World Championship Tournament Structure Update!

33 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:16 PM

Tournament Structure:

Regional Qualifiers:
- Round Robin format
- 1 Match of Conquest on Canyon Networks
- Drop Decks must meet the 2/2/2/2 weight class restriction
- Total wins is used for seeding the Regional Finals

Regional Finals:
- Top 5 teams from each region will play in a Best-of-3 series of matches in a Double-Elimination Bracket.
- Map/Mode per match is still TBD
- The winner of the bracket becomes the Regional Champion and is invited to the World Championship Finals.

World Championship Finals:
- The 3 Regional Champions are invited to ‘MechCon 2016 where the World Championships will be held.
- The 3 teams will play off in a Best-of-5 series of matches in a Double-Elimination Bracket.
- Map/Mode per match is still TBD
- The winner of the bracket is crowned the World Championship Winners.

Match Specifics:
- Each team will have to submit their drop deck configuration simultaneously to the Match Referee prior to the match starting.
- Switching ‘Mechs after the drop deck has been submitted is not allowed.
- A match restart due to lag/disconnects may happen if there has been no damage dealt and the clock has not exceeded 5 minutes.
- A match restart can only happen at the request of a team, once per match.

Also check out the Next Steps on the World Championships here: https://mwomercs.com/mwowc2016/next-steps

#2 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:08 PM

Cool to get some more details about the format, I've been pretty curious for a while.

Not sure everyone will be on board with Canyon Network as a competitive map, many consider its spawn points to be a bit unbalanced in terms of access to theta. I don't much care since I'm not a comp player, but I suspect some folks will object (not that it's remotely possible to please everyone no matter what you select for a format :D).

#3 Gannycus

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:30 PM

Mechbay sale please.

#4 Blunt_Object

• PipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 45 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:31 PM

submission of the drop decks, does this include what is on the mechs or just what mech? ie team1 says firestarter, do you have to say variant? and what is on it?
as with a clan mech if you said timberwolf that has multiple variations of what can be run. unlike the IS counterparts.

#5 -Ramrod-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 677 posts
  • LocationSome place

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:37 PM

May the best cheating...er team win!

#6 QueenBlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 710 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:43 PM

View PostRamrod AI, on 02 May 2016 - 04:37 PM, said:

May the best cheating...er team win!

Posted Image

#7 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:48 PM

Nice to see that PGI listened to the advice and made substatial changes to the original format. This will be interesting.

#8 Aylek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 292 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:40 PM

Canyon Network is indeed far from optimal for the reasons already started. But well...

#9 Oliver0708

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 5 posts
  • LocationGermany, Heidelberg Region

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:46 PM

Hi PGI,

maybe you could give some clarity on the following topic:

What does Round Robin Format mean in detail?
How many groups are there? How many games each time will have?
Is everybody playing 1 or 2 times against the other team?

How many teams are there per region?

#10 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:17 AM

Well. Canyon Network is far from my first choice as I had written and given reason for in the voting thread (same reason as in the first reply here basically). But voted is voted I guess.

Time to tweak the dropdecks to fit and start the proper tactical planning for the map/opposing teams and member strengths.

As for the question of what round robin is;

https://en.wikipedia...obin_tournament

Each team basically meets up for a one round game with every other team (If there are 20 teams entered you will be playing 19 games). If it is like football (the version played mainly with the feet and an actual round ball Posted Image ) a win gives the team 3 points, a draw 1 point each and a loss 0 points. The teams with the most points at the end will meet up in the 3 games regional championship to determine who will be flown to Canada to enter the 5 game finals.

Regarding the need to announce your dropdecks... I would also be interested what this exactly means.. Do you announce your Mech cassie type (Firestarter), mech variant (Firestarter A) or do you need to announce the complete loadout together with the Smurphy link to the build for everyone in your lineup for the match?

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 03 May 2016 - 02:28 AM.

#11 Oliver0708

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 5 posts
  • LocationGermany, Heidelberg Region

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:30 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 03 May 2016 - 02:17 AM, said:

As for the question of what round robin is;

https://en.wikipedia...obin_tournament

Each team basically meets up for a one round game with every other team (If there are 20 teams entered you will be playing 19 games).

There are 244 teams - lets assume 40% in Americas, 40% in EMEA and 20% in APJ/Asia.
Let's assume we have 95 teams in Europe: Robin Round would mean I have to play against 94 teams - that's a lot.

@PGI: How do you structure / cluster the participating teams? How many teams are in one "league"?

#12 Rushin Roulette

• 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:55 AM

View PostOliver0708, on 03 May 2016 - 04:30 AM, said:

There are 244 teams - lets assume 40% in Americas, 40% in EMEA and 20% in APJ/Asia.
Let's assume we have 95 teams in Europe: Robin Round would mean I have to play against 94 teams - that's a lot.

@PGI: How do you structure / cluster the participating teams? How many teams are in one "league"?

The regional qualifier rounds will be held over a period of 4 Months (June till September)
https://mwomercs.com...wc2016/overview

With 97 opponents (96 games) in your bracket (US or EU) it would mean you will have to play approximately one match per day with a few days break. The team which can consistently bring 8+ players from the 12 listed and can actually perform half way decently will win. It will be more in line with who can hold out the longest.

Additionally, there is the possibility, that you can hold 4 matches in one day. This means that if you are lucky, you will only have to play on 24 days during this time.

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 03 May 2016 - 04:55 AM.

#13 VikAzgrael

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:08 AM

Led friend to the game, the platoon did not find a game. I am disappointed.

#14 Quincy McAllister

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 118 posts
  • LocationEssen, Germany

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:22 AM

PGI please take the concerns for the number of games seriously. A full round robin without any kind of splut in the number of teams results in a very high number of games per team which is most likely not working for most of the teams.

#15 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:30 AM

Good points on round robin format. I wonder if they mean a specified number of rounds with Swiss pairings, or something like that? Or would it all be random? Having to play each and every team in the region would be a huge undertaking.

#16 Desintegrator

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:32 AM

Only 1 single match of Conquest for the Qualifiers ??

Wow, then nothing should go wrong with this single shot you have to get to the Tournament !

#17 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:09 AM

Lol each match consists of 1 game, but there would have to be multiple matches. I know you're being sarcastic, but yeah, I can't help myself from replying.

#18 Elwood

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:43 AM

View PostDesintegrator, on 03 May 2016 - 07:32 AM, said:

Only 1 single match of Conquest for the Qualifiers ??

Wow, then nothing should go wrong with this single shot you have to get to the Tournament !

Round Robin - Each team plays every other team 1 time. So if the NA Region has 95 teams, then 95 matches will be played by each team. Most wins is the metric used for seeing which teams goes to the next round.

Edited by Elwood, 03 May 2016 - 08:44 AM.

#19 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:50 AM

If there are 100 NA teams, you're talking about 5000 matches in total! I hope PGI is prepared to referee that many matches.

Round robin also has a problem that teams that lose all chances of winning are either forced to keep playing or will forfeit a lot.

#20 Memnon Valerius Thrax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 766 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:31 AM

1 Match for Quali is ******** imo.

If you has a bad day you loose that match.
You cant win a war with only one bullet in your rifle.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users