Is There A Reason We Still Post In The Forums?

137 replies to this topic

#21 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:41 AM

I check the forums to get news, since PGI's method of distributing information is rather flimsy.

And I post here to pass the time, shoot the breeze. I stopped looking at it as something constructive a long time ago, as PGI gradually stopped interacting with their players. I post here for the same reason some people post on Harry Potter forums. It's not because they think it will change the books.

#22 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:44 AM

I still post here because I like trying to provide a "common sense" logic to many things, mainly basing my opinions off my own experiences in-game.

Most of it is usually just to see who's talking out of their ***.

If I find an actual, legitimate issue, or something's really out of whack with balance, I'll usually discuss it on Reddit, because the people who often post on Reddit have one giant form of credibility I can trust: I actually see them playing the game regularly.

Most of the people who think they're "forum warriors" over here tend to stick here, because they're surrounded by like-minded folks (also usually don't see in-game) who believe and support their drivel. They obviously would either get downvoted and/or laughed off of Reddit, so they post here instead, where their (usually wrong) opinions can always make the front page.

Obviously there are a few exceptions, with some folks carrying a lot of weight behind their opinions both here and on Reddit, but for the most part it's two entirely separate communities.

Edited by Aresye, 01 May 2016 - 01:44 AM.

#23 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 01 May 2016 - 03:23 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 30 April 2016 - 11:14 PM, said:

I post in the forums because of the immense amount of garbage and uninformed opinions that seem to resonate here. My worst fear is that PGI actually listens to some of it and makes changes to the game for the worst, so I try to provide counter arguments and counter examples to these things. It doesn't really work though, PGI caters to the lowest common denominator time and time again. Latest example is the "new Ghost Heat" power draw type thing.

Agreed. Those egoistic "bring me my META!" heads dont care much if the rest of the game falls as long as they get their feature boosting their ego and meta focus. They say PGI are biased, well if they try to smell their own behinds they will find the same "BS" as PGI sometimes makes us believe they do, its jsut that PGI struggle and should be credited for the effort they of all things make.

Name me ONE! other developer/ publiusher who could take over the franchise and make it shine! Anyone?
I could bet Bethesda maybe, Obsidian? We got Harebrained Schemes but they got their own thing going right now with Battletech.

I cant believe what I am saying but even though I like that companies are self dependent, publishing and releasing their own games, sometimes I think PGI could use some help from a respectful Publisher.

#24 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 01 May 2016 - 03:38 AM

View PostTordin, on 01 May 2016 - 03:23 AM, said:

Name me ONE! other developer/ publiusher who could take over the franchise and make it shine! Anyone?
I could bet Bethesda maybe, Obsidian? We got Harebrained Schemes but they got their own thing going right now with Battletech.

I think for the moment there's no developer better than PGI for developing MWO because the relation they have built with the Battletech crowd (HBS and Catalyst among others). And most importantly, only PGI has Alex Iglesias. There are certainly artists as or maybe even more talented than him, but without him MWO would feel different. Moreover when we consider that he is a BT nerd and had been working as a hired/pro artist for the franchise before working for PGI.

#25 Jack Booted Thug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 549 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 01 May 2016 - 03:39 AM

It's sometimes entertaining and funny. And sad too.

Plus I'm bored at work and this site isn't blocked, yet.

#26 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:12 AM

This ...

View PostJack Booted Thug, on 01 May 2016 - 03:39 AM, said:

... and to troll

#27 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:41 AM

View PostJack Booted Thug, on 01 May 2016 - 03:39 AM, said:

Pretty much the above but also to help each other.

I discovered the forums shortly after starting to play, looking for some build advice. When you are actually exchanging information and ideas regarding builds and maps tactics, etc. that is when I think these forums (and the folks that post here) are at their best. When we are all going nuts over PGI's latest effort to seemingly drive players away, that is when they are at their worst...but also at their most entertaining I confess.

#28 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:26 AM

I just enjoy hanging out with all of you, even those of you that I do nothing but argue with. We're friends at this point so we may as well keep the forums alive and full of argumentative spirit.

#29 Team Chevy86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:34 AM

View Postsycocys, on 01 May 2016 - 06:26 AM, said:

I just enjoy hanging out with all of you, even those of you that I do nothing but argue with. We're friends at this point so we may as well keep the forums alive and full of argumentative spirit.

Oh man don't. I'm getting all choked up. Where's the tissue?

Edited by Team Chevy86, 01 May 2016 - 06:35 AM.

#30 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:27 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 30 April 2016 - 11:08 PM, said:

I mean, the forums is largely abandoned.
Communication and feedback is taking place over at twitter and reddit.
Even there, feedback is only from a select group of 10-20 people trying to shift things to their own meta.
What are we even doing here?
When was the last time a dev posted on the forums? (other than roadmaps)
Why should we have to condense something into 140 characters to get it across?

Why bother?
Why should the next guy try to convince me something is balanced or not?
Why should I even try to convince him otherwise?
Why should we think through ways of improving gameplay and balance even?
What difference it would make?
What is the point?
to what end?

What is the exact duties of a community manager?
What do moderators do other than locking threads?

in b4 lock!

I do it to refute illogical emotional rage posts from immature kids that don't get their way. I enjoy it.

#31 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:35 AM

I was gone for 6 months prior to march 2016.

When I came back my impression is the forums have improved. The intelligence level of the conversations has increased, the honesty level of people being willing to admit facts is better. Maybe its in part due to PSR driving a lot of tier 4 and tier 5 people into hiding where they can't BS their way into pretending they represent "high ELO" any longer.

If MWO is indeed but a reflection of its community, the way that one might say politics is but a reflection of a governed populace, then maybe there is hope for the future? lol

#32 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:39 AM

The forums are more of a support group for people of all stances concerning the game and PGI. I find it cathartic to see that I am not alone in my grievances about all things MWO.

#33 Prokust

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 97 posts
  • Locationin a tiny space

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:57 AM

I need stuff to read while on toilet....

#34 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:30 AM

Because the battles here are easier to find, last longer and are usually more fun than the ones in the game?

#35 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:36 AM

From PGI's standpoint, the primary purpose of the forums is to serve as an echo-chamber to quarantine us into one place. All of our messages get sent here instead of clogging up PGI's email inboxes.

From the Forumwarrior™ standpoint, it makes us feel like we're a part of something. It makes us think that our crappy opinions are important, and it gives us digital shoulders to cry on about how things "Could Have Been™."

Such is the Burden of the Forumwarrior™.

#36 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,384 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:38 AM

Do it for the spice!

Posted Image

#37 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:45 AM

View PostRampage, on 01 May 2016 - 09:30 AM, said:

Because the battles here are easier to find, last longer and are usually more fun than the ones in the game?

Also we actually have role warfare here!

#38 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:01 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 30 April 2016 - 11:08 PM, said:

I mean, the forums is largely abandoned.
Communication and feedback is taking place over at twitter and reddit.
Even there, feedback is only from a select group of 10-20 people trying to shift things to their own meta.
What are we even doing here?
When was the last time a dev posted on the forums? (other than roadmaps)
Why should we have to condense something into 140 characters to get it across?

Why bother?
Why should the next guy try to convince me something is balanced or not?
Why should I even try to convince him otherwise?
Why should we think through ways of improving gameplay and balance even?
What difference it would make?
What is the point?
to what end?

What is the exact duties of a community manager?
What do moderators do other than locking threads?

in b4 lock!

I'll be answering these in order of questions you asked.

1. No, the forums aren't largely abandoned, however, it doesn't receive the user traffic like it should.

2. This is false. I state my proof via the Mechwarrior Academy Sub-Forums:

View PostDave Forsey, on 26 April 2016 - 07:16 AM, said:

Blame Adams, he must not like all that slagging laid down about him in the forums - impugning his rep...

We'll have a little talk.

Update:
Everything still blows up good in the editor. BTW, on my map C3 is way off in the rural cul-de-sac. Trying stand-alone next

Stand-alone works fine as well... Adam's must have put something in to check for your specific userid.. :-)

Kidding aside - I'm not seeing this locally, but it is happening on live. Investigating.

Thanks for bringing this up.

This was just one of the responses. There's more.

3. What you're doing here is expressing your experiences, your findings, within the game that is reasonable or not reasonable. Entitled to your own opinion, but to an extent of not violating the CoC.

4. I state my #2 question as proof of devs being here.

5. You don't, but sometimes there's too much fluff substance in posts, and not enough of the actual reason for posting such a large thread.

6. Look at my #6.

7 and so on: This is the game's forums, where one can converse with others, be it for fun or for correction of errors within the game that one believes there is.

And what do other moderators do other than making sure the forums are clean of anything that violates the CoC?

You know what I do, you know exactly, I don't even know why you even said that at the end, which leads me to this:

Are you frustrated with the latest TH's answers that they gave you? If so, don't blame them, blame us, for not getting along or allowing us to be cooperative or working together, we're always apart; if one thing happens, satisfying one, then that same exact thing unsatisfied another, then the one unsatisfied complains, and so on and so forth, a endless loop of complaining and disbelief.

And here, with a small community.... it can get pretty noticeable and no one wants to get involved in arguing with them, especially those who believe that the game is okay as is, or those that are against what they argue, but they, or rather some, don't want to argue, because they know, that it may be a long time before even the other agrees that what they disagree with is right, and even then...

Vicious Cycle as they say. The Vicious Cycle...

#39 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:09 AM

Oh come on, you guys know that we all post here because we are narcissists and like to hear the sound of our own voi...er...keyboards?

#40 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:19 AM

I join the forum between drops.
Sometimes I found interesting stuff from same well informed and prepared pilots I like to read.
Sometimes I like to feed trolls until they explode.
And then it is hilarious reading "the whining threads" from noobs and such.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users