653 replies to this topic

#1 ChaoticUrlond

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 108 posts
  • LocationMythical Land of Potatoes

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:29 AM

LRMs are not effective against any target no matter how much damage you say you can do against an enemy. SRMS or Streaks please.

#2 2fast2stompy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:38 AM

Streaks are less efficient at killing than LRMs.
Less DPS that spreads over more components.

The only thing streaks are good at is killing lights, they're not any more viable than LRMs.

#3 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:47 AM

Spent too many matches trying to convince players that lrms are not good unless you have a 12 man wave built around focusing indirect damage with taggers, narc'ers, and unselfish play (sharing armor).

Seriously, if the comp 12-mans did it, lrms would be op but it would still not be as effective as what they do now with direct fire.

Bottom line, don't bring weapons as a solo player that require unwitting cooperation of your team...

#4 ChaoticUrlond

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 108 posts
  • LocationMythical Land of Potatoes

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:03 AM

Streaks still do better damage at closer range. Since Clan LRMs only do 1/2 damage under 180 meters and thats if they hit.

#5 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:08 AM

Streaks were big back in early cw b/c with a 240 ton drop deck you were sure to see lights alot on last wave, but the game has evolved especially with IS quirks making lighter heavies and bigger mediums viable.

With few cd quirks applicable to streaks, they just take to long to cooldown.

#6 jaxjace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 987 posts
  • LocationIn orbit around your world

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:50 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 01 May 2016 - 11:08 AM, said:

Streaks were big back in early cw b/c with a 240 ton drop deck you were sure to see lights alot on last wave, but the game has evolved especially with IS quirks making lighter heavies and bigger mediums viable.

With few cd quirks applicable to streaks, they just take to long to cooldown.

6 seconds is not as good as 4 seconds period.

#7 Tronword Furey

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 61 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:50 AM

View PostChaoticUrlond, on 01 May 2016 - 10:29 AM, said:

LRMs are not effective against any target no matter how much damage you say you can do against an enemy. SRMS or Streaks please.

Go back to LRM school. Oh yes, I forgot, Clan Wolf has freebirth instructors guiding pups from the moment they drop out of the canister. You are in no position to win, please turn in your Warrior status card to the nearest Smoke Jaguar you meet (preferably a Tech).

Any rebuttal to this advice should be transferred to a paper hard copy. After your thoughts are populated on the blank form, immediately fold it up and keep it in your pocket, where it can plague no one further.

- Oathmaster Tronword Furey
Star Captain, Solahma Crusaders

#8 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:20 AM

Yes and no to this topic.

If you play LRMs by hanging far back behind your team and spamming them at random targets using locks from friendlies during a brawl you are a waste of tonnage. There will be obstructions such as buildings, Hills and friendly mechs stopping you dealing damage to the enemy, the teammates are fighting against a larger enemy number because you are not using your own armour for the team effort. In short, you are a waste of tonnage, space and manpower to the team (the same can be said for extreme range snipers imo)

If you play LRMs offensively, pushing together with your team getting your own locks (using NARC, BAP, Tag UAV and shooting blind if you have no other choice), then feel free to bring as many LRMs as you want. They have an effective range of 180m+, that means if you are standing 150 meters behind your team in plain view of everyone, you can see where your LRMs are hitting, stop shooting when the target is behind cover (by changing to a better target) and you can be targeted by the enemy yourself, which in turn means the rest of your team are taking less damage and your whole team survives longer to deal more damage.

#9 Hagen von Tronje

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 272 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:41 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 01 May 2016 - 10:47 AM, said:

Bottom line, don't bring weapons as a solo player that require unwitting cooperation of your team...

Lets say it in my words: Never do somebody a favor, even not teammates so that they do not have a better result at the end of the match than you have.
Crazy, that...egomaniacs in a teamplay?

#10 Kitten Krusher

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:43 AM

I tend to agree with the Anti-Lrm camp. Im not a fan on them as a solo drop weapon. If your organized Lrm mech + Light spotter w/narc, then by all means Lerm till your hearts content. In CCCD we have always preferred SRM 4/6 + Artemis as the preferred Missile slot choice, it just seems to be a more effective use of the tonnage/ slot than any LRM system could ever be. that Said Lerm + spotter is something we tend to have fun with at the end of the night after you have absorbed as much stalled push everyone for themselves stupidity that you can handle...

#11 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:59 PM

It devolves to the same issue as always. If you drop with people you like to hang with you are more likely invested in them having a good game (as well as yourself). Too often people drop solo with a "I don't give a f..." attitude. If you want ro improve you game, group up, at the very least get on your faction hub. Even if you can only listen, you can collectively plan you decks and coordinate op prior to dropping.

This is very much a teamplay mode. Not trying to be part of a team is a disservice to your teammates.

#12 KARL RUPRECHT VAN KROENEN

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:32 AM

I hate stupid LRM users sitting and waiting in the background and not doing anything for the team. Sometimes you meet good LRM pilots, moving around with the team, on targets with 300-450m and doing good. But normaly, there are only idiots asking "can you hold locks please?"..... but it is more in this low account...

#13 Osulf

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:36 AM

In my experience LRMs aren't just about damage they also help to supress enemy mechs. If it forces them to hid in cover, it helps cover an advance and hopefully causing less damage to your mech in the advance. LRMs can change enemy behaviour and plans.

Also LRMs are team friendly. If you have a fellow team player being attacked by an enemy some distance away you can try and supress the enemy to help them out and then do the same for another friendly mech shortly after rather than having to run around the map so much to achieve this.

The only time I have been in an invasion PUG were it was 12 kills to 0 after the first wave was in a team of several LRM users and the enemy were hit hard by the LRM.

Do people just see LRMs in terms of damage, and ignore the benefits of support (which hopefully goes alongside damage from the LRMS) e.g. suppression role (discuss)?

#14 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:09 AM

the real issue is not the LRMs, its the boating, having one LRM launcher can be practical like any other weapon.

#15 KARL RUPRECHT VAN KROENEN

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:47 AM

Correct...it is how a pilot is using LRMs....is the pilot fighting with the team, I am glad to be with him,....
...or is the pilot standing in the background,...waiting for locks while teammates are dying in front....then give the coward a gauss projectile into the leg and let him be the bait....

#16 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 13 May 2016 - 04:05 AM

Been in Jade Falcon for two days.

10 matches, at least 3-4 PUGs per game, some even with unit tags, are bringing WRK/TBR/EBJ LRM boats and not just one mech drop. 2 mechs in their decks are basically boats.

Its utterly disgraceful and useless because all you hear is "pop a UAV for locks" and this is on maps like Hellbore and Vitric where there is more cover than you can poke a stick at.

And of course, getting walked over as a result because they refuse to push/help or anything. Just sit back and play a LRM boat like you would in QP.

So so annoying, to the point it's almost not worth dropping FP currently without a 12-man to stop the LRM peanuts.

#17 Wolf Clearwater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 571 posts
  • LocationOn your 6...

Posted 13 May 2016 - 04:44 AM

LRMs in Faction Warfare are great. I use them at 250-400m while up front with my team. They are an excellent tool for making an enemy withdraw into cover, or getting damage in when teammates may be blocking direct fire. That said, I never have just LRMs, & I rarely use them unless I am dropping with a team, and then usually only a single mech has them and I never boat them. Bring your own TAG, Active Probe is a must, lock your own targets, and if you are going to use them - learn to use LRMs without locks....and yes, you can do that.

Streaks are far more useless than LRM. The only thing they threaten is lights, and only if there is no cover available. Streak boating is just as bad as LRM boating in FW. Learn to aim with SRM.

View PostWitchdoctor1, on 10 May 2016 - 03:49 PM, said:

Oftentimes, LRMs bring in good damage, so I would say no. Damage is a poor indicator of match worth. Kills are a better indicator. It is possible to get a ridiculous amount of kills and surprisingly lower damage than what was expected, yanno, what with focused weapons and all that. I have found that the better I get at the game, the higher my kills and KMDD, the less damage. Focusing on specific components to kill a 'Mech quickly is far more valuable than bludgeoning them into submission. Yes, LRMs CAN be used as an effective suppression weapon, but unless you are working with coordinated drop decks with coordinated teams and dedicated persons to spot for them, they usually end up as wasted 'Mechs.

If I get more than 200 damage per kill, I consider that to be inefficient and means I am not on target enough.

#18 demoyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 354 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:43 AM

View PostR31Nismoid, on 13 May 2016 - 04:05 AM, said:

Been in Jade Falcon for two days.

10 matches, at least 3-4 PUGs per game, some even with unit tags, are bringing WRK/TBR/EBJ LRM boats and not just one mech drop. 2 mechs in their decks are basically boats.

Its utterly disgraceful and useless because all you hear is "pop a UAV for locks" and this is on maps like Hellbore and Vitric where there is more cover than you can poke a stick at.

And of course, getting walked over as a result because they refuse to push/help or anything. Just sit back and play a LRM boat like you would in QP.

So so annoying, to the point it's almost not worth dropping FP currently without a 12-man to stop the LRM peanuts.

This is mostly due to the event. Typically Jade Falcon players are above average in skill, but since this horrendous event started every baddie with a mouse has come over to the clan with the highest win rate because they can't win otherwise.

#19 PLCA99

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:47 AM

All of my LRM boats also pack ER Medium Lasers. All but one of them pack 4 of them. I move with the group mostly, depending on the map. I've had plenty of people compliment the way I play my LRM boats so I will continue to play them in FW and QD. While I don't mind hints and tips, what I don't want is someone who probably doesn't know how to truly pilot a build tell me I shouldn't use it. You are more than welcome to your opinions but so am I

#20 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:51 PM

View PostWolf Clearwater, on 13 May 2016 - 04:44 AM, said:

Streaks are far more useless than LRM. The only thing they threaten is lights, and only if there is no cover available. Streak boating is just as bad as LRM boating in FW. Learn to aim with SRM.

If I get more than 200 damage per kill, I consider that to be inefficient and means I am not on target enough.

I currently have a streak crow for invasion. I usually play it when a light wave is brought at us (at varying points in the game). Also depending on the map, streakcrow on a Emerald brawl generally, ends badly.

You get 3 crows working together the lights fall very easily/quickly and from a decent range away as well.

But ye, agree splat is usually better (I usually have to contend with a 300ms+ ping, so sometimes it's hard going). I run splat for Scouting, way more effective as it's always a closer in brawl... In fact there are better choices that a Crow for scouting anyway so I usually don't run one against IS as they get chewed up rather easily.

View Postdemoyn, on 13 May 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

This is mostly due to the event. Typically Jade Falcon players are above average in skill, but since this horrendous event started every baddie with a mouse has come over to the clan with the highest win rate because they can't win otherwise.

I suspected that may be the case.

Jade at the moment is basically...

MS / HHoD - Davion
228 - Marik

And other big units, all defending Steiner from Jade attacks. Hardly see a Steiner player actually defending, let along attacking lol. They can't be attacking each other if they are 3-4 deep on the defend queue :D
And I think Steiner units are just ghost dropping Euro timeslot to take back planets. It's VERY odd going the last 3 days.

I've tried for 2 days to call drops and I'm only getting about 6-8 players actually listening and the others are LRM boating and then always one random Russian who just wants to do his own thing all game (it's really odd, as the TCAF guys are amazing to play with).

It is very very tough going and I'm not the best player, so it's impossible to make up for the 4-5 dead weight players.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users