Finding My Playstyle

62 replies to this topic

#1 NTrippy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:49 PM

Hey guys. In my quest to find a first 'Mech, I'm trying to find a playstyle. I've used all of the trial 'Mechs multiple times, and nothing really stands out. As with everything I experience in life, I'm fairly mediocre at all roles with all 'Mechs.

Could you guys help me find my best playstyle? If you guys could help narrow it down, then recommend a trial to work with and a style to use, I'll test and practice until I see how it's coming.

If I find my calling, I'll also need a chassis recommendation and some pointers for my loadouts.

To get started, here are some of my gamer traits:

I ambush when I aim, as I do not have a steady hand with my mouse. I have trouble focusing, especially under pressure (severe ADD), so I tend to get my crosshairs on target and fire without worrying too much about what I'm hitting (unless it's a stationary target that I can see clearly). I can be sneaky, but once I'm spotted I have trouble disappearing. I don't like players to follow me, preferring to follow someone else or go solo.

So far, I have the least success with Assault-class. My best runs are in the other classes, including Lights which I, surprisingly, don't mind.

A picky point: I have a strong preference to American-style 'Mechs (EG, Locust, Raven, Shadowcat, etc.) over Japanese-style 'Mechs (Commando, Atlas, and other humanoid designs). While this is purely cosmetic, I find it to be distracting (my ADD again).

#2 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:59 PM

Play light. ADD is almost mandatory for lights.
Most effective light mechs thrive off creating and taking advantage of chaos.

And to set the record straight, chicken leg mechs are actually Japanese style. Started with an anime called Macross (aka Robotech in the Usa). Incidentally a lot of the early Battletech mech designs came from said Anime.

#3 NTrippy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:23 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 23 May 2016 - 04:59 PM, said:

Play light. ADD is almost mandatory for lights.
Most effective light mechs thrive off creating and taking advantage of chaos.

And to set the record straight, chicken leg mechs are actually Japanese style. Started with an anime called Macross (aka Robotech in the Usa). Incidentally a lot of the early Battletech mech designs came from said Anime.

If you say so. I've always know Japan to prefer humanoid where American scifi has a lot of non-humanoid.

Anyway, okay, I'll keep playing with the lights and see where it gets me. That works out good because lights are so cheap that I won't fret over a remorseful purchase when the time comes.

#4 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:50 PM

View PostApsyc, on 23 May 2016 - 05:23 PM, said:

If you say so. I've always know Japan to prefer humanoid where American scifi has a lot of non-humanoid.

What I say has nothing to do with what the history of the topic actuallly is.

Here is an interview with the mech designer for Macross.
He gets into where the inspiration for the reverse joint mechs came from.
There is also snippets that mention Battletech.

http://www.forbes.co...s/#5a1a101d1683

#5 NTrippy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:51 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 23 May 2016 - 05:50 PM, said:

What I say has nothing to do with what the history of the topic actuallly is.

Here is an interview with the mech designer for Macross.
He gets into where the inspiration for the reverse joint mechs came from.
There is also snippets that mention Battletech.

http://www.forbes.co...s/#5a1a101d1683

Lol I wasn't questioning you. You'd know better than I would after all Posted Image

Edited by Apsyc, 23 May 2016 - 05:51 PM.

#6 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:51 PM

I agree with Boogie, Light sounds like a good match for you. You can do your own thing, and get out of trouble when things go sour. And speed is fun. Sometimes at the beginning of a match I'll run circles around our assaults just for the lulz.

People say that Firestarter is "the" light, but I've never piloted one. The other is the Arctic Cheetah, and I've Mastered 3 of those--it's a good chassis.

For aesthetics, Locust is an excellent choice, so is the Jenner. Locust is not forgiving but if you can pilot a Locust, you can pilot anything. Jenners are pretty kick-*** right now. The F and D variants are pretty rocking; if you go for the Oxide (hero variant for real money only) then don't even bother with the S.

If it's not too humanoid for you, the Spider is another favorite of mine.

All around, based on what you're saying, I'd suggest looking at variants that have lots of Energy Hardpoints.

It's not necessary, but I'd also suggest looking for 'mechs that have ECM (ACH, SDR, LCT), as those help you get away when you get into trouble.

#7 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:55 PM

Hello my friend; I also have some of the same problems plus bad hands and poor eyesight.

I also thought about this same question because for a lot of people here, it is all about how much damage you do. And this relates in a way to the two years I played Jr College Basketball. I almost never touched a basketball until then and I knew I'd never become a "Scorer" much like here, I'm never going to do a lot of damage.

So I made the team by doing the dirty work. I learned to play defense like a mad man. Without going into details, I was a team player. The only stat I cared about was if we won and how many points did my guy score.

I tried doing the same thing here but was doing Faction invasions over and over and I felt lost and worthless. Not that you do not need teamwork, you do, but it is a bit different. Then recently I started playing Quick Play and things changed a little.

I picked a Mech called the Kit Fox. It is a 30 ton light mech that is a little slow (97KPH upped to 104KPH with the tree filled out). The jump jets are sad (I think they relate to the speed of the mech, not sure). So what is the reason behind this Mech? It does carry ECM so it can cover others (if you are within 90M of another member of your team, he also gets the ECM coverage.

The most unusual thing about it was that it can carry THREE AMS or anti-missile systems. You can read somewhere what one will do, compared to having two or three. Basically, I'm like the "Iron Dome". I can go through waves of incoming missiles without getting hit. But I do not need that much to cover myself and I'm fast enough to dodge a lot of them anyway. IMO, the reason it carries three AMS is to protect others.

And the assaults and heavys also need help watching their back against the small fast Mechs that attack them from the rear. So my "job" is protecting the other Mechs. The faster scouts are out doing their loner thing (I have no idea why they do not pair up) and I'm with the main force. Over the last week, I've gotten a number of "THANKS". And the smarter players will ask me to stay with them and ask others to stay with us.

I only average about 200 damage a game. I've had a number over 400 but my highest was only 526. But I think TEAM instead of personal stats. You do need to do decent damage and at least defend yourself and I find with a PPC I can keep heads down and take pots shots. BY THE WAY, a GOOD sniper changes his position after every shot.

The first thing I'd suggest is to almost never go off by yourself. You let your team down and you get yourself easily killed. Way to many players including myself think we can do better alone. A few can but most cannot. I'd suggest pairing up with another Mech that is about your size and speed and stay with him. Carry a probe and scout and spot for the rest of your team.

Ambushes do work, I know of one player who is unreal at it. He is a total free lancer and is very good. Often you need to wait until Mechs are getting spread out and damaged. Here is an area where working with others can help. Watch your HUD map and if you see a teammate over on one side or behind you dueling with a single Mech, run to help. You will often see him chase or be chased around a building or hill and BAM, you come around it and kill him.

This is not a one on one game. Much like in the books, it should be a two-four on one game. In other words, hit the same guy others are shooting at and they drop fast. If you cannot move fast then be careful of the Mechs you try to ambush. Don't try shooting an Elephant with a deer rifle, you simply make him mad. But if your teammates are hitting him from the front, you come from behind.

As far as your aim, there are two cannons that shoot a spread pattern like a giant shotgun. The C-LB10-X-AC and the C-LB20-X-AC. But it takes a decent size Mech to carry them.

I like 3 of the Mechs you mentioned. The Locust, the Raven and the Shadowcat.

Now hopefully the people who know an LOT more than I do with help you :)

#8 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:09 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 23 May 2016 - 05:50 PM, said:

What I say has nothing to do with what the history of the topic actuallly is. Here is an interview with the mech designer for Macross. He gets into where the inspiration for the reverse joint mechs came from. There is also snippets that mention Battletech. http://www.forbes.co...s/#5a1a101d1683

I do not want to Hi-Jack this thread but I wonder if you know anything about the first BattleMechs. The way I understand it, George Lucus sued over the "ideas' and they had to do anyway with the first Mechs.

#9 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:10 PM

Consider SRM based brawlers, where you're mostly just aiming center mass.

Lights like the Oxide(inner sphere, pay only) and Jenner IIC(clan, can buy with cbills) packed to the gills with SRM's allow you to get in and out fast and drop really heavy blows.

Mediums like the Stormcrow and griffon can bring a lot of srms (ideally with a couple lasers too), so being twitchy is helpful there too: you don't want to keep looking at your target, keep twisting all the time. Twist to face, fire, twist away. It makes it hard for your opponent to get a good shot on you where he wants it, and precise aim isn't terribly important.

Of course as well, you can try the LRM game. That tends to be pretty successful at entry level play, but doesn't remain so as your opponent's get better.

Finally, also in the missile department is running a streak build. This is pretty much clan only, take something like a stormcrow, give it an Active Probe and a lot of ssrm6's, then allow guided missiles to make aim completely irrelevant. This tends to be very effective vs. lights and mediums,but the random nature of where they hit and the spread tends to mean that while you hit hard, larger mechs will usually crush you by nature of being able to focus their damage while you spread yours everywhere.

The upside to all these approaches is that they're all available to any missile based mech (except the Oxide, only run the quirked srms on it) so it's cheap and easy to experiment.

#10 NTrippy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:11 PM

View PostJables McBarty, on 23 May 2016 - 05:51 PM, said:

I agree with Boogie, Light sounds like a good match for you. You can do your own thing, and get out of trouble when things go sour. And speed is fun. Sometimes at the beginning of a match I'll run circles around our assaults just for the lulz.

People say that Firestarter is "the" light, but I've never piloted one. The other is the Arctic Cheetah, and I've Mastered 3 of those--it's a good chassis.

For aesthetics, Locust is an excellent choice, so is the Jenner. Locust is not forgiving but if you can pilot a Locust, you can pilot anything. Jenners are pretty kick-*** right now. The F and D variants are pretty rocking; if you go for the Oxide (hero variant for real money only) then don't even bother with the S.

If it's not too humanoid for you, the Spider is another favorite of mine.

All around, based on what you're saying, I'd suggest looking at variants that have lots of Energy Hardpoints.

It's not necessary, but I'd also suggest looking for 'mechs that have ECM (ACH, SDR, LCT), as those help you get away when you get into trouble.

I actually do well with the Locust as long as I don't end up in a bad spot. It was the first Light I tried and I was surprised that I was getting kills and surviving. My one hangup with the Locust is the lack of ECM support. For that reason, I was looking at the Raven RVN-3L to outfit for sniping, harassing, or scouting as I see fit. What do you guys think?

Edit:
Forgot to mention that I come from Hawken as a Raider Pilot (close-range burst-assassin, gap-closer, good for running down injured 'Mechs and finishing them off).

Edited by Apsyc, 23 May 2016 - 06:14 PM.

#11 segeri9

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 25 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:23 PM

Just a little heads up in case you weren't aware. Since you mentioned that "lights are cheap", I'd like to warn you about the misconception here. Lights are cheap.... stock. But in order to make it as surviveable as possible, you'll need to upgrade its standard engine into an XL variant (and perhaps even a higher rating of its stock). And more often than not, you also have to upgrade the other parts (e.g. double heatsinks, endo-steel). So all in all, it can cost as much as a heavy, with the big chunk of the price coming from the engine.

with lights, speed is life. So you don't really get as much benefit from using a STD engine. (it can work for some, but that's another story).

Note, this is the case for IS and the Clan Battlemechs but not the Clan Omnimechs since the upgrades come packaged to stock as is.

Edit: on the upside, once you do get that engine for one, you can just transfer it to you other mechs when needed. the most common engines i've used are XL 280 and XL 295 for Lights, and the XL 190 for the tiny lights such as locusts

Edited by segeri9, 23 May 2016 - 06:26 PM.

#12 Anachronda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:57 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 23 May 2016 - 06:09 PM, said:

I do not want to Hi-Jack this thread but I wonder if you know anything about the first BattleMechs. The way I understand it, George Lucus sued over the "ideas' and they had to do anyway with the first Mechs.

Lucas sued because of the name "Battledroids." The Macross folks sued over 'mech designs (see also "unseen mechs").

#13 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:02 PM

Segeri is right about upgrades--most lights need an XL, and most need the Ferro Fibrous and EndoSteel upgrades. Fortunately, you can buy one XL engine and switch it between 'mechs. So when you buy a Jenner, buy one XL300 and move it between 'mechs to save on cash. For the Locust, buy one XL 190 and move it between the 'mechs.

Raven-3L is a great sniper! I've only played the trial version (it was trial up to the latest patch) but it's a solid 'mech, and the Raven chassis is apparently a Top Tier mech.

Just a final plug for the Locust--it is ECM-capable, but it's only the Hero 'mech that can equip one. So you have to pay RL money to get the ECM locust--but it's also the cheapest hero out there!

#14 NTrippy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:17 PM

View PostJables McBarty, on 23 May 2016 - 07:02 PM, said:

Segeri is right about upgrades--most lights need an XL, and most need the Ferro Fibrous and EndoSteel upgrades. Fortunately, you can buy one XL engine and switch it between 'mechs. So when you buy a Jenner, buy one XL300 and move it between 'mechs to save on cash. For the Locust, buy one XL 190 and move it between the 'mechs.

Raven-3L is a great sniper! I've only played the trial version (it was trial up to the latest patch) but it's a solid 'mech, and the Raven chassis is apparently a Top Tier mech.

Just a final plug for the Locust--it is ECM-capable, but it's only the Hero 'mech that can equip one. So you have to pay RL money to get the ECM locust--but it's also the cheapest hero out there!

Yeah aside from being flat broke atm, I also am weary of mircrotransactions after getting boned by developers. Otherwise I'd be all over that. I'm playing with the Locust that's on trial and I'm gettign quite effective at flanking with some other lights and even mediums or at picking off stragglers.

About the Raven, is the RV-3L multifunctional? Can I re-outfit it for scouting and skirmishing/harassing? If so, is it better at boom and zoom or dancing around the enemy?

Edited by Apsyc, 23 May 2016 - 07:18 PM.

#15 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:43 PM

Lights like firestarter, arctic cheetah, jenner can be a ball to play up close with lots of small and med lasers. The Raven is an excellent light that has some really shifty ranged sniper builds but the others can do it too. . As said above A well built effective light can often cost as much or more as a stock heavy or medium mech. Speed is your armor, spreading damage or avoiding it alltogether so don't be predictable because if you get caught once somtimes that is all it takes to die.

Mediums like the cicadas, blackjacks, and shadow cats with ppcs and lasers also Excell at stick and move sniping. Hunchbacks (innersphere and clan versions) are the most varied of all mechs and can carry on one variant or another any weapon in the game and do it effectively. Stormcrows also make great ambush mechs once the heavys and assaults have torn some armor off of the enemy team. While Mediums are the workhorse of tabletop and lore in the Battletech universe, I don't care much for them in MWO. I feel they get the shaft in this game. Mediums with speed make great ambush mechs, but are unfortunately unforgiving if you over commit in multiple enemy situations. Mediums for many players are hit or miss.

Heavys are kind of the backbone of MWO, but the standouts among them are the Warhammer, Maurader, Black Knight, Timberwolf, Ebon Jaguar and Hellbringer. Many build types among all of them but the Black Knight (which is pure energy hardpoints). There are others, but those are the top six, with the thunderbolt being an honorable mention. I can't choose a favorite out of those top 6 though. The hellbringer with ECM makes a great ambush mech. But any of them can do it.

Assaults are common in MWO games , but in battletech they where rare except at installations with a heavy guard presence. Right now kodiaks are all the rage because of the release so games are thick with them right now because the matchmaker has been adjusted to group a higher tonnage for groups in quick play. I can't really choose an assault I like the best as they are VERY unforgiving in drops. Make one wrong turn and you are either late to the fight or you are cut off and destroyed. Don't feel bad if you perform poorly in them as a new pilot. Most people do at first.

Knowing how weapons work will help you find your playstyle so here's a little primer. Someone correct me if I miss something here.please.

Remember that Regular Lasers are hit scan weapons so if your aim is poor they spread damage around evenly where ever the reticle is pointed. Now pulse lasers are more front loaded with their shorter durations, so while they can spread damage still, most of it is going to go in one spot. Lasers have the advantage of being instantaneous, when you fire it, it hits right then. Machine guns work like regular lasers as well. It can look like your missing the target but you are hitting where the reticle is pointed.

Now ballistic weapons like Guass rifles, innersphere ACS and innersphere ppcs are pinpoint, with all damage hitting one area. Clan ACS fire a series of 1 to 5 shells depending on size so they are more like pulse lasers, and clan PPCs have a small part of thier damage " bloom" to areas adjacent of the hit. All ballistic weapons but the Guass have travel times so you have to lead your targets , how much depends on range, target speed, your speed, and the weapons velocity. All but the PPC also take ammo so if your a poor shot then they won't be of much use till you practice some, if you get good with them though it changes the game for you.

LBX ACs, and SRMs are spread damage weapons, the farther away the target the more spread you get. LRMS and SSRMs are lock and fire weapons that will spread damage. But if you have a lock they track the target. Other than certain builds with SRMS I am not a huge fan of this type of weapon. Many new players are not knowledgeable enough to get get into the effective range of SRMS and LBX to make proper use of them and LRMS while they have a huge range require your opponent to make a big mistake in position to be used consistently as a primary weapon.

Hope my rambling helped.

#16 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:20 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 23 May 2016 - 06:09 PM, said:

Im actually VERY familiar with the lineage and history.
The original name of Battletech was "BattleDROIDS."
Lucas sued over the name, that is it.

As far as the Japanese anime connection, that is a whole different story that has been covered extensively on this forum and elsewhere.

If you google "battletech unseen" you should be able to find the complete story.

Again, the article I linked touches upon that topic.

#17 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:30 PM

my advice is to play a good 100 matches first.. Just dropping a couple times in a mech does not mean you will even have a clue how to play it. I've been playing 3 years, and understand the weapons, and how every class plays, and often when i get a new mech it will take me 50+ matches before i find a load out and style that suits me for that mech, and then it takes many more matches to become efficient with it.

So if you are just learning,, give every mech at least 10 drops,, try sticking with the groups too. Faster mechs try to use positional to get behind others,, heavier mechs try to tank, and twist, and use heavier weapons.

As far as what mechs to start with though, I really suggest either Hunchbacks, or shadow hawks, they both can use every weapon in the game, and are solid mechs. HBK's are a bit more tanky, shadow hawks can move faster and have JJ's. Both are very solid starter mechs.

#18 Anachronda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:50 PM

View PostApsyc, on 23 May 2016 - 06:11 PM, said:

I actually do well with the Locust as long as I don't end up in a bad spot. It was the first Light I tried and I was surprised that I was getting kills and surviving. My one hangup with the Locust is the lack of ECM support. For that reason, I was looking at the Raven RVN-3L to outfit for sniping, harassing, or scouting as I see fit. What do you guys think? Edit: Forgot to mention that I come from Hawken as a Raider Pilot (close-range burst-assassin, gap-closer, good for running down injured 'Mechs and finishing them off).

Locust is one of my favorite mechs as well. You might be interested in the Pirate's Bane hero mech. It is the only Locust with ECM, and has been pretty useful for me. There are actually other Locusts whose builds I like a bit better, but if you want ECM in a locust, that's a mech you might try.

View PostJables McBarty, on 23 May 2016 - 07:02 PM, said:

You can also get MC from events, but it may take awhile. At least the Pirate's Bane is not that expensive in MC.

#19 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:39 AM

View PostAnachronda, on 23 May 2016 - 09:50 PM, said:

You can also get MC from events, but it may take awhile. At least the Pirate's Bane is not that expensive in MC.

That's actually how I got mine. I had barely any MC left and then came several events that had MC to win, followed by a 50% sale on the Pirate's Bane. Arrrr, it was a steal matey!

#20 Grinster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 101 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 May 2016 - 02:22 AM

View PostApsyc, on 23 May 2016 - 04:49 PM, said:

I ambush when I aim, as I do not have a steady hand with my mouse. I have trouble focusing, especially under pressure (severe ADD), so I tend to get my crosshairs on target and fire without worrying too much about what I'm hitting (unless it's a stationary target that I can see clearly).

You may have already looked at tuning your setup to give yourself the best possible chance of hitting your target. I'm a neophyte with real-time games in general and MWO in particular. It took me a few hundred games to re-read Page 22 of Kin3ticX's awesome MWO Guide that covers mouse sensitivity. I fixed that and my score instantly rose.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users