New Pilot , Making The Next Step

5 replies to this topic

#1 Stormbringer13

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:38 PM

Hey, I'm Stormbringer13. New pilot to the game, old veteran to the tabletop RPG and novels. Familiar with the story and lore up to about 3055 or so, and can pull out my old Battletech manuals if needed. I have not chosen a faction yet. I slightly prefer Steiner, Kurita and Warden Clans. But will be open to anything. A new perspective can always be fun.

I'ma new pilot, looking for a helpful unit to mold me into a proper pilot, before I develop all sorts of bad habits. So far I've been running as an LRM boat, but have recently started playing around with being a Medium Support to an Assault/Heavy Mech. So that shadow you suddenly developed may be me.

Have not made my first mech purchase yet, still absorbing the plethora of Youtube videos available on the subject. When I do it, I want to do it right, which is why I'm waiting still.

My Time Zone is UTC -5. I'm United States, Eastern Time Zone.

well, hit me up if you think we may be a match. I'll be on the field practicing. By all accounts, I need 1,000s of matches to call myself an OK pilot.

#2 ReconRod

• Pip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:14 PM

hey there..best advice, just play and developing a playing style maybe more than one. see if you like ballistics or lasers. dont be afraid to fight. remember your a pilot learn to move. dont in support be on a big mechs ***...or anyones ***.... room to move, firing lanes...weapons control. do pugs before faction play or get in a unit that will train you. This is me https://youtu.be/g6fvkDWUHME

Edited by ReconRod EBDA, 13 May 2016 - 03:17 PM.

#3 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:35 PM

Welcome to the game! Take your time picking a unit. In MWO you can be a loyalist to one faction or another, or join a merc unit and bounce around. This is more about faction warfare than quick play...

Also, many factions have house teamspeak servers, a good way to find people yo like to play with.

As for habits and stuff... you mentioned lrm boats, I will not say you should never boat them, but it will reflect poorly on a player that hides in the back while his teammates get shredded.

Currently, the game really favors high powered "laser vomit" or laser boats. You can find all kinds of builds on metamechs.com...

If you haven't purchased mechs yet, bear a few things in mind:

To level them to elite proficiency (meaning the only skill left to gain is unlocking a module slot) you will need to level 3 variants of a chassis to basic first.

If you are going put any money into the game, i would recommend starting off with the $20 marauder or warhammer packs. These are fairly good deals and come with 30 days premium time which increases your xp and cbill gains in all facets of the game.

I will stop rambling now... cheers!

#4 Stormbringer13

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:41 PM

I mainly used the Trebuchet for the first 25 fights, just to get my feet wet. I have been experimenting a little more with the trial heavy/assault mechs available, trying to find my comfort zone. and I definitely don't try to crowd, but plans something ...something...enemy....

#5 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:28 PM

Come check out the 22nd Argyle Lancers. We're a casually competitive unit that accepts all skill levels with a willingness to train newbies.
http://mwomercs.com/...rs/page__st__20

We're primarily NA with some OC ppl. Contact Cmetz or Stillradioactive for more information or check out our req. thread.

#6 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:39 AM

View PostMech The Dane, on 28 March 2016 - 07:52 AM, said:

The Great Hall of the FRR

Founded by martino2k6, then hosted for some time by the 1st Raslahague Dragonregimente, and now owned and maintained by the ISENGRIM. The FRR Hub is a TS3 server open to all FRR pilots and associated outfits. As communication is the key to success it is our hope that the FRR Units and unaligned pilots alike will come to the Hub to coordinate in their fight against the Clans and aggressor Houses that may encroach on Republic Space

The Teamspeak3 VoIP client can be downloaded here FOORRR FREEEEEEE, and the Hub can be accessed using the information below.

DNS Address: frrhub.ddns.net:9725
Password: Dragon

or

Server address: 162.234.239.158:9725
Password: Dragon

If you have any questions or problems with the Hub feel free to contact an RKA Major, myself or Scuro.

A few helpful links..

Hop on the FRR Hub and speak to people you see, most will let you drop with them. See who you mesh best with. Sons of Odin (leader is Theaus) are great guys, check them out imo.

Edited by Ace Selin, 02 June 2016 - 12:41 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users