- - - - -

Which Pilot Modules To Get?

16 replies to this topic

#1 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:42 AM

I have the Radar Deprivation and Advanced Zoom. And Air, Artillery strikes, and UAVs.

So which ones should be next and which two do YOU use. (I'm assuming that there are only 2 spots)

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:52 AM

How many spots you have depend on the mech and Master status.

I don't really use them much, but...

Seismic sensor works wonders for slower mechs. Just hold still for a moment and engage "wall hacks" and bam... seismic sensor tells you where the big bad stompy people are. Mich fun to be had here.

Advanced Zoom for snipering (ignore reticle it lies).

MG rate and range.... such great fun!

Advanced aensors have been helpful as well.

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:53 AM

Derp and seismic. Top two without question.

I use TIG and advanced decay situationally. Adv sensor range in ultra long range comp strats. Can't remember the last time I used anything else. Some like Adv Zoom, I think it's a waste.

Edited by TercieI, 23 May 2016 - 09:55 AM.

#4 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:27 AM

View PostTercieI, on 23 May 2016 - 09:53 AM, said:

Derp and seismic. Top two without question.

I use TIG and advanced decay situationally. Adv sensor range in ultra long range comp strats. Can't remember the last time I used anything else. Some like Adv Zoom, I think it's a waste.

The longer I play the more useless Adv Zoom gets, but I think it's still a solid buy for a first module at lower tier play, mostly because it's cheap (2M), and it has a very tangible benefit when you are still working on aiming and shot-placement.

#5 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:47 AM

View PostJables McBarty, on 23 May 2016 - 10:27 AM, said:

The longer I play the more useless Adv Zoom gets, but I think it's still a solid buy for a first module at lower tier play, mostly because it's cheap (2M), and it has a very tangible benefit when you are still working on aiming and shot-placement.

Maybe, though I favor developing the right habits early and I know very few top players that use it at all. And that 15K GXP to unlock is not cheap.

#6 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:14 AM

If you master all your Mechs, how many slots do you get?

I've seen Seismic used a lot in defense of planets.

Some of them seem silly, like a 2% added range on a weapon.

#7 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:49 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 23 May 2016 - 11:14 AM, said:

If you master all your Mechs, how many slots do you get?

I've seen Seismic used a lot in defense of planets.

Some of them seem silly, like a 2% added range on a weapon.

Mechs come with a set number of slots, usually 2 Consumable, 2 Weapon and 1 Mech. Mastery adds a flex slot that can be Mech or Weapon. Smurfy lists them in the MS column in the format M/W/C. IMO, seismic is always useful. The weapon modules are too, though they should really be set to max level (5 where range would be 10%, usually 3500 total GXP to unlock) or they're not nearly as valuable.

#8 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:09 PM

If I'm prioritizing for making my initial module purchases, then

1) Radar Dep
2) Seimic and Advanced Seismic

After that, Target Info Gather and (Advanced) Sensor Range. Because "Information is Ammunition ™" Which one comes first depends a little on playstyle, because range is nice if I'm an inveterate sniper. Otherwise, TIG, bcause the faster you know what component your teammates have opened, the faster you can pick it off.

So,
3) Target Info Gathering
4) Advanced Sensor Range

Everything else is subject to what kind of goofing off I want to do. Target decay, 360 Degree Targeting, etc fall into this category.

Honorable Mention: I like Adv Zoom on some of my trolliest sniper builds, because funny.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:14 PM

Any module can be usefull depending on the situation, radar Deprivation and seismic are the best general purpose modules, you cannot realy go wrong with those 2 but depending on what you are doing others could be more useful, for example I will use 360 target retention and target info gathering on a harrasser, advanced target decay is great if you are using LRMs or SSRMs, sensor range and target info (as well as BAP) are great for a scout

#10 Mercworks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:02 PM

Radar Derp is required and dwarfs the utility of all of the other modules. Adv. Target Decay is required on any LRM mech.

#11 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:47 PM

Seismic Sensors has the most utility out of all the mech based modules for me.

~Leone

#12 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:38 PM

Once you have seismic and radar Derp unlocked you really are set. If you wanted to push it advanced zoom is handy and so is sensor range and Intel gathering. Those are the modules that seem to come with preorders the most so they are worth having.

Weapon mods that come with preorder vary alot but in general one of them is going to be a cooldown or range increase for medium lasers/ pulse lasers. So if you plan on preorder purchases it's not a bad choice to unlock those two for clan and innersphere.

In general on weapon mods I favor cooldowns for large pulse lasers, srm, lrm and ballistic weapons and range mods for all lasers and srms.

I have everything unlocked from playing for so long. But I don't really buy much of anything unless it's for FW mechs. For Faction dropdecks I Own 4 seismic sensors and radar derps, 3 each of med laser range, er medium laser range, clan and innersphere lg pulse laser range., two each AC 5 cooldown, clan and innersphere guass cooldown, clan and innersphere er ppc cooldown. I just move them from build to build as those are the weapons i favor. I also have clan small and small pulse laser mods for my arctic cheetah builds. It was pricey buying all of them but the 4 seismic and radar derps are worth it.

#13 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:28 PM

Do we need to say it again?
Radar derp and seismic wallhack!

#14 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:36 PM

Depends on the mech, but honestly i rarely use rader Dep, seismic on the other hand i always find useful.

Hill climb i try to get on my mediums and lights if they don't have JJ's, even fast heavies too, really to me it is a must have on those mechs even better than seismic IMO as sure it is good to know if someone is coming or closde, but id rather beable to run up and over a hill i normally couldn't. then again IS mechs have enough module slots so i typically don't have to choose.

on my third module slot i typically add

Targeting info gathering on any pin-point mech is great.

On mechs that i brawl and use SRM's or not so many pin-point weapons, i find 360 very worth while.

Typically radar dep only slips in on slower mechs for the most part. Snipers/LRMers it is a a good module for them as you can dip of radar faster and they won't see where you are going to pop up as easily. But i tend to short/medium range and brawl and it's basically useless for that style. But for me, on most mechs, it only drops you off radar a tiny bit faster, so faster mechs can just keep moving to avoid LRM's, the assaults are the ones that it helps the most for me. as they are much slower, and that second can mean the difference between the volley hitting you and not, fast mechs you just move another 5-10m and they miss anyway. I don'[t play the peek and poke much, so dropping of radar then popping back doesn't help me at all. Lights/meds i just take an extra 1 sec and then change my course.

and of course if you have a mech with LRM's Targeting decay is a must, typically LRM mechs are the ones that i will add radar dep so it's a good combo

Edited by JC Daxion, 23 May 2016 - 09:44 PM.

#15 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:38 AM

View PostBoogie138, on 23 May 2016 - 08:28 PM, said:

Do we need to say it again?
Radar derp and seismic wallhack!

Apparently so. Seriously, this is the only answer. These are the modules used by virtually every top player on virtually every build. Don't overthink.

Edited by TercieI, 24 May 2016 - 05:38 AM.

#16 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:47 AM

Derp, Seismic.
Range (full unlock) is good on ERLL where it can make a decent difference when you are engaging at extra long range, which is quite common.
Firing rate best on builds which dont overheat, otherwise you tend to get the same number of shots off before having to disengage to cooldown anyway.

#17 SkavenDC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 155 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWith the Golden Foxes

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:50 AM

There appears to be an issue here.

***EDIT - Decided my comments were not proper decorum***

There is a lot of hand holding going on here.

Questions are asked, answered, apparently ignored and asked again later.

Good luck with your game.

Edited by SkavenDC, 24 May 2016 - 06:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users