#1 Harper Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 200 posts
  • Locationwashington state

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:11 PM

Hail Warriors of MWO

As most people know Clan Touman are composed of a mix of Trueborn and Freebirth warriors and that the rest of the Clans populations are there to serve those warriors. However the warriors are only a small part of the overall Clan populations. Those civilian populations are very similar to their IS counterparts

(Sarnanet):

Economy:
The Clans utilize a strong centralized economic system dedicated to supporting their military forces, with a heavy focus on efficiency and recycling even in daily life. The merchant caste oversees all aspect of economic activity, from the running of major industries like manufacturing, farming and mining to the monolithic trading houses which control the distribution of goods within each Clan and the transactions of goods between them. Elements of high finance such as futures speculation do exist but again these are dedicated to providing the essential needs of the Clan; the concept of acquiring wealth simply for the sake of it is an alien concept to Clansmen.

However they do use a form of Currency called the Kerensky or KE to do everyday transactions and to keep track of monetary equivalent assets. Each Clansman receives work credit on a monthly basis, the exact amount determined by their grade. While the warrior caste consist of seven grades and for the most part can requisition whatever they need, among the civilian castes there are a total of twenty-five grades, from the lowest Grade One to the highest Grade Twenty-Five. Besides determining how much each person is paid, grades also determine an individual's access to other amenities including housing, transport and health care. For example, higher graded personnel are given more spacious and luxurious housing, though all but the most senior individuals live in apartment blocks. In addition, sub-categories exist within each grade depending on the individual's role which allow for additional amenities: a strenuous job involving hard labor requires a higher caloric intake, and thus that person is granted larger food allowances than someone with a sedentary position, or someone whose work schedule is not easily accommodated by public transportation will be given a personal form of transport, ranging from a simple bicycle to motorized vehicles

High Finance

For transactions between different Clans the merchant caste makes use of a form of currency known as the Kerensky (KE). This "macro-currency" allows financial institutions to operate and for the smooth transfer of goods without having to barter materials. Largely electronic, physical forms of Kerenskies do exist for limited use: small coins two centimeters across represent denominations of 1, 5, 10 and 20 KE, while larger two-by-four centimeter rectangular blocks represent larger values of 100, 1,000, 100,000 and 1,000,000. Both coins and blocks are minted in gold and contain ID chips and chemical compounds to prevent forgery.
Most profits made by the merchant caste come from traditional exchange of materials, however several also put emphasis on futures trade. Clan Diamond Shark was the main proponent of these ventures, as was Clan Nova Cat before becoming outcasts. By buying up the necessary equipment one Clan can underwrite another Clan's mining or exploration effort in exchange for a percent of the profit. If successful profit is made at minimal effort, while failure means the Clan must absorb the expense.
Maintaining and tracking the flow of work credits and Kerenskies is the job of each Clan's "central bank," in truth a series of institutions associated with major mercantile concerns. Besides working with the civilian administration to arrange the transfer and remuneration of funds, they also serve to provide loans, especially by those with the most assets. The borrower must pay a fee determined by the duration of the loan and sum involved, and must put up collateral equal in value to the loan. A default on the loan results in ownership of the collateral passing to the institution, even in the rare cases when the loan is made to another Clan. Refusing to honor the deal is possible but such a thing happens just as infrequently. The Jade Falcon Clan in particular earned a reputation for their banking practices, giving rise to the phrase "as sharp as the talons of a Falcon banker."

My Point is that the Clans do in fact have a money type system like the Inner Sphere and that Clans do " Contract" to each other for the use of Front line, Second line, and Garrison units. They "Pay" those contracted units both in resource repayment for resources used, and in Kerenskies to the Clan central Bank thereby enriching the Clan as a whole and not the contracted military unit. So a Clan " Merc" is nothing more than a Clan unit Contracting out to gain Honor and to enrich its parent Clan. Yes I know MWO does not reflect that in terms of whats paid. I know this will open a storm of replies that will go off subject but I have seen some very good discussions here so I wanted to open this one up.
Thank you for reading
Harper Steel

#2 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 08 May 2016 - 05:11 AM

Except in clan culture nothing is more distasteful then a mercenary....

Plus work credits are only goof for 3 months. Also no warrior would ever be handling a Kerensky.

#3 KrocodockleTheBooBoxLoader-GetIn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 337 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 07:32 AM

I'm hungry

#4 Harper Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 200 posts
  • Locationwashington state

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:21 PM

actually a Diamond Shark Warrior/Merchant would disagree,,
I also know Ghost Bear Warriors have been known to retire from active duty to take up other careers such a merchant.
And I believe CBS "contracted" to Clan Wolf to have a Star of warriors take part in the Invasion, and the Invading Clans Contracted other Clans to Garrison already taken worlds. CSR "contracted" out their warships for both monetary assets and resources, The Idea of making "Profit" for ones Parent Clan is not unknown.

And In MWO there is only one way to have Other Clans, not just the Invading Clans is to be under Contract to one of the 4 invading Clans, There are also several Ebbon Keshik units, and they by nature fight for each of the invading Clans, as they are directly under the IlKhan.
Hopefully the other Clans will be added soon and the Homeworlds opened up. Or At least the next group of Invading Clans CSV, CNC, CDS...

#5 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

Lol so the worst of the clans would disagree. Fair enough. The way YOU described it, monetarily, is not how it is. Yes, the clans do share resources and units. But it's more analogous to WW2 Italy and Germany sending allied units back and forth and sharing resources then any type of mercenary warfare you described. I wrote a fairly detailed description of the clan economy a few weeks ago if you'd lile to read that.

#6 The Boneshaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 481 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:32 PM

Don't forget they are in to ******. Don't believe me read the trilogy "The Way of the Clans".

well cant use that word so replace ******* with in-breading. They like to do it Hill Billy style.

Sick Clanners.

Edited by The Boneshaman, 08 May 2016 - 03:35 PM.

#7 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:48 PM

Well other then female trueborn warriors can't conceive..... so there really are no children even though they do have tonnes of sex. The regular population breeds much like we do(marriages) so the only example is when trueborn warriors have children with freebirth commoners. Which isn't that common.

#8 The Boneshaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 481 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 04:09 PM

View PostNaglinator, on 08 May 2016 - 03:48 PM, said:

Well other then female trueborn warriors can't conceive..... so there really are no children even though they do have tonnes of sex. The regular population breeds much like we do(marriages) so the only example is when trueborn warriors have children with freebirth commoners. Which isn't that common.

If you read " The Way of the Clans" Aidan did conceived a child with one of his sisters in the 2nd or 3rd book. Diana_Pryde

Still no mater how you argue it doing your brother/ sister/ mom/ dad is still sick and wrong.

Edited by The Boneshaman, 08 May 2016 - 04:21 PM.

#9 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 08 May 2016 - 05:02 PM

Her mother was in the science caste. However, yes, she was his sibko, but they are not "sister" and "brother". They simply have similar genetic material. Get outa the 20th century.

#10 The Boneshaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 481 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 07:58 PM

They both have the same parents. Ramond Mattlov and Tania Pryde. So that makes them have the same genetics. It's still the same as if you or me were to do the horizontal limbo with our sisters..... or brother. Get outa the dark age.... and I'm not talking about August 7th 3132

see they are brother and sister. (also should be noted that Peri found away to get passed what ever the clans did to her to keep her from getting pregnant and she did have a kid WITH HER BROTHER Aidan.)
Aidan_Pryde
Marthe_Pryde
Peri

#11 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:04 AM

View PostThe Boneshaman, on 08 May 2016 - 04:09 PM, said:

If you read " The Way of the Clans" Aidan did conceived a child with one of his sisters in the 2nd or 3rd book. Diana_Pryde

Still no mater how you argue it doing your brother/ sister/ mom/ dad is still sick and wrong.

Is it? Clanners are much abotu breeding, and even in breeding animals it's not uncommong to have backcrossing.
You need to step away from your morality point of view. The breeding has the purpose of improving the geneseed. While surely these things ar enot always good, within breeding attemps its not uncommon. Further I am not sure how their parents relations actually were. May be that they just were rather much further away relatives. The sibko thing doesn't mena they all have the same parent's its more a geneseed thingy.

Edited by Lily from animove, 09 May 2016 - 01:19 AM.

#12 Tronword Furey

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 61 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:42 AM

View PostThe Boneshaman, on 08 May 2016 - 04:09 PM, said:

You equate genetic 'closeness' to having sex with a sibling. I am Cherokee and Swedish (literally, a disgustingly beautiful even split of Viking and Pocahontas mode). If I slept with someone that is full blooded Native American, is this viewed as ******?

The Sibko relationships are viewed as alliances, the Warrior mentality is instilled into them at a young age. You should be ready to turn away from a fallen ally and press on in a moments notice, the view of having a brother, sister, mother or father is completely alien to a Trueborn.

Is sleeping with your 'biological' sister/brother disgusting? Of course. But is carrying a living thing in you and squeezing it out of your body after smashing uglies together right after it ferments for nine months, is this disgusting? It is to a Trueborn.

(You IS barbarians and your backwards thinking).

-Oathmaster Tronword

#13 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:49 AM

They are NOT genetically identical because they remove the abnormalities during conception.They are VERY similar to there parents but the added genetic engineering means they are slightly different then the source material. ALSO, any bad recessive genes which would cause abnormalities in your filthy freebirth inbreeding cannot happen with clan children. This seems to be a very sensitive issue for you.. too close to real life? :)

#14 The Boneshaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:03 AM

View PostNaglinator, on 09 May 2016 - 03:49 AM, said:

This seems to be a very sensitive issue for you.. too close to real life? Posted Image

No not at all I just like arguing this part of clan society. I do know they do a bunch of stuff to the genes to remove any and all bad genetic markers and they do something (forget what it was) to keep clan women from getting pregnant. When I read the novel "Way of the Clans" my first thought was eww their basically brother and sister. Because in the first part they said they had the same Gene Father and Gene Mother (don't call them their mother and father they get mad need gene in front).

The book is what turned me away from the clans. I would probably join Wolf or Jaguar but not Jade Chicken... Falcon. Don't know what it is but from day 1 of playing BT I really hated Jade Chicken... Falcon I mean Falcon. I like Nova Cat to.
but don't forget Clanners in the end the Inner Sphere freebirths still take out the clans and basically wipe out Smoke Jaguars.
Well don't wipe them out they kind of join Victor Stiner.

#15 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:23 AM

Hehe I only tease Mr. freebirth. You to to remember that morality, ethic and stigmas are all pretty relative. Current society is very against "that" type of love because of the consequences genetically. The clans have fixed the genetic part and are fine with letting a 3000 year old fear die. Also, if you walked up to your co-worker and asked for sex on the spot you'd probably be visiting HR real soon. typical clan society(mainly warrior) would have no problem with it. Neither system is right or wrong.

#16 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:30 AM

This thread: something about clan lore, in-cestual relations amoung clanners, etc.

So. folks how does the above this affect game play, or is in any way relevant to faction play in this here, fist person shooter/walking tank simulator game? Other than that, fascinating discussion.

#17 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:33 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 09 May 2016 - 05:30 AM, said:

This thread: something about clan lore, in-cestual relations amoung clanners, etc.

So. folks how does the above this affect game play, or is in any way relevant to faction play in this here, fist person shooter/walking tank simulator game? Other than that, fascinating discussion.

Obviously gameplay wise, my tactic is sicken you with our dirty clan ways so when we meet in game you'll run away.

#18 The Boneshaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:58 PM

View PostNaglinator, on 09 May 2016 - 05:23 AM, said:

Hehe I only tease Mr. freebirth. You to to remember that morality, ethic and stigmas are all pretty relative. Current society is very against "that" type of love because of the consequences genetically. The clans have fixed the genetic part and are fine with letting a 3000 year old fear die. Also, if you walked up to your co-worker and asked for sex on the spot you'd probably be visiting HR real soon. typical clan society(mainly warrior) would have no problem with it. Neither system is right or wrong.

true. it would be cool to be able to go up to some one you know and well as Meatloaf puts it "sex use to be a fine hello" Posted Image so we can agree to disagree Posted Image

couple of ladies in my old unit I wouldn't of mine a "fine hello"Posted Image

Edited by The Boneshaman, 09 May 2016 - 03:04 PM.

#19 VoodooLou Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 595 posts
  • LocationMember #2618

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:21 PM

View PostNaglinator, on 08 May 2016 - 02:47 PM, said:

Lol so the worst of the clans would disagree. Fair enough. The way YOU described it, monetarily, is not how it is. Yes, the clans do share resources and units. But it's more analogous to WW2 Italy and Germany sending allied units back and forth and sharing resources then any type of mercenary warfare you described. I wrote a fairly detailed description of the clan economy a few weeks ago if you'd lile to read that.

I didnt see the Bandit/Dark Caste mentioned anywhere. *Pockets a few gewgaws and trinkets and a Katana carelessly left in a Mech.* Thank you for your contributions.

#20 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:21 PM

The topic from what I read is about the Clan version of mercenaries.
Not what 'The BoneShaman' has decided to derail the conversation with.

So in line with what Harper Steel is trying to discuss, it does work within the current functionality we have at the moment in that mercenary units can be used by the clans. Even without the hiring of actual mercenary units, each faction can assist in the defence of another so that does provide some level of co-operation and simulate the contracting to some degree.

It wouldn't be much of a stretch to change the functionality on the clan side of things so that they can't actually hire mercenary units and instead provide incentives to the other clans to fight under a particular banner. Given the lower population numbers, I think it would be quite a good idea to actually base the clans back at their homeworlds and not in the Inner sphere at all.
The process could then be for the clans to go though a bidding process with the winner being the clan under which the invasion is shown. We could then treat the other clan units as 'under contract' for the invasion. Could be kept very simple and have no other functionality to it but would be nice if there was a structure to it. Probably a few options there from another loyalty system, to some sort of currency that can be bartered with for services...... that might be interesting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users