Make It Easier To Detect Inactive Unit Players

10 replies to this topic

#1 northpow

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:18 PM

I don't have full access to my unit's current info, but my impression is that it is a lot of guesswork determining which players are active vs passive.

This was not a problem before, but it is *definitely* a problem now that inviting new players requires ever-increasing C-Bills. A unit can't afford to operate without eliminating nonparticipants.

So I think unit leaders need access to some information:
- How many days since last login
- How many days since last Faction Warfare match
- Total CBills contributed to the unit (fair's fair: if somebody has contributed a lot, cut them some slack)

Other details might be helpful, but I think these are the main ones.

EDIT: To be fair, sometimes just being a really good Mechwarrior is what matters. Some people contribute not with CBills but with kills. Still, I think it is already possible to look this up on the leaderboard.

Edited by northpow, 23 May 2016 - 05:21 PM.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:46 PM

i dont understand why this is hard at all. all you need to do is store the date and time that the last game took place. if you havent played a single fw game in a certain amount of time (say 1 week) you are considered inactive. you dont need to consider logons or number of games played, just the amount of time since your last actual fw drop.

its also really hard to measure because there are times i want to play fw but all the queues are empty. so you might want to measure the amount of time the player sat in queues trying but failing to play fw. this lets you flag players who want to play and who have played. this should give you more than enough data to figure out how to balance factions. more importantly trying to figure out how to get those players who want to play but cant into games.

Edited by LordNothing, 23 May 2016 - 08:48 PM.

#3 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:43 AM

Hell just showing everyone in the unit that information wouldn't really be that bad would it?

#4 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:52 PM

View PostDarth Futuza, on 24 May 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

Hell just showing everyone in the unit that information wouldn't really be that bad would it?

I agree it should be shown.
Games I've played have either the last date each friend logged in or the number of days offline.
Alternatively some games show it in the guild/clan/society/team/unit.

#5 northpow

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:20 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 23 May 2016 - 08:46 PM, said:

i dont understand why this is hard at all. all you need to do is store the date and time that the last game took place. if you havent played a single fw game in a certain amount of time (say 1 week) you are considered inactive. you dont need to consider logons or number of games played, just the amount of time since your last actual fw drop.

This doesn't make much sense. How can the unit leaders know the FP history of every member? What about games that happen while the leaders are offline? Is there a game history that I don't know of?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think you were saying you don't understand why this would be hard for PGI to do. So then I agree :)

Edited by northpow, 26 May 2016 - 05:31 PM.

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:09 PM

View Postnorthpow, on 26 May 2016 - 05:20 PM, said:

This doesn't make much sense. How can the unit leaders know the FP history of every member? What about games that happen while the leaders are offline? Is there a game history that I don't know of?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think you were saying you don't understand why this would be hard for PGI to do. So then I agree Posted Image

i know i may be asking too much of pgi. it requires a conditional with to operators in it. that may be beyond their skill set.

#7 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:02 AM

Yeah, unit management tools are lacking. That needs to be dealt with. Seriously, the unit thing has been in-game for OVER TWO YEARS. Unit leaders need the tools to MANAGE their populations without having to go outside the game client to do it, or AT WORST, they should have to go no further than mwomercs.com.

Kinda ridiculous, really, that it hasn't been dealt with already.

#8 Aylward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 606 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:32 AM

Amen....

Join date, Last login, Last Faction Play game, # of FP games in last 30 days. Cbills donated to date.... all good info a unit leader at least should have access to minimum...

#9 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:33 AM

It took PGI 16 months form when CW dropped to make the unit roster sortable. Even longer when you consider the 'unit' functionality was inserted earlier that fall.

I don't expect a 'last logged on' option to be available before 2017, but Russ has said that unit leaders that contact him can be provided that information.

#10 Aylward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 606 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:37 AM

he said that, but he never came thru with it for anyone but MS i heard... I sure didnt get a response to several inquiries at that time.

#11 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:17 PM

View PostKael Posavatz, on 27 May 2016 - 07:33 AM, said:

I don't expect a 'last logged on' option to be available before 2017

I'll gamble and say in place by summer 2018??? Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users