129 replies to this topic

#41 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:06 AM

View PostRevis Volek, on 04 May 2016 - 06:15 AM, said:

Actually a lot of people care, you didnt disable anything. Its cute that you think you can though....

That's just uninformed nonsense. You definitely can. Strengthen your Google-Fu.

#42 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:20 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 04 May 2016 - 07:06 AM, said:

That's just uninformed nonsense. You definitely can. Strengthen your Google-Fu.

I have two systems with WIN 10 on them at work, i have disabled everything they claim is tracking me 5 times now. Every time it updates they are back or they are renamed, etc.

So i defiantly cant for more then a few days to weeks. Care to elaborate on anything or just gonna post hear say and tell me Google knows?

Without a real answer my statement still stands, I cannot disable it.

#43 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:24 AM

Where is it sending the data? Start building a list of IP addresses (there are only so many) and build a rule in your router that blocks traffic to and from that site, of if used for updates, just outgoing traffic. Use a proxy or VPN, encrypt your data. I doubt the only port used is 443/9443.... That'd open the far end up as well. Heck, run a wireshark, ID the packets specifically, and use a virtual SBC to change the outgoing data.

What one man builds, another can tear down.

#44 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:28 AM

View PostCD LoreHammer Lord, on 04 May 2016 - 08:24 AM, said:

Where is it sending the data? Start building a list of IP addresses (there are only so many) and build a rule in your router that blocks traffic to and from that site, of if used for updates, just outgoing traffic. Use a proxy or VPN, encrypt your data. I doubt the only port used is 443/9443.... That'd open the far end up as well. Heck, run a wireshark, ID the packets specifically, and use a virtual SBC to change the outgoing data.

What one man builds, another can tear down.

Oh it will be tore down, its just a matter of time. We Americans jail break and open everything we get here in the states from PSP's and Androids to toasters and xbox's.

Its just a matter of time before someone thwarts it but at the same time what will MS do when you thwart their attempt to mine your data? I can see MS getting butthurt over it and making it more of a headache in the future.

Edited by Revis Volek, 04 May 2016 - 08:28 AM.

#45 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:29 AM

Ugh this again...................... Your privacy died, the moment you plugged in an ethernet cable.

Edited by Oderint dum Metuant, 04 May 2016 - 08:30 AM.

#46 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:32 AM

View PostOderint dum Metuant, on 04 May 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

Ugh this again...................... Your privacy died, the moment you plugged in an ethernet cable.

No, but keep drinking that kool aid and letting them tell you there is nothing you can do about it!

Firewalls alone stop amazing amount of unwanted traffic. Someone from China has been trying to get into my networks for months....to no avail.

Privacy is what you let it be. If you sign your privacy away then thats your own fault.

#47 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:33 AM

View PostRevis Volek, on 04 May 2016 - 08:32 AM, said:

No, but keep drinking that kool aid and letting them tell you there is nothing you can do about it!

Firewalls alone stop amazing amount of unwanted traffic. Someone from China has been trying to get into my networks for months....to no avail.

Privacy is what you let it be. If you sign your privacy away then thats your own fault.

Your using google? facebook? tinder? a mobile phone? your data is being harvested each and every time you connect and there is nothing you can do about it sans...going offline.

Edited by Oderint dum Metuant, 04 May 2016 - 08:33 AM.

#48 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:35 AM

View PostRevis Volek, on 04 May 2016 - 08:28 AM, said:

Its just a matter of time before someone thwarts it but at the same time what will MS do when you thwart their attempt to mine your data? I can see MS getting butthurt over it and making it more of a headache in the future.

And then? in the end MS is losing this battle, because people don't need MS to live, only lazy people do. But MS needs sales to keep alive.

View PostOderint dum Metuant, on 04 May 2016 - 08:33 AM, said:

Your using google? facebook? tinder? a mobile phone? your data is being harvested each and every time you connect and there is nothing you can do about it sans...going offline.

there more about privacy than just a search engine. Also you cna simply hide your privacy, write a little tool thta makes random word searches in google and google has data about you not being real.
And who goes to facebook accepting those ToS is simply stupid or willingly throwing away privacy, but I bet most don't even know whats written in those ToS.

Edited by Lily from animove, 04 May 2016 - 08:37 AM.

#49 Kau

Rookie

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:48 AM

A lot of rolls of tinfoil were used in the making of this thread...

#50 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:17 AM

View PostMister D, on 03 May 2016 - 09:40 PM, said:

Scary Things I Keep Hearing About Windows-10

Here is my advise to the paranoid:
  • use a disconnected computer for information you want to keep 100% secure
  • for all other stuff, use a connected computer
  • use disk-level encryption on all computers
Note that I made no mention of OS or software. That's intentional.

And for those who want to go beyond:
  • no computers
  • no cell phones
  • no home land lines
  • no devices that can transmit signals
  • no credit cards
  • no bank accounts
  • no mail
  • multi-spectrum LED collars to hide you face from CCTV cameras
There's more if you like. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 04 May 2016 - 09:30 AM.

#51 jonfett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 355 posts
  • LocationSitting on a NaCl mountain in a place called Puglandia

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:21 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 04 May 2016 - 05:10 AM, said:

Telemetry is sent using HTTPS protocol if I'm not mistaken, port 443. I don't think it's possible to selectively block it.

Edit: well you could block IP numbers, but there are ways around that and I'm not sure if Microsoft has dedicated servers for collecting telemetry, you might end up blocking other stuff with it.

You could potentially block the offending MS IP/domains on your physical router (if you have one), or via your HOSTS/IP table files.

#52 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:30 AM

I remember windows 98 logging user activity in a file named index.dat. It was possible to open the file in a text editor ctrl + a to select everything in it -> delete, then save the file to erase whatever was in it. Windows XP and all subsequent macrohard operating systems likewise carried their own means of forensically logging user activity similar to the black box of an airplane.

If you bought and own a new car or truck it probably has similar technology that logs how fast you were going. If it has satnav it might keep logs of which locations you travel to referenced by date. Some new cars automatically call 911 and report if you get into an accident or have a collision. Your cellphone does a lot of things that are similar in terms of logging user activity, even if you turn it off.

Ahmish are the only ones who might be escaping scrutiny at this point.

#53 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:36 AM

View PostMystere, on 04 May 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

Here is my advise to the paranoid:
  • use a disconnected computer for information you want to keep 100% secure
  • for all other stuff, use a connected computer
  • use disk-level encryption on all computers
Note that I made no mention of OS or software. That's intentional.

And for those who want to go beyond:
  • no computers
  • no cell phones
  • no home land lines
  • no devices that can transmit signals
  • no credit cards
  • no bank accounts
  • no mail
  • multi-spectrum LED collars to hide you face from CCTV cameras
There's more if you like. Posted Image

You left off one of the very important ones... I know you said there's many more, but this one is an important doozy...

The underground lead vault. :D

Marvin Boggs is an inspiration to us all....

#54 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:39 AM

View PostOderint dum Metuant, on 04 May 2016 - 08:33 AM, said:

I dont use google, Facebook, tinder, tumbler or any of those other BS wastespace social sites and my phone is well its cracked, hacked etc. but thats the least of my worries. I dont do anything on that phone that would incriminate me anyway. Anytime i talk about something i turn the phone off, unplug the battery or just go to another room without those devices.

Its not hard to stay away from it if you are intelligent about it Comcast asks for permission to get into my network all the time and i say NO!

I could care less if they get info on me, its nothing criminal, juicy or even fun. Just boring lol. But i certainly dont make it easy for them on purpose they would have to do some old fashioned detective work i bet.

Edited by Revis Volek, 04 May 2016 - 09:42 AM.

#55 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:42 AM

View PostRevis Volek, on 04 May 2016 - 09:39 AM, said:

Anytime i talk about something i turn the phone off, unplug the battery or just go to another room without those devices.

Wow......someone check this guy into the paranoia department.

Edited by Oderint dum Metuant, 04 May 2016 - 09:42 AM.

#56 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 09:54 AM

View PostRevis Volek, on 04 May 2016 - 09:39 AM, said:

I dont use google

Sorry buddy, I too wear a tinfoil hat, but c'mon.. Who DOESN'T use Google who still comes online to post on forums??? O.o

#57 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:02 AM

Give Win 10 a static IP and, on your router, drop all packets from that IP, then create rules above that allow specific IP/ports through (a white list). Then you can selectively allow activities through that you approve, like NoScript does, which we all use, right?

I'm not even sure if this would work and I suspect Win 10 will shut itself down if it cannot communicate with a central server. I would never use Win 10 as it is.

Anyone who downplays the privacy issue is an enemy of the free world citizenery.

#58 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:07 AM

Sometimes I wonder if these outgoing connections I see are a part of macrohard user activity logging.

Posted Image

But then you'd have to think its sad if a 3rd party software firewall I don't care enough about to configure or set up properly can potentially thrwart macrohards nefarious schemes.

#59 jonfett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 355 posts
  • LocationSitting on a NaCl mountain in a place called Puglandia

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:08 AM

View PostCD LoreHammer Lord, on 04 May 2016 - 09:54 AM, said:

Sorry buddy, I too wear a tinfoil hat, but c'mon.. Who DOESN'T use Google who still comes online to post on forums??? O.o

Ever heard of duckduckgo? https://duckduckgo.com/about

It doesn't store your searches like Google does.

#60 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:10 AM

View PostCD LoreHammer Lord, on 04 May 2016 - 09:54 AM, said:

The two things are not related at all. Also, there are search engines that don't log your queries and client information.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users