10 replies to this topic

#1 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:16 PM

First, THIS gem. KGC spawned in the event D (Can't remember its name). Missing a lot of the right arm textures. Thought you should know.

More later, but destructible vehicles are BACK BABY! Thanks!

#2 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:33 AM

Looks more like the arm was blown off but failed to detach - if you were relatively far away when you did the damage, it might be a LOD issue.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:08 PM

View PostSister RAbbi, on 29 April 2016 - 09:16 PM, said:

First, THIS gem. KGC spawned in the event D (Can't remember its name). Missing a lot of the right arm textures. Thought you should know.

More later, but destructible vehicles are BACK BABY! Thanks!

This problem hasn't happened to me since early open beta. Even without Dave's comment I would have said the same thing (though wouldn't have known to suspect it to be an LoD issue even if I would have tied it to a rendering issue.)

#4 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:05 PM

Paperdoll shows arm blown off and both AC20 functional...

..that's LoD issue too.. i guess..

#5 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:12 PM

View PostDave Forsey, on 03 May 2016 - 07:33 AM, said:

Looks more like the arm was blown off but failed to detach - if you were relatively far away when you did the damage, it might be a LOD issue.

I did a poor job of explaining...

That mech was one of the ones to be 'disarmed' in event D. That is, you find the mech missing one arm and with structure damage to the other, and you are to destroy the other arm. I believe you're expected to do this to THREE enemies in the event to satisfy that requirement.

So, when the mech SPAWNS, one arm immediately blows up. If you're standing nearby when it spawns, you'll hear the arm shatter. That is what happened here, I believe. The right arm on that mech, immediately upon spawning in, was destroyed to set it up as a 'disarm' target mech. But part of the arm DIDN'T fall off or blow up or whatever it should have done.

As pointed out above (thanks, LOADED!), the arm's AC/20 was still shown intact. I don't really know a lot about how MWO (or CryEngine) handles LoD, with regard to changing LoD with a changing range between. FWIW, though, I wasn't far away when the mech spawned in and lost its arm. Maybe another 40-50 meters away from the lower tunnel entrance? Now I kinda wish I had been rolling video the whole time...

Edited by Sister RAbbi, 03 May 2016 - 10:16 PM.

#6 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 01:37 PM

Happened to me today AGAIN, as I was preparing a GRF-1N(P) to start leveling. CHECK it out. Spawned that way, not a couple hundred meters away. I hadn't fired a single shot at it. All settings VERY HIGH, VSync on. Again, like last time, it was a disarm-me-plz mech in the targeting practice event D. You can see all that from the video though.

#7 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:08 AM

Well... bother. Seen it on anything other than a King? (Kings are rigged differently from other 'Mechs)

Does it still give you the "dis-armed" objective if you take out the other arm?

#8 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:27 AM

View PostDave Forsey, on 09 May 2016 - 07:08 AM, said:

Well... bother. Seen it on anything other than a King? (Kings are rigged differently from other 'Mechs)

Haven't noticed it on any other mechs. I'd suspect it's something with how the mech first spawns and THEN its arm blows up, and the weirdness that is KGC. ALSO, I don't get reticle flash if I shoot the mysterious floating arm piece thingie.

Destroying the other (intact) arm DOES seem to count for the objective. Has in both instances that I've observed so far, at least.

#9 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:31 AM

Ok, thanks. We'll log it, but since it doesn't affect progression the priority is likely to remain very low.

#10 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:35 AM

No worries. Again, just thought I'd bring it up, but it doesn't stop anyone from doing anything, and really doesn't (IMHO) affect the Academy experience.

P.S.- Thanks!

#11 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 12:22 PM

View PostDave Forsey, on 09 May 2016 - 07:08 AM, said:

I have now seen it on a Catapult. ;)

Now, we've established that I don't know anything about the behind-the-scenes of this game. Roger. But if I were a gambling man, my money would be on this being related to how we treat things like missile bay doors and whatnot, that can be opened manually with the '/' key. We know they're messed-up as shadows (the shadows stay detached from the mech, not bobbing along with it as it walks), but that's minor stuff.

Haven't had an opportunity to test this on a Crab (CRB, not KGC), but I'd SUSPECT that it would be the same. Something about that open/close door thing, and how it's treated behind the scenes, leaving it in place when the arm is destroyed in whatever way the Academy chooses to do that (such that it differs from live matches, where an arm might be destroyed by weapons fire, or in the odd 1/1,000,000 occurrence, by overheating with override engaged).

<3

Academy is coming along nicely, nonetheless!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users