• Ace Of Spades
  • 18 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:23 AM

Hello cmdrs,

I really enjoy the game but i have not so much time to play
so i'm planning to buy a pack, with 30d premium time and 1 hero mech
to maximize the rewards.

I already own a Maraured 3D and i enjoy it (also 3 cathaprac with Ilia)
i want to take a heavy or assault (better this)

marauder premium pack (35$)
(what happen if i get this? i will have 2 MAD3D? is that possible ?)

Warhammer premium pack (35$)
(another heavy, mmm)

Battlemaster mastery pack (35$)
(but im not sure is a good choice)

Kodiak premium pack (35$)
(i really enjoy this idea, but is a clan mech and all other mechs that i own are IS)

or what else?

Thank you in advance for you support.

Max

#2 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:45 AM

View PostMadMax71, on 24 May 2016 - 05:23 AM, said:

marauder premium pack (35$)
(what happen if i get this? i will have 2 MAD3D? is that possible ?)

Yes, you would get the 1 from the pack, plus the one you already have. You can own as many of the same mech chassis and variant as you want as long as you have the bays for them.

Clan vs IS mechs in your stable only really matters in Faction play. I own several chassis from both sides.

All of the mechs you listed as possibilities are good choices from what I know. The Marauder is a great mech from owning all but the hero myself. The Warhammer also consistently gets good reviews from just about everyone. Kodiaks haven't been out long, but most of what I've heard about them is pretty good. The Battlemaster is an older mech in the game, but still holds up well.

It will still be 2 more months before it comes into the game, but there is also the option of the Cyclops pack, although the early adopter rewards on it ended 3 days ago. The Night Gyr is still in early adopter time frame for the extra goodies and is also an assault if you want to wait a couple months to actually get the mech.. The mech after the Night Gyr should be announced and available for order soon as well. if that ends up being one you are interested in, the early adopter rewards add some bang for your buck on those packages.

Another option I would recommend is the Resistance 2 packs for IS. Those mechs don't have heros or Champion builds yet, but are all solid mechs. Each chassis does come with its main variant with a 30% C-Bill boost like a hero would have anyway. It is pricier to get the larger packages (to get heavies and assaults) but still $80 gets you 12 mechs (4 with 30% CBill bonus) and 12 mechbays. Speaking from experience, they are ALL good mechs, although they are all energy boats except for the Mauler.

Edited by LadyDanams, 24 May 2016 - 11:39 AM.

#3 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:46 AM

Yes, if you buy a pack which has a mech you already own, you will indeed have two of that model. So if you buy the Marauder Pack you will have two Ds.

Can't go wrong with the Hammers. If you like Phracts, Hammers can do similar or better builds (especially in the BW).

Other contenders for a mastery pack, that you might want to consider, particularly if you are thinking of every doing FP, would be a T-Bolt (great all a rounder), Jagger (excellent build variety especially on Hot maps), and Quickdraw (IV-4 is often scoffed at but 2AC10 build is great on hot maps, and the other two are excellent). A bit lighter is the Griffin pack. Good mechs plus you have something here you can do scouting mode in.

#4 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:46 AM

Everything your cataphracts do, mauraders do better. And yes you would end up with 2 3Ds. Can sell one or keep them both. Up to you.

Warhammers are solid mechs and the hero is really nice. kodiaks are not bad at all either, but the hero spirit bear is lackluster to me.

I can't speak for battlemasters, I didn't buy them cause I think they are ugly lol

#5 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:56 AM

I don't want to dissuade you from the Kodiak pack--I have it and it is excellent (as is the MAD pack)--but keep in mind that while there's nothing preventing you from getting both IS and Clan mechs, it does require a certain duplication of purchases.

Example: You have ERPPCs on your MAD-3M. You want to do a PPC build on your Kodiak? Gotta buy new C-ERPPCs (600,000 Cbills a pop). But if you buy the Battlemaster, you can just pull those IS ERPPCs off the Marauder and slap them on the BLR no problem.

I started out with both tech bases from the get-go, but I also had a lot of spare time to pour into the game (not least b/c I started during the holiday break). If you are trying to conserve resources, I'd suggest sticking with a tech base for a while until you have a solid stockpile of spare parts. Then start building a stockpile in the other tech base.

#6 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:15 AM

Warhammer.
Marauders are great, but the the Warhammer offers more build variety.

Or if you really want something different from what you already have, get the Kodiak.

Only reason I would say hold off on mixing Clan and IS in your stable is if you are really intent on making the best showing in FW asap. In which case, you want to focus on mastering a solid deck and modules.

#7 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:44 AM

View PostLadyDanams, on 24 May 2016 - 05:45 AM, said:

Another option I would recommend is the Resistance 2 packs for IS. Those mechs don't have heros or Champion builds yet, but are all solid mechs. Each chassis does come with its main variant with a 30% C-Bill boost like a hero would have anyway. It is pricier to get the larger packages (to get heavies and assaults) but still $80 gets you 12 mechs (4 with 30% CBill bonus) and 12 mechbays. Speaking from experience, they are ALL good mechs, although they are all energy boats except for the Mauler.

I've been looking at this one.

#8 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:54 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 24 May 2016 - 06:44 AM, said:

If you are willing to pay the cash, it is a def a good pack.

#9 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:01 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 24 May 2016 - 06:44 AM, said:

View PostBoogie138, on 24 May 2016 - 06:54 AM, said:

If you are willing to pay the cash, it is a def a good pack.

Resistance 2 is very solid. And, amazingly, 2/4 chassis have CB bonus on the strongest variant. The only downside is that you better like lasers since all but the Mauler literally have only energy hard points.

EDIT: (deleted I was wrong)

Edited by TercieI, 24 May 2016 - 07:06 AM.

#10 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:32 AM

This turned out longer than expected, my recommendation is at the end.

The Warhammer is a very solid performer, based on most commentary I've read. Its hero is one of the better-reputed ones as well. Marauder has nearly as good a reputation generally, some prefer it for being hard to kill.

The Battlemaster is a solid performer for most variants (some are great), but its hero variant isn't among its best performing variants. The hero's not exactly bad, it's just not one of the top 5 best variants on its own chassis.

Kodiaks are popular right now, but the advice about managing cost and time by sticking to one tech base is sound. Refitting Clan mechs can get expensive, regardless of whether it's an Omni or a Battlemech.

I'll second the advice on the Thunderbolt Mastery Bundle. They're not as good as they were, but they're still very solid.

I'll add that the Blackjacks are great machines, still one of the best chassis in the game, despite being "only" 45 tons. Thunderbolts and Blackjacks together make for a very solid Faction Play dropdeck. Anything, together with Blackjacks, makes a great Faction Play deck.

Recommendation: Get your Warhammer or Marauder pack, then consider getting Blackjacks, either as a Mastery Bundle or with c-bills. That will open up lots of possibilities for group play for you by giving you lots of options with good mechs.

#11 MadMax71

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 18 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:06 AM

Thank you all for your reply.

Two more question,

1) how is the Black Knight? Is it a good mech,
and in comparison with the Warhammer is competitive?

2) My personal idea is to buy the Marauder or the Warhammer pack (im not sure if is better as hero, the Bounty hunter or the Black widow, and i never tried the warhammer)
and after buy with c-bills the Black Knight and the Mauler.
Also considering my actual collection (3 cathaprac with Ilya, 1 MAD-3D, 1 Centurion, 1 Stalker, 1 Black Knight) what you think about this plan?

Have fun and take it easy

Max

Edited by MadMax71, 25 May 2016 - 02:15 AM.

#12 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:11 AM

View PostMadMax71, on 25 May 2016 - 02:06 AM, said:

Two more question,

2) My personal idea is to buy the Marauder or the Warhammer pack (im not sure if is better as hero, the Bounty hunter or the Black widow, and i never tried the warhammer)
Also considering my actual collection (3 cathaprac with Ilya, 1 MAD-3D, 1 Centurion, 1 Stalker, 1 Black Knight) what you think about this plan?

Max

1) BL-KNT is arguably the best heavy in the game, might've said best variant until the KDK-3 came out. The WHM has advantages in that its mounts are higher, but the BL-KNT is five tons heavier and has amazing quirks and excellent hitboxes.

2) I'd say the Black Widow is better than the Bounty Hunter, but it's a close thing. The BW's dakka is actually showing up in high level comp, but for PUGging, all lasers on the BH2 might be superior. Both are worth having and either the best (BH2) or sorta tied (BW/6D) variants of their chassis.

So your plan is to buy MADs, WHMs, BL-KNTs and MALs? Yeah, those are very solid choices, stronger than anything else in your garage.

#13 MadMax71

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 18 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:07 AM

View PostTercieI, on 25 May 2016 - 05:11 AM, said:

1) BL-KNT is arguably the best heavy in the game, might've said best variant until the KDK-3 came out. The WHM has advantages in that its mounts are higher, but the BL-KNT is five tons heavier and has amazing quirks and excellent hitboxes.

2) I'd say the Black Widow is better than the Bounty Hunter, but it's a close thing. The BW's dakka is actually showing up in high level comp, but for PUGging, all lasers on the BH2 might be superior. Both are worth having and either the best (BH2) or sorta tied (BW/6D) variants of their chassis.

So your plan is to buy MADs, WHMs, BL-KNTs and MALs? Yeah, those are very solid choices, stronger than anything else in your garage.

YES that is the plan ;)
Thank you for you reply mate.

#14 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:12 AM

Well, personally i would say the shadow hawk package is a great pack. Great flexible mediums, and it comes with 2 great XL engines. It will help out a drop deck if you get into faction war, and let you play the 4v4 FW as well for scouting mode. Just all around very good mechs, with a nice hero..

Seeing you have cataphracts and the Ilya which i think is a wonderful hero, i say skip heavy packs for now especially seeing you already bought one of the heavies out of one of the packs you were talking about, id say just save some c-bills as you grind another pack, and pick up the other 2.

My advice on a Assault pack is the stalker. The 3F is one of the better mechs in the game., The 5M is a nasty SRM+lasers boat, and the misery is by far has been of one of the most solid hero performers since stalkers showed up 3 years ago. It has also been one of the few mechs that has been at or near the top since they launched. All of um can run SRM's or LRM's, and a bunch of lasers, be it MLs, MPLs, LLs, ERLLs, LPLs, ect.. and the misery is the one stalker that can load up a gauss or an ac-20. They tank like champs, are fast and mobile, and really do everything you could possibly want in an assault.

#15 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:04 AM

Two more question,

Max

I have Marauder pack (with Bounty Hunter hero), Warhammer pack (with Black Widow) and Kodiak pack (with Spirit Bear).
Marauder and Warhammer are strong mechs. Marauder has good structure quirks and hitboxes and it's very tough. It's more an assault than a heavy in terms of toughness.
Warhammer seems more versatile in my opinion. I use the hero with 2 UAC5, 2LL and 2ML with an XL300 and it's very effective build. The 6D is a very strong laser boat.
The Kodiak are very fun mechs to play, but I agree with Jables consideration:

View PostJables McBarty, on 24 May 2016 - 05:56 AM, said:

I don't want to dissuade you from the Kodiak pack--I have it and it is excellent (as is the MAD pack)--but keep in mind that while there's nothing preventing you from getting both IS and Clan mechs, it does require a certain duplication of purchases.

Clan tech is very expensive, if you want to downgrade a Kodiak engine it will be a pain AND you can only use it with Kodiaks. If you're at the beginning, I would focus on your IS collection.

Edited by invernomuto, 25 May 2016 - 08:07 AM.

#16 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:43 AM

View PostMadMax71, on 25 May 2016 - 07:07 AM, said:

YES that is the plan Posted Image
Thank you for you reply mate.

You're welcome, best of luck and welcome to MWO!

#17 GLaDOSauR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 142 posts
  • LocationEating your cake while you're not looking.

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:30 AM

View PostYlca, on 25 May 2016 - 11:27 AM, said:

quote deleted, original post deleted, user isnt allowed to post right now

Question: Where do you get all your information about player numbers, refunds, etc. ? I'd like to be enlightened. Posted Image

Edit: sorry OP but it seems like your post got derailed by a notable de-railer of late. Your questions have mostly been answered though, so I'll be on my way.

Edited by Catalina Steiner, 25 May 2016 - 12:23 PM.

#18 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:32 AM

@MadMax71

Apologies for the thread hijacking, whilest most of us are more'n willing to help out the new folk, well... Internet. Feel free to open another thread or respond to this one if you've more questions. We'll still be here to help.

~Leone.

#19 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:22 AM

Comments on the Black Knight.
Definitely one the best - if not THE best - heavy in the game. Possibly the best mechs regardless of weight classes.

However, they are not very beginner friendly.
To get the most out of them you have to run a XL motor and typically a weapons payload that is VERY VERY hot.
Also, with the exception of the head hard point, all the weapons sit very very low.

This means you need to be very good with positioning, torso twisting and heat management. Not a problem for an advanced player, but pretty frustrating for new players.
Unless you are very patient, I would not recommend learning those things on a Black Knight either.

On balance, you could run a standard motor and a relatively undergunned but cooler weapons payload. However, you better off doing that in a different chasis altogether (try the Thunderbolt instead).

#20 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:48 PM

Two more question,

View PostBoogie138, on 27 May 2016 - 02:22 AM, said:

Comments on the Black Knight.
Definitely one the best - if not THE best - heavy in the game. Possibly the best mechs regardless of weight classes.

However, they are not very beginner friendly.
To get the most out of them you have to run a XL motor and typically a weapons payload that is VERY VERY hot.
Also, with the exception of the head hard point, all the weapons sit very very low.

This means you need to be very good with positioning, torso twisting and heat management. Not a problem for an advanced player, but pretty frustrating for new players.
Unless you are very patient, I would not recommend learning those things on a Black Knight either.

On balance, you could run a standard motor and a relatively undergunned but cooler weapons payload. However, you better off doing that in a different chasis altogether (try the Thunderbolt instead).

OP: Figure out whether you want competitive or variety.

I've never piloted one, but the BL-KNT is one of the best heavies I've ever faced.

That being said, it's all lasers, all the time. If you like Energy, good. If you're dedicated to learning to play a hard 'mech (see Boogie's post) that will pay huge dividends in terms of kills and Cbills, good, buy the BL-KNT.

If you want to run an AC or some SRMs or LRMs, get something else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users