260 replies to this topic

#41 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:28 PM

When you get to as many mechs as I have... you find a lot of mechs without engines and then you cry.

....and Cry I do. Because the quick buck you get for selling the engine isn't worth the cost of getting it back. Good news is Battlemasters almost always have 340 engines, so you'll get more if you keep collecting them.

Sounds like you'll be having a Boar's Head in your near future. You'll like it.
This was a shot of mine by Lordred.
Posted Image
The build was something simple; 4 LPL (rigged to fire 2 at a time) and 2 TAGs to help me work around nvisible walls.

#42 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:01 PM

View PostKoniving, on 22 May 2016 - 04:28 PM, said:

When you get to as many mechs as I have... you find a lot of mechs without engines and then you cry.

....and Cry I do. Because the quick buck you get for selling the engine isn't worth the cost of getting it back. Good news is Battlemasters almost always have 340 engines, so you'll get more if you keep collecting them.

Sounds like you'll be having a Boar's Head in your near future. You'll like it.
This was a shot of mine by Lordred.
Posted Image
The build was something simple; 4 LPL (rigged to fire 2 at a time) and 2 TAGs to help me work around nvisible walls.

OHHH HO HO . . .That is SWEET! I remember you commenting about using TAG when you spectated your teammate hit the invisible wall on Chicks. Love. Battlemasters. (If I remember right lol. I have watched alot of MWO vids since I started playing.)

Regarding the engines, Nick, Koniving, your experienced advice will be heeded. Thanks.

Edited by Jack McKnight, 22 May 2016 - 05:09 PM.

#43 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:48 PM

Yes, i agree, never sell an engine! Especially XL engines, they are just to expensive. Atlas mastery pack is a decent buy, if you are liking the assaults. (sad part is the 340 is an engine that is very popular in atlas builds, though mine i think i run a 320, 330 and a 340 in the 3 i own.

Personally don't sell an engine till i have 3-4 stashed away, Or are engines under STD's under 240, as the mechs that i would run something that small i go with XL's. Some still will use an STD in mediums say like a 220 or something, but i find most of those builds far to nitch to worry about, and typically don't fit my style.

But as far as atlas's go, everyone has an opinion on every mech, and the top comp players typically find others, basically what ever the top OP mech is at the time and then will move on. Us normal folks find mechs we love and then play um to death,, and don't care what other people say about how much our favs suck.. (commando's i'm talking about you :P )

Atlas's have tons of great builds, I like combos with ac-20, large lasers and SRM's for starters, but dual AC5's, gauss, pulse builds, medium pulse builds are all great.. I just recommend if you want to use LRM's you don't run more than one launcher, and typically it's a 15, though at times a pair of 10's is nice as well. Just remember even long range atlas's need to move up to the front lines to help soak damage, so don't be that guy hiding in the back lobbing LRM's from an atlas.. Use them as the long brawler style.. aka 250-400m. Much shorter arcs, and they are far more likely to hit.

just think, by the time you master your atlas's you might have enough for that third battle master, Or maybe by that time the hellbringer will be on sale :P

Enjoy!

#44 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:31 PM

JC, thanks for the Atlas tips. When I am able to get back in game in a few days, I will hopefully have the Atlas mastery pack online. I like the idea of having an lrm option while advancing to the front.

Another rookie adventure: I used the Trebuchet trial and was having a blast firing off lrms as my team targeted enemies in Frozen City. I learned a vital lesson when I was so focused on hurling lrms that I was snuck up on by a tiny little . . . KODIAK. Situational awareness??? What is that???

#45 Captain Alt F4

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 65 posts
  • LocationDesktop

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:15 PM

We have all be guilty of standing behind someone and getting them killed, and most have been stood behind and died because their retreat got cut off. Most players learn quickly.

I admit that I will get very salty if I die because someone has moved into my space and stood there as I tried to get out. Nothin worse than realising your enemy has found their balls and are pushing, and you are on the front line, and you need to vacate your position right NOW.... oh wait that [insert phrase] can't see the enemy coming because they are studying my mechs backside.... a backside now a molten ruin. :D

A tip, when you die spectate other players, especially ones you learn to recognise as good. You will learn a lot from watching them play.

#46 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:05 PM

Just don't go crazy and load too many lrms on the atlas taking valuable slots and weight. IS lrm pods are heavy and large. And unless you're actively going up front to take some dmg for the team, taking an atlas for lrms is taking up valuable tonnage in group weight limited drops. It's fine if you lrm as a closing weapon while you get to the front then pop them with a large ac and some lasers

#47 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 11:30 PM

View PostJack McKnight, on 24 May 2016 - 06:31 PM, said:

Another rookie adventure: I used the Trebuchet trial and was having a blast firing off lrms as my team targeted enemies in Frozen City. I learned a vital lesson when I was so focused on hurling lrms that I was snuck up on by a tiny little . . . KODIAK. Situational awareness??? What is that???

I'd bank 6m, and keep it for when you hit the GXP mark, and pick up a single seismic sensor asap... Best first purchase by far, as far as modules go. It's either 5 or 10k GXP for the first unlock, get it, then upgrade it when you can.

Edited by JC Daxion, 24 May 2016 - 11:31 PM.

#48 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 24 May 2016 - 11:57 PM

I too appreciate a good lrm harassment whilest I tromp inexorably towards mine enemy. In such instances, I find it best to build my mech to compliment the midrange capacity of the Long Range Missiles. Something like this AS7-D-DC has a decent midrange and brawling capacity. Build to keep on coming until their down.

~Leone.

#49 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:06 PM

Great advice all around. When I can get in game, I am going to tinker with missile options on my Battlemasters until I get the Atlas pack. Just for fun.

Edit: PENGUINS GOING TO THE STANLEY CUP FINALS!!!!! WOOT!

Edited by Jack McKnight, 26 May 2016 - 07:02 PM.

#50 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:21 AM

Darn it.. I lost my bet... They all didn't go on sale in june.... But they are on sale this weekend!!!! can you say 50% off hellbringer???!!!!!!! sure you can... i knew you could... Posted Image

*edit,, BOOOOO was hoping for the lightning.. But now its go SHARKS! Sorry, Whalers fan here.. and i just can't root for pit, typically i now root for Canada,, but when they not in, i go west coast.. yes 20 years later and i am still bitter :P

Edited by JC Daxion, 27 May 2016 - 11:23 AM.

#51 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 04:57 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 27 May 2016 - 11:21 AM, said:

Darn it.. I lost my bet... They all didn't go on sale in june.... But they are on sale this weekend!!!! can you say 50% off hellbringer???!!!!!!! sure you can... i knew you could... Posted Image

*edit,, BOOOOO was hoping for the lightning.. But now its go SHARKS! Sorry, Whalers fan here.. and i just can't root for pit, typically i now root for Canada,, but when they not in, i go west coast.. yes 20 years later and i am still bitter :P

Rooting for the Sharks??? Grab a clan mech and initiate Zellbrigen! :P

Edited by Jack McKnight, 28 May 2016 - 04:59 PM.

#52 Camx Kerensky

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:05 AM

Good luck!

#53 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 03:58 PM

Thanks Camx. Welcome to MWO!

#54 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:01 PM

View PostCamx Kerensky, on 29 May 2016 - 09:05 AM, said:

Good luck!

Welcome to MWO.

View PostJack McKnight, on 29 May 2016 - 03:58 PM, said:

Thanks Camx. Welcome to MWO!

Welcome back to the hotseat. Got the atlases in the field yet?

#55 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 04:34 PM

View PostKoniving, on 29 May 2016 - 04:01 PM, said:

Welcome to MWO.

Welcome back to the hotseat. Got the atlases in the field yet?

Thanks Koniving. I should be healed up and able to roll tomorrow. Thanks to the sale, I will have them tomorrow. I am planning to get the Battlemaster hero also. I do not have a Paypal account and I am paranoid about giving my credit card number out, (Nothing personal PGI!), so I am researching options for safely paying online.

Edited by Jack McKnight, 29 May 2016 - 04:38 PM.

#56 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 11:26 AM

I now have the Atlas pack and the Hellslinger. Now I have to decide which to master first. :)

Would you guys recommend mech bays with leftover MC?

I bought a few mech bays and another hero mech. I have the first tier finished for the Boars Head. Moving on to the other 2 Atlas then the Battlemasters after that.

This thread will fade out soon. Before it dies, I want to say thanks to everyone who gave advice/help.

Edited by Jack McKnight, 30 May 2016 - 09:01 PM.

#57 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:21 AM

I personally save MC for mechbays, and only spree buy Bays when they go on sale ever blue moon or so. But yeah, spare MC for bays. An maybe a tour of the Sphere in Community Warefare for some spares as well. Mercenary work pays well I hear.

~Leone.

#58 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:26 AM

MC I would use for mechbays, camos and paints during camo/paint sales. Occasionally hero mechs. It's all I've ever used them for. I did buy an Atlas with MC once. Regret it to this day. Much too expensive. And it was the K. Did it because I thought it'd be a pain to have to save that much in Cbills.

#59 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:45 AM

Thanks Leone, Koniving. I did buy a few mechbays with it. I looked into community warfare and bought a cheap hero on sale (the Arrow) purely based on recommendations for the Blackjack as a good all purpose mech. I figured 45 tons would help me build a deck for CW so I could at least take one Atlas, one Battlemaster and one Blackjack. I planned to use cbills to buy the other two Blackjacks and master them. I was trying to plan ahead for CW, but I fear I may have screwed up in buying the Arrow.

Edit: I still have ALOT to learn about positioning and when to push with the Atlas lol.

Edited by Jack McKnight, 01 June 2016 - 04:01 AM.

#60 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:51 AM

I kinda wish money wasn't tight with property taxes, I was wanting to spend 30 to get three or so heroes. Posted Image

Sounds like a good time to get into Blackjacks. I find them to be a bit of fun.

Actually if you can, want to jump into MWO together?

Edited by Koniving, 01 June 2016 - 03:49 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users