232 replies to this topic

#41 MacKJames

• PipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:24 AM

View PostAppogee, on 30 April 2016 - 02:46 AM, said:

PS: Incidentally, the population of the planet has grown by a billion (17%) since Mechwarrior 4 was released.

View PostNavid A1, on 30 April 2016 - 02:52 AM, said:

And that is not even taking into account the number of people who play games and have PCs capable to rub said games.

Its like comparing the number of cell phone numbers from 2016 to the one from 1990.

And this is why most people believe ******** statistics. It's because they look at the stats gathered but ignore any of the variables surrounding them.

#42 Barfing Gopher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:30 AM

Meh, I pretty much stopped playing, the "balancing" and bullcrap always took away anything that made a specific mech worth having, and I have almost all of them. So now I just come play once in a while, won't buy anything anymore, but hey, enjoy my last monies, while I'm a little ashamed that I helped fund this crapfest I'll play your free game once in a while. When the Kodiak drops that a friend bought for me I'm done after leveling.

#43 DarklightCA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 774 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:00 AM

Some of the best games I've played have taken inspiration from mods for other games. Some really good games have been improved by adding in features that use to be mods in their previous games.

Russ honestly should be lucky that he has a community of people that play his game that give that much crap about it's success enough to give input on how to improve it. He doesn't have to accept everything people say but it doesn't seem that productive to ignore the countless people who actually play his game giving their input on how to improve it.

What do I know though. All of PGI's brilliant ideas have been so fantastic and have worked out 100% for this game despite what the community of players that actually play it states Posted Image.

#44 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:06 AM

Editing for kindness:

The problem with this game is that leadership has a stranglehold on creativity.
The gameplay is binary.
Your mech is on, or its off. No functional inbetween.
You can lock onto a target, or you cannot. Little-no functional inbetween.
If your cursor is on the target, you will hit with lasers. No matter what.

Community Warfare is a glorified queue.
The constant concern is that people aren't getting enough Cbills/XP to make it worthwhile compared to quickplay. If that's the concern, you don't have community warfare. You have a different game mode with a queue.
Community Warfare typically involves a community.
Diplomacy, backstabbing, wars, alliances, competition. You don't have any of that because you cannot possibly have any of that in an open queue system.

We told you in 2014 it was going to flounder because the community was (and remains) nothing more than bodies in an algorithm chain. Like mice on a hamster wheel.

Faction Warfare 3 was a great addition. Unfortunately it was adding another floor onto the leaning Tower of Piza. (Which I might add is merely a spectacle at this point...)

Edited by Livewyr, 30 April 2016 - 07:22 AM.

#45 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:13 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 30 April 2016 - 12:24 AM, said:

More unique players have played MWO than any previous MW title. Not to say many of the players that tried it stuck with it... that's a different issue. But yeah, by the numbers MWO is very successful for such a nice title.
That really shouldn't be surprising given that MWO is a F2P game and we are in a time that PCs capable of playing games like this are far more prevalent than they were back during the time of the other games. That also makes those numbers entirely irrelevant as to the success of the game vs the previous versions.

Edited by WarHippy, 30 April 2016 - 07:23 AM.

#46 bLeeat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 371 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:23 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 30 April 2016 - 07:13 AM, said:

That really shouldn't be surprising given that MWO is a F2P game and we are in a time that PCs capable of playing games like this are far more prevalent than they were back during the time of the other game. That also makes those numbers entirely irrelevant as to the success of the game vs the previous versions.

lol i remember back in 99' buying mechwarrior and my cpu couldnt play it,,, i stared at the box for so long ...

#47 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:46 AM

View PostbLeeat, on 30 April 2016 - 07:23 AM, said:

lol i remember back in 99' buying mechwarrior and my cpu couldnt play it,,, i stared at the box for so long ...

I remember playing MW2 on a Pentium I, with 16MB RAM. It was still lagging so I begged my father to buy me another 16 MB RAM. Oh the tears of joy I shed when MW2 finally ran smooth with the awesome power of 32 MB RAM!

#48 Team Chevy86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:49 AM

Hahahaha! What a hypocritical peice of work Russ is. I'm glad I haven't bought anything but the occasional MC pack.

For months leading up to the new maps, the new mechlab, rescale phase 3, the public test for rebalance, etc, all you would see is "community driven feedback, community driven feedback, we thank the community for their feedback" ... Then they turn around and say we don't know anything. Lol. Get bent. The players know more about balance and the way a game plays more than anyone. It's like that with any game. The fact that FW is falling flat for %90 of the playerbase shows this.

I hope next time they have a bright idea like 'Ghost damage" and "ghost range" They just go ahead and implement it without telling anyone. See how far that gets them.

Edited by Team Chevy86, 30 April 2016 - 07:52 AM.

#49 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:52 AM

View PostTeam Chevy86, on 30 April 2016 - 07:49 AM, said:

Hahahaha! What a hypocritical peice of work Russ is. I'm glad I haven't bought anything but the occasional MC pack.

For months leading up to the new maps, the new mechlab, rescale phase 3, the public test for rebalance, etc, all you would see is "community driven feedback, community driven feedback, we thank the community for their feedback" ... Then they turn around and say we don't know anything. Lol. Get bent. The players know more about balance and the way a game plays more than anyone. It's like that with any game. The fact that FW is falling flat for %90 of the playerbase shows this.

I hope next time they have a bright idea like 'Ghost damage" and "ghost range" They just go ahead and implement it without telling anyone. See how far that gets them.

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

#50 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:52 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 29 April 2016 - 11:23 PM, said:

Clearly it takes a rocket scientist to fix the MGs. We are not worthy!

I can step up to the plate in that regard! Posted Image

#51 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:27 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 29 April 2016 - 11:55 PM, said:

Well, actually, Russ made a good point about the success of MWO. It's technically more financially successful than any previous Mechwarrior title, and has a higher installed player base than any previous game in the series as well.

For such a niche title, the player base has typically been very high in MWO compared to other similar games.

There was a point Russ made... though he didn't say so directly, it was implied in the tone of how some questions in the townhall were answered... that PGI has wasted a lot of time and effort chasing a target that some of the most vocal in the minority of players in MWO are setting. And that... if they could stop trying to satisfy the whims of this minority for a bit, some real positive things could get done.

It was rough hearing the level of exasperation in his voice.

What things have they been chasing, and what positive things are being set aside for that chase I wonder?

Kinda makes me think they didn't want to do Phase 3 at all, and felt some obligation. Maybe they will scrap the whole CW thing entirely and just make Solaris.

#52 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:36 AM

View Postadamts01, on 30 April 2016 - 04:42 AM, said:

A brake mechanic could kill a few customers a year and still be doing a better job than 99.99% of us customers. That doesn't really say much.

The difference is, I'm fairly sure 90% of the people on this forum have the mental capacity to become brake mechanics, if they put their hearts and souls into it. I don't think 90% of the people on this forum would be able to successfully start an independent gaming company in Canada with 50-60 employees and revive an old video game series from the 90s, no matter if they put their heart and soul into it.

A lot more people try and fail at becoming successful, independent game developers than people who try and fail at becoming brake mechanics, relatively speaking.

#53 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:38 AM

Even the small sample size rating PGI and Russ as a CEO is barely 50% approval on glassdoor.com. Which is all you need to know about him and his company. If he was a competent leader it would be much higher. It mirrors what we get in MWO. THe dude is Beta pretending to be an alpha.

https://www.glassdoo...44886.11,24.htm

#54 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:39 AM

ive been waiting for them to man up and say that for years. its there game and they need to rely less on all the whining of the biggest babies on the forum. when it comes right down to it a game is a very complex system with a large number of interdependant values, change one and as a result you will change several others. then there are the things that are hard to quantify. when people start nitpicking over hitboxen and hardponint height things have gone too far.

we can still point our fingers at things that suck though. im pointing at you machine guns, 2 class guns, and is streaks!

Edited by LordNothing, 30 April 2016 - 08:43 AM.

#55 Chimera_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 446 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:42 AM

I think much of the issue comes from the fact that often times the least knowledgeable people with ideas are the most vocal about them. If even half of the ideas people threw at PGI were good or well thought out I'm sure they would be more willing to consider them. When I see 99% of people in twitch chat going "MACKIEEE/MAD CAT MK II, RARRR" "GIVE US 50 MORE FACTIONS IN CW" "REMOVE QUICK PLAY AND MAKE EVERYONE DO CW" "GIVE ALL CLAN MECHS 20% WEAPON COOLDOWN TO FIGHT OP IS" I can't do anything but cringe.

PGI have made plenty of mistakes, but very few people in this community actually have the ability to make good, balanced suggestions. Often times people just scream as loud as they can for some random feature that has no relevance to 99% of the playerbase. I think PGI would do well if they could sort the gems from the white noise.

I've seen this same kind of thing with other F2P multiplayer games. In Star Trek Online, they stopped listening to any community feedback pre-patch. (and didn't even tell people what they were developing until days or weeks before it came out)

Edited by Chimera11, 30 April 2016 - 08:47 AM.

#56 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:45 AM

PGI has wasted a lot of time and effort chasing a target that some of the most vocal in the minority of players in MWO are setting. And that... if they could stop trying to satisfy the whims of this minority for a bit, some real positive things could get done.

Was he referring to a minority of players in MWO wanting highlander and victor jump jets sacrificed to appease the vertically aiming challenged masses?

Sorry for the smug comment, btw. I would like more functional jump jets but I s'pose I'm in the minority here. :T

It was rough hearing the level of exasperation in his voice.

Seriously? I'm usually asleep when these town hall's are scheduled. Hope everything's ok.

Edited by I Zeratul I, 30 April 2016 - 08:46 AM.

#57 Odinvolk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationUnder The Atlas, Fixing A Hydraulics Leak

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:58 AM

Well, actually, Russ made a good point about the success of MWO. It's technically more financially successful than any previous Mechwarrior title, and has a higher installed player base than any previous game in the series as well.

I don't know what you and Russ are smoking, but MW:2 and Mercenaries was one of the better selling games of all time for Activision, with maybe couple of million boxes sold? For real money, not "free to play" shite. Could Russ show some figures that confirm they actually beat the sales of MW2, MW3, MW4? I seriously doubt it.

#58 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:08 AM

View PostSkyHammyr, on 29 April 2016 - 10:30 PM, said:

Posted Image

No he's not.

#59 Chimera_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 446 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:14 AM

View PostOdinvolk, on 30 April 2016 - 08:58 AM, said:

I don't know what you and Russ are smoking, but MW:2 and Mercenaries was one of the better selling games of all time for Activision, with maybe couple of million boxes sold? For real money, not "free to play" shite. Could Russ show some figures that confirm they actually beat the sales of MW2, MW3, MW4? I seriously doubt it.

Free to play games can often make much more money than standard $60 experiences. (Or whatever the old MW games sold for, I don't remember)

Take a look at all the people who pre-ordered the Clan invasion, and various other packs and you'll see why.

It's very likely they've made many times the sales of any previous MechWarrior game, over the last 4-5 years.

Edited by Chimera11, 30 April 2016 - 09:15 AM.

#60 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:25 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 29 April 2016 - 11:23 PM, said:

Clearly it takes a rocket scientist to fix the MGs. We are not worthy!

I want to know...who at PGI can tell us which weapons have a CoF

Or, I guess restricted to whoever balances. Some are obvious, but others...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users