Attn: Frr Scouting Strategy Test

10 replies to this topic

#1 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:12 AM

Good morning fellow Bacon Eaters. For the past little while I have been testing a new strategy in scouting and it appears to be effective. This strategy is not very viking but it's quite satisfying in so far as it seems to annoy the clanners and has them rage in the game about the "crappy game mode". The "OutCollect" method is just as it sounds. Using the superior speed of the IS ECM mechs you constantly work in a gather mode. Even when you are on protect intel, you strive to gather as many data points as you can. One of the nice aspects of this method is that matches can be done quickly, lowering drop times to around the 5-minute level. The method relies on the following:
  • Scattering at the start and everyone going different ways to collect data.
  • Use ultra-fast mechs (140 kph+)-- the more durable the better.
  • Never engage the enemy and kite them whenever possible.
  • Calling in the enemy drop ship as fast as possible.
  • On Protect missions you continue to collect data points rather than find the enemy drop-zone. Deny the enemy the last few points as they will usually split up to try to gather more data points.
  • On Gather, two allies charge the drop-zone in the last 25 seconds (after hiding near the drop-zone) and the other remaining allies continue to gather.
  • Escaping with data is paramount, be prepared to hide should the enemy guard remaining data nodes -- waiting until the drop ship comes in automatically at the 3 minute mark.
  • Do not stick together. The enemy will usually, by luck alone, find one of you. That person is effectively removed from gathering while kiting the enemy but does a more important job of denying the enemy the ability to collect by leading the enemy back towards areas that the allies have already collected from.

Why this method? The clanners are only wanting to bring high-alpha mediums to the matches because -- well they are clanners and still stuck on the "By lore clans HAVE to be superior" mentality (OK there is more to it than that including a lack of diversity). Clan mechs, outfitted as an SRM boat, ER-SMPL boats or S-SRM boats are a tough fight because of their assault-level alphas.. The OutCollect method is designed to render their firepower useless. It is effective when trying to bring up the scouting level of a planet prior or during 12-man FP and with competent players (most of this was done with pugs) getting more than 13 data points is common.

I have been using this method, whenever I get agreeable players and have kept track of the data-node scores and game-time. Over the course of 30 games (15 gather and 15 protect) (over almost two weeks):

Total possible nodes on gather: 300

Data nodes collected in gather: 202 (67% of nodes)

Average game time : 5:11

Total possible nodes on protect: 300

Data nodes collected in Protect: 167 (56%)

Data nodes enemy collected: 129 (43%)

Average game time: 5:37

Data nodes gained(net): 73 ( + 12%)

If you constantly run this methodology the clans will consistently gather less intel than you and, in the scheme of FP, you will win. We have even run this way against cheetahs on the other side and out gathered them however, Jenner IICs pose a problem due to their speed and firepower On the positive side, the Jenner IICs, by not having the quirks of the IS mechs are slightly squishy and ECM will usually allow IS mechs to have the initiative. The basic point being, if clanners want to alpha the crap out of everything, then, don't give them the opportunity -- in lore the IS is crafty, sneaky, dirty and resourceful so why not be that way in game?

Now I didn't keep track of the games where we played the "Skittle" method, however, my gut-feeling is that we usually came up even in regards to data nodes gains or losses. As an addendum, I have been able to beat the clans in straight-up brawls with a decent 4-man who is using the proper mechs, however, the Out Gather method is easy to implement with less prepared groups and could easily (until PGI screwed up the team-chat feature in the loading screen) be organized before the drop.

Edited by nehebkau, 20 May 2016 - 09:15 AM.

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:23 AM

Spider works great for this btw.

#3 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:28 PM

When my scouting team decides to start doing the "run around and collect intel points" strat, I usually leave.

If anything the FRR are like vikings, not wussies. Fight the clanners, show them the grit in your teeth, laugh in the face of streakboats. As long as you bring competitively viable medium brawlers, you're ensured victory in the vast majority of your matches (and remember, once you've killed three enemies, you can leave the last one alive and just go collect Intel if your planet badly needs it). What's more is that you earn decent C-Bills and loyalty/reputation for actually fighting them rather than running around like pansies. And it's immensely more satisfying knowing that you've mowed them down in combat.

#4 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:35 PM

View PostTarogato, on 20 May 2016 - 03:28 PM, said:

When my scouting team decides to start doing the "run around and collect intel points" strat, I usually leave.

If anything the FRR are like vikings, not wussies. Fight the clanners, show them the grit in your teeth, laugh in the face of streakboats. As long as you bring competitively viable medium brawlers, you're ensured victory in the vast majority of your matches (and remember, once you've killed three enemies, you can leave the last one alive and just go collect Intel if your planet badly needs it). What's more is that you earn decent C-Bills and loyalty/reputation for actually fighting them rather than running around like pansies. And it's immensely more satisfying knowing that you've mowed them down in combat.

I was looking more at the efficiency of quickly changing the scouting stance of a planet. When you go to fight the enemy you will have 10-minute matches -- often. When you gather you cut that in 1/2.

My plan wasn't about playing the game for fun but for actually making a strategic move in FW -- it was all about moving that scouting % in the direction you want it to move.

#5 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:00 PM

Only problem is the map drop.

Forest/River City are 50/50 in terms of where the points will drop and don't favour any side particularly. One can't out-gather the other too easily long as people know where the points are you can get 8 a piece pretty fast and same for River.

Grim Plex. Heavily favours defenders for cap points. You only need to be doing 95km/h to have 6-8 points before gathering team will have 2 and due to the other. So gathering you don't have a lot of choice but to brawl so you can then get the others.

Caustic. Heavily favours gathering. Simply head towards E5 and you will pick up between 5-7 points with a single mech while the others go anywhere.

Polar is just an overall joke, you have to run lights both sides. Bring a Med you're gonna have a lonely game unless you get really lucky with the dropzone appearing near where you are.

So while that theory can work, it doesn't work all the time depending on the map. 30 games is not enough of a sample space at all. Needs to be 200+

When in a team of 4, against a team of 4 - I win 8/10 matches (and that's over 100s of scouting matches now). We pick the mech that suits the map and mode best. It does vary.

Edited by R31Nismoid, 20 May 2016 - 05:01 PM.

#6 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:43 AM

i bought a kintaro and outfitted it with 5xsrm6 to try and take on an scr head on. Is this a good idea? Because the only other thing im capable of doing is hanging back with my 3lpl wolverine.

also i bought the kintaro because the kintaro is less likely to get nerfed than the griffin and it has higher firepower :)

#7 Tony Tidbits

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:23 AM

Any speedy mech with an AC 20 and decent armour, is a good counter to the Streak Crows.

#8 DaemonWulfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:31 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the community will be divided on this. It'll be a good tactic for sqeemish players, but aggressive players, such as myself, prefer killing three, legging one, and gathering until drop ship comes. Leave a healthy team mate near the legged enemy to ensure all invaders have been eradicated. Gotta hustle for them c-bills, y'all! Seems like a good tactic for a large unit to try to lock down scouting pretty quick, much like the units that gen rush. I still prefer punishing clanners for their insolence in thinking what's ours is theirs.

#9 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:45 AM

View PostDaemonWulfe, on 23 May 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the community will be divided on this. It'll be a good tactic for sqeemish players, but aggressive players, such as myself, prefer killing three, legging one, and gathering until drop ship comes. Leave a healthy team mate near the legged enemy to ensure all invaders have been eradicated. Gotta hustle for them c-bills, y'all! Seems like a good tactic for a large unit to try to lock down scouting pretty quick, much like the units that gen rush. I still prefer punishing clanners for their insolence in thinking what's ours is theirs.

Yes, you are right, It is about locking down a planet quickly and, in all honesty, doesn't require too skilled of players to execute. Perhaps the skill-less nature of it makes it truly IS in nature Posted Image but it works. Figure it should be just another trick in the bag, much in the same way that gen-rushes are.

Edited by nehebkau, 24 May 2016 - 08:45 AM.

#10 ggodo

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:22 PM

I guess my plan to put the biggest engine in my RVN-3L is more viable than I thought. Any suggestions for firepower to fill up that non-engine space? Should I build for distance deterrance or short range hit and run?

Edited to add my dumb idea: http://goo.gl/pKdSQb
Then edited again for spelling. I shouldn't post on phone.

Edited by ggodo, 26 May 2016 - 03:27 PM.

#11 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:39 PM

Well if you are eventually going to lose the planet anyway, might as well try and drag things out we suppose.. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users