62 replies to this topic

#41 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:18 AM

For anyone, if you have ECM which already has half of BAP's benefits, then having BAP as well kinda doesn't have much point Unless you're sniping or in a mech where the weight isn't an issue.

Yes, two ECMs overlapping give each other support, and even if one is on cover (exposing himself), the other's ECM will cloak him.

Your idea has been tried here.

ECM light on counter, ECM light on jam, Streak Catapult.
It has its ups and downs.
Another run of it.

And this is just Raven madness.

"Counter" mode on ECM works on the closest enemy. If you're using Clan Active Probe and ECM... then while you get ECM's crappy counter range, you have Clan Active Probe's Zellbriggen clause -- it will only counter the mech you target and no one else. Another reason why mixing the two is bad. This part doesn't matter if you're Inner Sphere, it'd still counter the closest enemy.

You will never use Counter in no man's land. There is no reason to. The only reason to use it is either to Stop someone else's ECM... or maybe to draw enemies toward you by announcing yourself as a big target "COME GET ME ********!" >.> Something like that.

Use counter to make the enemy's mech targetable when they have ECM. But if you have TAG, then countering via ECM is pretty moot.

#42 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:25 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 25 May 2016 - 09:28 AM, said:

OK. keeping it simple. For a member of a Clan are you saying either ECM or the Clan Probe but not both?

unless you want the other Active Probe effects (extra 200m sensor range, faster target info, detecting shutdown Mechs within, I think, 90m), e.g. ECM scout.

And here is a question I've been wanting to ask in case I EVER get anyone to pair up. If you have two Mechs with ECM and one has his on "counter" and the other on "disrupt" will both be covered by the ECM? What are the pluses and drawbacks to this idea. It this makes a lot of sense but as I'm finding, things do not work as we might think they do

And will any other Mechs within 90m have the same coverage?

yes to both, any Mechs within 90m will be covered by ECM, and 1 enemy ECM within range of the counter ECM will be countered, however ECM on 1 Mech and BAP on the other is a better combo because BAP has a lot more counter ECM range

I'm also noticing that a lot of more experienced players(at least here) are using their ECM in counter mode. The way I understand it, my ECM covers me and anyone close from being picked op on radar and from being targetted. And it being on "counter" nullifies one of the enemy's ECM's.

I assume "counter" works on the closest enemy with ECM. But it there a range limit to this effect?

yes there is a range limit, I think it is 90m, but it has been as much as 180 in the past

When are you most likely to use "counter"? When alone and in "no man's" land. Or when you are with others and you want to make the enemy Mech targetable? I recently tried this on a Light that was in our back and 3-4 of us were trying to kill him and but he was hard to target. And this being Quick Play, about 40,0000 in C-bills worth of LRMs were wasted on him.

I would switch to counter if there was an active enemy ECM within range, or it I wanted to sneak up on an enemy formation, because if you get too close to an enemy Mech with an active ECM they get the low signal icon on there HUD

I'm assuming/hoping that doing that helped but I'm not really sure.

I'm also thinking all of this is used better by Units instead of a collection of random players. I have a Unit that I have my eye on but I want to improve first and although I do finally have my 250 Ton load out for the Clan side but I still need my IS stable.

most units will be happy to take a less experianced player and help you improve

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 25 May 2016 - 10:29 AM.

#43 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:13 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 25 May 2016 - 10:25 AM, said:

I would switch to counter if there was an active enemy ECM within range, or it I wanted to sneak up on an enemy formation, because if you get too close to an enemy Mech with an active ECM they get the low signal icon on there HUD

ECM Cicada. o.O; Demonstrated in animated form.

#44 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:44 AM

Some great info, thanks! And some awesome videos to watch and learn by.

I see now why trying to sneak up always does not work. I tried to look up the "Zellbriggen Clause" here and that took me down a rabbit hole, lol. I also saw where people were getting a bit snippy at each other, lol.

I have set my Kit Fox's ECM to counter and ran out just to be a target for LRMs. I'll take a pot shot at some LRM boats to get their attention and then out dodge or shoot down their LRMs. I know I do not earn any XP or C-bills doing it but IMO, taking away their missiles and taking away fire coming down on my teammates is a plus.

As far as joining a Unit, I want to wait till June when I get new glasses due to my eye surgery. I'll be able to play better and to read a lot more. Right now after a while I get nauseated. And I want to work on my skills trees and my own skills. I also wanted to do some Quick Play because the only thing I was doing is invasions. And my record in them is horrible. But in all the Quick Play modes I have a winning record except for one.

Can you run a Quick Play mission with either an LFG group or a Unit? I've never seen it but I'm not sure if it happens or not.

Ebon and SWOL of the Wolf Clan have allowed me to run with them a few times and I find that just listening on TS can bring in a lot of helpful Info.

I'm in a Unit of...one. Basically to let others know that the short, quicker version of LikeUntoGod is "LUG". LOL, Years ago I could google LikeUntoGod and I'd come up. I've been thinking about starting a Facebook page and calling ourselves "The Other Guys". Basically to keep in touch like we do in our Madden Leagues. I've made a decent amount of friends but it is hard to find anywhere where we can talk etc. A few times some of us in faction chat have tried to form a group but we never seem to be able to get over 6 players.

And btway, Like Unto God is simply one meaning of my name, Michael.

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 25 May 2016 - 11:46 AM.

#45 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:07 PM

The LFG button allows you to group up for Community Warfare, or Quickplay missions. Should you be ina group however, your quickplay matches'll only be pair up with other groups. Tends to add a bit o wait time, and the matches'll often be harder cuz you'll run into more team player, and teamwork is OP.

That said, if your into that kinda gameplay, it can also be alot more fun.

~Leone.

#46 Jyi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:36 PM

View PostApsyc, on 24 May 2016 - 04:17 PM, said:

Okay so the Raven is not working out for me. I can't load it up in a way that fits how I like to play. Waste of 12m, but live and learn, eh? I'm looking at the Locust again, but I don't but until I trial it enough to KNOW it's what I want. No more blind buys.

I hope you didn't give up on the Raven just yet. I'll give you a very special build that will make you rethink it.

Now this isn't a meta-build, but I've used it in T2-T1 pug matches VERY effectively. I adjusted the engine from my own XL 295 to your XL 290, but you should really go for the XL 295, since it weighs the same. XL 290 is kinda useless.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d0c03ff10a25c6d

Yes, that's a 3 med pulse 3L. And yes, it works.

Playstyle is all about teamwork. You either go with other lights and provice ECM coverage and support vs. other lights with your med pulses, then advance to assault's rear and core them with pulses and SRM. Or you stay with your heavy hitters and provide ECM coverage and support.

However, when the battle escalates, you can do excellent harassing. Quick zoom and boom -gameplay, peeking, and attacking the enemy rear. ECM makes you elusive, speed and firepower are relatively high.

It doesn't duel other lights as well as Arctic Cheetahs, Firestarters, Wolfhounds or Jenner IIC's do. It doesn't snipe at all. But it's surprisingly good at brawling compared to the 3L 2x ERLL -builds and it still has the ECM.

Edited by Jyi, 25 May 2016 - 05:01 PM.

#47 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:22 AM

Three mpl demonstrated.

This is the spider. But effectively the same thing. First kill is afk, rest are assault mechs.

#48 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:40 AM

View PostLeone, on 25 May 2016 - 12:07 PM, said:

The LFG button allows you to group up for Community Warfare, or Quickplay missions. Should you be ina group however, your quickplay matches'll only be pair up with other groups. Tends to add a bit o wait time, and the matches'll often be harder cuz you'll run into more team player, and teamwork is OP. That said, if your into that kinda gameplay, it can also be alot more fun. ~Leone.

So it is possible. But we will face other groups including set Units. And it will take longer...

I'd still be up for it because we can talk and plan etc.

When I get home today I'm going to look up facebook sites. One problem is that being a Clan member, the only chat I have is faction chat and there is not a lot of us. I do not know of a way to reach the other 96% of players. There has to be somehow that the rest of us can network.

I went ahead and did a call to arms on an invasion and it was the normal horror. I was tired but I should have been more assertive. Me and another guy tried a little but everyone semi did their own thing. And this map I know so I should have tried but...I was an Army Officer and I can get a tad steamed if people do not listen.

Invasions are taking 30-40 minutes with almost no chance of even coming close to winning. On my last three, I was the only player to even shoot a Gen. Quick Play is much faster with a much better chance of winning. You can do 3-4 QP's for each invasion.

I'm going to keep studying the maps and taking notes when I'm able to run with the only two units I know who are good at this. My next stepping stone will simply ask everyone to wait two minutes to set and talk. The almost total lack of patience is so annoying.

I need to take a few days off to rest my eyes then I really need to start studying the suggested Mech builds. Mine can get borderline stupid.

#49 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:04 AM

Looking for the group took a smidge longer, but once I had a group the drops were pretty near instant minus waiting for that one guy to ready up to launch.

It is considerably harder than solo play however.

#50 NTrippy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:13 AM

View PostJyi, on 25 May 2016 - 04:36 PM, said:

Playstyle is all about teamwork.

It's funny that yu say that, bucause I keep getting called a "noob" for trying to play as a team. I play LRM to support pokers, get called a noob for being an LRM boat. Snipe with a Raven to soften armor for the brawlers, get called a noob for staying away fromt he fight.

It seems I only have "acceptable behavior" when I'm using Energy or Ballistics to poke or brawl Posted Image Is this something I can continue to expect?

#51 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:19 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 25 May 2016 - 10:25 AM, said:

most units will be happy to take a less experianced player and help you improve

Something I'm going to quote and comment on, just for emphasis.

There are some units in MWO that are only interested in very strong players, but by a huge margin the majority of units are more than happy to take a new player who knows absolutely nothing and teach them how to play. We were all new once, after all, and we all know how steep the learning curve can be.

As well, from the unit's perspective, then you get someone who's only way of doing things in the game is your way, so they automatically fit in well with how your guys fight.

#52 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:26 AM

View PostApsyc, on 26 May 2016 - 11:13 AM, said:

It's funny that yu say that, bucause I keep getting called a "noob" for trying to play as a team. I play LRM to support pokers, get called a noob for being an LRM boat. Snipe with a Raven to soften armor for the brawlers, get called a noob for staying away fromt he fight.

It seems I only have "acceptable behavior" when I'm using Energy or Ballistics to poke or brawl Posted Image Is this something I can continue to expect?

Well, you're in the noob tier, being new to the game. What this means is it's full of people who are actually new and also don't know anything, and also people who are so bad at the game they linger there.

So, take what you hear with a grain of salt.

With that said:

A common failing of people wanting to "support" is that they don't actually support enough. You'll know, because if you're taking roles like you've outlined above, you should be at least matching the damage everyone else on your team does as you're fighting without direct opposition. If you're not doing that, then you need to do more: either you're too far back, you're hiding too much, you're just not able to push enough fire out; whatever the reason, you need to fix that.

It's extremely frustrating for players who are up front (and there always needs to be a majority of players up front) taking damage and dying, just to find out that there's some guys in the back who're fresh (and could have drawn some fire themselves), who also failed to do any significant amount of damage.

Finally, it's tempting to want to rambo it, and call what you're doing "support" and "teamwork". But success (as a team) in MWO means maximizing all your resources, and that includes armor. If the opposing force has one mech to fire at, that one mech is dying fast. If they have four mechs to fire at, they'll tend to spread their fire and none of the four mechs die. So, doing those things can be useful and effective, it's a very thin line between useful and effective and hiding and accomplishing nothing.

#53 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:41 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 26 May 2016 - 05:40 AM, said:

So it is possible. But we will face other groups including set Units. And it will take longer...

I'd still be up for it because we can talk and plan etc.

When I get home today I'm going to look up facebook sites. One problem is that being a Clan member, the only chat I have is faction chat and there is not a lot of us. I do not know of a way to reach the other 96% of players. There has to be somehow that the rest of us can network.

I myself am still figuring out the social curve at MWO, and I've been pretty active for 6 months. It also doesn't help that I'm a little group-shy (I hate joining groups, but like meeting people). However I have found that the Faction Chat in FW is the closest you'll get to an in-game, large-base chat mode.

At the very least, the third-party program TeamSpeak is a must for socializing in MWO:

http://mwomercs.com/...then-look-here/

^Not sure about the rest of the content on that link, but the TS3 download is still good.

If you are doing FW, you can usually find that faction's TeamSpeak server listed in the FW forums: http://mwomercs.com/...7-faction-play/

Example: House Davion http://mwomercs.com/...ion-ts3-server/

^So whenever you are fighting for that faction, hop onto the TS and ask around, join a LFG lobby on that TS, etc.

Last, if you are looking to try out several different units, post in the Hiring Hall: http://mwomercs.com/...94-hiring-hall/

I posted there on behalf of me and my three (real-life, childhood) friends and had an overwhelmingly friendly response. Because of that group-shyness aforementioned, I've yet to follow through on 2/3 of these invitations (which are getting stale now to the tune of several months), but if you are gung-ho, this is the way to go.

#54 Jyi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:05 PM

View PostApsyc, on 26 May 2016 - 11:13 AM, said:

Ah, the LRM's. I'll say it here: it is a weapon you should try to avoid.

No matter what people say, LRM's are the worst "primary" weapon in the game. There are only two weapons that are more situational and less useful in general: machine guns and flamers. But they are support weapons, and they should only be equipped to complement other weapons.

Anyways, back to LRM's. The problem with them is that they have so narrow usefulness. They have so many prerequisites that need to be filled before they start being useful. Firstly, they are garbage without Artemis-upgrade, so you need to buy that. Secondly, you need an active probe (beagle or clan), so locking on targets doesn't take ages. Thirdly, you need a TAG-lasered or NARCed target. And finally, you should have straight line-of-sight, because otherwise Artemis does not give its benefits.

Considering this all, you need to adopt a playstyle where you seek to have a straight line-of-sight to your enemy, but you can't duel someone with LRM's, because you will always lose. You also can not commit to only LRM's, you must have a secondary weapon, and it must pack enough punch. Otherwise you will sooner or later be torn apart by someone in close quarters combat.

So, before you even click the "quick play" -button, you need to consider the meta-game of "what kind of a mech can fulfill these requirements?". Lights are instantly out, because they don't have the tonnage to wield the weapons you want. Assaults are also out, because they don't have the maneuverability to dictate the range of the engagement. You are left with either heavies or mediums, and out of those, you should choose one that has quirks for LRM's. Mediums obviously work best with smaller LRM-packs and lasers, because they don't have the weight to carry anything else. This will make them hot to play, though, because lasers usually require lots of heat sinks, and the LRM's create some heat too. Some heavies have enough missile slots to have room for both LRM's and SRM's, and a couple of them work well in that manner.

After all this meta-game work, once you get into a match, even if you play as well as you possibly can, you still can not decide which part of the enemy mech your LRM's hit. They will simply hit according to the statistics of the game at hand, and you can't do anything about it. A lot, if not most, of your damage will be wasted on non-critical parts.

This is why LRM's are poor in this game, and this is why you should avoid using them.

How about sniping with the ERLL-Raven? This is a little bit more complicated, but the most common mistake many people make is just staying as far away from the enemy as possible, behind their allies, and poking and sniping every now and then. I guess their line of thought is "Because I have ECM and long range in a lightly armored and fast mech, I should just avoid the enemy as best as possible, because I am hard to find". Wrong! This kind of playstyle will often result in the sniper-Raven being the last one alive with an undamaged mech and little to average damage done. If the friendly team is decent and the enemy team is just slightly better, this playstyle may result in epic 5v1 endings where the Raven picks off critically damaged enemy mechs one by one and wins the game. However, this playstyle does not create steady and solid results, it's too random.

Good sniper-Ravens provide support, do scouting and create confusion. One way is to stay with your team to a certain point, providing ECM and covering against enemy lights. This creates solid results, but does not utilize your mechs strengths to the fullest. Another way is to go scout with other light mechs and give them ECM and support, but it may leave your assaults open to enemy lights, so the rest of your team needs to know what they are doing. Scouting and flanking the enemy utilizes the Raven's strengths much better.

Once the engagement starts, what a good Raven wants to do is create pressure and confusion in the enemy team. Get into a position where you can shoot enemies even if they have cover from your main force. Try to provide pin-point shots on enemies that your friends are also shooting, try to finish off critical enemies that have cover from your main force. And of course, provide information by targeting the enemies and - if you have the cbills - by dropping a UAV behind them.

If the game is very passive and both teams are just hiding in cover, shoot the enemy in the back and create a distraction. Even better, try to coordinate a backstab on the enemy with other lights and have your main force push the enemy after they have turned to chase you.

This all takes a lot of concentration, patience and skill, but it will pay off. However, you can not carry your team by doing this, and if your team is full of braindead people, you will keep losing and the team will blame you, because they do not understand what you are doing. Welcome to Mechwarrior Online!

Edited by Jyi, 26 May 2016 - 07:10 PM.

#55 NTrippy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:57 PM

So I'm going to hold off on a Locust until I can play with other variants, since the one on trial is all medium lasers. However, I have found that I really like the Orion on trial for a brawler role. So I bought an Orion ON1-V and set it up as so. I also added a SRM4 Range 5 module, which does help so far, and I like the overall performance. If anyone wants to suggest a change, I'm all ears.
Posted Image

#56 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 08:21 PM

At least IMHO, go with that you feel is right. We can only point suggestions but don't take them to heart necessarily.

What I mean is, if someone disagrees with your build and says "PPCs and Gauss are far more superior" (also A.K.A. meta builds... if it's still meta, something like that), don't be swayed by such criticism.

I'm going to only focus on your lay-out and include some couple tips to raise your combat ability in-game.

Firstly, put your ammo at your legs. All ammo, except for gauss ammo, will explode causing internal damage to your mech. Try to cram all of the ammo at your legs. This is especially important if you are running XL and IMO is pretty much important in all builds because having an ammo blown while losing a torso can mean a big deal. For example, if you had a HBK-4G with all the ammo placements on the right torso, one unlucky hit on your right torso thus damaging the ammo will explode possibly crippling your weapons or even worse, your entire right torso.

Having a leg blown off is much better than a mech, with XL engine, side torso blown off.

Beside your legs, you can put some in the head as it's relatively hard to hit at times.

You can put a C.A.S.E to minimize ammo explosions. I'm not too well-depth with CASEs, if someone can shed some light, that be nice.

Secondly, be mindful of the amount of ammo you need. IMO, you only really need 2 stacks of AC/10s. 30 shells (2 stacks of AC/10 ammo) per match should be more than enough.

SRM ammo as well. 2 stacks should be more than enough. If you are using SRM6s, then 3 stacks would probably suit the capacity.

Thirdly, big rule of thumb when it comes to saving weight. Do not use Ferro Fibirious over Endo-steel. This is a big no no. Endo-steel gives you exceptionally more tonnage to use over Ferro- Fibirious and both only consumes 14 critical slots but the benefits are huge.

FF only becomes useful for mechs with relatively low tonnages such as lights and mediums. To give some example, consider the CN9-YLW. With only four hard points consisted of two ballistics and two energy, you really cannot use up anymore critical slots. The two ballistics hard points on the arm can only use 10 critical slots. Even worse, the two energy hard points on the center torso only allows for only TWO critical slots thus limiting the energy weaponry up to only a single Large Laser.

Please see this for example.

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...927e03ef704fa44[/smurfy]

In such build, the YLW is a definite candidate for using FF.

Fourthly, DHS is always a must in every mech build (unless you convince me with a build that SHS is better than DHS, but that requires a very large quantity of SHS to work... actually ignore this. I'm just wondering if Koniving will pop up.) I see you got DHS upgraded which is great! However, always stack DHS into the engine first. Occupying the heat-sink socket in the engine frees up critical slots.

As in many builds, sometimes the difference between an alive mech verses a dead and over-heated mech is really the number of heat sinks it has. Until your basic mech skills have been researched, you might need more DHS.

Fifthly, be mindful of the amount of the amount of missiles you can release per volley. Some mechs only allow for fewer than the weapon gives to unleash volleys of missiles. This impacts LRMs especially ones that fire a lot more per volley.

For example, have a look at this Cataphract CTF-2X build.

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b2dfadc0fd9436a[/smurfy]

Let's say, for example, I want to make the CTF-2X a missiles boat. The CTF-2X would be the candidate of all Cataphracts to be able to use LRMs since it's the only variant that can use missiles. Some Large Lasers for mid to close range fights and a TAG for LRMing at enemies more precisely.

Notice on the left arm I have a LRM 20 and a LRM 15 and that the CTF-2X has 2 M (6x2). What does this mean?

The first missile weapon, which is the LRM 20, will only fire 6 missiles per volley. Then the next 6, and then the next 6 and finally the last 2 missiles. The same applies for the second missile weapon too except it's a LRM 15 because of critical slots restrictions. So for the second missile weapon, it will fire 6, then 6 and then 3 missiles.

Note that both weapons can be fired at the same time so theoretically speaking, you are unleashing 12 missiles on the first volley, 12 missiles on the second volley, 9 missiles on the third volley and finally 2 missiles on the last volley.

Now this is just an example. The CTF-2X is not a worthy candidate for LRM boating. Missile hardpoints are on the low slung arms (makes it hard to sometimes LRM as obstacles would interfere thus requiring you to make space e.g. back up from cover to LRM) and only 6 missiles per volley (which is easy picking for AMSs) are reasons why it's not "good" for LRM-ing.

Instead, those 2 missiles hard points are perfect for SRMs, fits the amount of volleys requires and SRMs generally require you to be in closer range, thus also regarded as brawling weapons.

Speaking of missiles, some mechs have missile "doors", basically are covers to protect that area of the mech. You can open and close it with the '/'.

Difference between the two?

Doors open = faster firing rate, less protection for that location

Doors closed = slower/delayed firing, more protection for that location when shut.

I hope this helps.

Edited by ZeProme, 26 May 2016 - 08:50 PM.

#57 Jyi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:50 PM

View PostApsyc, on 26 May 2016 - 07:57 PM, said:

So I'm going to hold off on a Locust until I can play with other variants, since the one on trial is all medium lasers. However, I have found that I really like the Orion on trial for a brawler role. So I bought an Orion ON1-V and set it up as so. I also added a SRM4 Range 5 module, which does help so far, and I like the overall performance. If anyone wants to suggest a change, I'm all ears.

Not too bad build, but could use some improvement, I think.

I'd rather go with something along these lines:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...122105e9435e02c

"Why?" you ask. Well, the V-variant is quirked more towards UAC5's, with its -30% jam chance. In an ideal situation, I'd get a bigger engine in the mech, but since engines are very expensive, I've made this kind of build with your engine in mind.

Your current build has CASE, which is kind of a waste of tonnage, it has too much ammunition for your weapons and it lacks the critically needed armor of a brawler. AMS is also kind of situational, and not that useful in a brawl.

So, with my build you'd be trading the pretty much useless CASE, extra ammunition, AMS and AC10 to a couple UAC5's and extra armor. Your alpha strike damage would stay the same, but your dps would increase a lot from having 2 UAC5's in your mech. UAC5's are not exactly great for brawling, but in this case I think they would be better than a single AC10.

As a tip: In inner sphere mechs, put your ammunition in head, CT and legs. Head because it's pretty hard to hit, CT because you pretty much die anyways if you get hit there hard, and legs because you don't die if your ammo explodes there. This way you don't need CASE.

A second tip: Always have maximum armor in CT and side torsoes. Always. In light mechs, also have maximum armor in legs, and in mechs with lots of weapons in arms, have maximum armor in arms.

A third tip: Always take the Endo-Steel upgrade over Ferro Fibrous. Endo-Steel will always give more weight than Ferro Fibrous.

2 or 3 tons of ammunition for 3x SRM4 is pretty decent. Two tons gives about 16 shots, and you generally don't get to spend that much in a brawler. 4 tons of ammo for 2x UAC5's may be a bit too much, but they spend a lot more ammo. 2 to 3 tons of ammo for a single AC10 is also enough, you don't get to spend that much. As an example, AC20 requires a bit more, maybe up to 4 tons, since it only gets 7 shots per ton.

If you like brawling and get better at it, you may want to look again at upgrading that engine to a bigger one. Speed is pretty much the name of the game nowadays.

At least IMHO, go with that you feel is right. We can only point suggestions but don't take them to heart necessarily.

I am mostly in agreement, but there are certain things that are simply better and worse. Not saying a certain playstyle is better or worse in pugs, but for example a mech full of machine guns and nothing else is objectively worse than a proper mech with ballistics or lasers. And by this logic, certain builds are objectively better for certain roles.

Edited by Jyi, 26 May 2016 - 09:56 PM.

#58 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:33 AM

I should note trial mechs are champion builds only you won't see other variants.

#59 NTrippy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:42 AM

View PostKoniving, on 27 May 2016 - 02:33 AM, said:

I should note trial mechs are champion builds only you won't see other variants.

Oh bogus! Do they think that makes me more inclined to spend money? Because it doesn't.

#60 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:33 PM

View PostApsyc, on 27 May 2016 - 11:42 AM, said:

Oh bogus! Do they think that makes me more inclined to spend money? Because it doesn't.

Nope. The issue rests with the fact that most mechs are stock Battletech builds.

However with the way MWO is built, pure battle tech stock mechs are very, very gimped. This has an issue with the 'interpretation from tabletop to real time with PGI's vision rather than a real-time translation.
Imagine entering a match with for example.. medium mech going 64 kph a single autocannon, 2 tons of ammo (10 uses or 14 in MWO) and 2 medium lasers with a single small laser, 320 (160 battle tech) armor... with only 44 front CT armor. And can overheat within 3 uses of its weapons within about 9 seconds (though the exact same load out in Battletech would require them to be used 8 times in succession to overheat...admittedly it'd take 80 seconds to reach overheat and deliver the damage that same mech does in MWO in 24-28 seconds).

Yeah. Btw that still worked great in 2012 but now, that thing would be destroyed the instant it walked out of cover for too long.

It's an issue of translation-interpretation and mechanic choices. Regular stock mechs don't blend well with what has been done.

Edited by Koniving, 31 May 2016 - 10:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users