Need "win Conditions"/endgame For Faction Warfare

7 replies to this topic

#1 northpow

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:39 PM

I am somewhat new to the game, but I haven't heard of an "endgame" for Faction Warfare. I think there needs to be a win condition so that people have something to strive for.

Or to put it another way, there need to be "win conditions".

Here is my proposal, it could be controversial but it would definitely be interesting:
1. If a Clan gains control of Terra and holds it for 1 week, they win and the map is reset.
2. If a Faction loses all of their territory, they are knocked out and their players are free to choose a remaining faction.
3. If any Faction knocks out all other factions, they win and the map is reset.
4. If 1 year passes without #1 or #3 happening, the faction with the greatest territory wins. However, a Clan faction can never win except through #1.

As far as I understand it, this is consistent with the universe lore.

One way or the other, I would like to see a longer-term goal other than just capturing territories for the heck of it.

#2 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:30 PM

That would be great, if Clan mechs could get a rather large buff.

#3 northpow

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:19 AM

View PostRequiemking, on 02 May 2016 - 06:30 PM, said:

That would be great, if Clan mechs could get a rather large buff.

You're right that the scenario is a lot harder for Clans than IS. Another idea is to let Clans choose the specific planets to attack, so they can make a beeline toward Terra.

...but prevent Clans from attacking any planet that can't be reached from their homeland. That would incentivize attacking other planets as well, to keep the route to the front open (like a supply chain).

#4 Elendil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:33 PM

The problem is, in that scenario a House would need to conquer and hold hundreds of planets to win, whereas a Clan only needs a dozen or two.
In one of the earlier iterations of Community Warfare Smoke Jaguar made a beeline to Terra, and made it. In like 2 weeks or something ridiculous (because all of MercStar signed on with them).

I don't know if an "End Game" is what's needed exactly, but it definitely needs objectives. Maybe make certain planets give large bonuses to whichever side holds them, or periodically mark a random border planet, and give a bonus to whoever ends up holding it in a weeks time, or give weekly/monthly objectives to each faction that they can work towards.

Anything to give people an actual reason to capture planets (and not just for the unit that controls it)...
Right now there are hundreds of identical planets scattered around the galaxy, and no reason to give a single **** about any of them.

#5 northpow

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:01 PM

Yeah, I admit that I can't find a good way to balance Clan/IS objectives. But it would still be great to see some endgame, so a faction can actually "win", and base that on planets in some way. I would still like to see Terra play a part, I'm just not sure how to do it.

#6 Elendil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 03:47 PM

Yeah, it would be nice to have an overarching goal.
I just see too many problems for it to really work...

So, say, one faction wins.
The get an award, the people in second and third get something, and then the map resets and they start all over.
Then say, the same faction wins again, because they're the best. And again, and again...

What about the factions that do poorly, why should they even bother trying? They can't win, so it would be a waste of their time to even try. Their best option is to jump ship and join one of the factions that keeps winning, until there are only 1 or two factions with active players in them.
Etc.
Maybe if there were no actual reward for winning it wouldn't be so bad, but then most people wouldn't care about it.

I don't like letting problems get in the way of ideas that would help the game, but in this case I just can't think of a way it wouldn't backfire.

I'm sure there's a way to make it work, I just can't think of anything.

#7 northpow

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 05:32 PM

@Elendil I am not so worried about imbalance. The mercenary incentives might help w/ that, and they could be tweaked to provide incentives for the "best" mercs to join the "worst" factions, the way they already do for participation.

Or to put it another way, there is already the risk of imbalance right now. It would suck to be part of Ghost Bear which never wins, so it's hard to see how an endgame would make things worse.

I don't think there should be "prizes" other than the prize of winning. And some people like joining the underdog :).

#8 Ice6

• PipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:24 AM

There definitely needs to be an endgame. Kind of like WW2 Online, there are victory conditions and when they are met the map is reset. During the reset period they open up all the classes/weapons for a free for all for a few days.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users