- - - - -

In Theory, How Many Lrms Will 3 Ams And 2 Tons Of Ammo Shoot Down?

15 replies to this topic

#1 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:54 AM

Each ton of ammo has 2000 rounds.

#2 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:58 AM

There isn't enough data to even begin to answer this.

Is the mech moving? Is it the primary target? Are you running towards or away from it? In cover or partial cover? Clan or IS AMS? NARC'ed? Locked on, Fire n'Forget or TAG'ed? How many launchers and what type of LRM?

Either way 2 tons isn't enough to last a protracted engagement if you just leave the AMS on.

Usually an AMS of a primary target, assuming its a heavy, would blunt most of a 5 LRM spread. If the pilot is half decent then most if not all of that LRM-5 salvo.

With multiple waves of various LRM type, even a fast mover like an Uller/Kitfox will have its AMS systems swamped. Too many variables and RNG to account for.

Edited by rolly, 23 May 2016 - 10:03 AM.

#3 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:24 AM

Yea, it is a little crazy.

I will sometimes stay with the LRM boats on our side (OMG, everyone seems to have them in Quickplay, even an ACH had LRMs). That way I can give them ECM cover and spot. From time to time, I will be with someone who asks me to stay close.

Some of it fires simply whenever anything is close enough.

The other thing I do it run from one side to another. If I see streams hitting a teammate I will run over there. A few times I turned by ECM to counter and ran out just so they would try to hit me with LRMs.

I figured that it would be hard to put a number on it. It is not even listed as a stat and it does not count toward any XP or C-bills.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:36 AM

Assuming a stationary target...

3.5 damage per second per AMS, 3 AMS: standard LRMs have 1 health, SRMs have 2 health, NARC has 3 health.

10.5 Long Range Missiles per second, assuming you get the full second.
5.25 SRMs per second if you get the full second.
3 and a half NARCs per second.
Note: If you get AMS Overload, it goes to something like 6.5 per second per AMS.
If you get AMS range, your time to shoot things down before impact will increase due to a longer reaction range.

Note: AMS in any amount usually attacks the same missile and doesn't move on until that missile is destroyed. So the actual amount of missiles destroyed may vary a little bit.

There's also some definite issues with the AMS field on a per mech basis... AMS on some mechs completely ignore large sections of incoming missiles (example; Wolverine AMS ignores the rear). These are bugs, and as such will screw with any testing results.

Beware of missiles to your rear-left, since the obvious assumption is you'll be in a Kitfox.

Further note: it's too hard to get the burn rate of AMS. But it is fast. Quick rough guess; you have about 10-20 seconds of constant AMS fire.

Edited by Koniving, 23 May 2016 - 11:43 AM.

#5 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:06 PM

I noticed that it will shoot missiles that are far from incoming and also those passing over my head.

The BRRRRRR reminds me a little of the A-10, lol.

#6 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:23 PM

Best practical answer: not as much as getting to cover ;)

#7 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:46 PM

i never ran tipple, but on my dual AMS mechs, i run 5000 rounds, aka 2.5 tons, if lots of LRM's are around especially clans, you will run out before the end of the match

#8 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:54 PM

My Kit Fox could run for cover and since he has ECM he is not targetted often.

My Stormcrows...not so much. I'm leveling their pilot trees and I'm getting rained on. I have the Radar Deprivation on him and I'm still getting rained on. I thought having it on and hiding from the LRM boats would take me off their radar.

And there are times when there almost is no space to run for cover. What is worse for me is that I lose my place in the firing line and where my targets are. But in Quick Play, you often have no choice. Two days ago I saw an Arctic Cheetah with LRMs.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:30 AM

Radar Deprivation doesn't really work unless you can break line of sight from all enemies.
So radar Deprivation by itself does nothing; you have to get out of sight!
Getting behind an ally can do this, btw.

LRM crazes are all over the place.

Thing is, gotta solve the missile problem. Find the ***** using them... and...

Or from the perspective of the LRM boat...

#10 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 06:59 PM

I find this semi-funny...Since I'm working towards my 2nd module spot on my Kit Fox I started looking at all of them. I have the 2nd one on my Stormcrow so I was also trying to decide which 2nd one I'd want.

And I found the one that upgrades your AMS! There are a couple really, but the one I like raises the AMS ammo's damage from 3.5 to 6.0.

hehe

#11 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:31 PM

no discussion about AMS and LRM is complete with out these 2 vids

it can be a lot of fun sneaking up on a the LRM boats and missile blocking them. AMS over load is almost a must for this. the AMS range in combo with overload will burn thru ammo but unless there are over 60 LRMs in the air you will cut them down by 2/3rds or more.

#12 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:55 PM

Hard to say. Here's my explanation on why.

A single LRM has 10 health. It travels at 160m/s.

An AMS system fires 30 rounds per second at 3.5 damage per bullet. It has a range of 120m.

It therefore takes 3 bullets per LRM to drop a LRM. So theoretically, the maximum number of LRMs shot down by a single ton of AMS ammo is 2000 / 3, or 666 LRMs.

However, things aren't quite as simple as that. Keep in mind that AMS systems will only shoot at the nearest LRM, regardless of health. So if there's a LRM that will hit you because it's too close and still has too much health to shoot down, it'll keep shooting at it anyway even if the next one along should be shot down instead. This results in a cascading failure as the overwhelmed systems continue to attempt shooting down the nearest LRM, even if it will never work.

Triple AMS causes you to shoot down a single LRM with every 'volley' of your AMS systems. Thus, with no buffs, triple AMS can theoretically shoot down 30 LRMs per second. However, PGI's systems do not allow this to happen; your AMS can only change lock so many times per second. In practice, I found that a triple AMS system with modules can effectively block either:

1. IS LRM15, or any combination adding up to 15, to 100% effectiveness.
2. Three Clan LRM launchers, of any size.
3. A single NARC, assuming no other missiles are in the air.
4. Two SSRMs.
5. NO SRMs. These are NOT hit by AMS systems, for some reason or another!

#13 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:32 PM

Can't say for the Ammo count, but...

Each AMS tends to take out anywhere between 5 to 10 LRMs on average per volley (among other missile types already discussed), depending upon positioning, targets, flight path, etc. I wouldn't be too surprised to hear them even taking out up to 15 LRMs with optimum modules and positioning.

With this said, multiply that result by 3. If you are personally the target of those missiles, probably about 15 missiles taken out. If you are not the target of the missiles, with optimum positioning... Upwards of 45 missiles? If the rest of your team also had AMS against LRMs... Can be upwards of a lot more for the entire team...

#14 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:25 PM

View Postloopala, on 29 May 2016 - 07:31 PM, said:

no discussion about AMS and LRM is complete with out these 2 vids

it can be a lot of fun sneaking up on a the LRM boats and missile blocking them. AMS over load is almost a must for this. the AMS range in combo with overload will burn thru ammo but unless there are over 60 LRMs in the air you will cut them down by 2/3rds or more.

UNREAL. I thought I was the only person crazy enough to want AMS overload. I could not tell what the first mech was but I think i'm just going to play my Kit Foxes and only in Quick Play.

I spent all this time and money getting together a 250-ton drop unit and Invasions are taking/wasting over an hour each if you can find one and 90% of the time, they are a cluster funk.

You have given me a reason to keep playing so thank you. This was some great info from all of you. I have charged and taken down a few LRM boats and with this, it will work better.

I'm not going to stay and guard our assaults who do not care anyway. I'm going to hunt LRM boats, lol.

Is that F3 you are using to see yourself?

#15 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:03 PM

There is a need for a larger, better machine gun. My Kit Fox has slots for four ballistic and my only choice is those lame MG's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minigun

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Piranha

#16 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 05:55 AM

Ahh, i see. MGs were nerfed!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users