Cyclops Or Night Gyr

17 replies to this topic

#1 MechLord71

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:55 PM

I like grabbing up the $20 base packs for these mech sales just to pick up an interesting mech and some premium time as well. So far I have had good luck with purchasing the Marauder and Warhammer and a couple "meh" purchases with Riflemen and the even worse (for me) Archer.

Anyway, I am looking at the Night Gyr and the Cyclops and I am not necessarily committed to either one. Both seem to have large CTs that are vulnerable. The Night Gyr does offer some 75 ton ballistic builds but the crit space and slow speed have me pretty concerned. The Cyclops weapon hardpoints seem okay but nothing really special and once again, that CT is enormous and the arms look like they will not protect very well.

What are your thoughts? Would you go:

1) Cyclops
2) Night Gyr
3) Skip both

Thanks!!!

Edited by MechLord71, 11 May 2016 - 02:43 PM.

#2 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:35 PM

Personally I'm only getting the Cyclops but that's just because of my love for it from the tabletop. From what I see, I'm wiling to bet that the Cyclops will receive Gauss quirks and it has the highest engine cap of its class. If it truly does end up with the Center Torso magnet that you fear, then the upside is that it'll be XL friendly which means a fast, gauss-toting assault. It has potential but we don't really know right now.

#3 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:15 PM

Between the two, the loadouts might actually be quite similar. From what I can see, the Night Gyr is going to be essentially an assault class mech in a heavy class body. Low top speed that can't be upgraded, yes, but depending on the movement archetype (that and it has jump jets) it could still be a reasonably nimble mech - that is, changing direction won't require you to submit three week's notice. A big deciding factor might be whether you prefer IS or Clan weapons tech, and also whether you're interested enough in the fancy command computer that the Cyclops comes with

#4 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:28 PM

just go by the one that looks the better to you, thats the best thing you can do to avoid buyers remorse. at this time no one knows if they will be good or not so one or the other doesnt really matter.

#5 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:43 PM

I got the Cyclops, but that's because I'm an IS purist and the Cyclops was one of my favorite TT mechs.

#6 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:49 PM

Take the Cyclops chassis, prefer the design. Loadout is another thing but like it. Already loved the mech during Mechcommander 2!

#7 Mercworks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 151 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:14 PM

I'm skipping both. I can't figure out what role each of them would fill that another mech doesn't already do better.

#8 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:58 PM

Kodiak Posted Image

#9 MaoutheGreat

• PipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 66 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:14 PM

It all depends on what you want. The Cyclops is a commander/support mech, hence why it has the sensor buff. The Night Gyr is a monster when it comes to direct fire support and high damage alpha strikes.

#10 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:39 AM

I think they both look cool and I typically buy mechs on looks rather than performance.

#11 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:42 AM

I'm almost sure that the Kodiak and Night Gyr are the best buy of this year based on the potential loadouts (well, the Kodiak is just released and the 3 and SB variants turned out to be pretty good). So, Night Gyr. The Gyr also has a special spot on the Heavy class none could replicate.

#12 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:51 AM

View PostDrRedCoat, on 10 May 2016 - 09:35 PM, said:

Personally I'm only getting the Cyclops but that's just because of my love for it from the tabletop.

Ok you're really weird... the cyclops is just... awful in TT. Give me a battlemaster or victor any day.

Edited by Narcissistic Martyr, 18 May 2016 - 08:51 AM.

#13 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:17 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 18 May 2016 - 08:51 AM, said:

Ok you're really weird... the cyclops is just... awful in TT. Give me a battlemaster or victor any day.

Haha. I never said it was good. Most mechs I like are for aesthetics. And the people I play with aren't good enough (love them to death, though) that I can get away with it.

#14 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:40 AM

Of the 2, the Night Gyr is closer to being a guaranteed hit, as far as performing its role better than any in its class. It will be the best dakka dps of the heavy weight class, and it's not even close. Quad UAC5s, triple UAC10s, and a lot of mixes between missiles, lasers, and ballistics.

The Cyclops' main claim to fame, just at a glance, is having the highest engine cap of its weigh bracket. The CP-10-Q with 7M hardpoints is quite interesting. Doesn't look to have the greatest of hardpoint locations.

If you're only buying one, it's really hard to make a case for the Cyclops.

Edited by LT. HARDCASE, 18 May 2016 - 11:41 AM.

#15 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:00 PM

View PostDrRedCoat, on 18 May 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

Haha. I never said it was good. Most mechs I like are for aesthetics. And the people I play with aren't good enough (love them to death, though) that I can get away with it.

Ah... that's a much... healthier way to play TT than how I play these days lol

#16 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:49 PM

I bought the Cyclops. Just a matter of personal preference, really. I've never been much of a Clan fan but do appreciate their mech designs.

#17 M3 SABLE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:19 PM

Cyclops looks so damn awesome. However, judging from its hardpoint loadout, there is no way I am getting it.

Moreover, what is the point of picking a mech for aesthetics when you spend all the time in the cockpit.

I rather hope its popularity gains traction so I can see it more frequently from the outside.

Edited by M3 SABLE, 23 June 2016 - 12:19 PM.

#18 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:48 PM

With changes to InfoTech on the way (and the violent defiling of the mini map) I wonder if the Cyclops will actually be in higher or lower demand. Guess we'll just have to see how PGI messes everything up (or doesn't)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users