108 Alpha Direwolf

8 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan256

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMaylene, AL

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:10 PM

Direwolf build I am considering. Yes it does run a but hot. LRM20 for wearing down the enemy and 2 large lasers for poking at them. Once they close the distance..... decimate with UAC20 and 6 medium lasers.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...beb5cffb8eacfe9

Another possible build. Drop the 2 large lasers for a second LRM20. Runs a bit cooler. Again strategy is pretty similar. Wear down with LRMs at a distance.... and again decimate with UAC20 and 6 medium lasers once they are close range.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b48cbd79fddee25

I'm curious to get other player thoughts and suggestions on the build before I commit the c-bills.
-Thanks!

#2 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:37 PM

100+ No Ghost Heat Alphas: not just for Clanners!

#3 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:59 PM

View PostRyan256, on 02 May 2016 - 02:10 PM, said:

Direwolf build I am considering. Yes it does run a but hot. LRM20 for wearing down the enemy and 2 large lasers for poking at them. Once they close the distance..... decimate with UAC20 and 6 medium lasers.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...beb5cffb8eacfe9

Another possible build. Drop the 2 large lasers for a second LRM20. Runs a bit cooler. Again strategy is pretty similar. Wear down with LRMs at a distance.... and again decimate with UAC20 and 6 medium lasers once they are close range.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b48cbd79fddee25

I'm curious to get other player thoughts and suggestions on the build before I commit the c-bills.
-Thanks!

The uac ammo through....

#4 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:08 AM

Seriously all bad builds:

You can fire one shot - maybe two. hey you can kill that other guy when your aim is true....but what happen when you don't kill it?
You don't have a puny light that can fire his alpha and use the better part of bravery for the next minute to cool down.
When you are engaged in a fight - you need: high damage but also the ability to deal this damage - constantly. If your Assault

Ok maybe you get 3 ALphas of when using CoolShots.

maybe you don't have this ueber Alpha - but you can do it more often:
AS7-S
for the Dire:
don't brawl.... keep distance

#5 Ryan256

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMaylene, AL

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:28 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 03 May 2016 - 03:08 AM, said:

Seriously all bad builds: You can fire one shot - maybe two. hey you can kill that other guy when your aim is true....but what happen when you don't kill it? You don't have a puny light that can fire his alpha and use the better part of bravery for the next minute to cool down. When you are engaged in a fight - you need: high damage but also the ability to deal this damage - constantly. If your Assault Ok maybe you get 3 ALphas of when using CoolShots. maybe you don't have this ueber Alpha - but you can do it more often: AS7-S for the Dire: don't brawl.... keep distance

Well.. even though both of them have massive Alpha potential that wasn't really what I was going for. I'm used to playing a 2xLRM20 Timberwolf and wanted to transition to a similar Direwolf with better brawling ability. What sort of changes would you recommend to the builds?

Edited by Ryan256, 03 May 2016 - 07:29 AM.

#6 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:18 AM

Why do you want to brawl in a Dire - it is a huge target with bad twist and turn rates - a volley of SRM or even LBX hardly will hit anything but the location they are aimed at.

Don't have much XP on the Dire but hell last thing i would do is fighting below 300m.

Hm when you don't want to Daka - try some SSRM just to discourage some lights - two Uac10, and an Array of Lasers that are backing ER Large Lasers or Er PPCs.

#7 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:54 AM

View PostRyan256, on 03 May 2016 - 07:28 AM, said:

Well.. even though both of them have massive Alpha potential that wasn't really what I was going for. I'm used to playing a 2xLRM20 Timberwolf and wanted to transition to a similar Direwolf with better brawling ability. What sort of changes would you recommend to the builds?

What you want to keep in mind though, is that what happens to direwolves is that any time they are spotted, , calls about their position will go out over VoIP or chat, and they will be massively focus fired. If they are behind the team they will be light food. You do not want to run lrms in that. What you want to do is load up on the best direct fire build you can and then be just ever so slightly behind the first line. This way you won't have to wait for lock to fire your alpha.

Well, why isn't it OK to only use uacs and lasers on direct fire and pepper them with lrms? Because you are sacrificing ammo, heat and firepower for your direct fire mode. How quickly do you run out of uac ammo with only 84 shots? Quickly, in guessing.

Dires are very tricky to play. Totally different than a Timber. They are not able to back up or twist effectively. They cannot really brawl. They have low mounts. They need to fight at medium range and they need to outright kill or suppress whatever is in front of them. Unless you are very familiar with assaults I wouldn't recommend it.

If you want to run lrms on a clan assault pretty much the only viable option is a warhawk.

#8 PFC Carsten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:15 AM

^^ Truth. I horribly fail at piloting a DWF.

#9 SoulReaver7500

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:06 PM

I run DWF-A with 3 ER Large lasers and 3 UAC-5 with 300 rounds ammo. Only ran out of ammo 2 times in last year, 1.38 heat. Advanced Zoom, Radar Deprivation, laser range and cooldown. 3 to 6 kills per game and dps 250 to 1200. Average dps 650 per round. Always run OVERRIDE

They are hard to fight, been on this version for 2 years

Can alpha strike 3 times with UAC-5s running singleshot continuously to allow cooldown.

Edited by SoulReaver7500, 05 May 2016 - 07:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users