Allow Players To Challenge Clan Players To One On One

7 replies to this topic

Poll: Allow IS house Players to challenge Clan players? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Should this be implemented?

1. Yes (14 votes [70.00%])

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

2. No (6 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. undecided (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Other(please explain) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:05 AM

as the title says;
allow players to Challenge known clan playerss to a one on one during any CW/FP/PUG, by having a challenge button next to their names and they can ether chose to accept or reject the challenge.

however only one challenge can be made per match and only those in house units can challenge a clan player to the duel.

The rewards would be set in stone by the developers so it would be streamlined for both sides.

Rewards:
For the Clan player;
The challenger's mech's weight class(no other information) would be shown to only the one they challenge and if the weight is higher than theirs the greater the reward in Cbills XP, and glory for whatever faction they are in.

For the IS Player;
they get so see the weight of the one they challenge and like the Clan side if they beat the clanner in the duel they get the reward of exp, Cbills & glory however this is regardless of how much they ether out or under weight the clan player.

Issues:
other players hounding in on the other unit's fight which they could try and steal kill.

a way to stop that would make it seen as a TK for any other player who interferes with the duel and the duel becomes void and all rewards lost.

To me I think this would add a bit of depth to the game, more so for the clan side as in BT Clanners enjoy a good one on one duel as long as they view them as honorable warriors(in other words Pirates & mercs do not apply).

#2 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 10:10 AM

@Wiz
you know nothing about BT lore do you?
or is it also because you just don't like me and be willing to trash anything I offer?

how about also adding ways to help fix the problems?

anyways back on topic;
Clans will accept one on one fight if challenged even during battle, and for any clanner to get involved in a duel between two warriors would be dishonorable, even free borns within the clans would never do so.

The Clanner has every right to decline the request without loss of honor.

and as to the other side (IS player) who gets involved which is why I said would count as a TK and there is an automated penalty for TKing so that would hopefully would make players think twice about it.

Also I think rewards for accepting the duel and wining the duel would be worth it besides just bragging rights.
Maybe also adding a title you can earn along with a one time MC reward for betting X-amount of Clanners in a one on one fight.

While if a Clanner is lighter than the enemy and beats the IS players in x-duels in a machine lighter than the IS player.

Like lets say a player in a Nova challenges a player in a Atlas that would grant them greater rewards than if they beat the Atlas in a Dire Wolf. War Hawk, ect.

Now on the IS side it would be the same.

Edited by VinJade, 05 May 2016 - 10:52 AM.

#3 Elendil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:03 PM

Well...
The problem is that it's easily gamed (you can challenge your friends and throw the match, or challenge the players who sucked the most in the original match, or challenge an assault with a light to easily kill them most of the time, etc.). Plus Clan mechs are nerfed to the point that they are demonstrably inferior to IS mechs.

You could fix some issues by not giving out real rewards for duels, just honor points or something of that nature. That way people would be less inclined to game the system. You could also make it so only the top 3 players in a match could be challenged.

But in the end, the game just isn't balanced for 1v1 combat, it's balanced for team matches. And any implementation of 1v1 will exponentially multiply balance issues and complaints, and lead to endless nerfing and balancing
That's a Pandora's Box that should never be opened.

But I agree with the idea that honor should be stressed somehow for Clans. The game desperately needs more lore and depth added to it.

If you pared it down a lot you could fit a system similar to that into Solaris (if it ever gets added). It would make sense there, if it was handled properly:
  • You could issue a challenge to someone, and they have 1 week to gather a lance and meet you on Solaris. If they don't, they lose honor (but the challenger doesn't gain any).
  • You could scale honor gains/losses based on the cumulative honor rating of the challenger vs challengee.
  • Maybe if a low-honor player challenges one with high honor, he gains honor simply from issuing the challenge (but loses it all if he doesn't show). And if a high honor player challenges a low honor one, he gains no honor from it even if he wins.
  • And you could make honor matter much more to Clan players than IS, and even less to mercs.
Something more like that.

Edited by Elendil, 05 May 2016 - 12:23 PM.

#4 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:11 AM

@ El
many good points and I like how one could fix those problems!

#5 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:34 PM

You can? Just arrange the match yourself with a private lobby, or call em out in the chat to 1 v 1 you at E8, etc. I doubt any of them are honorable enough to keep their word though.

#6 Captain Artemis

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:28 PM

The whole idea is great, problem is, that current state of the game sets it's difficult to adjust it properly.

Right now MechWarrior: Online is very much simple shooter game, focused only on winning in specific way - no matter how - either in CW or PUG matches.

Properly designed Community Warfare or Faction Warfare as it is called right now, should be focused on this very foundations. Choosing sides should have pros and cons, so while playing as a Clan Warrior, beside being able to use very advanced weaponry, player should have fallow zellbrigen.

So pretty much yes to the idea, but no in current state.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users