Questions About Mastering Mechs.

4 replies to this topic

#1 MobMessenjah

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:08 PM

So, I am trying to master a Shadow Cat for the moment, since completing the recent scouting events.

After doing so, I would like to ask a few questions.

As I understand it, you buy 3 mech chassis and bring them up to elite.

1. After reaching elite, can I sell the mechs? Can I at least sell the extra chassis after I master them without losing that mastery? I like to keep only one.

2. A few people have mentioned keeping 4 of the same chassis around for invasion and just running the exact same build on all of them. Would this be wise, or is it better to run different types of mastered mechs in invasion?

3. From what I understand, after mastering one mech for say.... medium mechs, For all other mediums I purchase in the future, I can skip right to the elite mastery. Would this still work if I only keep the final mastered mech and sell the other chassis?

#2 ConanFodder

• Pip
  • The Medieval
  • The Medieval
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:32 PM

Starting out: One time for each weight class (Light, Medium, Heavy, and Assault) you have to Basic, Elite, and Master a single chassis. After that all 3 mechs in that chassis of that weight class only need to be Basiced to Mastered. I.E. If you Basic, Elite, and Master the Shadow Cat then if you decided to go to the Stormcrow. You'll only need to Basic three of them to Master one of them. But if you decide to go to a Timber Wolf you'll have to start back over again (Because of the different weight class).

Second: No you won't lose your rank for that mech. So if you just Elite out the P model Shadow Cat and sell the mech off you'll still have the Elite rank for it. If for some reason decide you want to buy another P model Shadow Cat later down the road you'll be where you left off last time.

Third: You can also use General XP to rank up a skill if you sold off the mech (it's not in your mech bay). But not if you've never have owned the mech. Also if you have owned the mech and sold it off but still have XP, you can still convert that XP to General XP without having the mech in your inventory.

#3 SmokeGuar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 450 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:18 PM

Eh?

Mastering is per chassis, not weight class.

You need 3 different sub versions of each mech to master.

Generally dont sell mechs or weps.

#4 mikerso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:47 PM

View PostMobMessenjah, on 05 May 2016 - 07:08 PM, said:

Snip

Your have to have 3 different mechs per chassis to get mastered. 3 must be basic, 2 must be elite to get 1 of the two mastered. That is the bare minimum to master one mech in a chassis.

I only sell a mech if it is not a special mech, or I don't use it periodically. If I found the mechs terrible I don't master it or keep it. Never sell equipment though.

Edited by mikerso, 06 May 2016 - 01:52 PM.

#5 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:48 PM

I think I need to elaborate on the answers above...
(EDIT: mikerso beat me by a few seconds, and his answer is pretty good.)

For any given chassis you have to unlock all the Basic efficiencies on 3 variants to move on to the Elite efficiencies.
If you unlock the Basics on 2 variants, that Speed Tweak you really want will be inaccessible.

If it's your first chassis of that weight class, you might also have to unlock the Elite efficiencies on all 3 variants before you can apply XP to the (one) Master efficiency.
Disclaimer: I've had a Mastered mech in each of the weight classes for >2 years, so my memory is fuzzy on that.

Once you've mastered a mech in the Medium class (for example), then your next medium mech will still need 3 variants for you unlock all the Basic efficiencies. (I think this is what SmokeGuar was getting at.) Once you've got the Basics on all of them, the Elite efficiencies are available to apply XP. If one variant is terrible, you can sell it, and not have any penalties to the other 2. You can unlock the Elite and Master efficiencies as fast as you can earn the XP.

If the one you sold gets new quirks and you want to give it another try, everything you unlocked and all your mech XP for it are still on record. As CanonFodder said, you can pick up where you left off.

While you're earning mech XP you're also earning General XP which you can apply to any chassis, or use to unlock modules. (You'll need some!)

Many of us feel pretty strongly about this: Converting mech XP to General XP is a waste of MC.
You really should earn the XP. It seems to me that's not nearly as much of a grind as earning C-Bills, and it's good practice.
(In fact, the last time I even used GXP on a new mech, it was because I had 38,000 GXP laying around not doing anything.)

As for selling equipment: It has to be really useless or be around in LARGE quantities before I sell it.
For example, I sell flamers like they're going out of style.
My Locusts collectively came with 4 160std engines I'd NEVER use again. All sold.
200std? I kept one just in case.
And single heat sinks... I keep a stockpile of about 20, so I've probably sold hundreds over the years.
At one time I bought a lot of ER-PPCs. ...Back in Open Beta when they made 11 units of heat. Once they made 15 units of heat, and their velocity was nerfed, I didn't put them on every mech any more. ...So I've sold a few.
I also accumulated a lot of Medium Lasers over the years, and Machine Guns I didn't want, so I've sold several of them.
IS CASE is useless with an IS XL engine, so I've probably sold a dozen units of it.

As many Shadow Cats came in the package together, I didn't need all of them. So, I sold the stupid machine gun troll variant and freed up a mech bay.
In 3 years I think I've sold 3 other mechs, because I thought they were made of grind and did not entertain me.

Edited by Liquid Leopard, 06 May 2016 - 01:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users