Monetizing Overdue Ui Functionality - A New Pgi Business Model?

66 replies to this topic

#21 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:09 AM

View PostAfuldan McKronik, on 01 May 2016 - 09:40 AM, said:

Go back and retroactively give one deck per pack.

What about the people that bought a lot of MC and bought mechs with that? Especially since for a while that was how mechs were released.

#22 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:15 AM

I would be more okay with it if they didn't insanely over-charge for mechs. The problem is that PGIs approach to F2P is so ***-backwards I have no faith that it won't be just clown shoes stupid overpriced then when nobody buys it they say 'you guys said you wanted features like this monetized!' like somehow we're being irrational not wanting to pay $30 for a drop deck.

#23 Afuldan McKronik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:17 AM

View Postdario03, on 01 May 2016 - 11:09 AM, said:

What about the people that bought a lot of MC and bought mechs with that? Especially since for a while that was how mechs were released.

I'm not PGI but I am going to put this out now.

No extra decks for packs that were bought previously to this addition. 1000MC per extra drop deck. Because they want more money from us. Makes total sence as a player to get these decks. Makes total sence for PGI to charge for every single one.

#24 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:24 AM

View PostAfuldan McKronik, on 01 May 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

I'm not PGI but I am going to put this out now.

No extra decks for packs that were bought previously to this addition. 1000MC per extra drop deck. Because they want more money from us. Makes total sence as a player to get these decks. Makes total sence for PGI to charge for every single one.

1000MC? For a single dropdeck? Are you crazy man?

#25 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:25 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 01 May 2016 - 11:01 AM, said:

I mean, you hate this but you're okay with them selling mech bays?

I got Mech Bays with the many many Mech Packs I bought.

View PostTheArisen, on 01 May 2016 - 11:01 AM, said:

Perhaps they could offer dropdecks in a similar way to mech bays; if you buy a mech pack you get 1 or more extra dropdecks depending on the pack you buy. It'd be an extra incentive that would be tacked on.
Yes, retrospective to those of us who have been buying Mech Packs since closed beta.

#26 Funkmaster Rick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 184 posts
  • Locationis just an illusion.

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:28 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 01 May 2016 - 07:47 AM, said:

PGI needs to understand the Micro part of Microtransaction.

To be fair, you probably do, too. =/ No offence intended, honestly!

'Microtransaction' is a marketing term. These transactions have never been micro, the term was simply thought up and made popular in the marketplace because it makes spending money more palatable. Microtransactions sound marginally better than transactions. But the whole idea that there's a difference is a silly notion - marketeers don't care about misusing language; that's pretty much their job.

But don't buy additional dropdecks. Wallets speak louder than fingers or voiceboxes in this situation. The market will eventually normalize.

#27 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:44 AM

View PostAppogee, on 01 May 2016 - 11:25 AM, said:

I got Mech Bays with the many many Mech Packs I bought.

Yes, retrospective to those of us who have been buying Mech Packs since closed beta.

I'd agree that giving players that've bought packs before some dropdecks would be the right way to handle this. I also think that you should be able to get at least 1 or 2 more dropdecks from CW rewards.

Conversely, it could be argued that you got your monies worth with the packs you've already purchased. That'd be terrible PR but it's not wrong.

PGI should at the very least give people a reasonable number of dropdecks depending on the number of mech packs they've purchased.

#28 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:07 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 01 May 2016 - 11:44 AM, said:

Conversely, it could be argued that you got your monies worth with the packs you've already purchased.

Except, a lot of us have been buying packs to fund the development of the game. Savable drop decks is just basic game functionality which has been missing and which should have been added long ago.

Asking us to pay more, when we've already been funding them to complete the game, is in that sense 'double dipping'.

Edited by Appogee, 01 May 2016 - 12:07 PM.

#29 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:22 PM

View PostAppogee, on 01 May 2016 - 07:39 AM, said:

So I was glad to hear at the town hall that PGI will finally introduce multiple drop deck functionality. Yay. However, if we want to store more than 2 Drop Decks, we'll need to pay MC to purchase more saved drop decks...?!

Hold up there, PGI.

Truncated quote filled with stuff I completely agree with.

This is well I want to use other language, but I'll stick with disgusting and mercenary. There are things that should be monetised but a basic function that should have been in from day one of FW no.

I won't pay, and it's just antoher black mark that reduces my desire to support P.G.I with hard cash.

Also I think it indicates that P.G.I see the market for mech as flooded, and are getting less return on each one

Edited by Cathy, 01 May 2016 - 12:24 PM.

#30 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 01 May 2016 - 11:24 AM, said:

1000MC? For a single dropdeck? Are you crazy man?

I don't doubt that it will be about this. Probably the same price as 4 mechbays, actually.

#31 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:31 PM

View PostAppogee, on 01 May 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

It cover all the people who didn't buy a lot of Mechs.

So we are left with a situation where the most 'loyal' customers get the worst part of the deal.

That's rarely good for business.

I love how, whenever someone doesn't like something, its always "bad for business"

This is expressly good for business and it's the kind of microtransactions that this game needs.

We WANT more things as microtransactions instead of everything being PGI issue macrotransactions.

I've as many mechs as you do, I'm in the same boat. I'd LIKE more pre saved drop decks, but I don't need more. I don't even NEED two, I am perfectly capable of changing a single deck manually in my minute. Two allows me effectively three, I can manually build one, and switch two either of two pre saved decks as required, in addition to just adjusting.

More is pure convenience, and convenience is the name of the game for microtransactions. If they gave a bunch of free decks away, that would just screw newer players too.

It doesn't really make a lot of sense to just give them to people who bought a lot of mechs. After all, new players buying mechs aren't going to get free additional drop decks.

With that said, as I said it would make sense to give a bonus deck or two with Faction rank (as they give mech bays); and if they did that then you'd get those too.

#32 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:38 PM

View PostAppogee, on 01 May 2016 - 12:07 PM, said:

Except, a lot of us have been buying packs to fund the development of the game. Savable drop decks is just basic game functionality which has been missing and which should have been added long ago.

Asking us to pay more, when we've already been funding them to complete the game, is in that sense 'double dipping'.

No.

PGI isn't selling mech packs as "Buy these to fund development of your pet features"

PGI is selling what's on the tin: mechs, and other listed bonus items. You got what you paid for, what PGI was selling.

Imagining they owe you anything else is entirely your own mistake. They don't owe you, or me, anything other than what they said they were selling on those mech pack pages.

We got our mechs as promised, and any other bonus items as listed. PGI delivered.

This is a F2P game, and this is no different than them selling Mech Bays. No different at all.

This SHOULD have been in from CW day one, and it should have been for sale then too. But they weren't, that's not a reason to just give them away now.

#33 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:39 PM

1 dropdeck per Mech pack would be reasonable and a nice gesture on top. Im talking about real mech pack not single mech pack.

People have been asking for many new microtransaction and modules/xpac over the years. Good ideas all over the place, some more elaborate than others. Yet what we get is more mech bays in the form of dropdeck... and in the foreseeable future, decals... so much inovation and time spent/waiting, for such little simple things.

Modules priced like mech pack. Gimme a fkin hangar with consoles i can manipulate to bring a mech to the launch pad, i want realtime animation, i want my 4 favorite mech on a rack on the wall ready to be taken out. Lets go nuts, i also want another module thats a land base, that base will be in a map, training ground style, of my choosing(id buy forest first), i could go for a walk and shoot dummies and invite my friends(who dont need to own it duh) and either look and drool at our mech from the ground or take them out for some offroad. Maybe all this could be done while we are waiting to drop on a game mode that takes forever to initiate *cough*cw*cough*. Flesh out the game, the world, the lore, lets have important lore planet be visit-able(i said "lets go nuts" try to keep up.) for the unit that owns it with maybe land mark, i dont know lore, someone figure out something.

The problem with good ideas is that they require work and times and someone has to take that decision.

Edited by DAYLEET, 01 May 2016 - 12:44 PM.

#34 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 03:30 PM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 01 May 2016 - 08:09 AM, said:

Sometimes I get the feeling there are people that post here politically who are extremely loud and extremely opinionated and for whatever reason they deliberate try to sabotage the game, the development process and basically do whatever they can to destroy things here.

There is a certain segment of the population - and a growing one, based at least on what I see here in the US - that enjoys simply destroying things. They are not interested in solutions, facts, reasonable discourse, or anything else. They just want to watch things burn, call people names, wreck things, and laugh when everything goes to pieces so they can feel better about their pathetic lives and say "Haha, I told you so."

So, I agree. Such people would gladly destroy a video game just so they can "prove" how "smart" they are when they said it would fail. Such people are nuts, but that doesn't mean they don't get to have power and influence in society.

Edited by oldradagast, 01 May 2016 - 03:30 PM.

#35 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 May 2016 - 03:54 PM

I am probably gonna get a warning and a deleted post for this...

I think it's important to remember that Bass Pro Shops and Nintendo sued PGI/Rabbithole for failing to deliver a game up to gaming industry/nintendo standards. MWO suffers from the same problem.

Not my words, I just found them. Quite interesting. I may have to dig deeper into this... Rabbithole. (Yeah.)

Edit; Piranha, Jarhead, Giomobi, and Rabbit Hole Interactive

Do some research yourselves with these names.

Edited by Afuldan McKronik, 01 May 2016 - 04:21 PM.

#36 occusoj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 452 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:43 PM

I could write so much entertaining stuff about their history but since I assume that this would get deleted anyway sooner or later I just leave a link (http://www.dyadicpar...the-pgi-shuffle). Its a nice read :).

#37 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 May 2016 - 04:47 PM

I just found your site by google-fu. Sent it to my unitmates. Mind-opening. And wallet closing.

#38 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:23 PM

I've always thought mech bays for mc was smart.

Mc to save a drop deck is dumb, people won't need to pay so it will have to be cheap.

Worst part will be when they charge for saved load outs, which is now inevitable.

#39 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:18 PM

I'm not even surprised that PGI would charge money for extremely basic, core UI functionality.

What do you expect when chumps line up to shovel money into PGI's pockets no matter how much of a mediocre, garbage, piss poor minimally viable product they **** out?

#40 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:28 PM

Apogee - You are going to get plenty of drop decks to functionally play the game. Realistically you don't even need more than 1 for invasion/planetary and 1 to pre-select a scouting (or whatever additional modes they ever add). Getting 2 is actually a decent bonus, and having more for sale for the people that want to have an array is them finally making a smart decision in their marketing department.

I've spent plenty on the game here too - will I buy more decks? No, I probably won't even bother to populate a second deck, at least not until they actually add different game modes to make using more than 1 deck a more reasonable option.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users