11 replies to this topic

#1 War Kitten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts
  • LocationUnder a Cat

Posted 13 May 2016 - 12:19 AM

Greetings All,

I normally run Hvys or Asslts, but wanted to expand a bit and it was suggested to me to try either a Griffin or Shadow Hawk...is one any better than the other? Someone said Griffins because of the ecm, but that is only in the 2N (I think), although, not being a lrm magnet is always nice.

Just wondering what you people thought. I already have a Trebbie and a Cicada.

Thank you.

War Kitten
"...your *** just hung out a 'vacancy' sign, and my foot is looking for a place to stay!"

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 13 May 2016 - 12:26 AM

I personally do not have the griffin. That said, I love the ballistics mount on the shadowhawk, and even the K variety ca be fun. Took me a bit of getting used to at first, but a vicious and brutal beast it is.

I'll allow others to try and sway you towards the Griffin.

~Leone.

#3 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:08 AM

More variety with ShadowHawks.
ShadowHawk can run Dakka, Griffin cant.
Griffin has an ECM model.
ShadowHawk is a little oversized for its mass, but that is all changing soon.
ShadowHawk also has high shoulder mounted weapons which are great for sniping/hit and fade.
All in all, I slightly prefer the ShadowHawk, but have no issue with Griffins, both are good.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 13 May 2016 - 04:25 AM

I much prefer the Griffin, they have a better torso twist range than the Shadow Hawk and feel more agile in general, that agility lets them spread damage and the body shape is perfect for shielding, especially if you run a standard engine on the 3M or 1N you can sacrifice half the Mech with almost no loss in firepower, Griffins are one of the best Brawler Mechs which is my preferred play style.
as they use SRMs and lasers you can fit a Standard 300 Jumpjets, max armor and still have enough tonnage for a decent weapons loadout, the Griffin is one of very few Mechs I can consistently win a 1v1 brawl against an Atlas with.

Shadow Hawk can carry Ballistics (Griffin cannot) and has the B hard points really high mounted, making them a great sniper.

Both mount Jump jets and have the same engine cap so same potential top speed.

As you may have guessed by now, I consider the GRF to be the better choice, and one of the best Medium Mechs (along with Hunchback, Crab, Shadow Cat and Stormcrow)

#5 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:06 AM

You say that you like Heavies and Assaults usually. Do you like the Jaeger? If so, then Black Jack seems like a great choice as it it just a smaller version of the Jaeger in many ways. It might give you a good introduction to Mediums while keeping many elements you are already familiar with, so the transition is smoother.

If you don't like Jaegers then completely disregard above.

Centurians and Hunchbacks are common recommendations as well.
Mediums I just like and would recommend personally: Crab, Stromcrow, Shadowcat, Cicada (although that might be too close to a Light for you)

#6 War Kitten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts
  • LocationUnder a Cat

Posted 13 May 2016 - 12:58 PM

Thank you all for the replies....to LadyDanams: I have 3 Jagers, a stormcrow, trebbie x2, cicada (C), and the BJ was my first mech...and have a firestarter for CW (but run around with it at times just for fun, JJ turn in midair...wheee!), found I did not like the hunchie...thats just me...saw the two, like the way they looked and am trying to decide. I tend to be a brawler....

Thank you all again!

War Kitten

#7 Selovanth

Rookie

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:39 PM

Try the centurion ;)

#8 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:01 PM

Griffins are great, but except the Sparky, they're all M/E, they can feel really stale. I have them, and enjoy piloting them, but not continuously. :(

Do not own shadowhawks, but they've got great, versatile hardpoints, and the LT offers high ballistic or energy mounts.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:32 AM

Griffin has a great field of view. Shadow hawk has tunnel vision in the literal sense.
Shadow hawk is taller and all launchers have a 10 tube limit. Head launcher has a 5 tube max.
Griffin's body grows with the addition of some launchers. It has a 20 tube limit for shoulder and all else 10 tubes.
Griffin favors one side generally.
Griffin has better jump abilities even for equal jets.
Shadow hawk is akin to a Hunchback in terms of potential, minus the good torso twist. It's arms soak bullets well. It's hitboxes are tight and easier to spread damage on.
Griffin's arms do not soak much except up high.

Kintaro is like putting the merits of the Griffin and Shadow hawk together...and taking out the autocannons, with merits and tiny issues of its own (don't put lrms on the arms).

Oh and removing jumping from the equation, kinda the only downfall really. Kintaro for the win.

#10 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:28 AM

I love the Griffins, they're one of my favorites, but you'll have to play them a bit different than some other mechs; the best current loadouts involve boating SRMs, which means you need to be able to get in close in a battle, sticking with others on your team who are also pushing.
You won't have the range to hide and poke, your best damage will be done being fast enough to close in on the one enemy mech out of position, or joining a larger, heavier ally while they fight another mech to help finish them off quickly.

#11 paws2sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 167 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:19 AM

I have the Griffins that come in the mastery pack: Sparky, 1S (C), and 2N.

I greatly enjoy piloting Sparky. It is one of my favorite mediums.

My 2N is a weird (by my standards), but reasonably effective CW/Scouting Brawler thay works decently in Quick Play.This is the ECM variant.

I hear the Griffin 5M is pretty good (for scouting) too, but I don't own that one.

Shadowhawks have been effective enough when I've encountered them that I kind of want to give them a try. Diverse hard points are a big selling point for me.

Kintaros, mentioned by Koniving, are pretty interesting, especially if missiles and lasers are your thing.

-paws

#12 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:28 AM

One thing to consider is that if in doubt, you can run the SHD-2K like a Griffin (in lore the Steiners even ridiculed that Kuritan variant as a Griffin knockoff). However, no Griffin will give you a shoulder mounted ballistic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users