 5. Most matches give me two up arrows for psr so I imagine if I played regularly I would be at least mid-3 by now.

To be honest though I like it where I am. Playing for fun is a lot more fun without the try-hard insta-kill b.s. I was putting up with back before the psr system. It really is awful sometimes.

The hilarity of trumping meta-mongrels with "heresy" builds wears thin when you find that instead of greetings you get calls for revenge and find that in order to not get singled out you gotta paint yourself a boring olive green and try to get in behind and close to enemies by sitting out of the action and stealthing it up in a way that isn't worth filming for just a couple mins of fun per match with a scenario like this.

https://youtu.be/Qp1ieKr-ELU

It just wasn't the same as a good time like this:
https://youtu.be/qn133WllP2U
(Note the LRM alarm is added in for every time missiles are about to hit me and doesn't go off when lrms are likely to miss. Phew so many while bunny hopping off a small swarm of lights.)

I'm hoping to have times like these again soon.
https://youtu.be/D3dAV4l6drE
3, 2, 1...boom
https://youtu.be/Qlju-nX1WSc

(Sorry about the links not showing as vids here, I'm on my cheap phone.)

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 11:53 PM

I found b33f twice in reg matches before psr.

Search Koniving B33f Kon
You should find both. Or at least the one that B33f called an interesting brawler build. A banshee armed with a lot of small pulse, a mpl or two, lbx and an lpl. It seemed to impress him.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users