Another Example Of Pgi Not Testing Features...long Tom Needs Tweeking

50 replies to this topic

#1 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:54 PM

Long Tom frequency of every two minutes is too much. I think that there should be a cap or at least decrease the frequency of which they drop. Thoughts?

Edited by DjPush, 30 April 2016 - 07:22 PM.

#2 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:58 PM

You know what reduces the frequency of Long Toms?

Winning at scouting.

#3 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:21 PM

View Postwanderer, on 30 April 2016 - 06:58 PM, said:

Winning at scouting.

Except I have been on both the giving and recieving end. It's not fun when the Long Tom robs me of xxxx damage and xxxx C-bills. I spent most of the match walking. Holding the enemy in place for two minutes and then...

LONG TOM HAS KILLED "PILOT NAME"

In a game mode where the only "progress" is measured in the amount of damage we do and c-bills we earn, going from 1500-2000+ matches to barely breaking 1000 is disheartening.

#4 MadcatX

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:28 PM

I thought the game mode progress was measured in wins, getting loyalty points and going up in rank and obtaining planets. QP is for the c-bill grinding.

#5 Seal Farmer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:44 PM

The Long Tom needs to be completely removed and something else added in its place.

View Postwanderer, on 30 April 2016 - 06:58 PM, said:

Winning at scouting.

You know what reduces the frequency of Long Toms? Not playing any map where the enemy has this ridiculously stupid feature or some people not playing FP at all..

Had a game where we had Long Toms and multiple PUG enemies disconnected during the game after getting hit by it and multiple others stated they would not continue playing Faction Warfare. Long Toms are actually ruining Faction Play.

Its and idiotic feature that enables teams to win 48 - 7, as in our case.

#6 Adamski

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 April 2016 - 07:50 PM

I have won defense missions where the long tom was on our side, and I have won attack missions where the long tom was on the enemy side.

Long Tom needs a major rework.

My personal suggestion, every Radar Sweep marks down every enemy mech and their current position, if on the next Radar Sweep, the enemy hasn't moved some set distance (say 1 km) then the Long Tom sends a shell their way, with a much smaller radius (think 150m instead of the current 300m).

This new system would be mostly useful for killing players that are AFK / DC / Turtling. It would be a decent bonus for the team that earns it, but it wouldn't be a game changer, and would allow invasion players to determine the outcome of the invasion match more than the scout players.

#7 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:02 PM

They'v had a chance to test this for MONTHS

#8 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:10 PM

View PostDjPush, on 30 April 2016 - 06:54 PM, said:

Long Tom frequency of every two minutes is too much. I think that there should be a cap or at least decrease the frequency of which they drop. Thoughts?

I think you need to care about wins and not stats, also go scout...

#9 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:26 PM

View PostImperius, on 30 April 2016 - 08:10 PM, said:

I think you need to care about wins and not stats, also go scout...

I think you need to grow a pair and be a man.

#10 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:46 PM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 30 April 2016 - 08:26 PM, said:

I think you need to grow a pair and be a man.

Posted Image

#11 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:32 AM

It seems way to easy for the team already in the lead to use a couple of extra players to farm the long toms by dropping into attck mode 4v4. A team in the loosing position may never be able to get a long tom regardless of the the nodes farmed. The loosing teams are also the newer players who answer the calls to arms with weaker mechs and lower hours in games, but they have less a chance to get long toms.

So folks in big units know how to stage the game to go against weaker groups while having enough members to farm long toms without worrying about income drop while doing so. I would love to say tin foil hat theory except I too have been guilty of this and it is pretty easy and fun once you graduate from the short bus crowd. As far as I am concerned the CW Q is the folks who no longer want to compete against the really good units in group regs.

#12 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:46 AM

They're not going to remove the Long Tom, and they shouldn't. If the Long Tom wasn't devastating, it would make Scouting missions feel less important. That being said, it does need to be nerfed. Those instant headshots aren't fun for anyone either.

Personally, I think the Long Tom would be a soft re-introduction to knockdowns. So it damages and stunlocks everyone for 3-5 seconds, basically, but doesn't outright murder them.

#13 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:36 AM

Oh.
I misread the title as "long tom needs twerking".

Nevermind.

#14 Livestick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:55 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 01 May 2016 - 05:36 AM, said:

Oh.

Nevermind.

Do want. Would pay for. PGI plz add.

#15 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:24 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 01 May 2016 - 05:36 AM, said:

Oh.

Nevermind.

"Long Tomboy" - Makes all mechs hit twerk in their place for 10 seconds, that would actually be a lot more balanced and still a significant advantage.

#16 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:44 AM

Tweak nothing, It just needs removal. Was not wanted, needed, nor necessary.

#17 Malorish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:04 AM

View PostDjPush, on 30 April 2016 - 06:54 PM, said:

Long Tom would actually work if the gameplay worked better. The Meta is huge Alphastrikes which puts the most critical emphasis on cover. Problem is with a long tom incoming, you have to choose between breaking cover (and likely getting face-melted) or just tanking whatever damage Long Tom is going to do and preserving cover.

Our mechs shouldn't be glass cannons. Damage needs to be cut in half, and long range weapons need a severe range nerf. Then you could actually respond to a mechanic like Long Tom.

#18 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:20 AM

Funny thing, SWOL is kinda now digging dropping on heavily-defended planets with the Long Tom in full effect. There's nothing quite so fun as wrecking half of the defending team with their own Long Toms.

The whole head-shot insta-kill thing needs a nerf, granted. But otherwise, there's little to fear from the Long Tom. It's super easy to manage for even the most mildly-coordinated groups. We chose to drop against a planet last night that had Long Tom running, which other units basically avoid, and developed several very basic strategies for managing strikes with amazing effectiveness on both the attack and defend side of the match. We won all 4 games I played in a row last night dropping on a defended Long Tom planet.

Seriously, it's not that bad.

Edited by ScarecrowES, 01 May 2016 - 10:21 AM.

#19 BattleBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 541 posts
  • LocationWarren

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:37 AM

The fact PGi thinks its fun to drop bombs on its players is saying a lot.

Edited by BattleBunny, 01 May 2016 - 10:48 AM.

#20 Iron Pete Chiwalski

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:10 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 01 May 2016 - 01:46 AM, said:

They're not going to remove the Long Tom, and they shouldn't. If the Long Tom wasn't devastating, it would make Scouting missions feel less important. That being said, it does need to be nerfed. Those instant headshots aren't fun for anyone either.

Yeah the constant head-shoting seems a bit silly. I was head-shot while falling out of the drop ship. It's also kinda hard not to clump up with team mates while in the drop ship. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users