260 replies to this topic

#21 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:50 AM

Quirks there appear mainly focused on movement with minor for lasers and missiles. Still 35% faster acceleration before even unlocking anything on the mech skill tree, that's bound to be very useful (I don't have this Battlemaster myself; it didn't come with the Phoenix pack and was added about a year or two later). That increased turn rate... wish I could get that on a Stalker.

(With 186 of 196 mechbays full, plus 6 more mechs and mechbays coming soon [Phoenix Hawk and Cyclops], it gets hard to roll in cbills faster than I can spend it on changing weapon loadouts on whims).

Edited by Koniving, 19 May 2016 - 06:02 AM.

#22 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:43 AM

View PostKoniving, on 18 May 2016 - 02:45 AM, said:

While I agree learning weapon systems is important, never heard "Don't get mechs yet" before at 20 million.

then you don't read my posts.. :P

seriously though, way back when i learned to play i played about 100 matches in a trial dragon with a gauss and dual LL's with an XL-280.. You actually helped me buy mine, and build it as up to that point i had never even used the mech lab, so thanks for that.

Fast forward almost 3 years later, and i started a clan account, i ran a trial timber for 75+ i forget exactly, but was somewhere around that.

My basic point on all of this, is just play and learn and have fun.. 100-200 matches in trials should be encouraged so people don't waste all those C-bill on a bad purchase. Sure you might like XXXX mech for 10 matches... But a mech you hate for the first 50 can often become your fav, and then once unlocks happen down the road you might just say.... """""Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh""""

the point is, the more time you spend in trials, the better your first purchase, and knowing what you really like will be.

#23 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:14 AM

JC I appreciate the advice on waiting. I waited as long as I could lol. I was like a kid in a candy store looking around the shop. The Battlemaster was one of my worst performers in the trials, but I really liked the way it moved and felt. Now that I own 2 of them, I like them even more. One match I got 2 kills and only 85 damage and tore the hillside up with my LBX because I have yet to get the height right when coming over the hills (ROOKIES SHEESH) but we won.
After changing the POV it has been even better for me.

I have followed all of the help given about spacing and watching out for others. So far, no more rage against me. Until I pull another bone-noggin move.

Edit: Alright, I confess. I got the Battlemaster so I could tool around and pretend I was Hanse Davion defending the NAIS from invaders disguising themselves as Liao Mechwarriors.

Edited by Jack McKnight, 19 May 2016 - 09:43 AM.

#24 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:38 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 May 2016 - 05:50 AM, said:

(With 186 of 196 mechbays full, plus 6 more mechs and mechbays coming soon [Phoenix Hawk and Cyclops], it gets hard to roll in cbills faster than I can spend it on changing weapon loadouts on whims).

DANG that is a bunch of mechs. Do you have that large a collection of miniatures for playing the boardgame? I am glad I took your advice on the Battlemaster. I bought the second to work toward eliting those mechs.

Thank you Koniving and also CONGRATULATIONS! I read the great news in your profile when I sent that link your way. :D

Edit: (In hindsight, I hope I did not cross a line by referring to your personal matters. If I did, I sincerely apologize.)

Edited by Jack McKnight, 19 May 2016 - 01:43 PM.

#25 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:51 PM

Jack McKnight said:

Edit: (In hindsight, I hope I did not cross a line by referring to your personal matters. If I did, I sincerely apologize.)

You're okay, it was public knowledge. Used to be on the Sig.
I don't own a single miniature. Sadly. Hope to change that sometime. Was maybe 11 or 12 when I tried to buy one without my parents permission but couldn't figure out how. Got in so much trouble.

I play BT digitally and have been reading the refs and novels since late 2012.

I'm glad the battle master is working out for you.

#26 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:20 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 May 2016 - 04:51 PM, said:

You're okay, it was public knowledge. Used to be on the Sig.
I don't own a single miniature. Sadly. Hope to change that sometime. Was maybe 11 or 12 when I tried to buy one without my parents permission but couldn't figure out how. Got in so much trouble.

I play BT digitally and have been reading the refs and novels since late 2012.

I'm glad the battle master is working out for you.

If you ever want to get miniatures of the Stinger/Wasp/Phoenix Hawk (and LAM versions), Warhammer, Riflemen, Archer or Long Bow, I would recommend looking at Robotech RPG Tactics, better looking miniatures of those classic mechs that are the right size.

#27 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:44 PM

Thank you, am aware of them. What i would really like are flexible ones (not necessarily small).

#28 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:45 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 19 May 2016 - 06:20 PM, said:

If you ever want to get miniatures of the Stinger/Wasp/Phoenix Hawk (and LAM versions), Warhammer, Riflemen, Archer or Long Bow, I would recommend looking at Robotech RPG Tactics, better looking miniatures of those classic mechs that are the right size.

Thank you and NOT thank you at the same time.
I did not know that existed!
And now my wallet is going on anothet diet...

#29 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:58 AM

Speaking of adventures, I ran around various training grounds for quite a while with throttle decay turned off. I thought I had it down pat...

I decided the take the show on the road and landed in a match in Frozen City. My plan was to follow the herd and find cover behind the buildings. My dad once taught me the saying, "No plan survives contact with the enemy", as he whupped me playing Risk. He was right, we started taking fire and I pulled up behind a building to avoid the fire I was taking from two mechs. Correction...I planned to stop behind the building but under fire I suddenly forgot how to stop. I ran past the building into the fire of my Kodiak teammate (all those MLs hurt. My fault! cost him c-bills). Panicked by then, getting bounced around like a ping-pong ball and feeling like a complete jacktard, I kept moving and weaving to get behind our lines and re-check throttle decay.

Edited by Jack McKnight, 20 May 2016 - 11:00 AM.

#30 plodder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 995 posts
  • Locationbetwixt the seen and heard, underneath the upperhanded, above the underhanded. Sunlit with a cloudy background.

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:15 AM

My 1st go ever on MWO I reversed out of bounds a few seconds into game on the old Forest Colony on the water sidePosted Image
I hit the chat button apparently and had no control.Posted Image
Welcome to MWO!!! lolPosted Image

Edited by plodder, 20 May 2016 - 11:15 AM.

#31 IQcreditscore

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:30 AM

Once during my first week or so playing I was in my spider running around like a moron and shooting stuff in the rear and sides while going full speed. I found the other teams lrm spamming catapult and proceeded to remove his arm. Some light came by and I dueled for a second before deciding he was far more likely to have a friend happen by in the near future before I killed him so I bugged off. Came back a minute later and mistook a stalker for the catapult without the arm................

#32 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:47 PM

Thanks for sharing those experiences. It helps lol. I have learned one thing in life and it is that I would rather own up to my screwups and learn from them, than hide them and take myself too seriously. It seems to make people more comfortable to be around someone who admits they mess up just like everyone else.

Question for more experienced players: Should I fork over cash to buy the Battlemaster hero? I own two of them now and I read we need three to elite them. like that we can play for free but I would like to buy something and help them pay the bills.

Edited by Jack McKnight, 20 May 2016 - 03:55 PM.

#33 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:27 PM

No opinion on the hero.

For your next experience I suggest remembering something very important. Calm yourself. Don't panic. Just play.

https://youtu.be/Ovw0FUvQbIM
Panicking is what gets the other guy killed. In an assault, if you are doomed to die you will know it. Simply accept it as you fight and take whoever you can with you.

Good luck.

#34 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:36 AM

Sound advice, thanks.

#35 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:06 AM

https://youtu.be/sVMoOPoimOs
Notice the Atlas, the cataphract both hesitated and it cost them their lives.

Panicking against the Raven could have doomed me too.

Or try this for an exterior view.
https://youtu.be/z8mw2_SabwY

Lordred chase cam provided by Lordred. No other voice is in the same match. I'm laughing about someone in chat who said he brought flamers.

Edited by Koniving, 21 May 2016 - 09:14 AM.

#36 IQcreditscore

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:28 PM

It's actually not easy to have "fun" in games anymore as a lot of people are too serious bznsss. I alternate between playing hard and goofing off, while always watching videos like jujushinobi or w/e's etc. He is actually not playing serious bzns in his videos many times with joke builds etc. but excells due to personal skill and long practice. I actually gleen the small things he does almost unconsciously in his videos. Just little things you have to watch things a couple times or slow them down but it helps.

Last night I am playing a Fp match. We are cleaning up their second wave and there is a hunchback2c left. He just lit for a second so I know where he is. I turn the corner and see a hunchback with it's back to me. 4 pulse lasers to the rear torso annnnnnnnnnnd it was a friendly hunchback so close on the minimap his blue was overlapped by my marker. The 2c was behind an outcropping from a dynamo. Not only did I kill the frendly but darn near lost the fight with the 2c due to ghost heating on the alpha strike. Not to mention some residual heat from the fight that was just ending.

#37 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:07 PM

If you are really liking a mech, and have two, buying either a champion or Hero to fill in your last to help skip the grind can always be helpful. But heroes are a mixed bag, some people love, others people hate, and they can both be the same mech!

That said, i have never played a battle master, so hero advice on it is kinda out of my area of knowledge other than just having a look at the basics in smurfy. It looks like an energy boat with missile back up, if that is something you think you might like, it could be worth it. But from my point of view the darn thing is just to pricey at retail and would hold off for a sale. If you don't mind spending the 30 bucks to pick up the 6500MC pack to grab it, go for it. To me what you spend money is a personal decision. Posted Image

I didn't notice which ones you did buy, but the 2C is the closest you can get to it, but you are missing one energy and one missile hard points, so that will make builds different, especially if you wanted to go with the triple SRM4's or 6 builds. It also only has one weapon in the arms with AMS on the other side, so you will lack a little bit of being able to aim past your center cross hair. (if you are running arms unlocked). The plus side is that AMS side can be used a shield to soak damage as you twist. Loosing an arm with only a single AMS isn't a bad thing more often than not. The 2C also can run also dual AMS which i find helpful on some mechs. Mainly my catapult jester which IMO is one of the best mechs in the game, at least for me, and it is one of my best performing, ohh how i can't wait till next month when it gets re-scaled!

All that said, i have a some of mechs that i choose to only buy two, and then waited for the hero to go on sale to grab the third. So if you do choose to wait, maybe get into another set of mechs and buy 2 or three and wait for the heroes to go on sale as that is an option. At this point it's your play that is holding you back, not the unlocks so don't worry about those as much right now. I will also just add, that june has been the month for sales in the past, with every hero going on sale the past few years, and with the re-size coming, i would have to think sales are going to be part of it.. so holding off could save you a good amount of MC. My guess if they do a huge sale for re-size it will be of the 35% off type which they uses when they have tons of choices, the 50% off sales are typically more nitch, and you will wait a lot longer for those. But as a betting man, i bet it hits 35% off in june or july Posted Image

So many mechs, so little time after you play a while, Especially now that i've been playing clans only since dec.. (played IS only from april 2013- dec 2015, so closing in on 3 years. In that time i racked up quite the IS garage being a semi casual player.

I will say i don't see that many hellslingers in game, but that does not mean they are not good, on paper it looks like they could be a nice mech, I'd just wait for some others to chime in about how they play before you pull the trigger on one.

Glad to know you are still having fun.

Edited by JC Daxion, 21 May 2016 - 10:16 PM.

#38 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:43 AM

Okay with some actual time, here's what I can say about Hellslinger the battle master.

Current quirks favor generic ppcs, laser, energy and missile. At the time I "tried" it, the Hellslinger was only given the most unique quirk of ignoring half of external heat conditions.

This means... on cold maps it loses half of the mwo's cooling bonus.
In water it loses half of the cooling bonus to heatsinks in water... note: this doesn't matter for I.S. Mechs in MWO.
BUT... you also ignore half of the heat on hot maps.

That means on Terra therma, the threshold and cooling penalties of -25% are just -12.5% for you. The cauldron in caustic with its -30% penalties... just -15% for you.
The lava in Terra therma at -50% penalties will be -25% for you.

These details are important because it is a double edged sword.

Even more so because of the Night Gyr with simulated Laser heatsinks... A Night Gyr will have the Hellslinger's ability to ignore external temperature at 100%. (Lava will still do damage but no heat gain).

So. Ball's in your court. I didn't seem it worth cash with my budget cut so far back, and 30% to 50% off heroes has kinda stopped. You can still get it 50% off with the battle master mastery pack with various other trinkets including battle masters that you almost certainly don't have.

#39 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:09 AM

I winced when you said you sold the engine. I never sell am engine I only have one of. Never know when you might need it for a build and then have to buy it back.

#40 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:00 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 22 May 2016 - 09:09 AM, said:

I winced when you said you sold the engine. I never sell am engine I only have one of. Never know when you might need it for a build and then have to buy it back.

I had two of them, one from each of the two Battlemasters. Koniving shared a loadout that used the STD 315 engine so I sold one STD 340 and bought it to make a clone. I appreciate the concern though.

Thanks for all of the advice given. As far as the Hellslinger goes, I will buy the Atlas master pack and just save for another BLR to master them instead of paying so much for one more mech. From what I have read the Atlas is not the best assault mech out there, for now, but I want one after seeing so many on the battlefield and getting tore up by some. That, and they are, to me, an iconic mech for Battletech. :)

Edited by Jack McKnight, 22 May 2016 - 02:25 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users