Your Best Loadout That You Never Thought Would Work

35 replies to this topic

#1 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:36 PM

Have you ever made a loadout that you were convinced wasn't going to work but was actually pretty okay? I'm talking less about troll builds like AC20 Ravens and more about legitimate attempts to make a usable build that didn't look very good but you tried anyway with at least decent results.

My example is a Wolverine-7D(L) 'Pretzal Fingers.'
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f280639df057ba4
Endo-Steel
Double Heatsinks
XL 315
MASC
UAC5 - 2 tons of ammo
SRM6s x 2 - 2 tons of ammo
Medium Laser

I was dubious of the mixed weaponry and the inability to deal a lot of pinpoint damage. A lot of my mechs have 3 weapon groups but something about constantly clicking to double fire the UAC, the different ranges, cooldowns, and trying to use MASC makes this loadout more mentally taxing to use than most. That being said, it usually deals okay damage and has a real knack for kill stealing.

So what's yours?

#2 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:10 PM

My Shadowlord Posted Image

CTF-0XP

Cataphract is not meta, gauss is not meta but for me this build means a lot of fun and some "epic" matches.

I also have:
  • Radar depr. module
  • Advanced Zoom module
  • Gauss Cooldown module (lv 5)
Cheers,

D.

Edited by invernomuto, 01 May 2016 - 11:11 PM.

#3 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:16 PM

Blam can Urbie.
UM-R63
Never expected it to be anything more than a laugh, but sometimes this thing actually pulls above its weight

#4 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:51 AM

HUGINN

Funny to see that a 35 ton IS mech can vomit more LRM's then half the catapults you see out there...

#5 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:36 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 02 May 2016 - 05:51 AM, said:

HUGINN

Funny to see that a 35 ton IS mech can vomit more LRM's then half the catapults you see out there...

Nightshade,

That there is just wrong.Posted Image While we are on the topic though: I built a Warhammer with a std 330, 6SPL, 3 SRM4+A. Near heat neutral and fairly quick. Great for defending against lights. Built as a protest to the Archer with the same hard points, but first time out I found it pretty effective at killing lights.
Now I try to play it by staying in a ball with at least a couple of other fast heavies or sticking with the assaults. This thing fires so fast that I can usually leg damn near anything that comes close. It is hard not to try and face tank with it.
I'm about 50% "wow that build is working great" to "what a waste of a warhammer".

#6 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:44 AM

JM6-A

You didn't say how far back. But this build was what I ran on the A variant, waaaayyyyy back around the period the Phoenix mechs came out.

The last thing anyone expected was a SRM brawling Jagermech running a STD engine.

#7 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:18 PM

We got some solid stuff here! It's always refreshing to see people explore and perform well outside of the meta. You guys just keep doing you.

#8 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:17 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 02 May 2016 - 06:36 AM, said:

Nightshade,

That there is just wrong.Posted Image

Thank you.

I got inspired by the twin AC 20 cicada for this build and some of the aspects of the urbanmech and my shadowhawk (which has a gauss rifle, 4 LRM 5's, and a pair of medium lasers, a lot of weapons for a 55 ton IS mech)

With it I have made or saw...

twin LRM 20 Huginns and twin LRM 15 huginns (more accurate and firepower effective. I often used the twin 20's as a troll mech to quickly obliterate a clan assault mech when it had 25% cooldown + my LRM cooldown module...)
quad LRM 5 locust
Twin LRM 20 cicada X-5
Twin AC 2 locust...

just to name the funny ones that the urbanmech didn't steal their thunder (Sorry urbie spider and ravens)

So many derp builds possible with lights... hmmm... let's see what I can do with jenner IIC.....

JR7-IIC
God have mercy on my soul....
JR7-IIC-A
(can alpha strike barely without over heating in case of emergency 30 damage alpha needed)
JR7-IIC
(LRM 10's more optimised for arms due to 10 max LRM's... the model looks derpy... mroe serious build can replace LRM 15 for SRM 6 and increase armour/ speed)

etc...

#9 Furball72

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:02 AM

I've had fun with my stalking horse Shadow Cat

1 C-AC2 w/6 tons of ammo
3 CERML
ECM
and lots of Double HS
Modules: Radar Dep, Adv Zoom, C-AC2 Range 5, CERML Range 5

Once perched on the top of crystals in Tourmaline Desert, and scored 4 solo kills, totalling 315 tons (165 tons of that single-handedly), before anyone had any idea where I was, 8 minutes 38 seconds into the fight. Then picked off the 3 remaining enemy mechs with the help of an Arctic Cheetah.

#10 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 606 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:18 PM

I would have to admit I thought about this build before I built it, but I didn't expect it to be this good.

Timberwolf whatever with torso omnipods that give you jumpjets, one laser and 2 ballistics and 2 missile options.

Now, equip ERPPC and 2 UAC2s. 4 tons of ammo and a TAC-5 (dat 30% projectile speed bonus).

Now watch as your ERPPC travels incredibly fast (1690 v 1300). Also notice your minimum range is 810m. Now just sit at your minimum range and proceed to out DPS anything outside of ERLLs, ERPPCs, Gauss and LRMs. Any weapon with a optimum range of 405 or less will do 0 damage to you. Even weapons with 500m range will do roughly 30% of their total damage to you. 600m range is maybe half damage. While you are doing maximum damage.

#11 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:32 PM

KFX-PRIME

The law of Never Enough Dakka also applies for light mechs.

It's surprisingly fun to use!

#12 Hastur Azargo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 226 posts
  • LocationGloriana class battleship "Red Tear"

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:51 PM

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this this thread :DDDD

#13 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:32 AM

2.71 KDR leveling one of the worst variants in the game.

#14 GLaDOSauR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 142 posts
  • LocationEating your cake while you're not looking.

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:49 AM

I have a couple:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8bac769ef86d0be
Dragon without ac-5? Heresy! Use with LPL range + AC-10 cooldown modules for best results.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...062e8ce257a9aa8
3M without ballistics? Also heresy! Radar deprevation is a must for ninja'ing

#15 Pinkamena Diane Pie

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 34 posts
  • LocationPonyville, EQ

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:32 AM

View PostGLaDOSauR, on 07 May 2016 - 09:49 AM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...062e8ce257a9aa8
3M without ballistics? Also heresy! Radar deprevation is a must for ninja'ing

I think foregoing ballistic weapons is the norm for 3M cicadas these days because of how much weight they take up. And with something so light, every ton counts.

If anything, having one is more likely to be considered heresy!

#16 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:35 AM

View PostPinkamena Diane Pie, on 07 May 2016 - 10:32 AM, said:

I think foregoing ballistic weapons is the norm for 3M cicadas these days because of how much weight they take up. And with something so light, every ton counts.

If anything, having one is more likely to be considered heresy!

Ballistics are polarizing on that mech. I've never used them myself. I long for the days of the BSKada. I <3ed that build.

#17 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:53 AM

Maybe I should mention the QuickDraw 4h the FRR Stormtroopers were using, but they weren't my idea, so instead, I'll leave you with this.

RFL-3C
I called it "Misery Lite.". At first it was a joke mech...then it started killing fools. You can use ER PPCs as well, but either way a 40point alpha is hard to withstand. It runs pretty hot but it can be devastating in the right scenario.

#18 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 12:19 PM

View PostStarbomber109, on 07 May 2016 - 10:53 AM, said:

Maybe I should mention the QuickDraw 4h the FRR Stormtroopers were using, but they weren't my idea, so instead, I'll leave you with this.

RFL-3C
I called it "Misery Lite.". At first it was a joke mech...then it started killing fools. You can use ER PPCs as well, but either way a 40point alpha is hard to withstand. It runs pretty hot but it can be devastating in the right scenario.

I am amused. Should use an XL255 and why not one more DHS, though.

#19 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 12:30 PM

Not exactly the meta variant. But, as it turns out, pinpoint damage isn't as important when you have 30+ DPS, 70+ alpha, and relatively good heat efficiency.

Obviously, I expected this to wreck stuff if it could actually get all its weapons in range at once. I just didn't expect it to be worth the hassle of doing so compared to the 5xAC/5 build.

Easily my favorite Mauler simply because of how hilarious the damage output is. 4-packs with a larger engine and more ammo is far more practical though.

#20 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:05 PM

This here Victor. I was trying to find some way to make a Victor that was still good and having a really rough time of it. Out of desperation and marginal success with a dual AC/5 loadout I realized that due to rate of fire 3 AC/2s would deliver more DPS than the AC/5s would with the added bonus of their extra damage to internals once armor was gone. I tried it and I have nearly a 2.0 KDR with the thing. It's the only Victor I play. Never thought I'd find a use for AC/2s like that. I thought they were trash weapons until the Victor happened to me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users