Finally!

232 replies to this topic

#1 Alaric Hasek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 169 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:20 PM

Russ finally said it: the player base needs to stop thinking that it knows better than PGI how to develop this game. They don't. If you _can_, let me know when you finish your perfect game and I'll come play it. Until then, put up or shut up.

#2 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:29 PM

As far as I know, the player base knows how to edit .XML files pretty well.

That is all it takes!

#3 SkyHammyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 462 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:30 PM

View PostAlaric Hasek, on 29 April 2016 - 10:20 PM, said:

If you _can_, let me know when you finish your perfect game and I'll come play it. Until then, put up or shut up.

Posted Image

#4 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:33 PM

View PostSkyHammyr, on 29 April 2016 - 10:30 PM, said:

If you _can_, let me know when you finish your perfect game and I'll come play it. Until then, put up or shut up.

Posted Image

Actually there is so much wrong in that particular sentence!

Let me give you an example:
Until you can build your own perfect car, you can shut your mouth about that problematic air filter!

Edited by Navid A1, 29 April 2016 - 10:41 PM.

#5 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:37 PM

ok canadian with a visigoth fetish

#6 Cybrid 0x0t2md2w

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 97 posts
  • Locationthe chewy cookie behind you

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:38 PM

You mean how the company at one point put out a cease and desist on mechwarrior living legends so they couldn't put up? Plenty could do better but they don't have the resources of people to come together. Mod developers themselves often can make balancing mods better than default game balance ever was in man y different game types. I dunno what you were sniffing, must be one of pgi's half baked machinegun or flamer patch notes. lol

#7 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:45 PM

Eventually, Russ is going to realize that these townhalls are mostly pointless. The questions the community asks are annoying and, honestly, pointless. I think Phil and Daeron pick probably the worst questions they can, and you can actually hear the exasperation in Russ's voice every time he's asked to answer them.

If the question is about a reasonable feature, Russ can only ever say, "we've got a lot of priorities right now, and yeah, that would be a thing we'd like to add to the game. We'll add it when we get the opportunity to do it."

If the question is about an unreasonable feature, or something a very small group shouts very loud for, he can only say, "yeah well, we looked into that, and we're not sure it's something that actually helps the game in any way. I mean, maybe we'll revist it, but for now let's assume it's not going to be in the works."

Hell, tonight, he even had to point out, after being asked a very ballsy and ill-informed question about the losses of Steam players, that MWO has more players today than it ever has, and that the vast majority of games on Steam lose players from their peak immediately after Steam launch. So asking what he can do to stop hemmoraging Steam players was a completely ******** question to ask.

I'm sure at some point he'll understand that the little information that comes out in these Townhalls could easily be set up in a monthly newsletter, including the obligatory mech announcement, and it'd be a lot less frustrating for all involved.

His tone this time out was so worn down... and the same stupid questions from the same stupid players every single town hall... I honestly can't see this lasting much longer.

#8 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:49 PM

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE MACKIE?

GRR THIS GAME SUCKS I HATE IT SO MUCH SO I PLAY IT EVERY DAY. YAY A NEW MECH ALL IS FORGIVEN FOR 36 HOURS!

#9 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:50 PM

because the community has never been right before......oh wait!

#10 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:23 PM

Clearly it takes a rocket scientist to fix the MGs. We are not worthy!

#11 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:30 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 29 April 2016 - 11:23 PM, said:

Clearly it takes a rocket scientist to fix the MGs. We are not worthy!

Mediocre. If PGI intended for you to use MGs, they'd have given you light infantry to shoot at.

#12 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:30 PM

The flaw in his argument is that PGI has on several occasions released stuff the playerbase told them won't work ... and then belatedly changed it to what the players recommended in the first place.

Edited by Appogee, 29 April 2016 - 11:32 PM.

#13 RedDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:35 PM

Ah I see, we're back now at insulting your customers.

There were points in MWOs history where even monkeys would have done a better job at designing the game (or communicating with the customers, hello Russ!) than PGI.

#14 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:36 PM

View PostScarecrowES, on 29 April 2016 - 11:30 PM, said:

Mediocre. If PGI intended for you to use MGs, they'd have given you light infantry to shoot at.

Except Machine guns worked against mechs in lore, and in previous MW games. It was as powerful as AC2 at close range.

Edited by El Bandito, 29 April 2016 - 11:43 PM.

#15 Lord0fHats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 619 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:37 PM

Honestly, being completely fair to the guy because the community puts way too much on his shoulders, Russ' track record can be hit and miss, and sometimes in very obvious ways. PGI in general can be hit and miss, but that's development. PGI takes a lot of flak for it because after so many years, tangible progress on lots of long standing issues is kind of meh while PGI itself continually indulges some bizarre notions, and takes round about routes to solve problems (like this whole drop clans to 50 tons in sct, leave IS at 55 which ignores entirely the real issue to introduce a host of other issues)

#16 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:38 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 29 April 2016 - 11:36 PM, said:

Except Machine guns works against mechs in lore, and in previous MW games. It's damage rating is the same as AC2.

I think they're taking the "working as intended" mentality too literally... since MGs weren't "intended" to be useful against mechs. Even though, technically, they were useful. Sort of.

#17 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:45 PM

Russ finally said it: the player base needs to stop thinking that it knows better than PGI how to develop this game. They don't. If you _can_, let me know when you finish your perfect game and I'll come play it. Until then, put up or shut up.

LOL, sure.

That's why mwo is having a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge success, and numbers are keeping increasing :D

Go for e-sport, Russ, go..... Posted Image

#18 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:55 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 29 April 2016 - 11:45 PM, said:

LOL, sure.

That's why mwo is having a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge success, and numbers are keeping increasing Posted Image

Go for e-sport, Russ, go..... Posted Image

Well, actually, Russ made a good point about the success of MWO. It's technically more financially successful than any previous Mechwarrior title, and has a higher installed player base than any previous game in the series as well.

For such a niche title, the player base has typically been very high in MWO compared to other similar games.

There was a point Russ made... though he didn't say so directly, it was implied in the tone of how some questions in the townhall were answered... that PGI has wasted a lot of time and effort chasing a target that some of the most vocal in the minority of players in MWO are setting. And that... if they could stop trying to satisfy the whims of this minority for a bit, some real positive things could get done.

It was rough hearing the level of exasperation in his voice.

#19 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:05 AM

Well, it's good we finally got that cleared up. For a long time now, I've felt like Russ really valued the input from the players. lol j/k

Listen, I think Russ is doing a better job than 99% of his players could. Maybe even 99.99%. To have an independent gaming company with 50-60 employees is something tens or hundreds of thousands of people dream of, and are never able to do. Even the smartest people in this community would probably have failed where PGI succeeded. It's just such a brutal business.

But nobody's perfect. And to think that there's nothing they could learn from their players? It's silly.

#20 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:09 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 29 April 2016 - 11:55 PM, said:

Well, actually, Russ made a good point about the success of MWO. It's technically more financially successful than any previous Mechwarrior title, and has a higher installed player base than any previous game in the series as well.

For such a niche title, the player base has typically been very high in MWO compared to other similar games.

There was a point Russ made... though he didn't say so directly, it was implied in the tone of how some questions in the townhall were answered... that PGI has wasted a lot of time and effort chasing a target that some of the most vocal in the minority of players in MWO are setting. And that... if they could stop trying to satisfy the whims of this minority for a bit, some real positive things could get done.

It was rough hearing the level of exasperation in his voice.

Sorry but those are plain lies.
I was there in mw3 and mw4 and even after years and years playerbase was much more larger than now, after 4 years of crawling out of beta.
Now?
When I drop I can recognize around "always the same" 40-50names + some addiction.
I don't know if it's the tier effect, tho....

Think about this: about 4 years after mw3 day one, there were one planet warfare organized by playerbase with hundreds of pilots (mine, Lyran Defence forse... glorious) , plus other two world league going on.

Figure...

edit: oh wait, he talked about financiary success! oh yea, I believe him: mw3 and mw4 were so much cheaper :D
Bought 4 mechs mw4 expansion pack for 5 dollars....

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 30 April 2016 - 12:13 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users