World Championship Tournament Structure Update!

33 replies to this topic

#21 WVAnonymous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:33 AM

90+ games to clear the first round is the season, not the tournament.

I don't object to having a season of the sport before you have the tournament, but it should be made a little more explicit than calling the whole thing one "tournament".

#22 Skaav

• PipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:05 AM

100 x 99 = 9900, not 5000
100 being the number of teams, 99 being the number of opponents.

If anybody is expecting the at least 50% of casual teams making up that number to stick around for this period of time, you are ******* crazy pants mate Posted Image

I expect a 60%/40% Forfeit to Played Ratio.

All "the best players" and guys with "strategies and builds you have never seen before in MWO" (just a few excerpts from the LFTeam subforum, great fun) will hit hard concrete reality once they face a truly competitive team and maybe rethink their ambitions for this tournament.

Edited by Skaav, 03 May 2016 - 11:16 AM.

#23 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:14 PM

View PostSkaav, on 03 May 2016 - 11:05 AM, said:

100 x 99 = 9900, not 5000
100 being the number of teams, 99 being the number of opponents.

If anybody is expecting the at least 50% of casual teams making up that number to stick around for this period of time, you are ******* crazy pants mate Posted Image

I expect a 60%/40% Forfeit to Played Ratio.

All "the best players" and guys with "strategies and builds you have never seen before in MWO" (just a few excerpts from the LFTeam subforum, great fun) will hit hard concrete reality once they face a truly competitive team and maybe rethink their ambitions for this tournament.

Math... suppose there are n=4 teams A, B, C, D
The matches will be A:B, A:C, A:D, B:C, B:D, C:D, which is 6 matches formula is n(n-1)/2

#24 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:20 PM

View Postironnightbird, on 03 May 2016 - 08:50 AM, said:

If there are 100 NA teams, you're talking about 5000 matches in total! I hope PGI is prepared to referee that many matches.

Round robin also has a problem that teams that lose all chances of winning are either forced to keep playing or will forfeit a lot.

It's doable... if PGI was on 24/7.

#25 Skaav

• PipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:04 PM

View Postironnightbird, on 03 May 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

Math... suppose there are n=4 teams A, B, C, D
The matches will be A:B, A:C, A:D, B:C, B:D, C:D, which is 6 matches formula is n(n-1)/2

lol im a tard xD

Edited by Skaav, 03 May 2016 - 02:11 PM.

#26 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:25 PM

View PostSkaav, on 03 May 2016 - 02:04 PM, said:

lol im a tard xD

Nah most people suck at math. Myself included, I flushed everything out of my head after university if it didn't help me calculate odds for dice or cards.

#27 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:28 PM

now that the tourny rules changed, will there be a 2nd window for team registrations???

#28 demoyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 354 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:58 PM

PGI must think we're stupid or something. Newsflash: you can't trick us into liking conquest by putting it in the tournament. We're never going to like the mode. It's horrible.

#29 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 May 2016 - 01:15 AM

View Postdemoyn, on 03 May 2016 - 10:58 PM, said:

PGI must think we're stupid or something. Newsflash: you can't trick us into liking conquest by putting it in the tournament. We're never going to like the mode. It's horrible.

That is completely OK. It just means you wont have any chance against adaptable teams who know that capping is also part of the game mode and can use this against you to pressure you into attacking at a time where they hold the map advantage.

#30 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 04 May 2016 - 06:07 AM

Just beeing curious and because it will happen, when there is no match (one team is not able to get their 8/12 men together) -

How do you count such a game? Loose for both? Is there proof that the other team was ready?

Ok found it:

• If a Team does not have all 8 Players ready to launch within 2 minutes after the official match start time they will forfeit the match and be disqualified.
So the team without RL wins the pot

Edited by Karl Streiger, 04 May 2016 - 06:17 AM.

#31 Elwood

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:39 AM

• If a Team does not have all 8 Players ready to launch within 2 minutes after the official match start time they will forfeit the match and be disqualified.

Since the first round is Round Robin, this statement probably needs clarification from PGI. Is the team disqualified from the match only, or from the tournament itself?

#32 demoyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 354 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:19 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 04 May 2016 - 01:15 AM, said:

That is completely OK. It just means you wont have any chance against adaptable teams who know that capping is also part of the game mode and can use this against you to pressure you into attacking at a time where they hold the map advantage.

What are you talking about? I've had a 100% win rate on conquest since two patches ago. I win in the voting screen so I don't have to play that crap... ever.

#33 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:50 PM

View Postdemoyn, on 03 May 2016 - 10:58 PM, said:

LOL. It's the favored game mode for competitive play of pretty much all top tier teams and players. You may not like it PUGging but for comp, it's easily the best mode.

#34 QueenBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 710 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:07 AM

Worry less, the amount of teams that are registered have dropped from over 240 to 153 now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users