129 replies to this topic

#121 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:50 AM

View PostValar13, on 15 May 2016 - 06:35 AM, said:

In our previous association, I was never aware of how...umm, what's the polite term? Bat**** ****ing crazy you are. The things you learn about people.

What's crazy about what he said?

Posted Image

#122 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:22 AM

Oh guys btw..after doing some reading..

When we're using ANTI-beacon, or Destroywindows10 spying, or anything that stops the telemetry stuff in windows-10.

Its against the Terms of Service and part of that huge user consent document..

So most likely, after a while Microsoft will either be able to disable every user's copy of windows-10 or some bs down the road.

I'm so sick of this crap..
Can't really switch back to windows-7 either because even though we can block the updates with this telemetry crap, they'll find a way to get it into windows-7, or leave a doorway open to hacking windows-7 that pretty much forces everyone to upgrade for security anyway..

I'm also seeing a trend with the hardware manufacturers, which is less and less support for Linux or other OS support just due to Hardware exclusivity starting right at the manufacturer.
So while Linux may be working for us now, down the road a ways, Linux won't even be able to keep up.

I don't even know what to think about this stuff anymore.

Edited by Mister D, 22 May 2016 - 05:23 AM.

#123 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:00 AM

View PostMister D, on 12 May 2016 - 02:45 AM, said:

the only thing they haven't done is to force the install process, which they are capable of and may very well do, also without any user consent being required.

It seems M$ have started forcing the install, 3 times in the last week I have had to roll back Windows 10 installs, where people had apparently told it not to install, then the computer restarted within an hour to start the install, in 2 cases it apparently restarted while they were typing something out causing them to loose work (users do not always tell there IT support the full truth but with having heard 3 near identical stories from people at diferant companies I support within a week, when I usually get one rollback a fortnight, means it seems unlikely it was user error in all 3 cases.

#124 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:33 AM

View PostMister D, on 22 May 2016 - 05:22 AM, said:

I don't even know what to think about this stuff anymore.

It doesn't change much.

Lookup: echelon, carnivore and similar programs. State based surveillance has been hardwired into ISP infrastructure for decades. Windows newest user land surveillance doesn't change much. At the moment there's too much big data for any type of effective filtering or screening of information.

I'm surprised there isn't more corporate outcry over user monitoring -- its a backdoor that could be used for corporate espionate, theft of trade secrets and other nefarious ends corporate giants like apple and google could lose out from. If the united states had problems before with china and other countries hacking state servers and stealing vital data on stealth fighters, nuclear weapons and other patented, proprietary, intellectual property & technology.

Things could be far worse under windows 10. The way windows 10 surveillance functions (or dysfunctions) is like releasing an operating system with trojan malware built into it.

#125 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:18 AM

More MS scumbaggery, but this time they backed down in the face of massive worldwide outrage:

http://www.bbc.com/n...nology-36376962

#126 Cereis

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:46 PM

My computer auto updated the other night while I was afk. I had some problems initially such as certain drivers no longer working such as Bluetooth, and some negligible programs. It screwed up my dual screens, but that was an easy fix.

#127 FuDawg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 129 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:32 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 22 May 2016 - 08:00 AM, said:

It seems M$ have started forcing the install, 3 times in the last week I have had to roll back Windows 10 installs, where people had apparently told it not to install, then the computer restarted within an hour to start the install, in 2 cases it apparently restarted while they were typing something out causing them to loose work (users do not always tell there IT support the full truth but with having heard 3 near identical stories from people at diferant companies I support within a week, when I usually get one rollback a fortnight, means it seems unlikely it was user error in all 3 cases.

PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION to you own point... Users almost NEVER tell the whole truth. I'd say it seems insanely likely it was user error or at least omission/inattention in ALL 3 cases. Sorry but it's what I have seen my entire career. You guys are blowing this silly crap way out of proportion. If you wanna use Windows, it's gunna spy some, it's gunna be Windows. It's also gunna be roughly consumer friendly etc.. If you don't like these options there are BAZILLION flavors of XXnXx be they Unix, Linux, or Xenix.

Worst come to worst put on your slave chains and tinfoil hat on and get a ******* Mac but for ****'s sake stop freaking about the spying. It's the price of using a corporate consumer OS. Plenty of other options if you don't want their fancy bells and whistles.

Edited by FuDawg, 25 May 2016 - 08:33 PM.

#128 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:54 AM

You can get around all this bs by using the Windows 7 and 8 Enterprise editions.

#129 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:07 PM

View Postzagibu, on 03 May 2016 - 11:18 PM, said:

Modern linux distributions come fully prepared for the end user. They have a graphical user interface with windows and configuration center etc. like Windows, so that part is unproblematic. One of the main problems is that hardware vendors usually don't provide drivers for Linux, so you have to hope that a third party is writing a driver for your hardware (which usually happens, but not always).
Apart from that, Linux also has a different philosophy when it comes to how the filesystem is structured and how files are organized. It doesn't know "drives", and instead works with a single tree, into which different partitions are "mounted". So you don't really know (but usually also don't care) on which drive or partition your stuff sits, unless you display the mount points. Instead of packing all the files of a program into a single installation directory (which used to be the case on Windows, but isn't quite like this anymore either nowadays), it distributes files based on type to different places. E.g. configuration files are in /etc, log files are in /var/log, and so on.
A third main difference is that you usually don't manually install software. There is a package manager that contains most of the software regular people need, and installing such a software package is as simple as browsing a catalog, selecting the package you need and clicking install. This also has the benefit that there is a central place to update all software on the system. It also means that the above mentioned filesystem difference doesn't really matter that much, because you rarely have to fiddle with files of installed software directly.
There are many more differences, but I feel these are the major ones that will concern regular users.

Now when it comes to gaming, Linux isn't really a great choice in my opinion. The reason for this is that most commercial games rely on Microsoft-exclusive technologies like DirectX, which is simply not available on Linux. There are ways around this, and sometimes, they work well, but sometimes, you can't get a game to run at all.
However, this could change in the future, because Steam is heavily promoting Linux as gaming platform, and most of the modern game engines now allow to make a build for the Linux platform as well. If you go to steampowered.com and select Linux, you can see that some of the modern AAA games now have a Linux version as well.

also get used to reading blocks of text like this. ever man page ever.

#130 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:49 AM

The type of surveillance the NSA and windows 10 have is mainly used for corporate espionage, as far as I can tell.

There are links to examples of the NSA using surveillance to conduct corporate espionage in the article below.

NSA -- Despite Claiming It Doesn't Engage In Economic Espionage -- Engaged In Economic Espionage

from the oh-look-at-that dept

The NSA has long claimed that it does not engage in "economic espionage." NSA and Defense Department officials have repeatedly insisted that while they do lots of other things, economicespionage is not on the list:“The Department of Defense does engage” in computer network exploitation, according to an e-mailed statement from an NSA spokesman, whose agency is part of the Defense Department. “The department does ***not*** engage in economic espionage in any domain, including cyber.” These claims are made in a strange attempt to suggest that the NSA is somehow "better" than those like the Chinese, who absolutely do engage in economic espionage, looking for corporate secrets and the like. Of course, it's not entirely clear why not engaging in economic espionage is such an important moral argument for the NSA -- but, at the very least, the agency claims it has its limits.

Of course, it's already been pretty clear that this was more hot air than reality from the NSA anyway. Soon after the first Snowden leaks came out, it was suggested that there was evidence ofeconomic espionage against Germany. Later revelations showed what appears to be economic espionage in Brazil. And, on top of that, we wondered why the US Trade Rep is listed as a "customer" of NSA intelligence if it wasn't doing economic espionage. Oh, and let's not even mention that former CIA boss and Defense Secretary Robert Gates has admitted to trying to do economic espionage, but stopping because the US wasn't very good at it.

Anyway, with all that it should be obvious that of course the NSA engages in economic espionage -- but as if to highlight this even more strongly, Wikileaks has now released more documentsshowing pretty clear economic espionage in the form of snooping on French finance ministers, looking to get information on "French export contracts, trade and budget talks."

As with the initial revelationthat the NSA was spying on the French government, by itself, I don't find this too concerning. Governments spying on other governments is kind of how it goes. But it is notable that there's more evidence of economic espionage when the NSA is so insistent that it absolutely never engages in such tactics. It seems likely that the "out" the NSA would claim here is that it doesn't do economic espionage in the form of spying on companies to try to get their secrets. But it does other forms of economic espionage by spying on government officials engaged in trade deals and such... That seems like a distinction without much meaning.

https://www.techdirt...espionage.shtml

Example -- let's say microsoft wanted to steal the source code to mechwarrior online.

With windows 10 surveillance it wouldn't be that hard for them to do it.

Sure they could filter traffic with corporate firewalls. But once an OS has been compromised at a certain degree it can become extremely difficult if not impossible to do that effectively.

If anyone should be protesting this, its the private sector.

Edited by I Zeratul I, 27 May 2016 - 09:02 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users