653 replies to this topic

#601 Stahlherz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:09 AM

View PostJingseng, on 19 September 2016 - 08:45 PM, said:

Someone said that to me recently, "never LRMs in FP".

IIRC, he died shortly thereafter from LRMS on the other side. Certainly others did.

Occasionally people die from LRM.
That still doesn't validate LRM as a weapon system in the same way people choking on chunks of food doesn't make food military grade weaponry.

#602 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:54 AM

View PostKeshav Murali, on 18 September 2016 - 03:57 PM, said:

I know I posted this somewhere else, but

LRM Griffins? Posted Image

lol. Yeah I saw a LRM Griffin 2N last week, advised that LRMs probably not the best use of the mech for FP. The guy wasn't impressed at all, but then he only did 600dmg across 4 mechs, and the 2N was the first wave, every time. Then a LRM Stalker or something.

That said the LRM XL Maulers today are strong. XL, MAULER? Madness.

View PostDee Eight, on 19 September 2016 - 08:00 AM, said:

I run mine with an ERLL & TAG. On river city or crimson tide, night time, find a nice high building to perch from.

But this is a thread about FP in the FP area?

#603 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:22 AM

View PostJingseng, on 19 September 2016 - 08:45 PM, said:

Someone said that to me recently, "never LRMs in FP".

IIRC, he died shortly thereafter from LRMS on the other side. Certainly others did.

I could say something darwinian about this but yes it happens to all of us.

Mechs also die due to:
Flamers
Machine guns
Single small lasers when all other onboard weapons lost/spent

Heck, i once escape a (pre-nerf) LT blast in a locust only to die by bumping into a teammate with my now cherry red CT. Funny stuff.

Not to go all psychological on you all but there are phenomenon ifor where people attach a disproportionate amount of faith in a concept beceause it yielded on of the best experiences in their life. Maybe somebody had their best match ever in *that* mech/drop deck and now they perpetually chase that success again with those mechs... hoping to "recapture the magic"

Others "suffer" from "person who" syndrome ( okay maybe its not an actual syndrome but...) which means the have confidence in an idea because they witnessed/know a "person who did really well with this build".

I will tell you what, look at the merc/loyalist pilot leaderboard and find yourself. I don't want you to judge yourself harshly by comparing your statline to those around you b/c there are far too many factors not considered in that leaderboard, but look at things like you games played and kmdd, kdr... the stats *you* control, are you where you want to be? Now look at the stats of the guys a few pages ahead of you (if you are in the top 10 why are you even reading this?). Is there a notable difference in their kdr/kmdd stat without dropping many more games? Even fewr games than you?

Are any of them in your unit/circle of friends? Perhaps they can give you pointers on how to do better whether with lrms or not. It probably mean more to you than us lecturing on the same concepts over and over...

#604 H I A S

• 4,971 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:38 AM

In my opinion IS should bring as many lrm boats they can fit in their dropdecks. It's still the best weapon in game.

/e: holy ****, im IS right now... Clamz should bring as many lrm boats they can fit in their dropdecks!

Edited by arivio, 20 September 2016 - 04:39 AM.

#605 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:48 AM

The part I always laugh about with LRMs is when the enemy is camping behind terrain, raining LRMs down upon my team... THAT's when someone either over the in-game chat or VOIP goes "doesn't anyone have any LRMs !?!" When the match hasn't started yet, everyone whines if you admitted you brought LRMs... but then they are openly asking in game if anyone brought any when they're tactics have failed because the enemy decided to NOT do what was expected of them.

Edited by Dee Eight, 20 September 2016 - 09:49 AM.

#606 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:51 AM

Without LRMs we wouldn't get stuff like this though:

#607 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:09 PM

View PostCount Zero 74, on 20 September 2016 - 09:51 AM, said:

Without LRMs we wouldn't get stuff like this though:

Don't be thinking that's a good LRM concept. It isn't.

I see two problems with that build.
1. No Armor! Really?
2. Counting on indirect fire only, and for the team to get all their locks for them. (Already discussed as one of the least efficient ways to use LRMs.)

Basically, because some (or even most) people don't use LRMs well, doesn't mean some of us can't and to good effect.

(Typo correction.)

Edited by Tesunie, 20 September 2016 - 11:44 PM.

#608 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 05:55 AM

View PostTesunie, on 20 September 2016 - 10:09 PM, said:

Don't be thinking that's a good LRM concept. It isn't.

I see two problems with that build.
1. No Armor! Really?
2. Counting on indirect fire only, and for the team to get all their locks for them. (Already discussed as one of the least efficient ways to use LRMs.)

You see problems with that build? Really? What makes u think that? You sure?

#609 Ssamout

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationPihalla

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:27 AM

View PostCount Zero 74, on 21 September 2016 - 05:55 AM, said:

You see problems with that build? Really? What makes u think that? You sure?

What?? You didnt copy that build? Wtf Count? Must be one of teh scariest builds i've seen.

Edited by Ssamout, 21 September 2016 - 06:41 AM.

#610 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:33 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 20 September 2016 - 01:54 AM, said:

But this is a thread about FP in the FP area?

Yep, but the same tactic that works for them on crimsom/river buildings works also in emerald taiga or vitric forge with its buildings

#611 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 22 September 2016 - 04:50 PM

The funny thing about this thread... guess who i dropped with yesterday... and guess what he had on his first mech in fp???

He swore he wasn't boating but i was dying to get a screenie of him firing his lurms...

#612 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:16 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 22 September 2016 - 04:50 PM, said:

The funny thing about this thread... guess who i dropped with yesterday... and guess what he had on his first mech in fp???

He swore he wasn't boating but i was dying to get a screenie of him firing his lurms...

I'm taking it that it wasn't me...? Because I don't recall any event or conversation like that...Posted Image

#613 Pat Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:48 PM

Wasn't me, I swearPosted Image

#614 Hades Trooper

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationWillow Tree, NSW

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:40 PM

View PostChaoticUrlond, on 01 May 2016 - 10:29 AM, said:

LRMs are not effective against any target no matter how much damage you say you can do against an enemy. SRMS or Streaks please.

lrms have there place, if you can't see that but it's not my job to point that out to you

View PostRushin Roulette, on 09 May 2016 - 02:20 AM, said:

Yes and no to this topic.

If you play LRMs by hanging far back behind your team and spamming them at random targets using locks from friendlies during a brawl you are a waste of tonnage. There will be obstructions such as buildings, Hills and friendly mechs stopping you dealing damage to the enemy, the teammates are fighting against a larger enemy number because you are not using your own armour for the team effort. In short, you are a waste of tonnage, space and manpower to the team (the same can be said for extreme range snipers imo)

If you play LRMs offensively, pushing together with your team getting your own locks (using NARC, BAP, Tag UAV and shooting blind if you have no other choice), then feel free to bring as many LRMs as you want. They have an effective range of 180m+, that means if you are standing 150 meters behind your team in plain view of everyone, you can see where your LRMs are hitting, stop shooting when the target is behind cover (by changing to a better target) and you can be targeted by the enemy yourself, which in turn means the rest of your team are taking less damage and your whole team survives longer to deal more damage.

amen brother, finally someone else who understands how lrms are used

#615 Hades Trooper

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationWillow Tree, NSW

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:43 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 13 May 2016 - 04:05 AM, said:

Been in Jade Falcon for two days.

10 matches, at least 3-4 PUGs per game, some even with unit tags, are bringing WRK/TBR/EBJ LRM boats and not just one mech drop. 2 mechs in their decks are basically boats.

Its utterly disgraceful and useless because all you hear is "pop a UAV for locks" and this is on maps like Hellbore and Vitric where there is more cover than you can poke a stick at.

And of course, getting walked over as a result because they refuse to push/help or anything. Just sit back and play a LRM boat like you would in QP.

So so annoying, to the point it's almost not worth dropping FP currently without a 12-man to stop the LRM peanuts.

this is why the smart lrms user has different decks for different maps. 1 hot deck, 1 cold deck, 1 lrm friendly map deck

#616 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:43 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 22 September 2016 - 04:50 PM, said:

Posted Image

#617 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:45 AM

View PostChaoticUrlond, on 01 May 2016 - 10:29 AM, said:

LRMs are not effective against any target no matter how much damage you say you can do against an enemy. SRMS or Streaks please.

This guy. He was calling the drop and i about fell outta my chair when i witnessed him firing them.

Now:
-he was not in the back.
-it was *maybe* 2 lrm10s on a tbr, to say *not* his primary weaps.
-he stayed with the group

So i can't really fault his in-game behavior but, to put a salacious tabloid-esque spin on this...

Did he have a change of heart or was he a closeted lurm all the while, lashing out in a desperate effort to draw attention away from his own duplicitous predelictions hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

;)

Edited by MovinTarget, 23 September 2016 - 02:46 AM.

#618 Pat Kell

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 23 September 2016 - 09:36 PM

View PostHades Trooper, on 22 September 2016 - 10:40 PM, said:

lrms have there place, if you can't see that but it's not my job to point that out to you

amen brother, finally someone else who understands how lrms are used

I like winning....keep bringing those LRM's

#619 KrocodockleTheBooBoxLoader-GetIn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:52 PM

Lrms are the worst

#620 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:19 PM

Just HAD to revive the thread didn't you ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users