• 41 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:13 AM

Which setup would u choose two SRM 4 with ARTEMIS or two SRM 6 without ARTEMIS

#2 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:25 AM

Inner Sphere or Clans? There's a huge difference between the two.

SRM6 on clans is pretty worthless without Artemis. Try it on testing grounds; fire at the Atlas, centre mass, and you'll paint damage on every component. It's wide enough to hit both arms. If your mech has spread quirks, it's slightly different, but ASRM6 is the way to go.

SRM4 spread is already fairly tight. Putting on Artemis lets you pick off single components, but that's two tons of ammo that you could have. Again, with Clan launchers that are light, you can get reasonable ammo counts without being far too heavy.

#3 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:24 AM

View PostFox With A Shotgun, on 13 May 2016 - 08:25 AM, said:

Inner Sphere or Clans? There's a huge difference between the two.

SRM6 on clans is pretty worthless without Artemis. Try it on testing grounds; fire at the Atlas, centre mass, and you'll paint damage on every component. It's wide enough to hit both arms. If your mech has spread quirks, it's slightly different, but ASRM6 is the way to go.

SRM4 spread is already fairly tight. Putting on Artemis lets you pick off single components, but that's two tons of ammo that you could have. Again, with Clan launchers that are light, you can get reasonable ammo counts without being far too heavy.

This. Straight SRM6's for clans tend to spread so much you lose a missile or so every time simply because the spread is freaking huge and not every target is atlas sized. As soon as you start having individual missiles miss (or too many hit arms, etc) then you may as well go 4's for faster firing (thus higher overall dps considering a miss or two per volley on 6's).

I even go 4's most of the time without artemis. Ammo is worth more IMHO.

But as Fox said above, just go to the testing grounds, and actually try them, watch how they spread against a target.

#4 GroxGlitch

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 88 posts
  • LocationSome random backwater dirtball in the Inner Sphere

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:30 AM

IMO, for either faction, SRM6's are generally less useful than 4's. 6's have pretty wide spread, moreso for the Clans, and for the IS they're rather heavy. To get them to at least be somewhat focused damage, they need Artemis, which at least costs you ammo for the Clans; for the Inner Sphere it makes an already heavy weapon system even heavier.

SRM4's, on the other hand, are lighter, come with a better spread, and a higher cyclic rate to boot; provided your aim is good, they end up being better focused DPS in practice (though again this is my experience and not objective).

So to directly answer your question, neither. I'd take a third option and take 2 regular 4's and some extra ammo, regardless of faction. Artemis on 4's is a little overkill unless you REALLY need that added accuracy, though I personally have difficulty imagining an exact circumstance where it'd make a massive difference.

#5 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:46 AM

I'll echo the first two replies; depends on whether you're playing Clan or IS. Clan SRM spreads are horrendous. I find the Clan SRM-6 to spread too much to be truly useful unless you're carrying at least three of them with Artemis. If you're not using Artemis, any less than four Clan SRM-6s would be dumb. I won't even use Clan SRM-4s without Artemis, outside of a couple of very fringe builds where tonnage can't be used to better effect elsewhere.

The story changes when looking at the Inner Sphere. All SRMs spread noticeably less. The SRM-4, in particular, is right at the threshold of missile spread where Artemis stops being worth its tradeoff in weight/slots. You can take it if you want, and it will tighten the spread even more, but it honestly won't make much difference from match to match because the spread on regular Inner Sphere SRM-4s is already so small. I'd rather take two or three SRM-6s than the equivalent number of SRM-4+As, when it comes to the Inner Sphere. The fact that Inner Sphere SRMs do more damage than Clan SRMs further exacerbates this divide in preference; Inner Sphere SRMs get increasingly stronger performance compared to Clan SRMs the more missiles you put into the equation.

If you're talking about just ONE SRM-6 or SRM-4+A, then eh, who cares? Carrying a single SRM pack, by itself, is (unfortunately) virtually pointless in MWO. The better option in that case would be to carry an SRM-4 and SRM-2 together.

Edited by Bloodweaver, 13 May 2016 - 11:52 AM.

#6 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:51 AM

I'm speaking from IS perspective, no experience with clan SRM's.

This doesn't quite answer OP's question, but ASRM 4's and SRM 6's are both things I'd rather avoid altogether. I'd either get SRM 4's (very weight efficient, fast reload, and shoot tight clusters even without Artemis), and consider using the saved tonnage on secondary armaments, or if I want to go all-out with SRM's, pick ASRM 6's.

SRM 6 spread is less than ideal, although I sometimes use them. I agree with a poster above that Artemis on SRM 4's is a bit overkill. I guess it might be worth it if you're a GREAT shot, and can put that tight cluster into a single component.

#7 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:40 PM

A4. Always. It's the best SRM launcher and the 6 is the worst. The 4 and A6 are between.

#8 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:59 AM

How can I cut it short...

Dosent matter that much if its clan or is.
Overall

SRM 4 are better for dps.
SRM 6 are better for high alpha dmg.
But thats my opinion.

Using 4 x artemis 6 on my Atlas for example. The pain it gives complied with a pair of medium lasers and AC 20.
Cant say much for clans, long since i've played with srm on them. BUT my one Mad Dog uses 4 x srm6 and two srm4 for some nice results.

Edited by Tordin, 18 June 2016 - 06:00 AM.

#9 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:55 AM

Personally, I always thought a better comparison was SRM4s without Art and SRM6s with. The pin pointed damage of an SRM6 with out Artemis versus that of an SRM4 is very similar. Granted with the SRM6 you get a few missiles trikes that hit a component you didn't aim for but that's at the cost of more heat and a slower cool down.

If you need the extra tonnage and heat efficiency go with SRM4s. If you can spare the weight SRM6s with Artemis. SRM6s without Artemis are for fast, face hugging bombers or Splat SRM builds.

#10 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 03:53 PM

People are right. If you have the hardpoints, spam SRM4s. If you don't, you'll have to free up the weight for ASRM6.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users